Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 18727 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #390 on: 23 May 2024, 09:02:16 »
Good hire for Jersey.  I suspect the Devils will be back in playoffs next year

If they figure out a real option in net, I could see it. That's a good roster everywhere else. But... man, that goaltending was heinous this year, and really wasn't all that great the year prior if we're honest. Vitek Vanacek's trade to the Sharks was addition by subtraction- the less you have to lean on someone like that, the better. (I will never understand the love Capitals fans seem to still have for him)

If they can go shopping for a real net option this summer, that'll be huge for them, far beyond coaching needs. I'm not even talking a trade for Ulmark- the price would be huge for that, and strengthening another East team like Boston wouldn't be helpful for the Devils (or the Bruins, for that matter, sending Ulmark to a potential playoff opponent!). But a reasonable guy who can stop a puck once in a while- see if the Capitals are willing to part with Darcy Kuemper, for example (one year left on his deal and clearly the backup now, might be a reasonably cheap option), see if the Ducks are finally willing to make a realistic Gibson deal, etc., they could start making some real noise in the East again. But when you're constantly looking over your shoulder wondering if your goalie can have a good night and only let in four goals instead of five...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #391 on: 23 May 2024, 17:44:22 »
Hmmmm...

Bertuzzi is the rumbling locally.  Would Yzerman really bring the Holland-picked forward back into the fold?  And at what cost and term?

He did do his best work right here in LCA.  Let's see what actually happens.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #392 on: 23 May 2024, 23:04:04 »
If they figure out a real option in net, I could see it. That's a good roster everywhere else. But... man, that goaltending was heinous this year, and really wasn't all that great the year prior if we're honest. Vitek Vanacek's trade to the Sharks was addition by subtraction- the less you have to lean on someone like that, the better. (I will never understand the love Capitals fans seem to still have for him)
I don't think that was entirely all on Vanacek.  NJ had a fair share of injuries to multiple key players.  Vanacek's poor post season in NJ (and one could say prior post seasons) made him easily disposable.

IMO the value in Vanacek as a Capital were:

1) his salary vs. performance.  He wasn't exactly league minimum, but he was salary controlled for the forseeable future which allowed one to look past his short commings.  At least for the regular season.

2) He wasn't Ilya Samsonov.  Samsonov was/is a better goalie with a higher upside.  However the items that in hindsight earned him no support from the fans are distant memories and from the team's perspective he was a discipline problem.

He got busted for violating COVID protocol during the bubble (along with more notable names from the team) which in turn resulted in the Caps being fined for it.  He got in an ATV accident.               And in his last season with the Caps he was late to a team function in the weeks leading up to the post season.

Granted not all fans are hockey smart or salary cap generals however one would figure they would have kept one of either Samsonov or Vanacek.  It just kinda the way the NHL rolls traditionally when you have a player with a low cap hit.  You make the qualifying offer and move on from there. 

With the results of this season I can't complain to much.  Lindgren was better than either of them this season which I suppose in the short term is good.  Longer term had they made the qaulifying offer(s) they could have had the same results for potentially less salary.  It's a small difference to be certain but the Caps haven't had all that much salary cap space.

If they can go shopping for a real net option this summer, that'll be huge for them, far beyond coaching needs. I'm not even talking a trade for Ulmark- the price would be huge for that, and strengthening another East team like Boston wouldn't be helpful for the Devils (or the Bruins, for that matter, sending Ulmark to a potential playoff opponent!). But a reasonable guy who can stop a puck once in a while- see if the Capitals are willing to part with Darcy Kuemper, for example (one year left on his deal and clearly the backup now, might be a reasonably cheap option), see if the Ducks are finally willing to make a realistic Gibson deal, etc., they could start making some real noise in the East again. But when you're constantly looking over your shoulder wondering if your goalie can have a good night and only let in four goals instead of five...

My belief is that anyone that is trading for Ulmark before the start of the season and doesn't have an extension lined up is going to make a rather foolish trade.  If I were Boston I wouldn't care if he gets traded outside the division and would still be in the same conference.  A healthy NJ teams this year makes the playoffs and probably not as a wildcard team.

