Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 105442 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #1170 on: 06 August 2024, 11:05:01 »
Yes, 1 ton suits keeps it simple.  I was surprised when I looked that the Blizzard, Saxon, and Winterhawk were not listed.  They were general market and saw merc use b/c House rejected.  Heck, the Maltier is on the list which is more niche.

But it is not a mech so that could be a simple reason.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1171 on: 06 August 2024, 12:22:57 »
Don't forget that the Planetlifter is always an option. 20 tons is a lot of space even with the advanced weights, and folks often forget that it's a conventional fighter, and thus fully capable of clearing an LZ with bombs. Multiple squads of BADC-dropped Marauders and/or Ravagers landing in a freshly-made moonscape is a great way to say "This is MY mapsheet." :cool:
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1172 on: 06 August 2024, 21:54:53 »
I'd end up using the advanced weights, but it's bern years since I've played.  The Ravager and the Marauder seem to work best in a defensive stance or as a means to hold ground while faster units advance, and I imagine they're nasty in a city. That Light TAG on the Marauder ties in well with the Tetsudo's Arrow IV and all of those Longbows that Starcorps seems to be selling.I am surprised they didn't make a battle taxi variant of the Gladius.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1173 on: 07 August 2024, 10:07:53 »
It would be hilarious if the Gladius went the Hetzer route, and we got a variant for almost every job .. :cool:
My wife writes books

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1174 on: 07 August 2024, 10:13:41 »
Be happy if they put the original Gladius back into production instead of the 2.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1175 on: 08 August 2024, 21:54:05 »
It would be hilarious if the Gladius went the Hetzer route, and we got a variant for almost every job .. :cool:

It's a solid chassis to go with, though you would have issues in forest, but you can use other transports to deal with that.  I am surprised we don't have a Gladius with an LB-10X or Ultra AC/10 given how many Centurions that are our there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1176 on: 08 August 2024, 22:40:14 »
Because they shifted to the Gladius II when Taurian Pontiacs (ironically) were no longer available on the market.
Colt Ward

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1177 on: 09 August 2024, 08:12:03 »
I wasn't aware they'd shifted completely to the II, as opposed to building both.
My wife writes books

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1178 on: 09 August 2024, 08:22:22 »
What?

You guys don't use Rapid Fire in your Games?

Great way to hose ppl down...

And technically, a Saladin stripped is available, just because it has the Clan Cargo moniker doesn't mean you can't use it in as a stripped version.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1179 on: 09 August 2024, 11:34:04 »
I wasn't aware they'd shifted completely to the II, as opposed to building both.

Pretty sure that was the II's fluff, which makes no sense when they started producing their own LBX 10s but we never got a Gladius upgrade to LBX either.
Colt Ward

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1180 on: 09 August 2024, 14:09:34 »
When did the II get fluff, for that matter? I just remember a sheet showing up.
My wife writes books

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1181 on: 09 August 2024, 14:37:44 »
Says TRO3060, the Gladius ended production b/c the Pontiac AC/10 supply was cut off when Jeff Calderon became Protector.  I want to say some of the MWDA info said the Gladius II was the replacement b/c the supply stoppage.
Colt Ward

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1182 on: 09 August 2024, 15:06:12 »
If you can find the text talking about the II, I'd love to know, please. :)
My wife writes books

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1183 on: 09 August 2024, 18:57:36 »
Says TRO3060, the Gladius ended production b/c the Pontiac AC/10 supply was cut off when Jeff Calderon became Protector.  I want to say some of the MWDA info said the Gladius II was the replacement b/c the supply stoppage.

Taurian Protector Grover Shraplen authorized the licensing of the Maultier design to Marian Arms shortly after Julius O’Reilly took power, and in 3066 also lifted the previous Protector’s ban on importing the Gladius Pontiac 50 AC/10. Profi ts from the weapon sales are presumably going to fi nance the Taurian Concordat’s ongoing campaign in the Pleiades Cluster.

HB:MPS, pg. 162

Taurian Protector Grover Shraplen authorized the licensing of the Maultier design to Marian Arms shortly after Julius O’Reilly took power. In 3066 Shraplen lifted the previous Protector’s ban on importing the Gladius Pontiac 50 AC/10. Cassius’s government has encouraged this relationship with the Concordat and is even exploring the possibility of exporting arms to the Magistracy of Canopus. Cassius is looking for sources of hard currency to buy the BattleMechs his defense industry cannot build.

