Poll

A classic, who would be more likely to win between a TBT-5J Trebuchet and a base Enforcer?

Trebuchet: strictly superior >65% winrate
3 (6.3%)
Trebuchet: marginally superior >55-65% winrate
5 (10.4%)
About even 45-55% each
6 (12.5%)
Enforcer: marginally superior >55-65% winrate
21 (43.8%)
Enforcer: strictly superior >65% winrate
7 (14.6%)
I want to be an observer (Abstain)
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Fight Night! TBT-5J vs ENF-4R  (Read 3430 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Fight Night! TBT-5J vs ENF-4R
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2023, 18:47:15 »
Fair on the torso mount, though that's not clear from the Sarna article.  With rolling map boards jumping one turn and backing up the next should get you 11s for a 4 gunner (the other turns being running away to open the distance).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2023, 19:02:18 »
And you've still only got 8 shots.  So it's very likely that even if you can pull this off without any issues (which requires an unlimited map with no terrain), you're going to run out of ammo before you actually manage to score a hit, at which point you'll have to turn around and engage with your medium lasers vs the Enforcer's large laser and AC 10.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2023, 19:50:55 »
I thought it kept both tons of ammo? ???

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2023, 20:09:44 »
The record sheet (at least from Record Sheets: 3039) only lists 1 ton of ammo.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2023, 20:22:42 »
The record sheet (at least from Record Sheets: 3039) only lists 1 ton of ammo.
Correct.
That is why both you and I earlier stated that it has 8 shots of LRMs .

After those 8 LRM shots the Enforcer has a large laser that can fire until it is disabled and an
AC/10 with 10 rounds .
That's a significant range advantage against 3 medium lasers behind light armor and why I give this
matchup to the Enforcer most of the time .

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2023, 20:24:08 »
Yeah, same.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2023, 17:37:28 »
I stand corrected, and a little surprised TPTB tuned it down so much.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #37 on: 17 May 2023, 17:50:57 »
It's got five jump jets, five additional heatsinks, and extra armor compared to the stock Treb.  It's not like it's a bad mech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2023, 18:14:34 »
The HS are a bit excessive.  You only need 14 after the ammo runs out.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2023, 19:54:21 »
Correct.
That is why both you and I earlier stated that it has 8 shots of LRMs .

After those 8 LRM shots the Enforcer has a large laser that can fire until it is disabled and an
AC/10 with 10 rounds .
That's a significant range advantage against 3 medium lasers behind light armor and why I give this
matchup to the Enforcer most of the time .

8 Tons v/s 9 Tons of armor isn't a massive advantage.
The Speed advantage on of the Treb is well worth that 1 ton of armor.
The Treb only needs to hit w/ 2 LRM salvos to negate that ton while outside the range of AC/LL fire.

The LL/AC10 are a great combo, but in a slower machine, its only going to take a couple bad initiative rolls or terrain limitations to let the Treb also be in close range where the 3 MLs will shine.
The Enforcer can't afford the heat from all its weapons while moving.
Meanwhile those 14 SHS allow the Treb to max jump & alpha the 3 MLs every single turn.
Or if it can manage a walk into range 6 it can alpha the entire array w/ any remaining LRMs from closing distance & put out more firepower than the Enforcer can match.  (24 v/s 18)

And god help the Enforcer if the Treb ever gets back shots on it w/ those 3 MLs.  IIRC its any single hit will open up the back for Engine/Gyro/Ammo damage.

It has free reign to Park at Long while the Enforcer has to close. (Shots on 9-10's)
It can also Walk for a turn or 2 while the Enforcer is at Long & it is at Medium (11-14 hexes).  (Shots on 8's)
Barring horrible luck, its going to connect w/ LRMs before the AC/LL ever get a shot off.

Once the Enforcer is at Medium (10) its stuck moving back at 4 hexes Jump/Walk while the Treb can move up 8 per turn.
Its going to get a total of 2 turns of fire at Medium Range against a +3 Treb before they are in knife fighting range where it will then come down to initiative to see if the Treb gets into the Rear of the Enforcer or is back out at LRM range for the last salvo or 2 while the Enforcer seeks S/M range brackets.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2023, 12:27:49 »
If the terrain is any kind of clear, 5/8/5 should allow the Treb to kite the Enforcer until it runs out of ammo.

With 8 shots? I don't think so. The 5J has 1 ton of LRM ammo and it no longer has the Arm mounted LRM-5.  AS others said, 5/8/5 could only kite if the terrain was heavy. Even in a modestly open map the Enforcer could run to catch a jumping Trebby, otherwise the trebby has to turn it's back. That's a bad idea. 

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2023, 15:16:59 »
With 8 shots? I don't think so. The 5J has 1 ton of LRM ammo and it no longer has the Arm mounted LRM-5.  AS others said, 5/8/5 could only kite if the terrain was heavy. Even in a modestly open map the Enforcer could run to catch a jumping Trebby, otherwise the trebby has to turn it's back. That's a bad idea.

And once its LRM is out of ammo, it needs to close well inside the Enforcer's guns in order to do any Damage.  And odds are, that Autocannon will do more damage, over all, than that LRM.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2023, 16:46:08 »
Meh, my estimate is the AC still has ammo when the fight is over (whichever way it goes).

The LRM has the option of shooting whenever it wants as often as it wants.
The AC has to be balanced against movement/heat each turn.

Likely the AC doesn't even get 10 chances at good TH#s before the fight ends.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2023, 18:26:16 »
With only 8 shots, it should be easy to kite until it runs out of ammo...  ^-^