Author Topic: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!  (Read 48312 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Rasalhague Dominion: The voting will continue until morale improves!
« Reply #570 on: 04 September 2023, 10:09:57 »
 I think that it is more likely that the Bears will be forced to abandon Vega as indefensible (If they are not swept there first) than it become its own state. As for a Rasalhague/Clan split, neither can afford it unless the Bears merge with the Wolves on Terra. That has not stopped such events from happening in history before, but Rasalhague tends to have a realist view of their situation.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #571 on: 04 September 2023, 11:56:31 »
I can see it being the building blocks for the later Separatist/Periphery forces and a need for the Auditor Clusters, mentioned in the post dated sections of other books, the yes and no factions bury the hatchet in the Combine, things simmer, while the Dominion joins the SL, the SL abuses it's position like every attempt at it even the first one did, reignites the factions and we get a rebirth of a Rasalhague nation as a freedom fighting oppressed group, with some going of to the new Periphery and some factories supporting them, under the table, with older equipment.. something, something, something, time passes the nu, nu, nu, new Sl collapses because of its own hubris, this time the leaders just realising recreating it is a silly idea and Earth is just a painting and we can move on from the idea of a SL.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #572 on: 04 September 2023, 12:21:36 »
I wouldn’t assume yet that RasDom joins the league. All the hints are that the pro joiner groups are about to get egg on their face from the Combine.

That said, I’ve wondered if RasDom loses hard if the joiners would lose a ton of influence. Would that drive somemdiehards to break off and join the ilclan as “the real Ghost Bears?” It’s a bit of a rehash of sorts with the Falcons where there’s a tiny scrap of them as part of Alaric’s wolves and the rest as independent, but it would give Alaric a few desperately needed people.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #573 on: 04 September 2023, 12:27:58 »
 A rout might take the RD's mind off of the Star League entirely for a season.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2023, 12:29:33 by Minemech »

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #574 on: 04 September 2023, 15:56:19 »
Just a question: does the Motstand still exist in the Dominion? From what I remember they got basically wiped out by Dahlia Bekker who used it as a springboard to Khanship. But might there be remnants left? I thought I had read something along the line in Dominions Divided but I might be mistaken. Just think about this: the war goes south and now you have to face terror attacks from within too. And this time they might have also otherwise loyal Rasalhagians among their ranks
« Last Edit: 05 September 2023, 06:24:56 by Metallgewitter »

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #575 on: 04 September 2023, 17:34:15 »
Just a question: does the Motstand still exist in the Dominion? From what I remember they got basically wiped out by Dahlia Bekker who used it as a springboard to Khanship. But might there be remnants left? I thought I had read something along the line in Dominions Divided but I might be mistaken. Just hink about this: the war goes south and now you have to face terror attacks from within too. And thios time they might have also otherwise loaly Rasalhagians among their ranks

There are elements of Motstand left but (for now) you more likely see them at street corners and rally’s than trying to attack recruiting stations or bases.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #576 on: 04 September 2023, 20:07:12 »
Just a question: does the Motstand still exist in the Dominion? From what I remember they got basically wiped out by Dahlia Bekker who used it as a springboard to Khanship. But might there be remnants left? I thought I had read something along the line in Dominions Divided but I might be mistaken. Just hink about this: the war goes south and now you have to face terror attacks from within too. And thios time they might have also otherwise loaly Rasalhagians among their ranks
I could give some real life examples...

Think somewhere between old racist uncle, and that group of old guys at the back of the bar who talk a lot but are too comfortable to do anything.

Since Bekker wrecked them Motstand is caught between rebuilding and a population that is comfortable with the status quo. Indeed Joiners and Denier used them as a source of weapons without buying into the ideology. Mimir know who they are and wishes they would just shut up and let demography do its work. While there was nothing specific about Motpart, they probably think the same.

Motstand need some stars to align to become relevant again. Specifically Rasalhagians to feel oppressed.  The Joiner Denier divide isn't that yet. At this point I don't see how that will happen in the medium term. There are pluses and minuses for Rasalhagians in a Star League and there is no real consensus on that yet.

Motpart

• Private
« Reply #577 on: 05 September 2023, 08:27:20 »
I could give some real life examples...

Think somewhere between old racist uncle, and that group of old guys at the back of the bar who talk a lot but are too comfortable to do anything.

