Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 103013 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #1200 on: 13 February 2023, 19:18:58 »
Outstanding mod work as always!  :thumbsup:

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1201 on: 13 February 2023, 19:53:15 »
Great Job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #1202 on: 14 February 2023, 18:18:08 »
Tagging :)
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #1203 on: 22 February 2023, 20:39:01 »
Side note: y'now, rather than a Vixen II, a Svartalfa ProtoMech would make a good stand-in for a Biplaner AutoMech.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Lycanphoenix

• Master Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #1204 on: 23 February 2023, 12:29:03 »
"It seems they managed to invent protomechs..."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1205 on: 23 February 2023, 12:36:52 »
I mean, I wouldn’t go that far, but the Biplaner is a 15-ton LAM, and the Svartalfa is a 14-ton Glider ProtoMech, which is kind of like a LAM, so size-wise it should work, and the general body shape is about right.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1206 on: 24 February 2023, 21:06:02 »
To me that the Biplaner roll wise is a close air support vehicle. They're able in being able bring down the pain but unlike modern jets , can linker longer on station. 

I'm curious how the rules would handle the ability of a lam such as the Biplaner.  Would they be able to do a strike like aerospac fighter.  Are they considered true aircraft and not ground vetoles like they're not going to be able to do the same thing I would imagine rules-wise. Especially when you can bring bombs down during a strike or a strafing run.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1207 on: 24 February 2023, 23:14:37 »
To me that the Biplaner roll wise is a close air support vehicle. They're able in being able bring down the pain but unlike modern jets , can linker longer on station. 

CAS, forward air control, counter-insurgency, observation.  With their ability to loiter and, in one config, two two-ton bomb bays, they could easily have been the Predator/Reaper drones of their day...which is funny, 'cause there's one version of Soundwave that uses a Reaper drone as an alt-mode.

But, yeah, alt modes that look like Antonov An-2 biplanes, Predator/Reaper drones, AT-802U / OA-1K Sky Warden, or, given one version of Ransack transformed into a Corsair, even WW2 fighters are all viable, and this handles a similar role to them.

I'm curious how the rules would handle the ability of a lam such as the Biplaner.  Would they be able to do a strike like aerospac fighter.  Are they considered true aircraft and not ground vetoles like they're not going to be able to do the same thing I would imagine rules-wise. Especially when you can bring bombs down during a strike or a strafing run.

Could also always use the aerospace units on the ground map rules from TW.  At 16 hexes per thrust point, they'd be pretty viable to play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1208 on: 25 February 2023, 05:43:07 »
A biplane sounds hard, but if anyone can make one, it's Luciora...  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1209 on: 25 February 2023, 05:48:43 »
A biplane sounds hard, but if anyone can make one, it's Luciora...  8)

I'm still sorely tempted to pick up a Svartalfa mini, along with an extra pod and prop from a Karnov, and try it myself, but the number of pieces on the Svartalfa make me nervous.  If it's like assembling the Primitive Wasp, I can probably manage.  if it's like assembling a Project Phoenix mini, I want nothing to do with it.

(Why would I need a Biplaner?  Oh...no reason.)

Lycanphoenix

• Master Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #1210 on: 25 February 2023, 16:52:44 »
I'm tempted to write up some special Quirks/SPAs just for Ultralight AutoMechs, and maybe some optional rules for Ultralight mechs in general. It's a shame that MML doesn't have Fractional Accounting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1211 on: 25 February 2023, 17:18:41 »
That's one of the reasons I prefer SSW... even though it doesn't fully implement FA, it at least has the option.

Lycanphoenix

• Master Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #1212 on: 25 February 2023, 18:53:25 »
One SPA/Quirk for Ultralight AutoMechs might be giving the Biplane AutoMechs the benefit of a Partial Wing (both cooling and jump distance), along with the Atmospheric Flyer and Nimble Jumper quirks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1213 on: 25 February 2023, 19:04:20 »
Not a bad idea!  :thumbsup:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1214 on: 08 March 2023, 01:04:32 »
Noticed an "Oops" in the Biplaner with its armor: it allocates 55 points on 2 tons of Commercial, which is too high.  Here's a revamped version with an extra configuration, that cuts the armor to 48 points.

Biplaner Aerofighter AutoMech Fireboss Config

Mass: 15 tons
Chassis: Bimodal LAM AutoMech
Power Plant: 15 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 10.8 kph
Maximum Speed: 21.6 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
     Jump Capacity: 30 meters
Armor: Commercial
Armament:
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3060
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-X-E-E
Cost: 765,785 C-bills

Overview
Since the time of the original Land-Air ’Mech, it has been natural to assume that all convertible ’Mech-Fighter hybrids would fly using thruster jets exclusively. That the Syberians have since introduced us rotor-flight systems with their VTOLMechs shook this up, of course, but even then, we just weren’t prepared for Biplaner. In fact, we thought that these AutoMechs were VTOL-converters at first—until they changed forms and we realized that what we took to be collapsible rotors were actually nose-mounted propellers on fixed-wing flyers. That’s right; these AutoMechs transform into propeller-driven fighters.

