Author Topic: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)  (Read 99900 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Reply #780 on: 02 August 2022, 00:58:07 »
Corsair would work, or the Banshee ASF.

personally i'd try to use the newer style from the war for cybertron part of the franchise, it has a shape that is a little more Battletech friendly.

that one you could do as a Malaika ASF

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #781 on: 02 August 2022, 03:42:20 »
Corsair would work, or the Banshee ASF.

personally i'd try to use the newer style from the war for cybertron part of the franchise, it has a shape that is a little more Battletech friendly.

that one you could do as a Malaika ASF

Yeah, the Banshee or Malaika could work for a Tetrajet.  :thumbsup:

Herb would these Seekers still be 50 tons? 
These look like they'd be lighter than the classic Seeker.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:RID15-toy_StarscreamWarrior.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Ani-toy_Sunstorm_VoyH.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Primetoy-Thundercracker.jpg

This one looks like it'd be heavier.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Generationstoy-Thrilling30Thundercracker.jpg

Are there variants for Seekers like Bitstream? The F-15s with the F-14's canopy. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TL_Bitstream-toy.jpg  I was wondering about a Beagle Active Probe for the "RIO" position.

I really can't remember. Is the Centurion Weapon System effective against AutoMechs?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #782 on: 02 August 2022, 04:36:06 »
Yeah, the Banshee or Malaika could work for a Tetrajet.  :thumbsup:

Are minis of those available? If so, go for it!

Herb would these Seekers still be 50 tons? 
These look like they'd be lighter than the classic Seeker.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:RID15-toy_StarscreamWarrior.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Ani-toy_Sunstorm_VoyH.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Primetoy-Thundercracker.jpg

This one looks like it'd be heavier.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Generationstoy-Thrilling30Thundercracker.jpg

I'd use the Seeker stats for all of them, my philosophy being that the majority of these incarnations are cosmetic variations of the same machines. They might get different minis picked out (RiD and Animated incarnations would probably use the Stingray for fighter mode, for instance, while the Prime incarnation might be done using a modified Rapier, Turk, or Sulla mini.)

Are there variants for Seekers like Bitstream? The F-15s with the F-14's canopy. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TL_Bitstream-toy.jpg  I was wondering about a Beagle Active Probe for the "RIO" position.

Yes, Bitstream (Bit Seeker) has its own variant. And it uses a BAP.

I really can't remember. Is the Centurion Weapon System effective against AutoMechs?

I'd say no. The CWS works a lot like how, in that one Star Trek movie and that one TNG episode, the Federation had prefix codes that could turn off a fellow starship's shields when transmitted. In the SLDF era, that was commonplace as a means to keep SLDF/TH units in SLDF/TH hands, but post-League, it stopped being as reliable, which is why the rules for the CWS were written to reflect that. Think of it as basically a hacking program that's become less effective simply due to software and BIOS updates over time. The Syberian AI system was specifically noted to be really hacking-resistant, and so shouldn't recognize the CWS (although, in RPG terms, one might consider a bonus to hacking efforts if the hacker has a CWS handy--just remember that hacking a Syberian AI effectively "kills" the AI entirely and turns the machine into a remote-controlled drone).

There is the Thorizer and a few other vehicles with converting motive systems in XTRO:Boondoggles. I'm not sure how many of the later ones would fit but the Thorizer should be good.

Sure, but remember the Thorizer was a failure. We'd just be presupposing it didn't and setting up a world where such things flourished. That world was probably not Syberia, though, or if it was, that was when there were still humans there.

They could be different weights though or have different weapons. Right now there's a 50 and 100 ton tracked AutoMechs. There could be more. could be a
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Heavytread_(Generations)  Rommel/Patton or Gürteltier Tank.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Half-Track_(G1) Partisan AA Tank
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Landquake_(Timelines)   different mech Partisan AA Tank
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Killbison   different mech Partisan AA or maybe a behemoth II?
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rescue_Force_1   different mech Partisan engineering equipment replaces guns.

Of course more Tracked AutoMechs are possible. I just have a LOT of models in my TRO already.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #783 on: 02 August 2022, 15:23:38 »
Are minis of those available? If so, go for it!