Since Bekker wrecked them Motstand is caught between rebuilding and a population that is comfortable with the status quo. Indeed Joiners and Denier used them as a source of weapons without buying into the ideology. Mimir know who they are and wishes they would just shut up and let demography do its work. While there was nothing specific about Motpart, they probably think the same.

Motstand need some stars to align to become relevant again. Specifically Rasalhagians to feel oppressed.  The Joiner Denier divide isn't that yet. At this point I don't see how that will happen in the medium term. There are pluses and minuses for Rasalhagians in a Star League and there is no real consensus on that yet.

General conscription and economic mobilisation for Rasalhagians into a losing Joiner war to assault Luthien, protect Ghost Bear OZ holdings in the Combine region, and the Bear's Terra Invasion Corridor and Freeminder dumping ground in Vega; while the Bear's congenial frenemies and would-be Denier brethren, the Horses, continue to hold Rasalhague systems from New Oslo to Hyperion to Csesztreg, could get the ball rolling in the short-term.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #578 on: 05 September 2023, 14:13:53 »
General conscription and economic mobilisation for Rasalhagians into a losing Joiner war to assault Luthien...

When did this become Joiner war? It's been made very clear that this is a common project

...while the Bear's congenial frenemies and would-be Denier brethren, the Horses, continue to hold Rasalhague systems from New Oslo to Hyperion to Csesztreg, could get the ball rolling in the short-term.

By this logic Rasalhague continues to hold Draconis Combine systems from Rasalhague to Alshain

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #579 on: 05 September 2023, 14:19:12 »
When did this become Joiner war? It's been made very clear that this is a common project

When a blatantly Joiner leader took the reins of power and initiated the war. It's not complicated.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #580 on: 05 September 2023, 15:26:27 »
So I’m otherwise good news my Bears have defeated two Falcon forces in the past month and claimed a Binary in salvage. First a Star on Star match, losing two of my own mechs (one pilot dead) to defeat an enemy Star (three pilots dead). A second match pitted three commanders on each side: a Falcon commander died to a headshot and I claimed an almost pristine Jade Phoenix, while the other two Falcons fell with ‘minimal’ damage on my end (my Cave Bear will need a LOT of armor and like a couple points of ES replaced). I have a third Trial set with the Falcons to ‘acquire’ a third and final Star of mechs. Hopefully I can go 3/3.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #581 on: 05 September 2023, 15:49:22 »
When a blatantly Joiner leader took the reins of power and initiated the war. It's not complicated.

A war which both sides jumped on, not just Joiners

Also not complicated

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #582 on: 05 September 2023, 15:54:16 »
A war which both sides jumped on, not just Joiners

Also not complicated

Deniers (and Joiners, for that matter) being stupid enough to go along with it doesn't make it any less of a Joiner-initiated war. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #583 on: 05 September 2023, 17:46:40 »
General conscription and economic mobilisation for Rasalhagians into a losing Joiner war to assault Luthien, protect Ghost Bear OZ holdings in the Combine region, and the Bear's Terra Invasion Corridor and Freeminder dumping ground in Vega; while the Bear's congenial frenemies and would-be Denier brethren, the Horses, continue to hold Rasalhague systems from New Oslo to Hyperion to Csesztreg, could get the ball rolling in the short-term.

What Ghost Bear OZ? Does the Alshain Military District mean nothing to Rasalhagians?
Failure in war will cut across factions in the Dominion.  Why would Motstand be special? Miraborg is a Rasalhagian, trained to be a Ghost Bear, ELECTED by everyone. He is a product of the system. The system the Rasalhagians forced into place in 3103. Plenty of blame to go around. While there are those in Motstand that may gain some support but the drivers aren't there for some kind of grand Rasalhagian revolution. If anything the result would be some kind of nationalist dictatorship.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2023, 19:01:44 by Jellico »

Motpart

• Private
« Reply #584 on: 05 September 2023, 22:25:09 »
What Ghost Bear OZ?

Referring to the former Combine worlds that either fell to the Bears, or eventually traded hands from Smoke Jaguar/Nova Cat/Combine to Ghost Bear control in their OZ/Dominion. The ones that were never part of an independent Rasalhague, but were some of Ghost Bear's earlier and most recent prizes. The ones that now have populations exhibiting pro-Combine sentiment and inflaming regional tensions.

Does the Alshain Military District mean nothing to Rasalhagians?

