Author Topic: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!  (Read 47432 times)

Decoy

• Captain
Who are you worried about responding to it?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I'm expecting it to be short but bloody.  It doesn't look like Catalyst wants it to be the Next Big Conflict.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
It’ll be short unless Alaric decides to turn it into a quagmire. Although I doubt even with his absurd character and faction ‘development’ he can afford to deal with the combine.

Both sides have larger problems to address. For us all the useless lore we got is falling apart and the Dracs just lost half a dozen regiments and a dozen worlds to their mortal enemy.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
the cats didnt start raiding us without Hegira due to joining the 2SL or the black dragons. thats why we hated them, the other stuff made it worse.
I dont see the bears doing this for the Cats, but if Alaric can capitalize on the situation that works too. Also I assume the dracs are the first target for the smoke jags revenge as well. Although they cant take that many Ls in a row, unless the become the 3SW capellans narratively.

your side question:
I think that is a silly way of looking at things, given omni mechs.
a better way is to look at native production, speed and pod weight

Fire Moth: 6.5t 10/15(20)
Viper: 8.5t 8/12/8
ROtter: 18.5t 5/8(10) (re)
Mad Dog MkIII: 30t 5/8
Karhu: 30t 5/8
Executioner: 26.5t 4/6(8)/4
Mastodon: 45t 3/5 (re)

we have some second line mechs we also build
Kodiak/Kodiak II brawlers or missile snipers depending (4/6)
Viking IIC missiles (3/4)
Highlander IIC 3 3/5/3 (i think this is a refit from New Oslo which we lost in the closing of the dark ages. New oslo seemed to be a HAG foucsed refit facility)
Cyclops C, brawler that does ok at range (4/5)
some variatns of MAD IIC, long range (3/5)
Bruin a fancy grizzly (4/6/4)
Ryoken II (gross) long range (5/8)
Grizzly 2/3 skrimish at shorter ranges preferably (4/6/4)
Arcas of all varieties, skirmish at close preferably (5/8/5)
Kuma (gross again) hyper jumpy (6/9/8 or 6/9/6)
Gravedigger (grosser) (4/6)
a coupe Shadow Hawk IIC variants, skirmisher (striker via MUL) (6/9/6)
Beowulf IIC scout/striker (6/9(12)/6
Kontio, striker/scout (7/11)++
Horned Owl striker/skirmisher (6/9/6 or 6/9 or 5/8/7)
a couple locust IIC variants, sniper scout (fast)
Bear cub, trainer (8/12)
Ursus/II lots of variants for different situations, skirmisher

to answer the question directly we have alot of strikers and skirmishers but that is just clan tech. a huge amount of snipers and a fair number missile boats. a decent number of juggernaughts and then some (more than Jugg) brawlers. more scouts than i though, but alot of them are just fast and do no damage compared to having dedicated electronics.

Doesn't the Dominion also build the Hunchback C?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
No. It’s built on a WE planet. Or refit there.

We had the OG one back in the end of the CI era. I
We have access to it cause the Warbear was the driving force behind reviving it. I assume we trade Kontios for it.

I am pretty sure my list is close to everything we natively produce. I forgot the mongrel

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
When the book itself weirdly touts several times that the Bears have never lost a war against the Combine (while ignoring that they've never won one, either) and specifically calls out the Bears' intention for their unprovoked assault to be a short, victorious war, I kinda doubt it will be either short or victorious. The Combine just wrapped up their big conflict and Yori just got done housecleaning, whereas the Bears are the embodiment of "internally screaming" right now.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
When the book itself weirdly touts several times that the Bears have never lost a war against the Combine (while ignoring that they've never won one, either)

I can read foreshadowing as well as the next person. I will be shocked if this is a short victorious war.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
If the Bears are looking at a war with the Combine, why did they land troops on Tomans in the Tamar Pact?  Are they going in both directions, or was there other reasons to poke Tamar?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
If the Bears are looking at a war with the Combine, why did they land troops on Tomans in the Tamar Pact?  Are they going in both directions, or was there other reasons to poke Tamar?
Recon in force. With no HPGs it is what you have to do to get solid Intel sometimes.

While going that way has been the superior option for decades there are meta reasons against it. That said there is a non-zero chance something stupid will happen there.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
When the book itself weirdly touts several times that the Bears have never lost a war against the Combine (while ignoring that they've never won one, either) and specifically calls out the Bears' intention for their unprovoked assault to be a short, victorious war, I kinda doubt it will be either short or victorious. The Combine just wrapped up their big conflict and Yori just got done housecleaning, whereas the Bears are the embodiment of "internally screaming" right now.

We are getting a repeat of the 62/63 war aren't we (but with reveres roles) and I wouldend be surpised if the Horses come stampeding through Bear territory again.
Which might break the entire Dominion apart given their current situation.

Church14

• Lieutenant
Who are you worried about responding to it?