M&M: TSD, pg. 200

Now, there is not much fluff on the Gladius Mk. II, but there is this:

Alphard Trading Corporation catered to the realities of the Marian Hegemony and produced an ICE-powered model that dispenses with complex energy weapons in favor of the near-ubiquitous Pontiac light autocannon.

RecGuide: IlClan #32, pg. 4, J.Edgar Light Hover Tank entry.

MUL gives 3070 as Introduction Date for the J.edgar (LAC), and 3073 for the Gladius Mk. II, so i can assume that either the MH-TC trade is still firm, or the Marians finally bought the Pontiac 50/Light licence from Stereope.

PD: Doh, almost forgot. BattleCorps MilSpec article. But i dont know its canonicity right now.

GLADIUS MEDIUM HOVER TANK MK II
Mass: 40 tons
Movement Type: Hover
Power Plant: Omni 145 ICE
Cruising Speed: 86 kph
Maximum Speed: 130 kph
Armor: Marian Arms Standard
Armament:

1 Pontiac Light AC/5
4 GM Minigun Light Machine Gun (arrayed)
4 Death Blossom Rocket Launcher/15

Communications System: Garret T10B
Targeting & Tracking System: O/P 911

The resumption of trade between the Marian Hegemony and the Taurian Concordat in the wake of Protector Grover Shraplen’s rise to the Protectorship allowed production of the Gladius Medium Hovertank to resume on Alphard, which meant an increase in the available vehicles to the Marian Legions and the Taurian Defense Force. This surplus was put to good use after the failed Circinan invasion and the resumption of partisan violence in the Lothario districts.

In 3073 a new model Gladius was observed in action on Bromhead, and Com Guard SigInt has recently obtained copies of the ROMs of this vehicle in action. The Pontiac autocannon—formerly a bone of contention between the Concordat and the Hegemony—has been replaced by a new Pontiac light autocannon. The increase in available mass allowed Hegemony designers to add four light machine guns tied together into an array alongside the forward-firing Pontiac. Four disposable pods of Death Blossom rockets were added to the tank’s bow. Together these modifications make the Gladius a far more deadly city-fighter, able to deal with enemy tanks or infantry with ease. The Death Blossoms ensure that any enemy thinking the Gladius easy meat because of the smaller autocannon will be met with a powerful barrage.

The presence of the light autocannon on this tank, along with the Clint BattleMech, makes us suspect the Taurians may have stolen more than just the machine gun array technology from the Davions.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2024, 19:02:48 by Baldur Mekorig »
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1184 on: 11 August 2024, 14:13:18 »
Don't forget that the Planetlifter is always an option. 20 tons is a lot of space even with the advanced weights, and folks often forget that it's a conventional fighter, and thus fully capable of clearing an LZ with bombs. Multiple squads of BADC-dropped Marauders and/or Ravagers landing in a freshly-made moonscape is a great way to say "This is MY mapsheet." :cool:
I have over the years "landed" scrap metal more planetlifters then I care to admit
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #1185 on: 29 August 2024, 07:40:50 »
I have two questions:

First, at what level does the MHAF organize into combined arms forces? Are there any examples of mixed Maniples? Centuries?

Second, what are the colors for the Legions Auxilia? Do they follow the lead of the command they're attached to or do they have their own standardized scheme?
Welcome to interesting times

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1186 on: 30 August 2024, 07:15:09 »
Well, Let Slip Dogs of War is out- MH is the antagonists in the book.

As the Marian Hegemony works to expand its holdings and seize planets from the Free Worlds League, the Ghost Dogs—led by the redoubtable veteran Colonel Hank Mallory—have been hired to defend the world of Hammer.

Outnumbered three to one against the superior forces of Legatus Quintus Liberalis, the Ghost Dogs will have to pull not one but four aces out of their sleeves to defend the capital and fulfill their contract without losing their lives…
Colt Ward

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1187 on: 30 August 2024, 10:51:50 »

As the Marian Hegemony works to expand its holdings and seize planets from the Free Worlds League, the Ghost Dogs—led by the redoubtable veteran Colonel Hank Mallory—have been hired to defend the world of Hammer.

Outnumbered three to one against the superior forces of Legatus Quintus Liberalis, the Ghost Dogs will have to pull not one but four aces out of their sleeves to defend the capital and fulfill their contract without losing their lives…

More fluff written by writers who know nothing about the Hegemony and who only give us fluff from idiots and incompetents.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1188 on: 30 August 2024, 10:54:09 »
I have two questions:

First, at what level does the MHAF organize into combined arms forces? Are there any examples of mixed Maniples? Centuries?