Outside of Alshain being a place of interest to younger Haakon Magnusson, the Alshain Military District was made up of 2/3rds leftover Combine border worlds from the two pro-Combine spinward Rasalhague Military District prefectures, and half of Buckminster prefecture from Benjamin District to make up the numbers. These are people who mostly weren't interested in joining an independent Rasalhague, and Rasalhague wasn't particularly interested in claiming them.

They mean a lot more to the Ghost Bears comparitively, because many are isorla from their greatest and most well-known victories, and early OZ strongholds.

These are the territories at stake.

Contrast that with the territory that the Horses are sitting on, which encompasses about a third of the former territory of the Free Rasalhague Republic, and recently, two founding worlds of the Principality, which were surrendered in polite trials between clans, rather than contested.

You've said yourself that the Dominion isn't just Rasalhague or faux Swedes; it's more like one of three regions in the Dominion, which have underlying tensions between them and their own regional interests.

In a war going badly, initiated by Ghost Bear elites, spending Rasalhagian lives and treasure to protect the Vega-Terra Corridor and faraway Ghost Bear conquests like Mualang, while the Bears leave everything anti-spinward of Rasalhague itself in the hands of the Horses, with the occasional friendly drag race between the two to interrupt the peace, there would be more than enough to stoke resentment over Rasalhagian nationalism versus Ghost Bear empire-building.

Failure in war will cut across factions in the Dominion.  Why would Motstand be special? Miraborg is a Rasalhagian, trained to be a Ghost Bear, ELECTED by everyone. He is a product of the system. The system the Rasalhagians forced into place in 3103. Plenty of blame to go around. While there are those in Motstand that may gain some support but the drivers aren't there for some kind of grand Rasalhagian revolution.

No one likes to lose, or be losing, a war. It cuts across societal lines, but not equally, or in a shared solidarity. People look to blame the decision-makers, which in this case would be the societal elite, which is the touman, and the Khan-like, Clan-oriented Miraborg. They can see the system fail them, bigtime. The system which is itself still a frankensteinian compromise, dominated by the touman, resembling a mere outgrowth of the warrior caste voting systems imposed by the Ghost Bears, rather than anything resembling native Rasalhagian democracy. No-one's going to share the blame around for defeat; victory has many parents, but defeat is an orphan, as they say.

Resentment, economic turmoil, regional tensions, human cost, military defeat, waning public confidence in the elite, and a perceived tyrant who represents them; these are all potential drivers that can come into play.

If anything the result would be some kind of nationalist dictatorship.

I'd be interested to ask you to walk me through your ideas on this, if it's not a bother, because I'm not sure on the more exact details of what you meant by it.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2023, 22:28:16 by Motpart »

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #585 on: 06 September 2023, 00:26:18 »
I'd be interested to ask you to walk me through your ideas on this, if it's not a bother, because I'm not sure on the more exact details of what you meant by it.
Sure.

Sure. While we can quibble on the details the Dominion is basically democratic. You get a selection of nobles and notables and you pick the ones you like.
The result of any revolution is not going to be democratic. Might wins.
A Rasalhagian revolution is inherently nationalistic. That is the point. Rasalhague for Rasalhagians. Hense the nationalist bit.
After achieving victory you just reintroduce democracy right? Yeah, I suppose if you are back to the core worlds around Rasalhague. But given the majority of the Dominion has been united for eighty years one imagines the revolutionaries would try for the whole thing.
Revolutions work by thirds. Congratulations. A third of the nation hates your guts. A different third of your nation isn't Rasalhagian in a nation founded on being Rasalhagian. Now your government will have to keep a lid on this. You are not doing this without restricting the vote and applying some violence.

Motpart

• Private
« Reply #586 on: 06 September 2023, 10:45:20 »
Thanks.

Sure. While we can quibble on the details the Dominion is basically democratic. You get a selection of nobles and notables and you pick the ones you like.

I can do more than quibble. 'Basically democratic' is a generous self-assessment that could only come from a clan-oriented perspective. You elect two Ghost Bear touman officers from the garrison to an enlarged Ghost Bear council and your civilian rep gets to tag along too. The Elected Prince? Clan-indoctrinated Ghost Bear touman officer.

From a Ghost Bear perspective, it's comparitively magnaminous.

From a Rasalhagian perspective, it's not even half-measures.

The result of any revolution is not going to be democratic. Might wins.

