Author Topic: MW5 - Anyone play on console?  (Read 2358 times)

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
MW5 - Anyone play on console?
« on: 07 January 2023, 02:58:16 »
Hey everybody.  I was wondering if anyone here plays Mechwarrior 5 on console instead of PC? I played the hell outta MW4 on PC way back, with a Logitech joystick of some kind and had a blast.  I’m finding the movement controls on the console pad deeply counterintuitive, though.

I would love it if I could make the Mech movement play the same as your character moves around the Dropship. Is there a way to pull this off? For the record; this is on a PS4 that was recently hand-me-downed to my kids and I, so I don’t know too much about controller options and such yet. I’ve re-mapped a few buttons, but there doesn’t seem to be anything about altering stick functions that I can find.

Any help is much appreciated!

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
Re: MW5 - Anyone play on console?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2023, 06:13:30 »
If you’re looking for a way to stop using the classic tank movement, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. This is something MechWarrior always uses, and I don’t expect that to go away.

IIRC, MechAssault didn’t have tank movement, but that’s a fundamentally different series of games from MechWarrior despite also being a BattleTech product.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 06:16:27 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2023, 08:00:50 »
If you’re looking for a way to stop using the classic tank movement, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. This is something MechWarrior always uses, and I don’t expect that to go away.

IIRC, MechAssault didn’t have tank movement, but that’s a fundamentally different series of games from MechWarrior despite also being a BattleTech product.

Fair enough. The joystick I was using in MW4 definitely had to be configured specifically for what I wanted, for sure.

In my favourite setup, there was a little throttle paddle on the base that controlled strictly throttle, while the joystick controlled steering and up/down. The torso twist was controlled by twisting the joystick, so you controlled all the targeting and steering through one input and strictly throttle through another.

The closest thing I’ve found so far is how MW5 handles the first person character moving through different areas of the Dropship. I was just hoping there was a way to configure Mech movement like that. Throttle and twist on left, steering and up/down on right.

Edit: It was a Logitech Extreme joystick of some kind, if that helps. With the silver base.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 09:55:45 by Hammerhead »

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2023, 10:21:38 »
In the absence of that, I would give my firstborn for HOTAS 4 support….

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2023, 15:59:53 »
I don't know how you play the game, but I've always had my best experience playing both of PGI's MechWarrior games by turning Throttle Decay off, first and foremost. You may or may not have already done that yourself; to the best of my knowledge, that was never a thing in any MechWarrior title before Online and 5: Mercenaries. Where this concerns controllers, this at least allows you to keep moving and turn as you need to without risking slowing down except perhaps on your own terms, depending on your bindings.

There may be someone out there who uses Throttle Decay on purpose in either or both games, but for me, as someone used to playing games in the series that didn't have it to begin with, I found it more of a hindrance than a help. ;D Your mileage may vary.

Most MWO (and presumably PC-playing MW5Mercs) players use M+K, and consider it vastly superior to any HOTAS or other form of joystick in the modern climate, but for your purposes in MW5Mercs... I unfortunately do not own a HOTAS of any kind – I wish I did, because I want to play Elite: Dangerous with one – but I don't see why it wouldn't work with MW5Mercs. On PC, at the very least... As a console player, and specifically a Playstation player, your issue may be with Sony rather than PGI.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2023, 22:40:56 »
So, patch notes came out for the upcoming Rise of Rasalhague update. It appears that a control scheme similar to traditional shooters is coming to the game after all. I'm not yet sure what that means, but maybe it'll help you some. :)

The update, like the expansion, is releasing January 26.

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2023, 12:57:24 »
So, patch notes came out for the upcoming Rise of Rasalhague update. It appears that a control scheme similar to traditional shooters is coming to the game after all. I'm not yet sure what that means, but maybe it'll help you some. :)

The update, like the expansion, is releasing January 26.

I just hunted that down. Thanks for the info! Sounds interesting!

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2023, 05:51:37 »
So, just got Rise of Rasalhague, and the 1st person shooter control option pretty much solves my problem with this. I really wish they had included an option to move or remove the D-Pad menu from the center of the screen, though….

On a related note, do I have to start a new campaign to access the Crusader? It doesn’t appear to be showing up in shops or as OpFor on missions….

