Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire: All your Warhawks are belong to us  (Read 99878 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: The Scorpion Empire: All your Warhawks are belong to us
« Reply #750 on: 05 June 2023, 15:59:05 »
Yeah, we know about the moratorium. I just kinda wish it included all of the Home Clans, instead of the Scorpions getting what amounts to be the perfect fanfiction run (i.e., solving literally all of their problems and becoming the perfect fusion state, with only one serious conflict that had no stakes because the Scorps winning was never in doubt) for 60+ years of in-universe time while the rest of the Home Clans and their plotline of spying on and prepping to invade the Hansa were dropped completely. The lack of consistency is maddening, but I suppose it's inevitable with so many regime changes.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2023, 16:01:21 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #751 on: 05 June 2023, 18:15:18 »
Well Scorpions are not Home Clan otherwise they would have still been back home

And I would hardly call winning a single war half a century in the making in a wargame setting a perfect run

If it were one then what are we supposed to say about Bears who rofl-stomped Blakists once, Combine twice plus whatever unspeakable stuff they did to Cats ins quick succession? And rapid integration with locals in several years instead of 7 decades while coming out smelling like roses with first major political drama only now?

And not once did they get their Clan Council building blown to confetti by disgruntled locals   

Plus they have bult dozens of cool new original mechs in between (and fighters and warships and super-dropships). For the record Scorpions are still only being given Wobbie leftovers, funky quads and militia mech spin-offs (which is fine by me but still, it needs to be kept in perspective)

This is not me dunking on Bears. Fact remains that closer you are to the center of the action (Terra) the more drama you will get but also perks as well (FWL just stitched itself back together no problem like it's nothing and is already flexing on Wolves)

Feds, Wolves or Bears? High drama, high perks

Scorpions, Canopus or Marians? Low drama, low perks

It's just how the setting works, location is everything

As for Scorpions winning not being in doubt, how so? Check old discussions, nobody could even tell for certain if they would survive the book about Crusade in one piece (if at all)

Jaguar defeat, Operation Serpent, Great Refusal, Jihad failure, Feds taking New Avalon, Wolves winning Terra, etc... these are the things that were never in doubt and were much more major events than some war in Deep Periphery

Home Clans doing mini-clan invasion with rapidly closing window while sitting on the ashes of Wars of Reaving is not prudent even by Clan standards. Maybe it is for Coyotes but Coyotes are not running the show and are lucky to be alive. Adders run the show and their gophers managed to lose a whole warship to Hansa, one of those rare warships they need to enforce that no-go zone around Homeworlds to protect from taint. At some point someone will start doing cost/benefit calculations

EDIT:
Great, I typed another text wall. I swear this sounds lot more concise in my head
(Got banned from Reddit this way, that and language)

« Last Edit: 05 June 2023, 18:19:08 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #752 on: 05 June 2023, 18:29:44 »
Well, instead of a text wall rebuttal where I parse out all of the stuff there that's either incorrect or a personal opinion, I'll just say that I stand by what I said and leave it at that. And for the record, it's not because I don't have a rebuttal, I just have zero interest in engaging in back-and-forth with a superfan. It's never worth it on these forums. Maybe next time, just don't respond to me, I won't be at all bothered or offended, lol.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2023, 18:34:09 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #753 on: 05 June 2023, 21:49:58 »
Any idea how the sibko caretakers and cadets are/were called in the Clan Goliath Scorpion?

The trainers have a name, per OTP: Hanseatic Crusade, p.19.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #754 on: 06 June 2023, 09:34:59 »

Thanks for the reference! Did you created the title or it was something set up by CGL? English is not my main language, so i maybe lost the meaning,  but "wrangler" almost sounds more like a Hell Horses thing, isnt?  :D
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #755 on: 06 June 2023, 10:25:11 »
I came up with it. It first came about as one who handles horses or cattle, but it has since come to mean one who handles animals, as in the film industry. In other words, you can have a horse wrangler, a cattle wrangler, a tarantula wrangler, a scorpion wrangler...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #756 on: 06 June 2023, 11:03:35 »
Thankfully, there no handler for me.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #757 on: 06 June 2023, 11:09:19 »
but "wrangler" almost sounds more like a Hell Horses thing, isnt?  :D

It is a Hells Horses thing, actually, per "A Living Epitaph" from BattleCorps.