As opposed to the righteous might of Clan Ghost Bear? Are revolutions inherently bad things, from a moral and storytelling perspective, in a game and story universe centred around conflict, or only if they go against Ghost Bear interests?

A Rasalhagian revolution is inherently nationalistic. That is the point. Rasalhague for Rasalhagians. Hense the nationalist bit.

Understood. I felt like I had to ask you to clarify, because I see two nationalisms; Rasalhague civic nationalism and the Dominion's greater Pax Ursa, and I wanted to know which one you were referring to. I don't see why you're framing the former in such strictly pejorative terms; conjuring images of ethnic nationalist dictatorships of the '30s.

Perhaps a revolution would need to be necessarily led by a Rasalhagian Bonaparte for a time, in terms of having an identifiable traditional Battletech story character, and the outward face of provisional government. Was Mansdottir a would-be nationalist dictator?

After achieving victory you just reintroduce democracy right? Yeah, I suppose if you are back to the core worlds around Rasalhague. But given the majority of the Dominion has been united for eighty years one imagines the revolutionaries would try for the whole thing.

Empires have lasted longer and come apart faster.

How much of current Dominion territory would be seen as essential claims for a liberated Rasalhague state would be a very up-in-the air discussion, but I wouldn't see total control of Bear conquests as essential, especially if peace needs to be made or deals need to be brokered with say, the incoming Star League. Why expend yourself in a fight to take Ghost Bear prizes like Vega, Mualang and Ko if you can better secure Orestes, Rasalhague, Alshain, Trondheim? You're looking at this from a Ghost Bear perspective, imprinting CGB concerns onto Rasalhagian nationalists.

And yeah, reintroduce democracy in the Rasalhagian tradition, rather than the Bear tradition.

Revolutions work by thirds. Congratulations. A third of the nation hates your guts. A different third of your nation isn't Rasalhagian in a nation founded on being Rasalhagian. Now your government will have to keep a lid on this. You are not doing this without restricting the vote and applying some violence.

As opposed to Ghost Bears restricting the vote to suit their interests and applying some violence, while keeping a lid on Rasalhagian nationalism.

Does Rasalhague have to take on the strategic responsibilities of the Ghost Bear's empire? Leave Vega to the Bears, let the Combine-adjacent systems go if need be, make peace with the ilClan, the Combine, Tamar; focus on the threat of the Horses. Let Rasalhague as a faction focus on Rasalhagian interests, ambitiously, instead of just being involved in what's important to the Ghost Bears.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #587 on: 06 September 2023, 11:04:17 »
Maybe the Bears are up to go the way of the Kindraas?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #588 on: 06 September 2023, 11:14:32 »
Maybe the Bears are up to go the way of the Kindraas?

Don’t you put that curse on us !! Lol

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #589 on: 06 September 2023, 11:29:16 »
Does Rasalhague have to take on the strategic responsibilities of the Ghost Bear's empire? Leave Vega to the Bears, let the Combine-adjacent systems go if need be, make peace with the ilClan, the Combine, Tamar; focus on the threat of the Horses. Let Rasalhague as a faction focus on Rasalhagian interests, ambitiously, instead of just being involved in what's important to the Ghost Bears.

Rasalhague ambitious nationalism has only two possible outcomes

Happy one: Get absorbed by New Star League and fade into history after getting stomped if they try to resist

Unhappy one: Get stomped and then set on fire by Kuritans after they come back to reclaim what is rightfully theirs by the very standards you are applying

FRR was never anything more than ComStar puppet state created by swindling Lyrans and Combine in the era before truth about existence of ComGuards was revealed and Operation SCORPION was attempted (and as playground for Clan Invasion storyline writing IRL)

Had Kuritans knew about any of these they would never have even considered letting Rasalhague go other than in post-mortem condition

And without Ghost Bears Rasalhague is a D-tier military non-entity same as they always been, only thing that kept Kuritans away once ComStar fizzled out were Ghost Bears

Being Combine neighbor comes with certain set of limitations and certainties

As for democracy, republics, elections and all that low-key noblebrigh stuff, this is a setting about kings, tyrants, despots and warlords. Democracy has no place here. They tried with RotS decades ago and it sank like a brick because audience is not here for United Federation of Planets, they are here for Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans

It's just how the fictional universe works, giant stompy robots stomp puny humans, discussing morality of the stomping outside humor puts a damper on fun

Motpart

• Private
« Reply #590 on: 06 September 2023, 13:01:35 »

*snip*

You think I haven't heard this trite, mask-off, negging tirade of faction flaming, narrative conjecture, threats of extermination, Kuritans-Under-The Bed, insistence on clan dependence and demands for piety before?

