Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run  (Read 141759 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Upcoming Releases XXI: Urbie's Beer Run
« Reply #1350 on: 12 December 2021, 22:02:13 »
It would be very nice to actually get record sheets for all the 3150 mechs that were mentioned but never published, yes.  But I doubt it would be part of the Rec Guide compilation.
Considering all the new record sheets we're getting, I am a bit surprised we still don't have 3150 Unabridged and such.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Eisenwolf

• Sergeant
  • Martius Lupus
« Reply #1351 on: 12 December 2021, 23:22:42 »
Or TRO: Prototypes for that matter...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1352 on: 12 December 2021, 23:24:01 »
At this point, Prototypes feels like it was largely abandoned.  I don't even think that any of the variants in it were even referenced in the Dark Age.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1353 on: 12 December 2021, 23:30:17 »
It would be very nice to actually get record sheets for all the 3150 mechs that were mentioned but never published, yes.

Or TRO: Prototypes for that matter...

Or 3039, or 3067, or 3085, or... O:-)
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1354 on: 12 December 2021, 23:35:35 »
What stuff in 3039 or 3067 was never published?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1355 on: 12 December 2021, 23:41:24 »
Which currently available product has record sheets for the Monitor, Sea Skimmer, or Neptune? Where are the sheets for all the WarShips published in '67 found?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1356 on: 13 December 2021, 00:22:39 »
Did some number crunching and yikes, those record sheets. Through v22 we're at 220 pages of standard readout content and 535 record sheets (not including the two missing Stinger C boys). There has been an average of 24 sheets per volume so the total page count (excluding the three page boiler plate cover and credits pages) should top out around 825-840 pages. Two volumes seems a bit out of reach if 100% of the RS are included. Alternatively, if zero RS were inserted it would fit pretty neatly into one volume. With all of the RS already created I might suggest concurrently releasing a PDF RS volume.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1357 on: 13 December 2021, 00:36:12 »
Which currently available product has record sheets for the Monitor, Sea Skimmer, or Neptune? Where are the sheets for all the WarShips published in '67 found?

Didn't realize we hadn't got record sheets for any of those.

Daritus1988

• Sergeant
« Reply #1358 on: 13 December 2021, 03:11:59 »
Last Record Sheet (as I know) with Profiles for thoise Naval Vessels was RS:3039.

TRO Classic Redux could include Mechs, Vehicle ect. which came with later TROs but are availalble for earlier Eras.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2021, 03:15:54 by Daritus1988 »

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #1359 on: 13 December 2021, 08:39:52 »
Did some number crunching and yikes, those record sheets. Through v22 we're at 220 pages of standard readout content and 535 record sheets (not including the two missing Stinger C boys). There has been an average of 24 sheets per volume so the total page count (excluding the three page boiler plate cover and credits pages) should top out around 825-840 pages. Two volumes seems a bit out of reach if 100% of the RS are included. Alternatively, if zero RS were inserted it would fit pretty neatly into one volume. With all of the RS already created I might suggest concurrently releasing a PDF RS volume.

I'd been Wondering about the Page Count myself.  I figure they could do 2 ilClan TROs, 1 each for the IS and Clan designs.  As for the Record Sheets, they've split those in the past into 2 Volumes for a couple of products.  I've got PDFs of RS: 3050U: Clan & Star League and 3050U: Inner Sphere.  Then I've got 3085 Unabridged: The Cutting Edge and 3085 Unabridged: Project Phoenix.  So there's "Precedent" for it being done at least.

Personally, I'd rather they include ALL the designs, rather than cutting ANYTHING out.  Sure, there are probably a few I don't care much for, but as a Completionist, if I have them in the PDFs, I'd like to have them in Print as well.   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1360 on: 13 December 2021, 08:42:59 »

For my pennies, (as I have to manually re-create the RS in HMP anyway), a seperate version without the RS would suit me fine - makes it easier to store in my bookcase. But I'm aware I'm in a minority. (As always...)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1361 on: 13 December 2021, 09:45:42 »
Since TRO Golden Century and TRO Irregulars have had sheets with them, i wonder if that is the plan for future TROs. This would mean massive 3039-sized TROs probably aren't feasible as required sheets would push them too big.
The era-compilation TROs don't have sheets though, then again they are redux products with sheets elsewhere.
I do wonder if pure RS products are poor sellers. I mean, there's some we never got...

Even if you cut RS, that would mean nearly 250 page TRO, TRO3050U-size. I'm thinking maybe that's too big. RS compilation itself would be very big.
For contrast, IlClan, Battle of Tukayyid are both about 200 pages. TRO Irregulars and Golden Century are around 150 pages each. BattleMech Manual is 150 pages.
Granted, Campaign Ops new edition and halved TacOps are over 200 pages each but as full-rulebooks, they're special cases.

Either way, i'm pretty sure Cubby and Adrian have noted a RecGuide compilation won't have everything.
Logically making it about the new 'Mechs only would be the simplest solution. That's 24 'Mechs, and say 4 RS per 'Mech on average, for total of 150ish pages.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1362 on: 13 December 2021, 10:11:44 »
Either way, i'm pretty sure Cubby and Adrian have noted a RecGuide compilation won't have everything.

I may have said that a single volume can't have everything--as others have noted, that'd end up being the size of the Hoboken phonebook. I don't think I've ever said things would be left out? If I did, that may have been my belief at the time, but it's been a moving target since before vol. 1 came out.