We’re not quite sure why these machines were developed. Their turbo-prop “jump jets” can’t cope with high speeds or high altitudes, and can’t even function in space. Some of those we’ve seen are surprisingly nimble in flight, and are modestly capable of performing some basic ground attack missions. But we’ve also met one that looked so rickety, we weren’t sure how much longer it could even stay in the air! While we haven’t been able to discover why these AutoMechs were created, we have learned that most of them are old. Considering many borrow aesthetics straight out of Terra’s first global wars, we wouldn’t be surprised if they started out as nostalgia-born recreational creations. But what is surprising is that most other AutoMechs consider these units old and outdated as well, even as they revere them as “old Aces”. (Personally, I think someone was just having fun with their programming.)

Capabilities
Most Biplaners resemble one named Sacker, a DemoCon AutoMech whose vehicle form, I’m told, resembles a WWI “Albatross” biplane fighter. Sacker was the one we thought was going to crash as it puttered about in the sky over us, driven by a single turbo-prop. (Again, why anyone would think this a good idea for a combat unit, is beyond me, but there are some perks. Other jet- and rocket-based FighterMechs require reaction mass and a minimum 1.5-gee acceleration rate for stable flight. But apparently, prop-flyers can get airborne with as little as 1 gee’s thrust, provided endlessly to their props by the ’Mech’s own reactor. This enables them to carry more armor and equipment, theoretically, but at the expense of flight speed, a limited altitude, and the need for sufficient air to keep them aloft. I doubt that would work with a LAM back home!)

Given its ultra-light weight—the Biplaner weighs all of fifteen tons—and the use of what seems to be simple sheet-aluminum “armor,” what wasn’t shocking about Sacker was just how weak this unit is compared to others. Besides a pitiful speed, both in the air and on the ground (it makes an UrbanMech look fast!), its weaponry is consisted of just two machine guns and two small lasers. (I think there are battlesuits better armed and armored than this one!) But while others in its own faction regarded Sacker and its fellow Biplaners as outdated, the AutoMech refused to admit it. Even mentioning its age sent Sacker on a rant about what it used to do in the “good ole days.” It even punched one of its fellow DemoCons for being less than respectful during our interview—barely scratching its comrade’s paint job in the process—before converting and flying off in a huff.

Deployment
We initially identified two variants of this FighterMech class, but have recently confirmed two others. In addition to Sacker’s “air superiority” configuration (snicker), we’ve seen a dedicated bomber version, and a multi-role “switch” variant that mixes machine guns and grenade launchers. An AutoBoP-affiliated Biplaner was then seen which sports a light PPC, for far greater engagement reach.  Lastly, one configuration shared by both DemoCom- and AutoBoP-affiliated Biplaners is the Fireboss. These Biplaners differ from their Bomber cousins by the addition of floats, and conversion of bomb bays to liquid cargo storage, paired with sprayers originally meant to deliver pesticides, but adapted to fight fires. Fluid suction devices on the floats allows these Biplaners to refill from any of Syberia's dwindling waterways. These AutoMechs tend to be given a wide deference by either side, as it seems accepted that their firefighting mission is a neutral function that benefits all Syberian factions, making them rarely rargeted, and the only variant of the Biplaner still under construction.

Code: [Select]
Type: Biplaner Aerofighter AutoMech
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Tonnage: 15
Battle Value: 129

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                  1.5
Conversion Eqpt:   Aero (Bimodal LAM) 2.5
Engine                        15 Fusion             0.5
Walking MP: 1
Running MP: 2
Jumping MP: 1
Safe Thrust: 1
Max Thrust: 2
Heat Sink                     10                      0
Gyro                                                  1
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Commercial)     48                      2

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         7     
     Center Torso            5         6     
     Center Torso (rear)               3     
     R/L Torso               4         5     
     R/L Torso (rear)                  2     
     R/L Arm                 2         4     
     R/L Leg                 3         5     

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Fixed Components Location Critical Mass
Avionics RT/LT/HD 3 --
Landing Gear RT/CT/LT 3 --
Jump Jet (Turbo-Prop) CT 1 0.5
10 Heat Sinks 5 RT/5 LT 8 --

Weapons
and Ammo                 Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Fluid Suction System        RT        1        -       0.5   
Liquid Storage (1 ton)      RT        1        -       1.0   
Sprayer                     LA        1        -       0.5   
Fluid Suction System        LT        1        -       0.5   
Liquid Storage (1 ton)      LT        1        -       1.0   
Sprayer                     RA        1        -       0.5   

