Author Topic: Augmented Lances and Related Force Configurations  (Read 4005 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Augmented Lances and Related Force Configurations
« Reply #30 on: 25 April 2023, 16:57:04 »
Not really that big.  A standard mech battalion with command lance has 13 lances and 40 mechs, vice 14.5 lances and 26 mechs for Paget’s Dragoons. 
A Standard Mech Battalion has 9 Lances not 12.   +1 Command = 10.   40 Mechs correct.    28 Mechs for Pagets
So you sacrificed 12 Mechs for 22 Vees & 8 BA Squads.
An extra 18 "units"
By Tonnage maybe its more/less, but my point was # of units.

Fewer mechs but bigger companies, battalions, or regiments when combat vehicles and BA are counted.
I don't see the units as bigger.
I see them as managing to bring all those Regiments back on line from no where in FM:CC v/s the left overs of the 4th SW.

Yeah, I could see the clear "focus" for each company. 
Definitely a unit that is stronger at Battalion level than single companies would be alone. 
Worthy of one of those Faction bonuses where its initiative based on # of units.
"Paget's gets a +1 to Initiative if 20+ Units are on the board, but take a -1 Initiative when operating 12 or less units"... kind of thing.
&/or   The Command Lance adds an additional +1 Initiative bonus when on the field but the they suffer a -2 penalty if the CO is destroyed.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #31 on: 25 April 2023, 20:54:35 »
So you sacrificed 12 Mechs for 22 Vees & 8 BA Squads.

If it takes two vehicles to match one mech, then that’s about right.

I don't see the units as bigger.
I see them as managing to bring all those Regiments back on line from no where in FM:CC v/s the left overs of the 4th SW.

Cappie regiments reconstituted with augmented lances will have to have more total units if they’re going to match up against a pure mech regiment.

Transport is another issue...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #32 on: 25 April 2023, 22:07:26 »
Alright, so quick relevant hijack;

Is a Capellan Auglance equal to one regular lance or one and a half regular lances, when it comes to forming a company?

The former would be 8 mechs 4 other units, and the latter would be 12 mechs and 6 other units, so I'm unsure about what it would be considered.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 25 April 2023, 23:14:56 »
Typically it's two augmented lances per company, so you're back to the 12 unit paradigm.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 25 April 2023, 23:53:49 »
From Sarna via FM:3085

Augmented Battalion
This formation is used by the CCAF and consisted of four companies of two augmented lances each and a command lance.

The most commonly used augmented lance in these battalions consisted of four 'Mechs and a pair of conventional tanks. The four companies provided thirty-two 'Mechs and the command lance added four more. This gave the augmented battalion the same firepower as a standard battalion, but included sixteen armored vehicles for additional fire support.

4 companies of 2 augmented lances
One battalion command lance
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2023, 15:13:01 »
From Sarna via FM:3085

4 companies of 2 augmented lances
One battalion command lance

That's exactly how I built my Thuggee Warrior House, using the FM3085 and FM3145 guidelines and using augmented lances as much as I could: 2 Mech battalions consisting of 4 companies of two augmented lances each, and 2 infantry battalions consisting of 4 companies of two augmented lances each, with an augmented command lance for each battalion.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #36 on: 26 April 2023, 15:23:17 »
Interesting, it seems the Command Lance isn't Augmented in that formation.

And it's all the 4M/2V for the 4 companies.
Well, at least "most common" anyway.

Didn't realize 4 co was the norm for a full Aug Bat.

I kind of like the Pagents above better, more combined arms.
Not so cheesy of flat out saying you have 36 mechs still AND an extra 4 Tank Platoons.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2023, 15:18:47 »
Looks like the Paget's Dragoons is missing their Air Lances of Triples.

Would these be attached or separate groupings?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register