Don't look like it. :(

I'd use the Seeker stats for all of them, my philosophy being that the majority of these incarnations are cosmetic variations of the same machines. They might get different minis picked out (RiD and Animated incarnations would probably use the Stingray for fighter mode, for instance, while the Prime incarnation might be done using a modified Rapier, Turk, or Sulla mini.)

That's cool. I'd go with various weights but making variants of the same base unit works too.  :)

Yes, Bitstream (Bit Seeker) has its own variant. And it uses a BAP.

That's cool.  :thumbsup:

I'd say no. The CWS works a lot like how, in that one Star Trek movie and that one TNG episode, the Federation had prefix codes that could turn off a fellow starship's shields when transmitted. In the SLDF era, that was commonplace as a means to keep SLDF/TH units in SLDF/TH hands, but post-League, it stopped being as reliable, which is why the rules for the CWS were written to reflect that. Think of it as basically a hacking program that's become less effective simply due to software and BIOS updates over time. The Syberian AI system was specifically noted to be really hacking-resistant, and so shouldn't recognize the CWS (although, in RPG terms, one might consider a bonus to hacking efforts if the hacker has a CWS handy--just remember that hacking a Syberian AI effectively "kills" the AI entirely and turns the machine into a remote-controlled drone).

Makes sense. I was thinking it might knock them offline for a while. Instakill is a bit much. 

Sure, but remember the Thorizer was a failure. We'd just be presupposing it didn't and setting up a world where such things flourished. That world was probably not Syberia, though, or if it was, that was when there were still humans there.

Sure. Maybe they started with converting vehicles like the Thorizer and then moved on to Mechs. Any left would be the last of a dying breed but there could be a wide variety of them.

Of course more Tracked AutoMechs are possible. I just have a LOT of models in my TRO already.

- Herb

That's cool. :thumbsup:

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #784 on: 02 August 2022, 23:44:43 »
Makes sense. I was thinking it might knock them offline for a while. Instakill is a bit much. 

That was my way of preventing players from "enslaving" AutoMechs and getting around the whole "can't stop their war" bit.

Sure. Maybe they started with converting vehicles like the Thorizer and then moved on to Mechs. Any left would be the last of a dying breed but there could be a wide variety of them.

Maybe, but as they would have been human-controlled (MASK vehicles were never "alive," right?), they would basically vanish with the rest of the people. And so the AutoMechs inherited the system.

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #785 on: 03 August 2022, 01:34:25 »
That was my way of preventing players from "enslaving" AutoMechs and getting around the whole "can't stop their war" bit.

Makes sense.

Maybe, but as they would have been human-controlled (MASK vehicles were never "alive," right?), they would basically vanish with the rest of the people. And so the AutoMechs inherited the system.

- Herb

Could be but if they have non-converting drone vehicles, why wouldn't they have converting drone vehicles?   ???  And if converting vehicles were piloted, would there have been piloted converting mechs?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #786 on: 03 August 2022, 10:41:11 »
Could be but if they have non-converting drone vehicles, why wouldn't they have converting drone vehicles?   ???  And if converting vehicles were piloted, would there have been piloted converting mechs?

*ponders* Nah.

On your table, have funsies. But in my headcanon, nope. Sorry, but MASK's vehicles don't inspire me enough, and Battletech-ifying them makes their use questionable at best when you already have the ability to build Mech-to-vehicle conversions.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #787 on: 03 August 2022, 12:00:41 »
honestly you could basically treat most of the ground vehicles as Rotunda variants, with the 'flying' types mounting kanga style jumpjet arrays.

personally i'd saythat if M.A.S.K. appears in the nebula, it would be on 'Earth' alongside the superbeings, perhaps combined with GIJoe as part of a SHIELD expy.

alternately you could just make the flying cars as support aircraft and just claim they look like cars when taxing.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2022, 12:04:18 by glitterboy2098 »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #788 on: 03 August 2022, 12:41:38 »
personally i'd saythat if M.A.S.K. appears in the nebula, it would be on 'Earth' alongside the superbeings, perhaps combined with GIJoe as part of a SHIELD expy.

Oooo! That WORKS for me!

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #789 on: 03 August 2022, 14:24:35 »
*ponders* Nah.