The Caps and Kuempar I always thought were a bad match.  I'm reasonably certain they were looking to trade him at the deadline and couldn't get the value back they wanted for him.

I don't know what he actually still brings to the table, but if you offered me another depreciating asset(s), I'd be willing to take it in return.  Or give me some middle draft pick(s) and he could be yours. I don't even care if they don't mature for 2 years at this point. If part of his salary comes off the books and it makes way for someone else I'm fine with it.

Gibson is the wild card, however his preformance over the last few years is well below the numbers he put up earlier in his career.  His contract is still a decent and affordable one, but he's years removed from having a good solid year and has been injured.

The UFA class this year isn't a great one.  If I'm Jersey and I can't trade and sign someone for term I'd look at signing someone like Anthony Stolarz (assuming they let Kahkonen walk) for 2-3 years and then make a pitch for a long term solution next off season where Saros and Shesterkin will both be UFAs.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #393 on: 24 May 2024, 10:56:59 »
For me, Gibson is a low risk/high reward gamble worth taking- his past couple of years have sucked, for sure, but he's also getting absolutely shelled most nights- I'd struggle to see Swayman or Shesterkin thrive if you dropped them into that Ducks team. A change of scenery might be just the thing to get him going again- and if not, the gamble was at least worth it. The Ducks likely won't be asking as much as they were a couple of years ago (they were insane to make the demands they were at that point).

Kuemper... I don't really know what the Caps were thinking there. Kuemper was a decent goalie who dropped into the Colorado system and won a Cup- and like Grubauer before him and Georgiev after, he struggled before going there, thrived, then left and struggled again (Georgiev got a jump-start on that last part). I don't know if the Caps looked at his shiny new ring and thought he'd reached stardom, or if they were counting on someone else making trade offers for that same reason, but it was always a surprising fit. What no one saw coming in the arrangement was the emergence of an actual, bonafide star in Charlie Lindgren to boot Kuemper from the starting job. Where that leaves Kuemper and the Caps- a struggling goalie two years removed from that Cup, now an expensive-ish backup on a team with no real playoff aspirations for the next few years as they rebuild- is hard to say. One year left on his deal, at least.

I'm making peace, meanwhile with the idea that between Ulmark's desire to remain in the East for family reasons, the NTC allowing him to refuse distant trades, and the Bruins not wanting him to go to a rival team, we may have to squat on him this coming season and continue the current tandem. It's a lot of money tied up in the net, particularly since Swayman is likely to get Paid with a capital 'P' this summer, but with one year left on the Ulmark deal, at least it's just one more year and they can just let him walk after that. That means he could SIGN with another Eastern team for no gain, so that sucks, but trading him somewhere right now means one year and he could walk from there anyway. It's a weird situation for Boston to be in, but eating one year of too-much-money-in-net is okay, I suppose, particularly as they do a retooling year. (I do not expect Jake DeBrusk to return, so the cap hit is a little easier to swallow.)

Meanwhile, in actual on-ice news, I stayed up WAY too late last night for the end of Oilers/Stars.  :blank:

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #394 on: 26 May 2024, 20:43:11 »
...the one where NYR went into muggy south Florida and stole a playoff game on the road to make the Eastern Conference Finals 2 to 1 in the Ranger's favor.

(I consider both of these teams to be stealing when it comes to beating the other on the road right now.)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2024, 21:21:55 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #395 on: 27 May 2024, 22:12:58 »
All those who were rooting for Dallas who turned it off at 2-0, you missed a good one.   :drinking01:
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #396 on: 27 May 2024, 22:53:20 »
Hat Trick this time of year is one of those marks/details needed for a legendary post season.  Amazed that Edmonton took one, to be sure.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #397 on: 28 May 2024, 08:17:46 »
We as a hockey society aren't talking enough about Jason Robertson. Or Roope Hintz, for that matter.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #398 on: 29 May 2024, 22:16:13 »
The Oilers are ignoring the script.  They're supposed to be screwed when the experimental myomer turns into mint jelly after it's exposed to adversity.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #399 on: 29 May 2024, 22:37:58 »
The Oilers are ignoring the script.  They're supposed to be screwed when the experimental myomer turns into mint jelly after it's exposed to adversity.

