Author Topic: Arrow IV homing question  (Read 1464 times)

Vincent Red

• Recruit
Arrow IV homing question
« on: 27 November 2022, 12:51:21 »
Hi guys,

this one should be easy to answer, but it's hard to find in the rules.

When you fire ArrowIV homing indirectly, you choose a hex and if a there is a succesfull TAG hit in radious of 7 hexes, the missile changes it's course to hit the market target. Does it also work with direct artilery fire? If you TAG a target 1 hex away and shoot into the ground on the minimal range, will the missle turn back and hit the market target?

Thank you!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Arrow IV homing question
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2022, 13:17:31 »
Page references per sticky.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Vincent Red

• Recruit
Re: Arrow IV homing question
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2022, 08:30:49 »
Page 354 TacOps
An attack using an Arrow IV Homing Missile is treated as standard artillery weapon attack (see p. 179), with the following exceptions:
•    The Arrow IV Homing Missile does not make its own to-hit roll. Instead, the homing missile may only attack units that have been successfully designated by a friendly TAG unit in the turn of the missile’s arrival.
(...)

My question is does it work for the direct artilery fire so that the rocket hits the tagged target instead of the hex?
If I have a tagged enemy on 1 hex from the artilery, can I use direct artilery fire for a homing ArrowIV missile so that I aim at the ground somewere close and make a rocket turn 180 and hit the tagged target? I'm talking about bypassing the ArrowIVs minimal range with the guided munision. Can I aim at the ground (ArrowIV minimal range) and choose a tagged enemy in range of the homing system counting from the ground hex in any direction? From my understanding of the rules, ArrowIVs minimal range is covered by the homing systems range but I couldn't find a definitive answer to that question. I think artilery rules are split around a few books.

Thank you!

Register