Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen  (Read 80494 times)

Davout73

• Captain
Re: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen
« Reply #90 on: 26 June 2021, 11:07:55 »
Yours remains a terrific profile pic.  Welcome back.

Matt

Thanks!  Scares people even more when I tell them it's not a photoshop job....
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #91 on: 26 June 2021, 11:32:32 »
They do have a brainstorming session and all that, but isn't he also the franchise owner or something?

No and Yes. Loren Coleman is a partner of InMediaRe which to my knowledge still owns Catalyst Game Labs, but Catalyst is not the owner of Battletech. Catalyst licenses Battletech from Topps, the card and game company, along with Shadowrun. Topps acquired Battletech from Wizkids who had bought the line from FASA. Now here is where I probably am going to go a bit too insane. Topps is partially owned by Michael Eisner, former Disney CEO and a 1000 times better one than Bob "AntiCreative" Iger, through the Tornante Corporation.

Video Game rights are a mess for Battletech as well. Essentially, they belonged to FASA who gave to them to FASA Interactive, a subsidiary. FASA Interactive got absorbed by Microsoft. Microsoft eventually sold them to Harebrained Schemes who was owned by Jordan Weissman who formally owned FASA. And then they got bought by Paradox.

So in short, game rights are owned by Paradox. The development of the original line is licensed to Catalyst. But ultimately, the full power of the universe belongs to Michael Eisner as Chairman of Topps, but he probably has no idea that Topps owns it.

And no, I have no idea who owns the chain of title for anything involving live action or animated properties for Battletech. Considering the insanity of Saban Entertainment's contracts, and the the fact that most of their animated titles from the 90s are in a Disney vault thanks to the acquisition of the original Saban Entertainment through Fox Family Channel in 2001 by the Disney Corporation. I'd imagine that Disney somehow owns them, and doesn't even know or really care as they are too busy remaking perfectly good animated movies into bland live actions movies for . . . reasons. So that is speculation there.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #92 on: 27 June 2021, 07:24:19 »
So I am getting the impression that there is a lot of "Handwavium" being used to fit a particular storyline into the universe...

Long story short, yes. The Suns is forced to relive the First Succession War on two fronts while conveniently forgetting the lessons of centuries of reforms designed to safeguard against exactly that. Caleb Davion is genius enough to destroy all those safeguards and the deep state of all that.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 27 June 2021, 07:29:46 »
No and Yes. Loren Coleman is a partner of InMediaRe which to my knowledge still owns Catalyst Game Labs, but Catalyst is not the owner of Battletech. Catalyst licenses Battletech from Topps, the card and game company, along with Shadowrun. Topps acquired Battletech from Wizkids who had bought the line from FASA. Now here is where I probably am going to go a bit too insane. Topps is partially owned by Michael Eisner, former Disney CEO and a 1000 times better one than Bob "AntiCreative" Iger, through the Tornante Corporation.

Video Game rights are a mess for Battletech as well. Essentially, they belonged to FASA who gave to them to FASA Interactive, a subsidiary. FASA Interactive got absorbed by Microsoft. Microsoft eventually sold them to Harebrained Schemes who was owned by Jordan Weissman who formally owned FASA. And then they got bought by Paradox.

So in short, game rights are owned by Paradox. The development of the original line is licensed to Catalyst. But ultimately, the full power of the universe belongs to Michael Eisner as Chairman of Topps, but he probably has no idea that Topps owns it.

And no, I have no idea who owns the chain of title for anything involving live action or animated properties for Battletech. Considering the insanity of Saban Entertainment's contracts, and the the fact that most of their animated titles from the 90s are in a Disney vault thanks to the acquisition of the original Saban Entertainment through Fox Family Channel in 2001 by the Disney Corporation. I'd imagine that Disney somehow owns them, and doesn't even know or really care as they are too busy remaking perfectly good animated movies into bland live actions movies for . . . reasons. So that is speculation there.

That is a really convoluted line of IP history.

Although with HBS regaining the video game rights, hopefully there will be more Battletech titles other than PGI MW. MechCommander is sorely missed.

For films or TV series, a new animated series or TV mini-series would be the most realistic choices.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 27 June 2021, 12:15:37 »
Long story short, yes. The Suns is forced to relive the First Succession War on two fronts while conveniently forgetting the lessons of centuries of reforms designed to safeguard against exactly that. Caleb Davion is genius enough to destroy all those safeguards and the deep state of all that.