Bomber Configuration
Bomb Bay (2 ton) RT 2 2
Bomb Bay (2 ton) LT 2 2

Dogfighter Configuration
Machine Gun RA 1 0.5
Ammo (MG) 100 RA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5
Recon Camera RT 1 0.5
Recon Camera LT 1 0.5
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Ammo (MG) 100 LA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5

Switcher Configuration
Machine Gun RA 1 0.5
Small Laser RA 1 0.5
Recon Camera RT 1 0.5
Vehicular Grenade Launcher RT 1 0.5
Vehicular Grenade Launcher LT 1 0.5
Ammo (MG) 100 LT 1 0.5
Machine Gun LA 1 0.5
Small Laser LA 1 0.5

Zapper Configuration
Light PPC RA 2 3
2 Small Lasers LA 2 1

Notes: Features the following Design Quirks: Illegal (Syberian Robotics AI, Turbo-Prop “Jump Jet”), Atmospheric Flyer, Water-Lander, Bad Reputation, Difficult to Maintain, Distracting (Archaic Appearance), Non-Standard Parts, Prop-Flyer, Obsolete (From the Start!)

Credit: FedComGirl for original design and fluff

Notable Biplaners:
Biplaner Type Config. Function Skill Grade Skill Set ’Mech/Vehicle Form
Electrode Zapper NinjaMech AbvAv (1/2) Infantry-AntiMech Incubus II/Pacair Hammerfist*
Sacker Dogfighter** ReconMech Vet (1/1) Scout Incubus II/A2 Thunderbird*
Diver Bomber ArtilleryMech Reg (2/3) Infantry Incubus II/A2 Thunderbird*
Blue Top Switcher ReconMech Reg (2/3) Scout Incubus II/A2 Thunderbird*
Cropslinger Fireboss ExplorerMech Vet (4/2) Planetary Surveyor Stinger LAM/Vought Skewer*
*This is a Crimson Skies miniature (TM Microsoft)
**The small lasers on this unit have regressed to primitive prototype quality (+50% heat each, round up)

And, no, I could not possibly indicate why I would be looking at Biplaners so closely right now.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1215 on: 08 March 2023, 12:01:00 »
Well, why does the BiPlaner have Spray/suction system????  I know it sucks (sorry) but i didn't think it was a refueling machine.  Sacker would never hear end of it!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1216 on: 08 March 2023, 12:09:33 »
Sooo....insanity ensued, and i did this for the Biplaner.  Please bare in mind, i'm not a artist.  xp

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1217 on: 08 March 2023, 12:43:37 »
Well, why does the BiPlaner have Spray/suction system????  I know it sucks (sorry) but i didn't think it was a refueling machine.  Sacker would never hear end of it!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1218 on: 08 March 2023, 12:45:11 »
Sooo....insanity ensued, and i did this for the Biplaner.  Please bare in mind, i'm not a artist.  xp

That’s a good insanity to have.  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1219 on: 08 March 2023, 16:42:45 »
Very nice!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1220 on: 08 March 2023, 17:24:25 »
Noticed an "Oops" in the Biplaner with its armor: it allocates 55 points on 2 tons of Commercial, which is too high.  Here's a revamped version with an extra configuration, that cuts the armor to 48 points.

Huh! I somehow missed that armor error! Okay...

- Herb

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1221 on: 08 March 2023, 19:08:26 »
Huh! I somehow missed that armor error! Okay...

- Herb

Any thoughts on adding my Dusty Crophopper knockoff?  ;D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1222 on: 09 March 2023, 14:43:23 »
Any thoughts on adding my Dusty Crophopper knockoff?  ;D

Sure is possible. Fire control units would be a good idea for the Syberians to have on hand. Tanker-configured ground and air units are in the TRO elsewhere, after all.

- Herb

Lycanphoenix

• Master Sergeant
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #1223 on: 09 March 2023, 16:16:16 »
There should be an ornithopter AutoMech.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1224 on: 09 March 2023, 16:39:32 »
A of variant of Waspinator's aero forms could do that

There should be an ornithopter AutoMech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1225 on: 09 March 2023, 18:22:06 »
And you are the modder who could pull it off!  :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1226 on: 09 March 2023, 20:06:54 »
I'm gonna need an address to send it to if I kitbash it  ;D. But swapping the rotor for wings isn't that hard, I did something similar when I made a Dragonfly with actual wings from a fly fishing kit

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1227 on: 09 March 2023, 20:08:58 »
PM inbound shortly good sir!  :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1228 on: 09 March 2023, 21:05:17 »
I sense the start of a cottage industry coming on...

- Herb

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1229 on: 11 March 2023, 09:02:43 »
I was warned never to turn my hobby into work lest I want to loose interest in it.   :)

I sense the start of a cottage industry coming on...

- Herb