Worried isn’t the word. I don’t think anyone will respond to it. People seem to think Alaric is going to instantaneously know what is happening and have some sort of stratagem to defeat the combine that takes advantage of it.

I think it’s gonna be a localized, nasty, ugly war that blows up in the RasDom’s face because it doesn’t seem at all planned well and smacks of overconfidence.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
Worried isn’t the word. I don’t think anyone will respond to it. People seem to think Alaric is going to instantaneously know what is happening and have some sort of stratagem to defeat the combine that takes advantage of it.

I think it’s gonna be a localized, nasty, ugly war that blows up in the RasDom’s face because it doesn’t seem at all planned well and smacks of overconfidence.

I wouldn't say overconfidence, more blind panic, Alaric has shown that he wants nothing more than total obedience and has no respect for the internal politics of other clans effectively showing that the RasDom was a pipe dream and that IS and Clan can't coexist as close to equals with the like of Alaric in power, the DC attack is a distraction in order to provide a bread and circus to the masses to hide that the leadership doesn't currently have a clue what to do and is afraid to appear weak and get replaced possibly violently and with full finality.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

DOC_Agren

• Major
I am so confused at the current moves.. but then again every faction ends up at points doing the DUMB things.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Church14

• Lieutenant
I am so confused at the current moves.. but then again every faction ends up at points doing the DUMB things.

If I understand it right, Pro-ilclan leaders are trying to gin up support towards joining the ilclan by having a quick, decisive war. Winners tend to get a surge in support and whatnot.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major

What did they say on Who’s Line is it Anyway? Welcome to the ilClan era RasDom, where lore is made up and doesn’t matter anyway?

Be nice if we did anything but dumb.

If I understand it right, Pro-ilclan leaders are trying to gin up support towards joining the ilclan by having a quick, decisive war. Winners tend to get a surge in support and whatnot.

Church has the right of it. It’s similar to the CHH ‘trial’ to own the Mongol Doctrine via Operation NOYAN. If pro ilClan units beat the combine that is the right way to go then.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
Fixed that for you. The second plebiscite it a looming future problem. Right now, in this five minutes, they just want some unity.

Minemech

• Captain
 Haste makes waste. This will be the lesson Clan Ghost Bear learns...

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
The fact that the Ghost Bears, of literally every faction, would need to learn that lesson is kind of stupid. The faction who has "slow to react" as a defining trait suddenly has amnesia.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
Strangely enough, people still make bad decisions even when they should know better.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
The fact that the Ghost Bears, of literally every faction, would need to learn that lesson is kind of stupid. The faction who has "slow to react" as a defining trait suddenly has amnesia.

Well it might also be a point of "getting complacent". The Bears had a very long time of peace (only the 2nd Dominion-combine war as short interruption) and they probably thought this peace was ment forever. Yes they "deported" their freeminders but that was still localized (contained in the Vega Protectorate). They came through the Dark Age so far untouched and this might confirm they had everything under control. In a way just like the Republic thought their society was good. Along comes Alaric and his demands and suddenly everything goes south. Fracture lines appear they have no idea how to deal with despite becoming more Inner Sphere then other Clans (though imho this reeks of dumb writing instead of believable reasons)

Also take it from a world build point of view: can't make the Bears subservient to the Wolves who only have 29 clusters worth of troops left (if those are even at 100% strength) when said Bears probably have double that before their own civil war. Which still makes me scratch my head how the IlClan wants to actually conquer the entire IS when they are actually at a rather weak point without much hope of reinforcing their touman.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
The writers would have been told there is going to be a civil war. We want brother vs brother for maximum nasty, and we want the war for this reason to tie it into the larger storyline. When the writers' jaws have been picked up off the ground the choice is pass or make the best of it.

If you stop and think about it most of these divisions go back to the 1980s. They just have never been explored.  Battletech focuses on the elites while DD went low level, if only to get the required brother vs brother. A classic BattleTech tome would have just split the touman. You can see the thinking in Hour of the Wolf where the Prince is mute next to the Khan. DD hammers home that someone realised the civilians are in charge. Something that simple wasn't going to cut it.
Two reactions to DD struck me. First that those fighting were normal. Only weirdos are radicalised enough to pick up weapons. Most Clan descendent don't want a return to castes. Most Combine descendent don't think an ilKhan will save them. Most Rasalhagian descendent don't want to get rid of the Bears. But those that do stick up, are noticed, and influence society.

The second thing was Alaric-Senpai. Miraborg isn't pushing joining the Star League because he is gushing over Alaric. It is a cold prediction that in the medium to long term Alaric will succeed and the Dominion will be faced with a choice in a weaker bargaining position. Alaric's rejection doesn't change that equation. Plenty of politicians double down when initially rejected when they think they are right.