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #758 on: 06 June 2023, 12:30:09 »
After reading 26 pages of forum posts, I think I've been convinced that a) there are clearly some products I need to read/reread and b) building a Scorpion Empire force is definitely in my future.

I really must have glossed over their section in ISP3 (and I know I'm behind on Shrapnel) 'cause so many of these posts felt like totally new information to me.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #759 on: 06 June 2023, 12:58:09 »
After reading 26 pages of forum posts, I think I've been convinced that a) there are clearly some products I need to read/reread and b) building a Scorpion Empire force is definitely in my future.

I really must have glossed over their section in ISP3 (and I know I'm behind on Shrapnel) 'cause so many of these posts felt like totally new information to me.
ISP3, Wars of Reaving, Wars of Reaving Supplemental, and Spotlight On: Crimson Seeker Star all have bits of info for the beginnings of the Scorpion Empire.

For the more modern eras of the Scorpion Empire you have Spotlight On: Schmidt's Petraries, Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik, Touring the Stars: Granada, TtS: Valencia, TtS: Braunschweig, Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade, "Dying Breed" in Shrapnel 12, "Moving Forward" in Shrapnel 6, and the Rec Guide entries for the Star Python (23), Star Crusader (23), and the Warhawk (20).
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #760 on: 06 June 2023, 13:57:28 »
Also the Locust IIC entry in RG16.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #761 on: 06 June 2023, 17:14:07 »

Can't believe I managed to miss this, it was sitting right there   :-\

So I assume that cadets would be called Scorplings? Baby scorpions and all

They are using the name for their new small lasers already

ISP3, Wars of Reaving, Wars of Reaving Supplemental, and Spotlight On: Crimson Seeker Star all have bits of info for the beginnings of the Scorpion Empire.

For the more modern eras of the Scorpion Empire you have Spotlight On: Schmidt's Petraries, Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik, Touring the Stars: Granada, TtS: Valencia, TtS: Braunschweig, Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade, "Dying Breed" in Shrapnel 12, "Moving Forward" in Shrapnel 6, and the Rec Guide entries for the Star Python (23), Star Crusader (23), and the Warhawk (20).

''No Dust No Wear'' from book ''No Greater Honor'' is also really nice read that gives you insight into overall mentality and attitudes of Scorpions

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #762 on: 07 June 2023, 01:26:10 »
We can also assume that the upcoming Wars of Reaving trilogy will entail additional information as to the Scorpions leaving the Homeworlds.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #763 on: 07 June 2023, 01:37:15 »
I think it's a little early to assume that, given that the trilogy will likely focus on the WoR itself and the Scorpion Abjuration happened afterwards.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #764 on: 07 June 2023, 06:15:40 »
It might flesh out the Scorpions' operations and behind-the-scenes relations with other Clans and their program of using ELH genes.

Since they even have Winston(and that would be a glorious Bloodname to the Clans), this program would be interesting to cover in detail.

And I hope the Empire makes good use of all that unique captured Blakist/IS tech.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #765 on: 07 June 2023, 06:19:36 »
We can also assume that the upcoming Wars of Reaving trilogy will entail additional information as to the Scorpions leaving the Homeworlds.
Here's hoping. Although the prelim covers showed Wolf & Star Adder, Coyote & Burrock, and Steel Viper & Blood Spirit. I know those were just put together for artwork for the kickstarter, but that's what we have to work with so far.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #766 on: 07 June 2023, 21:24:44 »
I think it's a little early to assume that, given that the trilogy will likely focus on the WoR itself and the Scorpion Abjuration happened afterwards.

I don't want to speak for Phil, but, yeah: since the Scorps pop smoke AFTER the WoR is done, Tassa's probably correct.

Sorry all, just trying to manage expectations.  ;)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #767 on: 07 June 2023, 21:36:20 »
They may not play a major part but I do hope they get a mention since one of the reasons for the Wars of Reaving was the use of ELH genetics in the Scorpion gene pool. 