Topped with an additional lecture on what people ought to find enjoyment in the game.

Going to ask you to wind your neck in, please. We're all here to talk about what we enjoy.

Rasalhague has plenty of levers to exploit, capture, confiscate and take advantage of, and potential allies, outside of Ghost Bear influence. The Kuritan boogeyman surrendered it's claims to Republic territory in 3034, and not even traditionalists are coming to collect; piecemeal Ghost Bear isorla gains are another matter.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #591 on: 06 September 2023, 17:02:56 »
It's just how the fictional universe works, giant stompy robots stomp puny humans, discussing morality of the stomping outside humor puts a damper on fun

If it's not a fun discussion for you, don't participate in it. But these forums have always had discussions about ethics and morality within the setting, and it's fun for plenty of us to talk about.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #592 on: 07 September 2023, 07:02:30 »
[snip]

Option 3, the Ghost Bear remnant culture gets fully absorbed after being shown to be trouble, the same with Rasalhague culture, TPTB have gone out of their way to show that it's now one culture taking aspects of both and i think book 2 about us will take that one step further and eventually morph the Ghost Bears into something akin to the "Old boys" group in the Fed Suns, where it doesn't really mean anything but it helps and Bear culture is just a military subculture the same as it would be for most civilizations.

Yes the FRR was a puppet state and Lyran-Combine cold war battle ground, possibly even there just to show how dangerous the Clans were without doing real damage to a real State, but that a long time ago now, things change and it's not 3025.

We don't know what the Kuritans would do, since it was Teddy Kurita, not exactly the most orthodox.

The only real thing keeping the Kuritan or Lyrans out were people wanting it to be 3025 always and forever where a banana in a cardboard cut out of a mech could defend a planet, and since you brought up the original plans, it wouldn't have been the Bears, it would have been the Wolves or Falcons keeping everyone out, since at least one TPTB have said the original plans were for the Falcons and Wolves to absorb all the other clans in their fight to become ilClan.

The limitations of being the combines neighbour is that that's the only faction we can fight, so that's either an eternity of stalemates, or we take turns on who wins and loses, and the last two stalemates didn't go down so well.

I seem to recall that the Marik fans exist and quite like their own brand of chaos, and lack of ability to do almost anything.

People have been discussing the moral, ethical, and decisions of fictional people in fictional universes since there was fiction, it's mostly what it was made to do, from Greek theater to Tolkeen getting 3am phone calls from people in the US asking about character choices.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #593 on: 07 September 2023, 08:12:54 »
**Mod Notice**

It says a lot about the devotion of Battletech fans that so many discussions about the fictional space politics of fictional space empires end up getting unnecessarily personal. In any case, please step back and take a breath, gang. If you can't engage in the thread without verbally punching each other, please reconsider why you're posting about the topic at all. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

AutumnEffect

• Corporal
« Reply #594 on: 08 September 2023, 22:53:54 »
I don't want to poke a hornets nest, but I do want to ask a question;

I'm a pretty new player and the only book I've read is DD and most of my knowledge comes from Sarna.
Is there any evidence that a noticeable portion of the Rasalhague Dominion wants to split into it's two constituent parts?

There's Motstånd, but I get the impression that they are viewed as murderous extremists by the vast majority of the Dominion after they killed hundreds of civilians.

Nothing in DD gave me the impression that there was a desire by anyone for the RD to split, so I'm just not sure why it would be in the cards for the future.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2023, 23:33:41 by AutumnEffect »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #595 on: 09 September 2023, 01:14:05 »
After digesting DD, I have to say that I'm starting to really like what the Bears have done with Rasalhague.  And it better not end! -- improvements can and probably should be made, but I don't want to see this fusion fissioned! 

I've always been a fan of the Clans in general, but up until recently the Bears to me were just kind of a Clan, no more or less.  Now I'm interested! 