The dumb part is that population cared enough to start hurting each other. The less said about the Joiner reaction to the rejection the better. But given certain events ordained from on high DD at least tries to establish reasons beyond Alaric Senpai.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
I got the part about the civil war especially with the title.  Personally I thought that Alaric would be reinforced with about 1/3 of the Ghost Bears clusters who believed in the iKhan era and left without permission.  I felt the whole sibling rivalry going to far was hitting to close to American politics but I was neither the in charge nor the writer.

Thank you for telling us some of the behind the scenes events and pushing the story forward.  It is forums like these that tell me writers and developers listen as well as respond with the best of their ability.

May the iKhan era bring about one of my favourite sci-if quotes “it is not the next frontier, it is the next battleground.”

Church14

• Lieutenant
I got the part about the civil war especially with the title.  Personally I thought that Alaric would be reinforced with about 1/3 of the Ghost Bears clusters who believed in the iKhan era and left without permission.  I felt the whole sibling rivalry going to far was hitting to close to American politics but I was neither the in charge nor the writer.

Thank you for telling us some of the behind the scenes events and pushing the story forward.  It is forums like these that tell me writers and developers listen as well as respond with the best of their ability.

May the iKhan era bring about one of my favourite sci-if quotes “it is not the next frontier, it is the next battleground.”

My current (biased) guess is several of the die-hard joiners will still abandon their posts to join Alaric. Though it’ll be after their foray into the combine backfires and pushes RasDom citizens against the league.

Minemech

• Captain
 The thing is, the Dragon will likely fight to annihilate. The Dragon may not succeed in destroying the Clan itself, but any diehards that run into the DCMS will either win their fights or become partake in the nitrogen cycle. Knowing what I know of the Combine's character, I could see them chasing remnants to Terra just to destroy those Clusters.

MarauderD

• Major
The Dragon is crazy healthy.  They lost a rebellious warlord and 5 to 6 veteran/elite units.  They gained Marduk, an incredibly important mech producing world.  They got YEARS of wartime production off of Robinson and New Avalon.  They conquered more than a dozen planets in the Draconis Reach area.  And now they are recruiting these quantity over quality Ashigaru regiments. 

The Bears would win a short, focused war against them.  Long term, the Dragon is still too beefy unless the Clans focus on them to the exclusion of all else  (Hi Daoshen!)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
The thing is, the Dragon will likely fight to annihilate. The Dragon may not succeed in destroying the Clan itself, but any diehards that run into the DCMS will either win their fights or become partake in the nitrogen cycle. Knowing what I know of the Combine's character, I could see them chasing remnants to Terra just to destroy those Clusters.

If we take into account that Yori is now fully in charge and that the Combine has a big axe to grind with the Bears I can actually see that. Plus her Ashigaru initiatives have created a lot of militas on several worlds. If those are as tenacious as during Operation Bulldog the Bears are in for a very tough fight. Yes a lot of frontline commands have been lost or badly damaged against the Suns but Yori still has some forces left. And if the Bears bring one of their big ships into play I doubt the Combine is squeamish enough to deploy nukes just to get rid of those behemoths. Heck she might actually turn her army into fanatics saying "Look at these cowardly Clanners! They onyl attack us when we are distracted! Now let's teach these bastards a lesson they never forget and also send that so called IlClan a message: the Dragon bows to NO ONE!"

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

I think the story hit close to American politics, but more so the politics of the 1770s, than current day. Back then there was a spilt among the people, an outside power pushing the friction to make a decision one way, and people of all levels taking up arms for and against the issue of the day fighting against neighbors.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
I am not sure when the moratorium on recent history cuts off, but De Gaulle riling up the French Canadians was mentioned in fact checking. Still jaw dropping.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
[snip]
[snip]
[snip]

Not only is the Dragon in relatively good shape, some very combat hardened commands, combat hardened troops being transferred to training positions and command positions in the new Ashigaru Regiments, they also have numbers with the new Regiments.
They will also be in a defensive war against an invading Clan... again, which will increase their recruitment rates and desire to win any engagements.
Also there's no RotS trying to keep the peace or Black Dragons to use as an Honourable way to back out for either side.

The Dragon is going to go for broke and Yori has been planning for the Bears to jump the boarders, this is not going to go well for the Bears from the get go.

This war is unwinnable, will be lost because those in charge (of the faction) are well short sighted is the nicest way to say it, and because Alaric Senpi UWU had a toddlers tantrum over not being seen as the Wolfiest wolf that ever wolfed, hopefully iCEO will shed some light on his decision, And maybe with how bad the war goes will result in the RasDom leadership being ousted and all this blamed on Alaric and the Dominion goes all Anti-3rd League because of it and the Dominion will get a loss and most of the other fans will be happy that they're not some super untouchable faction, and then the Dominion can have its own win, for its own reasons, on its own merits and the Dominion can stop being some other factions Deus Ex Ursai.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Minemech

• Captain
 If the Dragon goes for Alshain and manages to take it, they will have a decisive victory. It would also redefine Battletech's balance of powers.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2023, 07:49:35 by Minemech »

Register