On your table, have funsies. But in my headcanon, nope. Sorry, but MASK's vehicles don't inspire me enough, and Battletech-ifying them makes their use questionable at best when you already have the ability to build Mech-to-vehicle conversions.

- Herb

That's cool.  :thumbsup:

honestly you could basically treat most of the ground vehicles as Rotunda variants, with the 'flying' types mounting kanga style jumpjet arrays.

alternately you could just make the flying cars as support aircraft and just claim they look like cars when taxing.

Sounds good to me too!  :thumbsup:

Would there be converting Joe and Cobra vehicles. Cause crossovers. Just curious.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #790 on: 04 August 2022, 22:44:54 »
Would there be converting Joe and Cobra vehicles. Cause crossovers. Just curious.

Not until the Syberians and the Earthlings cross paths. And judging by the maps and the opening fiction from WttNC, only one Syberians has made it even half the way there, only to land on Toreel....

- Herb

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #791 on: 04 August 2022, 23:31:18 »
So not any time soon.  ;)  Kind of a bummer. The crossovers are pretty cool. Megatron as a HISS Tank would be fun.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #792 on: 05 August 2022, 01:39:14 »
So not any time soon.  ;)  Kind of a bummer. The crossovers are pretty cool. Megatron as a HISS Tank would be fun.
in the 2003 crossover comics, Megatron was still a pistol (was actually stuck as a pistol) but Cobra reprogrammed autobots and used them as shocktroops disguised as Cobra vehicles. Optimus Prime, Ironhide and Ratchet were all HISS tanks. (the alt-timeline story went that Cobra found the Ark before the occupants woke up, and they took advantage of the offline Autobots and Decepticons, with only megatron waking up. it ends with a few autobots that got missed helping GIjoe rescue the rest)
though there was a toy made of Megatron as a HISS tank as part of a limited editions line.

(man the transformers wiki is almost as bad a timesink as TVtropes.)
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 01:41:15 by glitterboy2098 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #793 on: 05 August 2022, 03:04:55 »
in the 2003 crossover comics, Megatron was still a pistol (was actually stuck as a pistol) but Cobra reprogrammed autobots and used them as shocktroops disguised as Cobra vehicles. Optimus Prime, Ironhide and Ratchet were all HISS tanks. (the alt-timeline story went that Cobra found the Ark before the occupants woke up, and they took advantage of the offline Autobots and Decepticons, with only megatron waking up. it ends with a few autobots that got missed helping GIjoe rescue the rest)
though there was a toy made of Megatron as a HISS tank as part of a limited editions line.

That's cool. I didn't know about those ones. I'd seen Soundwave and Megatron as HISS Tanks, Seekers as Rattler Fighters, and Jetfire as Skystriker fighter but not those others. I'll have to look for pictures.

LOL.. That's true.  ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #794 on: 05 August 2022, 08:17:03 »
Not until the Syberians and the Earthlings cross paths. And judging by the maps and the opening fiction from WttNC, only one Syberians has made it even half the way there, only to land on Toreel....

- Herb
Automech won't last too long if they ran into the super humans of "Earth".
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #795 on: 05 August 2022, 09:45:03 »
Automech won't last too long if they ran into the super humans of "Earth".

That's kind of why Marvel decided (after dropping Spider Man in for one issue) to keep the TF universe as a separate universe.

...And why I gave neither world in the Nebula FTL travel. ;)

- Herb

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #796 on: 05 August 2022, 10:38:25 »
That's kind of why Marvel decided (after dropping Spider Man in for one issue) to keep the TF universe as a separate universe.

That one with Spiderman was my first comic book, I believe.  I lost it, I don't know how long ago, then came across another copy and got it again.  This was when Spider-man was with the Venom symbiote, but before he knew it was a symbiote.  He teamed up with Gears for a part of it.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #797 on: 05 August 2022, 14:23:12 »
...And why I gave neither world in the Nebula FTL travel. ;)
- Herb
Wasn't the Fantastic Four in one issue? I collected the entire US Marvel series. I think they were on the 22nd issue. Maybe cover through.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #798 on: 05 August 2022, 15:59:34 »
Wouldn't the existence of supers be a reason for normals to make mechs and powered armor? So they'd have a bit of a chance rather than no chance at all?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #799 on: 05 August 2022, 16:54:28 »
Can't prepare for what you don't know exists.  I'm sure those in the supers area have thier own tech to deal.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #800 on: 05 August 2022, 17:14:33 »

Is that where the image of Baroness with Ravage on a leash came from?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #801 on: 05 August 2022, 18:37:58 »
Wouldn't the existence of supers be a reason for normals to make mechs and powered armor? So they'd have a bit of a chance rather than no chance at all?