Yay....something to look forward too...unless I have like yardwork or a honey-do list to work on....

You know one of the things I like about working in my KNT universe, and now that I've gone back to it, is that you had to make thing reasonably believable. No wild leaps of technology, no Mary Sues, no extraordinary plot devices...it actually forces you to think about what your doing and avoid anything to wild...

I may just skip the jihad and the dark ages...
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #95 on: 27 June 2021, 16:58:39 »
Yay....something to look forward too...unless I have like yardwork or a honey-do list to work on....

You know one of the things I like about working in my KNT universe, and now that I've gone back to it, is that you had to make thing reasonably believable. No wild leaps of technology, no Mary Sues, no extraordinary plot devices...it actually forces you to think about what your doing and avoid anything to wild...

Oh heck the Jihad was actually in many ways, lots of fun.  Sure we got mauled, but the FS came out of it
(despite some hideous moments of stupidity) rather well.  Showed more spine as a faction than it had for
a good long time.  The battles for New Avalon are frankly epic, all the more so in the Isle of the Blessed
story. 

Later the questionable rationale for the universe going into the DA, didn't help.  But I think right now,
the FS is in one of the most interesting places it's ever been.  But I remain oddly optimistic.

I'm just fervently hoping the writing staff, do not screw it or us up.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #96 on: 27 June 2021, 22:47:34 »
I haven't gone by 97jedi since I nuked that account. But I'm still here.

Been a long time 97Jedi. Hope you are doing well.

Many of the old guard have long since moved on.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2021, 22:51:43 by Force of Nature »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 28 June 2021, 06:10:05 »

Rorke has the right of it though. Do check out the epic defense of New Avalon during the Jihad. The siege and the AFFS forcing the Blakists off-world was a story of true grit. There was even some nice Davion history written in the Age of War section of TRO3075.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #98 on: 28 June 2021, 11:44:47 »
Been a long time 97Jedi. Hope you are doing well.

Back atcha, Force.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #99 on: 02 July 2021, 17:10:53 »
I just finished the first draft of my second novel! It came in at 100,078 words, 308 pages. All goals met, and I'm happy. Already had my celebratory grilled ribeye, but now I'm thinking ice cream is in order. Hope all's well with you gents!

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #100 on: 07 July 2021, 10:13:56 »
Ice Cream is practically life support here right now.

The Nordic region is hotter than I've ever experienced, in twelve years
living in Finland.  I usually love summers, five months of snow will do
that to you :p  But this right now, is awful.  But I understand the
Pacific NW of N America has had similar recently. 

Oh and least I'm not in a city, sheesh don't miss overly hot weather
in a concrete jungle.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 08 July 2021, 06:21:27 »
Freak weather. Take care everyone

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #102 on: 08 July 2021, 12:18:29 »
I do believe I've got my new author photo for the back cover of the new book.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 09 July 2021, 06:39:27 »
Reminds one of Sergeant Slaughter from GI Joe. Good childhood memory

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #104 on: 09 July 2021, 21:55:22 »
Does anyone ever see or hear from or know what Welshman is doing these days?  Or Foxbat?
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #105 on: 10 July 2021, 07:56:57 »
I looked them up, neither has been active on here for about five or six years.

Regrettable, likeable chaps the pair of them.  Assume real life is keeping them
occupied, hopefully only pleasantly!
« Last Edit: 10 July 2021, 08:47:25 by Rorke »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 10 July 2021, 10:36:58 »
Wow, I didn’t realize it’d been that long since Welshman was around.  I knew he posted less down here once he got into working for TPTB, but hadn’t realized he’d dropped off entirely.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 10 July 2021, 12:48:46 »
3CL posted recently.
*tries setting out the Hedgehog signal*

Also, good to see you again, Stoner, my favorite Mandrill ;)

Also, question for Rorke. What was your favorite type of Admin work to do in SL? I was a results and later units admin on the MW3 side. Results was a bit stressful at times. Arbitration .... was getting two people who were acting like kids to act like adults.  Units was the most fun for me and involved meshing people with into where they wanted to be or, if that wasn't available, the closest fit. The sad part was shutting down the inactives.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #108 on: 10 July 2021, 15:32:37 »
Oh heck Starlance Admin work.

Was all about resolving conflicts to be honest, lived for that.  I was a retail
manager at the time, so it was like an easier version of work.  We didn't ever
mess with units, wasn't any need to thankfully.  I wish I had a better memory,
mine has always been sorta poor.  I'd struggle to name any of the admin
team from just MC now. 