Damn, I wish FASA had made a Ghost Bear Handbook like they did with the Falcons and Wolves.  I might have been a bigger fan all along!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2023, 01:17:18 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #596 on: 09 September 2023, 01:25:52 »
Why not combine both books, cut it a third and add family planned Parenthood to the remaing parts?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #597 on: 09 September 2023, 01:40:37 »
Isn't that kind of what Warriors of Kerensky was but on a larger scale?  Just kidding, but yeah, I would have bought a GB Handbook to go with the others.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

AutumnEffect

• Corporal
« Reply #598 on: 09 September 2023, 02:02:23 »
After digesting DD, I have to say that I'm starting to really like what the Bears have done with Rasalhague.  And it better not end! -- improvements can and probably should be made, but I don't want to see this fusion fissioned! 

Same. They definitely seem to be a unique and ongoing experiment in the universe.

I just don't see that experiment ending anytime soon. The conflict in DD was ideological, not demographic, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that any subsection of the Rasalhague Dominion has any interest in separating.
(Besides Motstånd terrorists that seem to be seen as irrelevant)
« Last Edit: 09 September 2023, 02:34:26 by AutumnEffect »

Motpart

• Private
« Reply #599 on: 09 September 2023, 11:34:52 »
I can offer an in-universe explanation/perspective:

Rasalhague has always had a strong, independently-minded, national identity, formed from refugees and immigrants from a Terra that failed them, and continued to exploit them afterward; they were vassalized by, allied to, and then united with, the Draconis Combine. Even the elites intermarried with, fought for, and eventually became the ruling Kuritan dynasty.

Over 700 years, as part of the Combine, they had good times and bad times, sometimes treated preferentially, sometimes treated unfairly, they were given cultural and political exceptions and concessions, but also given the spotlight for surveillance. Under the imperial aegis of the Combine, Rasalhague developed and expanded, culturally, economically, militarily, territorially. They were a powerful part of a powerful empire, and by and large, as in every empire, Rasalhagian people weren't ready to stick their necks out to rebel against that on a whim. Yet many were always deadset against the Combine, many were enthusiastic collaborators, but they retained that national identity throughout by fair means and foul, against attempts to suppress and subvert that identity in kind, by fair means and foul. Collaboration vs. Insurgency, the Velvet Glove vs. the Iron Fist.

Fast forward to the 4th Succession War and the rebel movements finally have their opportunity and take it, they take the majority of the former Rasalhague Military district from the Combine, and in a diplomatic coup, take the Rasalhagian portion of the Tamar Pact from the Lyrans as well, along with other systems that buy into this new, democratic, independent, civic-nationalist state. They've got their own state, their own rules and institutions, it's theirs, and no-one else is here to tell them what to do with it. They fiercely guard this state from 3034 through to the 3070's.

Fast forward again to the 3060's, and the Ghost Bear Dominion is declared by CGB, who have moved in to colonise their population and build an empire in the territories they've taken from Rasalhague since the invasion of 3050; they have plenty of ideas of what to do to refashion Rasalhague in the image of the clans, by fair means and foul. The people of the Free Rasalhague Republic who have resisted for so long, who even balked against perceived influence from secular Comstar allies, are forced into an impossible situation when they find their allies smashed by the FedCom civil war, and are invaded during an intervention against the Word of Blake during the Jihad. They are forced to agree to vassalisation, and eventual annexation, into the Dominion.

Just like with the Combine conquest, the cycle begins again, as a part of the Dominion, which has recently expanded rapidly as an empire to include non-Rasalhague territories, while Rasalhagian Core, and Rasalhagian-Lyran territories are left in the hands of clan allies, the Horses and the Wolves. Rasalhague is again split between empires, and finds itself as one region of another larger empire.

They have good times and bad times, etc. etc. again. Under the imperial aegis of the Dominion, Rasalhague develops and expands etc. etc. again, with access to Clantech. It's the Combine: This Time It's Bears. They are a powerful part of a powerful empire, and by and large, as in every empire, Rasalhagian people aren't ready to stick their necks out to rebel against that on a whim. Yet many are always deadset against the Bears, many are enthusiastic collaborators, etc. etc. Collaboration vs. Insurgency, the Velvet Glove vs. the Iron Fist.

It's the same cycle, and whilst you can't poll a population on whether or not they'd join a revolution tomorrow, or predict when a revolutionary moment of impetus may occur, political violence begets further political violence, which for now has been temporarily stifled in the Dominion by an aggressive war, and could take a different and more subversive turn if the war brings material and human costs which Rasalhagians aren't willing to bear on the Ghost Bear elites' behalf.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2023, 11:48:51 by Motpart »

Register