Oh sure! Sentinels would be BattleMechs; most of Iron Man's suits are BA. Some others might count as Protos.

And their effectiveness against supers is whatever your GM can justify.

-Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #802 on: 06 August 2022, 04:32:08 »
Is that where the image of Baroness with Ravage on a leash came from?
i believe so

Oh sure! Sentinels would be BattleMechs; most of Iron Man's suits are BA. Some others might count as Protos.

-Herb
and IIRC it is implied that the average tech level of 'earth' is basically late 20th century*, the whole 'lost colony' bit of the BT side of the setting and the 'superscience' stuff of the Comicbook side of the setting would allow for small numbers of more advanced hardware.. probably primitive tech level stuff for most of the more mass produced items, but one or two off units could easily be using succession wars or even star league level tech systems.

*though whether this is IRL 20th century or Battletech 20th century is probably up to the gamemaster.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2022, 04:36:15 by glitterboy2098 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #803 on: 06 August 2022, 16:40:45 »
Can't prepare for what you don't know exists.  I'm sure those in the supers area have thier own tech to deal.

I would think so but you don't see them much in in the comics.

-Herb

That's cool. :)

and IIRC it is implied that the average tech level of 'earth' is basically late 20th century*, the whole 'lost colony' bit of the BT side of the setting and the 'superscience' stuff of the Comicbook side of the setting would allow for small numbers of more advanced hardware.. probably primitive tech level stuff for most of the more mass produced items, but one or two off units could easily be using succession wars or even star league level tech systems.

*though whether this is IRL 20th century or Battletech 20th century is probably up to the gamemaster.

I would think that with so many supers that norms would need a way to deal with them. That would mean making things like Power Armor and Mechs would be a priority.

Maybe a different 20th Century? Patlabor takes place in the late 1990's. I don't think even military Labors would be as good as mechs but they'd be better than nothing. They also use 20th Century weaponry and materials.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #804 on: 08 August 2022, 15:09:15 »
Getting caught back up on the thread:

Ergo my comments on this being madness. In thinking about the fact that the Syberian conversion systems tend to be heavier, I realized it COULD follow that they might be robust enough to deal with 60+ ton convertible aerospace units. But if I went that way, a LOT of AutoMechs would need total rewrites, and at this stage in the game, I'm just not up for that...

- Herb

Actually, it could also prove to be an interesting way to make Bimodal LAMs an option people want to take, versus Trimodal.  Limit Bimodal LAMs to, say, 75-tons, and suddenly transforming Gundams become an option.

Why not follow Superheavy Mechs' example? Double the weight for the conversion systems for Superheavy AutoMechs? Then have some cookies.  ;D

That way lies the VB-6 Koenig Monster:

Slightly off topic, but this just came up from a site I get models from:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10902258

What the heck? ???

I really shouldn't be surprised, given the existence of "shipgirls", which has bled over into games like Worlds of Warships, but I am anyway.

After thinking about it, this is the logical conclusion of the war.  They repopulated the humans with themselves!  ;D

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

Coaster (Hover AutoMech)

Summary
Although the Coaster AutoMech is one of the few known units on Syberia designed to convert into a hovercraft mode, the AutoBoP faction prefers to use this particular model mainly around coastlines and over water....