FWIW, we do have a plan now for collecting these volumes, which we'll share once it's completely locked in. (And not before the last two volumes publish.) This discussion is fine--though it needs to be moved yet again to another thread and not clog up this one--but it's not going to influence that plan.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1363 on: 13 December 2021, 10:53:09 »
Since TRO Golden Century and TRO Irregulars have had sheets with them, i wonder if that is the plan for future TROs. This would mean massive 3039-sized TROs probably aren't feasible as required sheets would push them too big.
The era-compilation TROs don't have sheets though, then again they are redux products with sheets elsewhere.

Didn't someone say in one of the AMAs that was the plan, all TRO-type things have the RSs so on-boarding players (not us old farts) have everything they need to play that mech, time now?

Speaking of which, I wonder when the next AMA is?  The KS emails have been great about keeping us informed about the state of the game, but I love the wildness of the AMAs that start in ONE place and, like a good D&D campaign, end up WAAYYY outside expectations.  ;D ;D

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1364 on: 13 December 2021, 10:54:47 »
I may have said that a single volume can't have everything--as others have noted, that'd end up being the size of the Hoboken phonebook.
Oh, that makes more sense than just one partial compilation i suppose.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1365 on: 13 December 2021, 10:57:13 »
Didn't someone say in one of the AMAs that was the plan, all TRO-type things have the RSs so on-boarding players (not us old farts) have everything they need to play that mech, time now?

Speaking of which, I wonder when the next AMA is?  The KS emails have been great about keeping us informed about the state of the game, but I love the wildness of the AMAs that start in ONE place and, like a good D&D campaign, end up WAAYYY outside expectations.  ;D ;D

They're working on getting a Harmony Gold rep and a dunk tank linked to the Interwebs, but so far the trap is still empty.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1366 on: 13 December 2021, 11:48:52 »
I don't think I've ever said things would be left out? If I did, that may have been my belief at the time, but it's been a moving target since before vol. 1 came out.

the idea that there will be an abridged print version probably comes from the language of the product description:

many ’Mechs featured in this series will be collected as a single print volume upon its completion.

not strictly saying there will be an abridged print volume, but the wording leaves the door open that it could be. in a classic model of internet transmission of ideas, it became "it will be truncated." good times

glad to hear a plan is in place

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1367 on: 13 December 2021, 12:04:14 »
Memory is also notoriously unreliable. Brain really like to reconstruct memories in a way that alters them...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1368 on: 13 December 2021, 12:37:48 »
This is eased by the fact that the textual evidence is in plain sight

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1369 on: 13 December 2021, 12:55:37 »
This is eased by the fact that the textual evidence is in plain sight
Yes, well, that would require remembering there is that, and where it is...

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1370 on: 13 December 2021, 13:17:43 »
glad to hear a plan is in place

Any DTF TRO with all the new art that I can put on my shelf is a pretty damn exciting prospect.  If the record sheets are attached or not doesn't really interest me one way or another.  Looking forward to hearing the plans on that TRO (or TROs) in 2022!

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1371 on: 13 December 2021, 15:12:39 »
the idea that there will be an abridged print version probably comes from the language of the product description:

Right, right. So, that text is part of the moving target I mentioned. That boilerplate dates to the run-up to Vol. 1, and I remember discussing it in some detail with Ray both at that time, and again at some point during the second cycle. IIRC, initially we weren't sure how these products were going to do, and promising multiple compilation books with everything seemed riskier than saying we'd do one book but it might not include all Mechs--the difference between promising more upfront and setting up customers for a big letdown, or promising less upfront and having them be pleased when we can over-deliver.

As I said earlier today, we'll discuss details of how the Rec Guides will be compiled in the near-ish future.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1372 on: 13 December 2021, 15:15:08 »
The single volume unabridged edition with record sheets did reach prototype stage:

I have spoken.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1373 on: 13 December 2021, 15:49:58 »
The single volume unabridged edition with record sheets did reach prototype stage:

Hah, in that case, I'll go shelf shopping. 

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1374 on: 13 December 2021, 17:04:50 »
Tamar Rising Release Date and Recognition Guide Update

We’ve got some news on upcoming releases to share with you today!

First, some less than ideal news: BattleMech Recognition Guide: ilClan, Vol. 23, initially scheduled for release this Friday, December 17, will instead release on Friday, December 24 alongside Vol. 24. We apologize for the delay caused by production issues, but assure you that a Christmas Eve double-shot of Rec Guides will close out this incredible series.

But! We’re also pleased to announce that the next chapter in the ilClan era, Tamar Rising, will be available on the Catalyst Game Labs web store and via retail distribution on Wednesday, January 19.

To whet your appetite for this exciting new sourcebook, here’s the table of contents! (Click on the images for a closer look.)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1375 on: 13 December 2021, 17:20:28 »
I CANNOT WAIT!! WHooooooTTT!!!! :-)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1376 on: 13 December 2021, 17:22:26 »
Looks so awesome with a bonus of Aerospace fun!!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1377 on: 13 December 2021, 17:32:13 »
Will the release on the 24th still be around 2pm? Want to know if I will be able to read them before Christmas eve festivities.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1378 on: 13 December 2021, 17:37:02 »
Will the release on the 24th still be around 2pm? Want to know if I will be able to read them before Christmas eve festivities.

That’s the plan, because I have festivities of my own planned too!

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1379 on: 13 December 2021, 17:42:18 »
We try.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register