Chris Knoblauch is secretly a Wobbie who provided them with the improved myomer formulation donchaknow :grin:
But certain players have to heat up for it to work.
 :cheesy:

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #400 on: 30 May 2024, 05:22:09 »
2-0 Stars five minutes in, and that crowd in Edmonton was looking miserable.

If Dallas doesn't win this series, they're going to look back on that as the reason. If you go up by two that early, you don't let a team with that much firepower (and that shaky goaltending) back into a game. 5-2 Oilers, and that's just not acceptable from the Stars.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #401 on: 30 May 2024, 13:11:01 »
We as a hockey society aren't talking enough about Jason Robertson. Or Roope Hintz, for that matter.

Dallas has a solid core built to win this season.  You definitely wouldn't think that after last night's game though.  Both teams have been in the conference finals over the past few years.  One of these teams is sadly going to be eliminated.

Edmonton is the inferior team when looking at them from top to bottom.  If you can shut down their top heavy offense the chances are pretty good that Dallas is going to carry.  I have no doubt Dallas is going to come out fired up for game 5.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #402 on: 31 May 2024, 00:40:11 »
Florida whooped on the Rangers by about 10 in the turnover department, but the score of game five did not reflect this due to the heroics of Shesterkin even in this loss, giving his team every chance to hang in there.

Florida Kitties take a 3-2 series lead.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #403 on: 31 May 2024, 07:51:11 »
Take it from a goalie- there is nothing more frustrating than playing a god-tier game and seeing everyone else in your colors taking a night off. You want to start fighting your own teammates after a while, whatever will finally wake them up and get them moving.

Well, okay, even more frustrating is when I'M the one having the off night, I suppose. But still.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #404 on: 31 May 2024, 13:14:50 »
I'm still riding the NYR horse, but they gave that one away.  If they win two in a row I still think they'll win the Cup.  Chances are vanishing fast.

But if they were @$#%*! serious, they would have won last night.  Shesterkin deserved better.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #405 on: 31 May 2024, 17:01:25 »
I am a firm believer that if the Rangers are going to force a game 7 they have to win game 6 in regulation.

Shesterkin is the reason they have two wins in this series.  The offense has to together a dominant performance if they are going to win the next two games.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #406 on: 31 May 2024, 22:19:40 »
Edmonton is the inferior team when looking at them from top to bottom.  If you can shut down their top heavy offense the chances are pretty good that Dallas is going to carry.  I have no doubt Dallas is going to come out fired up for game 5.

Have y'all considered the possibility that maybe, just MAYBE, the Oilers are better *as a team* than you think?
(Note that I didn't say "better than the Stars"--just that the gap between them isn't as wide as some here seem to think)

Another display of sound team defense from unexpected sources.

Back to Edmonton and the Stars on the brink.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #407 on: 31 May 2024, 22:22:22 »
I am a firm believer that if the Rangers are going to force a game 7 they have to win game 6 in regulation.

Shesterkin is the reason they have two wins in this series.  The offense has to together a dominant performance if they are going to win the next two games.

Remember what I said about the team that wins the Cup being the one that's less beat-up and exhausted going into the Finals?

Word on the street is the Rags are already at that point.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #408 on: 31 May 2024, 23:34:56 »
Have y'all considered the possibility that maybe, just MAYBE, the Oilers are better *as a team* than you think?
(Note that I didn't say "better than the Stars"--just that the gap between them isn't as wide as some here seem to think)

Another display of sound team defense from unexpected sources.

Back to Edmonton and the Stars on the brink.

cheers,

Gabe

Well, for one thing, the Oilers outperformed the Leafs, and are definitely in better shape as a team.  They rule Canada for the moment.

And look at that...  Now that crazy Edmonton hockey team is up 3 games to 2 over the vaunted Stars.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #409 on: 01 June 2024, 22:10:36 »
Man, was that a frustrating game to watch.  Even more to play in if you were a Ranger.
It was basically done by the middle of the second.  The Rags just couldn't counter the Cats' swarming the puck carrier, and couldn't win the board battles when they tried dump-and-chase.  They were done and the players knew it.  The curse finally caught up with them.

