Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon III: Admittedly, We May Have Falconed a Little Too Hard  (Read 114043 times)

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
I’m interested in seeing the relationship between the Arc-Royals and Jiyi’s Falcons. Obviously the ARDC is on a murder Malvina/ Mongols rampage… but Jiyi (and also by extent the AML) are DEFINITELY not Malvina. So how they go up against each other and how they interact with the former Falcons will be really interesting.

I think Sudeyen Falcons' reaction to any ARDC showing up would be "You surats better turn around and fly back where you came from... unless you came to do shopping"

Lyran merchants, who liked the idea of zones with no taxes, regulatory oversight, or pesky human rights to drag down the bottom line.)

Hey, that's exactly how Hanseatic League came into existence way back when

Techpriest3052

• Recruit
I’m interested in seeing the relationship between the Arc-Royals and Jiyi’s Falcons. Obviously the ARDC is on a murder Malvina/ Mongols rampage… but Jiyi (and also by extent the AML) are DEFINITELY not Malvina. So how they go up against each other and how they interact with the former Falcons will be really interesting.
If I had to guess, the ARLC and the Sudeten Falcons can likely come to an agreement regarding the Lyrans, same as with the Tamar Pact and the Sudeten Falcons. Allying with the Tamar Pact against Clan Hells Horses and the Lyrans is a no-brainer deal for the Tamar Pact. While the AML and Tamar Pact have reasons to want Sudeten, the AML is unlikely to make the first move and instead want to wait for the Tamar Pact to attack.

The Tamar Pact, ARLC and JFFZ are unlikely bedfellows, but they all have things the other wants. The ARLC wants allies against the Lyrans and the Vesper Marches and Tamar Pact are natural choices, and a non-aggression pact with both of the Jade Falcon remnants where they define their borders and agree to stay out of ARLC space could be in the cards. The Tamar Pact needs heavy equipment and allies, something both the ARLC and JFFZ can provide. The JFFZ just needs to stay alive for the next half decade in order to build its strength. Trading planets for survival is a valid strategy. I'm not saying this would be a lasting coalition, but it could last a decade or two. The JFFZ, if Jiyi can play his cards right, can swallow up plenty of bordering systems yet unclaimed and has already started doing so. Jiyi needs warriors - Sudeten has 3 billion people on it. If he leans hard into freeborn training, he can likely find and get another full cluster of mechwarriors within about 4 years. I wouldn't be shocked either if Jiyi bends the rules on the distinction between 'laborer' and 'infantry warrior'. A reservist militia program that grants provisional warrior status to those who sign up and are called to serve in the defense of Sudeten could do a lot for at least providing infantry and vehicle crews.

The Hinterlands becoming the sphere's equivilant of Ex-Yugoslavia mixed with post-Roman Western Europe isn't too out of the question either.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
There is only one thing though: the Lyrans are also trying to at least make inroads with the Tamar Pact and dispatching Roderick Steiner as ambassador seems to be the best thing. Also: the Falcons might get the "All Falcons are bad therefore only a dead Falcon is a good Falcon" treatment. Or do you honestly think just because Malvina is gone they are suddenly nice guys? The Commonwealth has often suffered under Falcon attacks so I would suspect that they give them the evil eye treatment (if they can actually muster forces for that)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
The thing that will save Jiyi is everyone with grievances against the Falcons being too busy doing other stuff while he builds up strength to the point of becoming too hard a nut to crack for any of them to want to commit to it.  And maybe finding some allies who are more pragmatic than vengeful.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Techpriest3052

• Recruit
There is only one thing though: the Lyrans are also trying to at least make inroads with the Tamar Pact and dispatching Roderick Steiner as ambassador seems to be the best thing. Also: the Falcons might get the "All Falcons are bad therefore only a dead Falcon is a good Falcon" treatment. Or do you honestly think just because Malvina is gone they are suddenly nice guys? The Commonwealth has often suffered under Falcon attacks so I would suspect that they give them the evil eye treatment (if they can actually muster forces for that)
Regis has already cast the die. Sending Rodrick Steiner is an adept political move, but Regis has made her intentions pretty clear and it's unlikely she'll back down now if she wants to see the end of the decade. A truce with the Lyrans is possible, but it would be temporary and quite frankly, unlikely. I doubt she's rejoining the Commonwealth and I doubt Trillian will let her off the hook.

As for how the other factions in the Hinterlands see the Falcons, they obviously don't trust them. But finishing them off is going to be more trouble than its worth and there's two (perhaps three, with the Dominion starting to flex its muscles) bigger threats to deal with. Realpolitik makes strange bedfellows sometimes. Let's see how things play out - it's very possible the AML falls apart once Marena dies, or it suffers a civil war from the mercenary commands attempting to take over the state military, it's very possible Jiyi is assassinated by Jarnfolk and the Tamar Pact absorbs Sudeten or the AML does, it's very possible the Horses succeed at the second attempt at STAMPEDE... frankly we don't know how things could go.

The thing that will save Jiyi is everyone with grievances against the Falcons being too busy doing other stuff while he builds up strength to the point of becoming too hard a nut to crack for any of them to want to commit to it.  And maybe finding some allies who are more pragmatic than vengeful.
This is the most likely outcome. A seven to eight system state of Falcons centered around Sudeten that's just too hard to get rid of when there's the wolf knocking at the door.

CJC070

• Lieutenant

Per the original Lyran sourcebook, many Lyran worlds designated certain areas as "Free Zones," where no laws applied and criminal activity could proceed unhindered.  The Malthus Syndicate made comfortable homes in the Free Zones. 