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #768 on: 07 June 2023, 22:40:32 »
They may not play a major part but I do hope they get a mention since one of the reasons for the Wars of Reaving was the use of ELH genetics in the Scorpion gene pool.

The Cobras didn't make that discovery until after the WoR had concluded.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #769 on: 08 June 2023, 03:07:02 »
Tassa_kay is right. The Reavings only happened to IS Clan Bloodnames.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #770 on: 08 June 2023, 06:45:14 »

My bad, I got the impression the whole kicking the Scorpions out of the Homeworlds was during the whole chaotic mess not after.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #771 on: 08 June 2023, 07:46:02 »
The Reavings only targeted lines that had been exposed to the taint of the Inner Sphere. But the thing to remember is so many lines had shared genetics. Any warrior that had gone to the IS or was descended from one that did was targeted. After that general declaration, then the Clans started using reaving calls against anyone that displayed "unclan-like" behavior.

On pg 96 of WoR, "Marghar’s Trial issuance is further evidence that the Reaving calls were beginning to be warped in context not just by Clan, but also by individuals." Also the whole "Rule of Law" sidebar on pg 80 covers it more in general, but ends with this, "What began as a bold pronouncement by the ilKhan quickly spiraled out of control as every Clan and every warrior within each Clan began taking advantage of the declaration as they saw fit."

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #772 on: 08 June 2023, 07:55:51 »
That doesn't change the known fact that all of the drama(and I do mean ALL of it) surrounding the ELH bloodlines happened after the Wars of Reaving, which formally end with the Viper Annihilation.

The upcoming novels might give us new information on this, but if there's anything that pushes the ELH stuff forward, it hasn't been published yet.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #773 on: 08 June 2023, 10:57:56 »
I certainly hope they don't waste page time on such a minor thing, which again didn't even happen during the WoR, when there's so much stuff in the actual WoR that would suit a novel trilogy better.

Besides, what further details does one even need? The Scorps started using ELH genes in their breeding programs, the Cobras caught them, they got Abjured, etc. It was all pretty well covered.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2023, 10:59:46 by tassa_kay »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #774 on: 09 June 2023, 08:29:01 »
My bad, I got the impression the whole kicking the Scorpions out of the Homeworlds was during the whole chaotic mess not after.

That's alright. As Wantec explained in detail, it got messy with everyone real quick.

Essentially it was a Snake Clan power grab against IS Clans cloaked in legitimacy that pissed off the Society and their allies, devolving into a free-for-all between several loose alliances.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #775 on: 09 June 2023, 14:44:11 »
Scorpions did stay out of Wars of Reaving but it is possible that they might get mentioned in relation to how the wars started since Brett Andrews got the job of ilKhan only after Ariel Suvorov took out previous ilKhan Garret Sainze (The Least Impressive One)

Scorpions were present on site when Society made their first move if memory serves me (Coyote Elementals blindsided them and the Mandrills)

If Roche or Dagda get TTS books as part of the package there could be some extra GS lore there as well

So I don't thing they will get anything big but something like what Scorpions and Falcons got in OTP Widowmaker Absorption would not be unreasonable to expect

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #776 on: 16 June 2023, 17:30:57 »
The Viper vs Spirit art has me intrigued.  That battle on Tokasha was one of my favorite things to research for my sarna articles of yore. 

It was foregone, but I still was wishing Khan Boques could have landed a lucky blast to the Bloody IlKhan's cockpit.  Because poetic justice and whatnot.

But whatever.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2023, 02:06:11 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #777 on: 22 June 2023, 08:54:46 »
Moratorium ?

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #778 on: 24 June 2023, 12:11:49 »
Have we been told yet what technology of WoB the Scorpions did capture when they conquered the WoB outpost in the WoR?

What kind of Mechs (high end designs as to Raptor II, Celestial series)?
Pocket warships?
Highend weapons as to Variable Speed Pulse Lasers and/or sub-capital weapons?

Can they produce such weapons?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #779 on: 24 June 2023, 12:35:37 »
My impression based on the RATs in Interstellar Expeditions (best Scorpion product ever), is that it wasn't cutting-edge Jihad stuff, but mostly from 3067 and before.

Wouldn't surprise me if the cache was established in '67 or so, for that matter.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul