Author Topic: Why is it all so familiar? An Universal Truths Prequel[non-Battletech]-Take 2  (Read 8199 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I certainly hope you do come back to it!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I don't want to over promise anything but yeah this will probably gnaw on me a bit here and there.

The main reason I don't want to oversell the possibility is this is what I consider a prime example of my current limitations as a writer.

I can't really seed mysteries too well and if the cast starts getting too big it gets a little muddled.  I think I did better than usual for this size of cast but yeah grand epics are not my style.

Which means to be honest figuring out the models and actually doing something with them in something this scale is always going to be a problem for me.

The ending though I am torn on.  On the one hand I like the semi-happy ending it presents but the problem is it makes me think how probable it is Fatiama's people would sort themselves out one way or another.  To the point I'm not sure their plan holds up without a lot of handwaving.  Now yes I get to do the handwaving but I'm not sure Fatiama's mission passes the 5 year old test.

Present the plan to a 5 year old and if they see a flaw in it, revise.

Ultimately I probably am going to have to break the world I tried building here into at least two parts and in such a way the prelude can stand on it's own resulting in a decent but ultimately generic sci fi war story.  The going to Earth part would have to be structurde more as a what if so that I could potentially use the prelude to setup multiple aliens and super powers on near modern Earth shenanigans.

Which is another thing I really should have done.  I should have made it a little more near future, like the 2030's or even 2040's for the Earth part.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
It always seemed to me that Fatiama's plan was a back up, not the main effort.  That might give you a little leeway.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I don't know if I really framed it that way well enough but yeah that is about the only way it makes sense.

If I do come back to this for a version 3 I will have to setup more of the internal politics/divisions to show there is a chance the wrong people will win in the Civil War.  Not so much in the sense they'd actively help the radicals but that they wouldn't stop them either.