Jiyi is walking a tight rope between people who were under the Jade Falcon boot heel and those that were left behind.  Going from Occupation Zone to Free Zone is trying to demonstrate that the old Jade Falcon ways are done.  Lyrans may say one thing but if there is evidence that they are trying we may see more bidding and limited combat than Total Warfare. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Jiyi (or rather his junior khan) turning over Mongol Falcons to planetary civilian governments to face war crimes trials ought to buy the Falcons a little goodwill as well.  Probably not from Calamity or Regis, but definitely from unaligned planets.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
Sudeten has 3 billion people on it. If he leans hard into freeborn training, he can likely find and get another full cluster of mechwarriors within about 4 years. I wouldn't be shocked either if Jiyi bends the rules on the distinction between 'laborer' and 'infantry warrior'. A reservist militia program that grants provisional warrior status to those who sign up and are called to serve in the defense of Sudeten could do a lot for at least providing infantry and vehicle crews.

No need for bending the rules since existing rules already have procedure in place for civilians transferring to warrior status

Falcons weren't keen on using them before but it doesn't change the fact that the rules are there

It wouldn't cause any major political changes internally because any new warrior would still need to win a bloodname first before getting a seat on the council but just the perks of warrior status alone would be enough for Falcons to end up swimming in applicants and getting the pick of the litter

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Also thinking about it, in regards to Sudeten Falcons, there should be plenty of (traditional) genetic stock to mix around so to speak, both in and from the sibko's that still have to come to age, but what about test downs from the past ? As ALOT of the civilian caste members came from Iron Wombs after all, in their DNA is there not enough "stock" from the traditional Bloodnames and houses to work with, and also wouldn't this work with the Terran Falcons too ? 

Techpriest3052

• Recruit
Jiyi is walking a tight rope between people who were under the Jade Falcon boot heel and those that were left behind.  Going from Occupation Zone to Free Zone is trying to demonstrate that the old Jade Falcon ways are done.  Lyrans may say one thing but if there is evidence that they are trying we may see more bidding and limited combat than Total Warfare.
They have to bid, and bid smart. It's their best chance at minimizing their own losses. I'm wondering if Jiyi is going to try and raid Hells Horses for bondsmen and warriors. If he picks the right cluster/planet, there's potential to get quite a few bondsmen unhappy with the current leadership in the Horses. There's also potential raids/trades with Twycross and Sea Fox to consider. I'm hoping we get some more short stories out of whatever Jiyi might be having the Lone Wolves doing too - Clanners don't necessarily have mercenaries, but there is the precedent of contracted forces used in bids. That might be a fun way Jiyi justifies gaining a lance or two of mercs in the Hinterlands as supplemental forces. They have been taken on as contracted forces for a future bid! Totally not buying mercenaries!
No need for bending the rules since existing rules already have procedure in place for civilians transferring to warrior status

Falcons weren't keen on using them before but it doesn't change the fact that the rules are there

It wouldn't cause any major political changes internally because any new warrior would still need to win a bloodname first before getting a seat on the council but just the perks of warrior status alone would be enough for Falcons to end up swimming in applicants and getting the pick of the litter

Yeah, the rules are there, but it's kind of more fun to see a very traditionalist clan finding ways to keep to the spirit of the clans while bending the rules a little bit, but never breaking them. It's why I love the Scorpions. Having the idea of reservist warriors also has some precedent from Clan Diamond Shark/Sea Fox. I'm just throwing thoughts out there.

Also thinking about it, in regards to Sudeten Falcons, there should be plenty of (traditional) genetic stock to mix around so to speak, both in and from the sibko's that still have to come to age, but what about test downs from the past ? As ALOT of the civilian caste members came from Iron Wombs after all, in their DNA is there not enough "stock" from the traditional Bloodnames and houses to work with, and also wouldn't this work with the Terran Falcons too ? 
It's very interesting to consider that Jade Falcon already has precedent for freeborn competing and winning bloodnames (Diana Pryde). That's another fertile ground for fiction ideas.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
So in the Sudeten Falcons we're seeing skilled warriors rise on their merits without having to deal with entrenched and fully staffed Bloodhouses, we see the Falcons offering honorable batchalls and adhering to the practices of honorable combat whenever their enemy allows them(even with non-Clan populations), we have warriors acting to defend the civilian castes and even listening to their counsel on relevant matters instead of exploiting them and treating them as disposable assets...

I'm starting to wonder if the Way of the Clans might work best when practiced by very small groups like this, ones who can't afford to throw anything away through arrogance and bullying.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
I'm starting to wonder if the Way of the Clans might work best when practiced by very small groups like this, ones who can't afford to throw anything away through arrogance and bullying.

No need to have small groups or ones in distress

It's all about mentality same as any other social setup in Battletech

Traditionally the most successful and stable Clans were ones when main priority was well-being and survival of the Clan not just well-being and survival of warrior caste

We seen this with Adders, Scorpions, Foxes or Horses, teamwork makes dream work

And we all know the examples of how opposite was working out (or didn't to be more precise)

Sudeten Falcons are just now realizing this fact and it's something of a culture shock in itself

And there's a lot of potential for growth in new different directions

As Arab Bedouins say: I, against my brothers. I and my brothers against my cousins. I and my brothers and my cousins against the world.

This is the way of the Clans in it's truest form, those who live by it prosper, those who ignore it suffer

« Last Edit: 31 August 2024, 15:13:49 by Fire Scorpion IIC »