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2023, 07:03:54 »
In theory, it should start appearing in any campaign or career file you already have. I don't know whose tables they've been added to, though.

Your best chances to access the Crusader, like with any ’Mech, is Instant Action, of course, and they're guaranteed to appear in the new expansion's campaign content.

The Crusader cannot be accessed if you don't own the expansion, however, but I presume you've purchased it. ;D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2023, 10:15:15 »
You also get one from completing the bounty hunter quest line

The d-pad menu is useful for switching on stuff like AMS if your Mech has it or calling in fire on a tough target
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2023, 21:12:33 »
You also get one from completing the bounty hunter quest line

The d-pad menu is useful for switching on stuff like AMS if your Mech has it or calling in fire on a tough target

Bounty Hunter quest line? Interesting. I’ve only just gotten his attention and the bit about providing him with intel on units….

I get that about the D-Pad, but I really wish it was down beside the mini-map instead of right under the crosshairs….

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2023, 21:58:34 »
Bounty Hunter quest line? Interesting. I’ve only just gotten his attention and the bit about providing him with intel on units….

I get that about the D-Pad, but I really wish it was down beside the mini-map instead of right under the crosshairs….

His "quest" is gaining the Intel on all the units there are a bunch of rewards for picking fights with them
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

koonfasa

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2023, 16:36:18 »
I just got this for the PS4 and am enjoying it muchly.

Just missed out on the DLCs for half price though, but I’ve only just scored a Wolverine in 3028, so not too deep into my first game…

https://youtu.be/sbCvbzEwNEM

The Wolverine is my favourite mech, and also used it to smash and earn another, a Warhammer… then bought a hero Dragon and I’m now just a Crusader away from my ultimate lance… shoulda just bought those DLC’s.

Anyway can only imagine the career mode allows you to reach planets at a particular point in time and hope to possibly play out a small skirmish in one of those grander tales.

On the Periphery where you un/knowingly encounter the first clans.
On Trellwan witnessing the birth of the Grey Death Legion.
Supporting Zeta battalion in their last stand.
Go to Solaris7 and try to slot yourself into the hall of fame.
Or even hear Rhonda Snord blasting one of her tunes during a battle…

I imagine this is more a mod thing with PCs, but it’d be so cool if systems could be updated as more of the battleverse was incorporated as specific missions you may encounter. You could eventually capture the entire history of the Battletech universe from 3015-3050, and watch it unfold wherever you go. Solaris should freeze time a little though.

I’d also like to be able to jump inside the dropship and be able to jump on it when outside.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2023, 18:08:21 by koonfasa »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2023, 09:10:00 »
Unfortunately you won't see the Clans outside Mod support on consoles which might happen, it did with fallout years ago so hey

With the DLCs you'll encounter other known merc units but otherwise in the vanilla they don't really play a big part, but you do get your own story

If you like the Wolverine go to Valentina in the DC/OA you won't regret the trip

koonfasa

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2023, 03:42:59 »
Oh wow thanks! I spent the fourth succession war heading back that way to look for a Wolverine. It’s nice! Now I have three mechs I can rotate missions on…

Just jumped on the Kickstarter and that reminds me, I gotta down load all the clan PDFs still…

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2023, 20:53:10 »
The Razer variant of the Wolverine is pretty handy especially if you upgrade the UAC to a top grade gun

koonfasa

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2023, 04:57:27 »
Been using the Q as my primary, but omg, I got my mech destroyed when I went to Sarna, 130 tonnes under. Wasn’t expecting to see my first 100T. Charged a King Crab down and blew it to pieces with cover from my Archer and Catapult.

Next check point took too long casually lining up tanks and stumbled into a Thunderbolt at close range. Flanked with an Awesome, wtf! Came out losing an arm but jumped away from the lights and tanks into a landing party with a Stalker. Lucky head shot jumping out with no arms and into an Urbanmech that finished my Wolverine off. What a blast!

Continued in the Archer to see an Atlas as well!!! And 24 salvage points couldn’t own any of those mechs! Assaults all 40+ and a few heavies. I could only get the Urbanmech!?!!

Was that just a tease?

I’m going to have to switch to something heavier one day, aren’t I?

Register