I'm still in touch with a couple of people from those days on FB, and they still
like to tease me about my (pre admin) tendencies to destroy idiots on the SL
forums.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #109 on: 11 July 2021, 23:07:57 »
Does anyone ever see or hear from or know what Welshman is doing these days?  Or Foxbat?

Apparently, Welshman was last active September 4, 2020 still with the TPTB badge and all. As for Foxbat, he hasn't been active since January 18, 2016, so I hope he is still out there reading some Rousseau. 

Anyhow, hi Generalstoner. How are things?

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #110 on: 12 July 2021, 10:08:07 »
I can not complain.  Life with a teenager now can be rough and expensive some days but overall life is good.  Still working in time for tabletop.

In a few years when my daughter goes to college I will be moving to Georgia so excited about that!
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #111 on: 14 July 2021, 11:12:36 »
So I have a question for my fellow AFFS fans.

What is the Organization Structure of "Space Marines" in the AFFS (FC/LC)?

My thoughts/options.

1.  FM:FS has 2 types of infantry orgs......Standard & Spec Ops using Base-3 Platoons/Company v/s Base-4 Platoons/Company

2.  In some product, long ago, (IDR where) there was a line about Marines being similar to Jump Infantry due to their extra gear for EV/0-G maneuvering.
This was before Tac Ops gave us the actual weights to create "Marines" as custom infantry.   But I always keep it in mind.

So I'm wondering, do we have any actual canon examples?

You could end up with 4 different options for company size......

63 Troops  =  3 Platoons at 21 Each
84 Troops  =  4 Platoons at 21 Each
84 Troops  =  3 Platoons at 28 Each
112 Troops = 4 Platoons at 28 Each

For the record, I really like now the 2nd/3rd option ends up with the same # of troops.

So how do you classify them?  Regs or SpecOps?
And how many squads/platoon do you use?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 14 July 2021, 14:34:44 »
I've always considered AFFS Marine units to be similar to AFFS Line Infantry units, just with additional training and gear, so 3 platoons of 28 men is how I show them.

Spec Ops are things like Rabid Fox units and what not.  I doubt that you'd ever see a full Company of them at any one time, but there has to be an organizational level where they exist before being deployed, hence the 4 platoons of 28 note.

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #113 on: 22 July 2021, 14:16:32 »
According to Tactical Operations [page 341] marine units typically have 4 squads with up to 10 marines per squad. According to Sarna.net marines are typically armed with laser weaponry.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #114 on: 25 July 2021, 18:58:09 »
Immensely tenuous, but I've just discovered they've made a Homeworld RPG. 

Well maybe not it does sometimes involve Marines, just in another setting.

I am beyond myself at the notion of such a thing, my adoration of the series
is rather strong.  I've nobody to play with, but honestly just seeing more
lore is enough to make it somewhat essential.  That's made my day, just before
I go to bed hehe.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #115 on: 28 July 2021, 13:44:24 »
Sounds almost like myself and Traveller these days. I ended up finding some used MegaTraveller materials at the FLGS last week, and though I'll never use them, I picked them up.

Otherwise, life's been lots of stuff supporting my wife on the farm.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #116 on: 03 August 2021, 18:38:09 »
Sounds almost like myself and Traveller these days. I ended up finding some used MegaTraveller materials at the FLGS last week, and though I'll never use them, I picked them up.

Otherwise, life's been lots of stuff supporting my wife on the farm.

Did you ever get any Challenge magazine, the old GDW publication?  Not always easy to get in the UK in
the 90s, but I've still I think got a couple of dozen.  Great publication, and endearingly publisher agnostic
which was welcome.  Ahhh happy days.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #117 on: 03 August 2021, 19:02:10 »
Never got Challenge, but I did buy the complete set of JTAS a few years back from DriveThruRPG a few years back. Marc Miller's selling all the back catalogue at reasonable prices for PDFs.

I just wish CGL would sell the older BattleTech rulebooks for nostalgia's sake.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #118 on: 03 August 2021, 19:31:14 »
I think I've got some issues of Challenge, as they had BT stuff once in a while.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #119 on: 04 August 2021, 18:05:10 »
I think I've got some issues of Challenge, as they had BT stuff once in a while.

Yeah they did.  Some of that stuff even occasionally filtered into the actual rules, as best I recall
field guns were originally a Challenge article thing.