Code: [Select]
Type: Coaster
Technology Base: Syberian (Experimental)
Tonnage: 55

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 5.5
Conversion Eqpt: Wheeled 8.5
Engine: 275 15.5
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Hover Cruise MP: 7
Hover Flank MP: 11
Heat Sinks (Double): 10 [20] 0
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: AutoMech 3
Armor Factor: 120 7.5
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 15
Center Torso (rear) 8
R/L Torso 13 12
R/L Torso (rear) 6
R/L Arms 9 12
R/L Legs 13 14

Fixed Components Location Critical Mass
Conversion Gear RA/RL/LA/LL 4 0
Hover Fans RA/RL/LA/LL 4 0

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Mass
Common Configuration
Streak SRM-6 RA 2 4.5
Ammo (Streak SRM-6) 15 RA 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
CASE LT 1 0.5
Streak SRM-6 LA 2 4.5
Ammo (Streak SRM-6) 15 LA 1 1

Notes: Features the following Design Quirks: Illegal (Syberian Robotics AI, BattleMech/Wheeled Vehicle Conversion), Improved Sensors, Modular Weapons, Jettison-Capable Weapons (Hands).

Notable Coasters:
Coaster Type Config. Function Skill Grade Skill Set ’Mech/Vehicle Form
Coast Diver Common ArtilleryMech Reg (5/4) Infantry Axman-2N/Maxim Hovertank
Sea Coaster Common ReconMech Elt (1/0) Scout Axman-2N/Maxim Hovertank

Wait, that's showing as wheeled, not hover?

Too bad this can't count.  This was made by a fan, released 20 days ago roughly.

Neat!  :thumbsup:

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #805 on: 08 August 2022, 18:50:16 »
Getting caught back up on the thread:

Actually, it could also prove to be an interesting way to make Bimodal LAMs an option people want to take, versus Trimodal.  Limit Bimodal LAMs to, say, 75-tons, and suddenly transforming Gundams become an option.

I like it!  :thumbsup:

That way lies the VB-6 Koenig Monster

>:D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #806 on: 08 August 2022, 19:27:13 »
I would think so but you don't see them much in in the comics.

Of course not! The moment the normies have parity with the supers, what makes the supers necessary? The Marvel universe uses its Sentinel robots not as a means to level the playing field, but as a threat to super-kind that happens when the normies try to create something as a check on their powers. So, most often, only the villains tend to show up with the equalizing tech--or a super who didn't really need them anyway.

I would think that with so many supers that norms would need a way to deal with them. That would mean making things like Power Armor and Mechs would be a priority.

Maybe a different 20th Century? Patlabor takes place in the late 1990's. I don't think even military Labors would be as good as mechs but they'd be better than nothing. They also use 20th Century weaponry and materials.

Mixing the standard BT and 1945 rules could be a hoot. But my hands are full as it is...

That way lies the VB-6 Koenig Monster:

Meh. I mean, TBH, eliminating the AirMech mode WOULD make me for amenable to the idea, but... nah. I think I gave the Syberians more than enough toys to play with as it is.

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

Not yet!

Wait, that's showing as wheeled, not hover?

Copy/Paste error. Thanks for the catch. Coaster is a HoverMech.

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #807 on: 08 August 2022, 20:49:04 »

Mixing the standard BT and 1945 rules could be a hoot. But my hands are full as it is...

You've been reading my notes on the Ianus system i see.. going to have to check my computer for backdoors.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2022, 02:48:41 by glitterboy2098 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #808 on: 08 August 2022, 21:23:38 »
Of course not! The moment the normies have parity with the supers, what makes the supers necessary? The Marvel universe uses its Sentinel robots not as a means to level the playing field, but as a threat to super-kind that happens when the normies try to create something as a check on their powers. So, most often, only the villains tend to show up with the equalizing tech--or a super who didn't really need them anyway.

I don't think they'd have parity. A more level playing field but not parity.

I might give it a try. It could be fun. There's a couple details I'm not sure about though but I'll give them a thought.

Meh. I mean, TBH, eliminating the AirMech mode WOULD make me for amenable to the idea, but... nah. I think I gave the Syberians more than enough toys to play with as it is.

Enough toys to play with?  :o   What a silly idea.  ;D :))

There are other worlds. Maybe one of them has 75 ton Bimpdal LAMs?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #809 on: 10 August 2022, 08:43:43 »
Side note, i kept thinking about it (Yes, I'm slow.) In comparison, the Quadvees are technically close cousins with the Bi-Mod Syberian ground "LAM" mechs aren't they?  Except no full mech mode, just half tank/ half quad-ish Mech with turret.