Author Topic: Base color for 3rd MAC  (Read 2039 times)

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Base color for 3rd MAC
« on: 23 July 2021, 10:18:15 »
Hello,

I am looking for a recommendation.   What paint color ,GW or otherwise, is good as a base color for the 3rd MAC.  The cooper/red brown theme.

I prefer the more muted tone. similar to the one done my Archer on Camospecs

Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 July 2021, 15:33:13 by Louie N »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Base color for 3rd MAC
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2021, 15:38:14 »
Well, the CSO says it's copper, not red-brown, just saying.

You could consider Hashut Copper with a wash in Carroburg Crimson wash. I find the red wash a little muddy, compared to others, and this would darken things down. Just don't apply with a heavy brush, and soak off any pooling.

Alternatively, the image you're choosing doesn't look (to me) copper at all. It looks more like red-brown with almost a light drybrush of grey over the top. Doombull Brown or Mournfang Brown look close as non-metallics. Maybe even Mournfang Brown with a light Carroburg Crimson wash, then a the light drybrush, would replicate the image? And blend with the grey details?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2021, 11:59:51 »
Maybe it's my monitor, but that picture looks decidedly purple to me...  ???

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2021, 01:53:50 »
I used a TurboDork metallic paint and then washed it a few times with a brown GW wash.

https://turbodork.com/collections/metallic-paints/products/two-cents

Hmm maybe this will work...
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/821964055384162310/859589277499261006/image0.jpg
« Last Edit: 01 August 2021, 02:10:37 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2021, 03:51:46 »
That's a sharp Cat, but looks more bronze than copper to these old eyes:

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2021, 04:27:02 »
It’s not quite as dull/muted in person, my lighting is limited.

I don’t know how burnished steel became yellow tho. Once I had washed it a few times I looked and thought red and yellow would look way to similar over the top and had to double check, I hadn’t ever payed too much attention to the text just the pictures. Lo and behold, no mention of red/yellow at all, just silver.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2021, 18:12:25 »
The best metallics on the market are Vallejo Metal color, or so say most of the professional painters I've ever seen.

Expensive, but a widely praised product.

I've used Reaper metallics extensively.  I find them superior to GW paints, especially the metallics.

I would prime with black. Paint copper and leave as much of the black in recesses as possible. Wash it with a black wash if you need to mute it. A brown wash would be interesting.  Highlight from there as desired.

If you really want to bring out the panel lines, use black oil paint to Pin Line. TAMIYA makes a custom bottle with a tiny brush in the cap. That an some mineral spirits and some Qtips and your lines will jump off the mech.

With paint schemes that are a single color, picking some other colors that break up the uniformity is important.  Barrels, cockpit, lights, etc. Get some other color in there that makes it interesting.  If you want break with the Canon and add an accent. A color compliment in a small amount will be interesting. Copper is a warm color. Choose a cool accent. (Green
, Blue, purple) if you are desaturating the color (adding a neutral)  make the accent towards the pure color.  Unless you want the whole mech to look washed out and understate the accents.

You could prime with a black/green and bring some of that out. (Again leaving the cool shadows)

Register