Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles VI: Eye of the Tiger  (Read 43297 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: Armored Fighting Vehicles VI: Eye of the Tiger
« Reply #510 on: 06 December 2023, 18:21:24 »
In North Africa the Brits wanted the Germans to think they had fewer tanks...

While the Germans wanted the Brits to think they had more!

« Last Edit: 06 December 2023, 18:23:08 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #511 on: 06 December 2023, 19:32:34 »
Which just goes to show that nobody ever has the right amount of tanks!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #512 on: 06 December 2023, 23:53:38 »
I thank my associates for trying to clarify my statement.
YES.  the USMC's Armor formations are gone, their personnel either repurposed, retired or transferred to the Army.
But the USMC M1s are still in service.  They have DISTINCTIVE serial numbers and have stamped EGAs in various locations.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #513 on: 09 December 2023, 11:41:22 »
So, Fury if it were WWI. And British:  https://youtu.be/h54oFH0paZU
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #514 on: 09 December 2023, 19:51:23 »
Oh, the humanity! ;D

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #515 on: 10 December 2023, 04:06:19 »
Why did I know that it's the Squire even before I clicked the link?
Shoot first, laugh later.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #516 on: 10 December 2023, 13:11:24 »

Oops... he got a little bit cocky, eh?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #517 on: 10 December 2023, 13:48:50 »
Hey, it's the 15; most Dangerous Road in America TM.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #518 on: 10 December 2023, 14:22:23 »
That reminds me of video from Syrian Civil War, when rebels were trying to tow a captured BMP-1 with tractors and people were swarming the BMP. Somebody must have pulled the trigger on the main gun and while the round didn't detonate at such short distance, it still took off the head of the driver of one of the tractors. 

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #519 on: 10 December 2023, 22:35:41 »
Friendly fire does have the right of way, after all. :rolleyes:

Say, in other parts of the world, sometimes you have to kill yourself to save yourself (to mis-paraphrase a statement of a US Army officer from a different war about a completely different scenario):

In case you don't feel like playing the guessing game, the first is indeed a GAZ-66 light/medium truck covered in Kontakt-5 ERA, while the second is a UAZ-452 van. Including the windshield.
--A. Duritz

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #520 on: 10 December 2023, 22:42:04 »
It seems like reactive armor bricks would be of limited use on a truck that's presumably not particularly heavily armored?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #521 on: 10 December 2023, 23:24:20 »
The explosion of the ERA would do more damage to the truck than the incoming round.

Shows that idiots are endemic everywhere...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #522 on: 11 December 2023, 01:07:44 »
The explosion of the ERA would do more damage to the truck than the incoming round.

Shows that idiots are endemic everywhere...

It's only an issue if the 'ERA' is actually ERA and not say, bricks of heroin.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #523 on: 11 December 2023, 01:09:25 »
ERA goblins cannot be stopped.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #524 on: 11 December 2023, 22:38:47 »
How many of you still have your fruit salad when you finished your tours?

Or do you have more to add in your current tour?

I ask because my granduncle recently passed away and left me his, served the Army from '42-'54 as an enlisted, corporal stipes, until he retired. Walked with a limp, asked him if it was a war wound, smirked when he said it was a bedroom one...

I got several combat ribbons, his Soldier, Service, Victory Medals, a Korean one and some French medal: La France a ses Liberateurs.

Colorful threads...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 20 December 2023, 21:33:33 »

say hello to 1K17 Compression Russia's Laser Tank
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #526 on: 20 December 2023, 21:44:56 »

say hello to 1K17 Compression Russia's Laser Tank

Another real Russian military innovation indistinguishable from a parody shitpost.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #527 on: 20 December 2023, 22:05:07 »
Like this lovely gem:

Progvev-T, a T-54 with a Mig-15 jet engine that was meant to cook off landmines
How did we not get these in Red Alert?

All the same, it's legacy lived on in away;

Big Wind, The God of Hellfire. This anime character is a T-32 with twin Mig-21 Jet engines built to help snuff out the oil well fires of Kuwait in 1991.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #528 on: 20 December 2023, 22:56:30 »
Didn't the Soviets also experiment with a tank-mounted sonic cannon for shooting down bombers?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #529 on: 21 December 2023, 00:42:37 »
Didn't the Soviets also experiment with a tank-mounted sonic cannon for shooting down bombers?
honestly, it would not surprise me..  there were a lots of soviet ideas that 40K looked at and went YES
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #530 on: 21 December 2023, 02:10:39 »
I remember reading something about the Soviets experimenting with a sonic cannon as an anti-aircraft weapon... and canceling the project when they realized that it had an effective range of about 3 feet.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #531 on: 21 December 2023, 03:44:06 »
Regarding the ERA van thing, some posters I follow mention that it seems to be a running gag among Russian army units in Ukraine: to see what unit builds the most preposterous van.

Here is another example. It is supposed to be "an antidrone coverage test" to pass the raised eyeborws of the higher ups.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #532 on: 21 December 2023, 05:46:43 »
That reminds of Libyan sheepskin tank

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #533 on: 21 December 2023, 14:21:26 »
Regarding the ERA van thing, some posters I follow mention that it seems to be a running gag among Russian army units in Ukraine: to see what unit builds the most preposterous van.

Here is another example. It is supposed to be "an antidrone coverage test" to pass the raised eyeborws of the higher ups.

The theory behind Russia’s shaggy trucks is that the fur or grasses disperse their heat signatures at night, which is when Russia is moving logistics these days.  This is suppossed to make it harder for Ukrainian drones, especially FPVs, to spot and target the trucks with their IR cameras/sensors.  But the trucks’ windscreens have to be left clear so drivers can see where they’re going.  This may cause the windows to stick out even more against the IR background and help guide FPV operators fly their drone warheads right into the trucks’ cabins.  (“In Russia, camouflage exposes you!”)

I heard this from a former tank operator who reports daily for the London Telegraph’s podcast on the war.  I assume the same nighttime/IR logic applies to the sheepskin tank — otherwise this type of camo will make these vehicles stick out even more in daytime — but someone closer to that case may know better.

FWIW…
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #534 on: 21 December 2023, 19:35:23 »
I don't know... compare the color of the sheepskins to the terrain behind that tank and the paint color... ;)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #535 on: 21 December 2023, 19:52:54 »
I don't know... compare the color of the sheepskins to the terrain behind that tank and the paint color... ;)

I mean, the reality is that no matter what colour something starts out as, it's going to end up the colour of either mud or dust or both in short order.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #536 on: 21 December 2023, 19:57:59 »
The front fenders get there, but not so much the rest... ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #537 on: 21 December 2023, 23:24:31 »
I feel as though they're risking some issues with the engine's ventilation.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
« Reply #538 on: 22 December 2023, 01:16:48 »
And cooling, which would explain why tank broke down and was captured.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #539 on: 25 December 2023, 15:13:01 »
Apropos of nothing, a B1 Centauro.  I'm really surprised with how low the turret is on these, it makes it look very flat by comparison to other IFVs turrets.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register