And the thing is, I don't see the finals going any differently.  Whether it's the Oilers or the Stars, the Cats will use the same game plan, and it's going to work.

Cheers,

Gabe

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #410 on: 01 June 2024, 23:03:04 »
The President's Trophy claims another victim.

Third time's a charm, Cats are losing their virginity this year.
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #411 on: 02 June 2024, 12:17:00 »
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final is scheduled for Saturday, June 8. If the Stars lose tonight we're in for quite a layoff.
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #412 on: 02 June 2024, 13:56:48 »
RIP to the Rangers.  And onward with the show. 

Everything's so screwed up now, I think I'll root for the Oilers to win the Cup, because why not?  This year went sideways for all my other ideas.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #413 on: 02 June 2024, 17:15:25 »
I got one finalist correct.  Shortly we will see if Dallas can rebound and force a game 7 or if Edmonton continues to do their best imitation of Dallas and punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #414 on: 02 June 2024, 21:41:28 »
Edmonton v. Florida.

I’m calling Florida but won’t be too heartbroken if Edmonton finally gets one for Canada.

Edmonton really looked good against Dallas, though.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #415 on: 02 June 2024, 21:58:54 »
I got one finalist correct.  Shortly we will see if Dallas can rebound and force a game 7 or if Edmonton continues to do their best imitation of Dallas and punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup.

Umm...WTF was that???

Perhaps the most one-sided losing effort ever in a deciding conference final game?

Well, the Oilers did what most said they couldn't do against the Stars.  But they shouldn't have done it...not like THAT, anyway.

So...here we are, down to the Cup final series.  Bring on the Cats, who I'm sure were taking notes on tonight's game...and know just what they have to do now.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #416 on: 02 June 2024, 22:47:57 »
I'll be rooting for the Oilers, but I'm not exactly rooting against Florida, either.

This is a very good young Panthers team that plays a true team game.  In the opposing corner is the formidable offensive capabilities and surprising defense of the Oilers.

I just want to see a good series and I'm not going to get bent out of shape about who wins or loses. 

Edit: Damnit, gut is telling me Florida in 6, Bob wins Conn Smythe.  But I'm still rooting for Edmonton lol.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2024, 12:26:24 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #417 on: 05 June 2024, 22:57:47 »
This should be a pretty solid final if the WCF were any indicator.  I'm picking the Panthers in 6 because of the rub of being in the final last year.  However if Edmonton can repeat the same forumla that catapulted them to win the WCF then it's absolutly possible they take home the cup.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #418 on: 06 June 2024, 09:39:04 »
This should be a pretty solid final if the WCF were any indicator.  I'm picking the Panthers in 6 because of the rub of being in the final last year.  However if Edmonton can repeat the same forumla that catapulted them to win the WCF then it's absolutly possible they take home the cup.

I'm not sure that formula will work for the Oilers again against the Cats.  The thing is, the Oilers aren't a particularly mean and nasty team, and didn't really face one on their way to the Finals--the Canucks came closest, but Florida is a whole other level.  With the likes of Tkachuk and Bennett--two former Flames, no less, who will bring that Battle of Alberta nastiness--and that stifling, choking style they play up and down the lineup, hounding the puck carrier and cutting off not only forward momentum but also most passing options, it's really difficult to see how the Oilers can pull this off.  Yes, they had that surprising team defense against the Stars, but it's something they have to play almost by necessity because of their own weaknesses on defense and in goal. And as the ECF showed, the team that has to spend so much time defending not only gets fewer chances of their own, but gets ground down faster. 

I would definitely prefer the Oilers to win it all, but I think this series is going to look a lot like the Habs vs. the Bolts in 2021.
Cats in 5.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #419 on: 06 June 2024, 15:24:58 »
It feels inexorable. 

And I do like the Florida Panthers, glad to see them get this far and wish them luck.  They really won't need luck, just stay on their game.

But the Oilers have proven that they can defy the odds, so it really should be an interesting series.

Register