Second, what are the colors for the Legions Auxilia? Do they follow the lead of the command they're attached to or do they have their own standardized scheme?

As far as I know, the Auxilia Legions wear the same colours as their Patron Legion, perhaps there is some shade in some secondary colour.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1189 on: 30 August 2024, 11:04:08 »
More fluff written by writers who know nothing about the Hegemony and who only give us fluff from idiots and incompetents.

Set in 3148 with the MHAF invading a Tamarind world.  The protagonists are the Kell Hounds company that got left in the cold after Malvina used Ortillery.

Just a short way in and the treatment is not that negative.  One PoV character mentally monologues about how the MH mechs are fighting as smart as the KH vets, not making anything easy.

So far the MHAF mechs are a pair of LBX/LRM/ML armed Centurions, a Bandersnatch, and a UrbanMech sporting a flamer- no other weapon mentioned.
Colt Ward

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1190 on: 30 August 2024, 11:31:15 »
Set in 3148 with the MHAF invading a Tamarind world.  The protagonists are the Kell Hounds company that got left in the cold after Malvina used Ortillery.

Just a short way in and the treatment is not that negative.  One PoV character mentally monologues about how the MH mechs are fighting as smart as the KH vets, not making anything easy.

So far the MHAF mechs are a pair of LBX/LRM/ML armed Centurions, a Bandersnatch, and a UrbanMech sporting a flamer- no other weapon mentioned.

So for now, in what you read, the hegemonic powers are not as imbecile and incompetent as in the author's previous stories.
Let's say that it is a small progress in being benevolent with the author, although we know how it will all end, we will trip over our shoes again.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1191 on: 30 August 2024, 11:36:46 »
At least this time, did the author remember that we form groups of 5, or is he still missing that great detail?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1192 on: 30 August 2024, 17:31:13 »
Bryan Young is on the forum if you’d rather bitch to his face about something you haven’t read

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #1193 on: 30 August 2024, 18:03:59 »

Is it of a similar quality to Isolde's War, the short story featuring Isolde Centrella from Legends II? That one made me feel like the Marians have some major problems incoming IC/OOC.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1194 on: 31 August 2024, 04:38:31 »
Is it of a similar quality to Isolde's War, the short story featuring Isolde Centrella from Legends II? That one made me feel like the Marians have some major problems incoming IC/OOC.

That's what I think, except for a few exceptions, I can't find an author who treats them decently. As for the story you mention, I read it and it seemed pretty poor to me. When I get my salary, I'll buy this ebook and draw my own conclusions, but from what I've been told, it's going down the same path as Isolda War, just a little less ornate.
Apart from that, I've looked for an Urbanmech with a flamethrower and I can't find it. Any idea if it's a new model?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1195 on: 31 August 2024, 08:23:04 »
That's what I think, except for a few exceptions, I can't find an author who treats them decently. As for the story you mention, I read it and it seemed pretty poor to me. When I get my salary, I'll buy this ebook and draw my own conclusions, but from what I've been told, it's going down the same path as Isolda War, just a little less ornate.
Apart from that, I've looked for an Urbanmech with a flamethrower and I can't find it. Any idea if it's a new model?

Can't find an UrbanMech with a flamethrower, but the -R93 does have a plasma rifle.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1196 on: 31 August 2024, 08:35:30 »
Can't find an UrbanMech with a flamethrower, but the -R93 does have a plasma rifle.

I asked about the Urbie with Flamethrower because of Colt Ward's comment on the novel. If it is a plasma rifle, perhaps the author was confused or we are dealing with a new Urbie of Marian production about which we know nothing. I will read the novel myself and see if he comments on anything else.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1197 on: 31 August 2024, 09:12:43 »
You're probably right. Perhaps new production or a typo error. Let's see how your reading goes

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1198 on: 31 August 2024, 11:59:55 »
You're probably right. Perhaps new production or a typo error. Let's see how your reading goes

Or the Hegemony had been buying mechs all over the Inner Sphere and rebuilding them, giving us a 1 off.
Colt Ward

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1199 on: 31 August 2024, 12:18:46 »
Or the Hegemony had been buying mechs all over the Inner Sphere and rebuilding them, giving us a 1 off.

It is also a possibility, although the Hegemony according to the fluff has been building its own mechs with SL tech (Withworth Fluff) since 3138, and taking into account those unclear ties with Capella who tells you that they have not been sold a license to make something as unremarkable as an Urbanmech perhaps by Marian Arms, the ATC or Hadrian anything is possible, as well as the Salvage Boys of the Hegemony having put together a chain of refits of Urbies

Register