Poll

What would be your preferred RAF Successor?

A Star League Regular Army guarding Terran Zone
10 (24.4%)
A Mercenary Brigade - ala the ELH
6 (14.6%)
A rump state in exile
11 (26.8%)
An FWL mini-state like the Augustine Alliance
6 (14.6%)
A FS March state, like a Republic March
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread  (Read 85537 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread
« Reply #1140 on: 07 December 2023, 13:44:28 »
before you mock Canada too much in a Battletech context you miiiiiiiiiiiiight wanna research where James McKenna was from :D
He can afford a spacesuit for his Moose.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1141 on: 07 December 2023, 14:23:25 »
How did the US become more Canadian? I musta missed that

Jihad Hot Spots: Terra page 156:

"One Terran ethnographer recently noted "Americans have turned into Canadians". The Battletech current US Americans show less jingoism and social conservatism then the 20th and 22nd Americans they idolize

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #1142 on: 07 December 2023, 15:20:57 »
Because Canadians are just liberal Americans :rolleyes:
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1143 on: 07 December 2023, 17:45:26 »
Because Canadians are just liberal Americans :rolleyes:

And let's not go too far in that almost and somewhat political direction! Although I kind of like the idea of Moose Mounted Infantry. Particularly if there ridden by Dudly Doorite styled troopers!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1144 on: 07 December 2023, 21:01:05 »
And let's not go too far in that almost and somewhat political direction! Although I kind of like the idea of Moose Mounted Infantry. Particularly if there ridden by Dudly Doorite styled troopers!

Please someone submit this to Shrapnel

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1145 on: 08 December 2023, 05:43:10 »

Now we know how the Outworlds Alliance got the idea for their Tariq mounted infantry

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1146 on: 08 December 2023, 13:33:03 »
You know, a book about RAFers following the fall of Terra who are trying to get to their families having to go through several hostile states to get to their home planets would be a pretty cool one-off novel. Just an homage to the Odyssey, with lots of pontification on the highs and lows of the Republic and its ideals, as soldiers question their pre-disposed loyalty to the ROTS.
Clan Protectorate

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • Duke-in-Exile of Tamar and Skye
« Reply #1147 on: 08 December 2023, 21:36:34 »
Wasn't Terra already "greened" when the old Alliance was in control? Or did that only come when the Hegemony took over? I think there are not a lot of information but the books often tell that the Terran goverment repaired the damages that the early industrilization caused to Terra but they never mentioned HOW. Simply planting new trees is probably not enough. I could see the Hegemony using perhaps simple weather control tech but most likely nothing heavy like the Storminhibitors on Bryant or sun shades on Venus.

JHS: Terra attributes it to a continual effort that runs from the Alliance to ComStar.

"You went from annoying the writers so badly that they killed Caesar Steiner just to spite you, to becoming one of them." -3rdCrucisLancers

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1148 on: 12 December 2023, 13:14:59 »
Galatean League, if it still exists

I know this is a bit of necromancy, but I just noticed a tidbit in Shrapnel 11 that’s relevant to this question: Galatea is mentioned as being a part of the Isle of Skye now in the Voices of the Sphere article. Looks like the Galatean League is done for.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1149 on: 12 December 2023, 13:37:54 »
Doesn't surprise me. Weren't Hansen's Roughriders pretty much the core of the GDL? (Not to be confused with the GDL) With them off fighting on Terra, I'm not sure if there would have been enough left to keep a cohesive fighting force.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1150 on: 12 December 2023, 13:53:24 »
Doesn't surprise me. Weren't Hansen's Roughriders pretty much the core of the GDL? (Not to be confused with the GDL) With them off fighting on Terra, I'm not sure if there would have been enough left to keep a cohesive fighting force.

Yeah. On Terra and they didn’t go back after either. Currently rebuilding based out of Tybalt IIRC.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1151 on: 12 December 2023, 15:34:50 »
I know this is a bit of necromancy, but I just noticed a tidbit in Shrapnel 11 that’s relevant to this question: Galatea is mentioned as being a part of the Isle of Skye now in the Voices of the Sphere article. Looks like the Galatean League is done for.

But to which realm does the Isle of skye now belong to? The Wolf Empire? Or have they become independent again? Tamar Rising had no mention of Skye if I remember correctly.
Or did the Lyrans finally decide to retake some more territory?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1152 on: 12 December 2023, 15:40:26 »
But to which realm does the Isle of skye now belong to? The Wolf Empire? Or have they become independent again? Tamar Rising had no mention of Skye if I remember correctly.
Or did the Lyrans finally decide to retake some more territory?

As far as we know, it’s an independent realm. It’s on one of the maps in Dominions Divided (barely, but it’s there) as its own political entity.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1153 on: 12 December 2023, 19:19:46 »
My impression is that with the exception of those worlds conquered by a major power as part of their route to Terra, right now the former Prefecture X is pretty much a mass of suddenly independent worlds that haven't even had time to turn into a Chaos March or Hinterland yet. Is this correct?
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1154 on: 12 December 2023, 19:27:04 »
My impression is that with the exception of those worlds conquered by a major power as part of their route to Terra, right now the former Prefecture X is pretty much a mass of suddenly independent worlds that haven't even had time to turn into a Chaos March or Hinterland yet. Is this correct?

Honestly, I think the “conquered by other nations” worlds in Prefecture X far outstrip the “newly independent” worlds. The CapCon, Combine and Wolf Empire seem to have gobbled up almost all of them. The only ones that appear free are the worlds around Muphrid, Zollikofen and likely Thorin.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2023, 19:28:41 by tassa_kay »

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1155 on: 12 December 2023, 19:31:44 »
Really? I was just thinking about the description of Seychelle's Stonehearts, who apparently have been doing brisk business in the worlds around Terra ever since the Trial.
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1156 on: 12 December 2023, 19:35:35 »
Really? I was just thinking about the description of Seychelle's Stonehearts, who apparently have been doing brisk business in the worlds around Terra ever since the Trial.

Maybe/hopefully IKEO will clear this up, but that’s what I was able to piece together between Shattered Fortress, ilClan, Dominions Divided and Empire Alone.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1157 on: 12 December 2023, 19:57:21 »
So many of my preferred factions are holding their breath for IKEO... :cheesy:
My wife writes books

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1158 on: 13 December 2023, 02:47:09 »
To be honest I am kind of suprised that the Prefecture X worlds the Wolves took are actually staying "Wolf". From what I understand is that the Wolves didn't even leave a token garrison after defeating whatever RAF unit was stationed there. I am kind of expecting IKEO to state that said planets have been gobbled up by the CCAF as a way to cut of Terra from a secure supply line

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1159 on: 13 December 2023, 09:33:47 »
 Multiple major powers are eating Wolf worlds alive, if they are staying Wolf, it is a temporary state of affairs.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1160 on: 13 December 2023, 14:06:05 »

I mean… as a Bear same lol

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1161 on: 13 December 2023, 18:01:47 »
Everytime I read those initials for the book, I keep thinking of IKEA.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1162 on: 13 December 2023, 18:50:37 »
Everytime I read those initials for the book, I keep thinking of IKEA.

Flatpack is the future of tabletop warfare! Coming soon from Sweden!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #1163 on: 13 December 2023, 20:39:42 »

Now that Legends II is finished, I've started work on it. I had the team kickoff over the weekend, so IKEO is officially WIP.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1164 on: 13 December 2023, 20:43:30 »
Hopefully Legends II is a little more polished than the first. I’m still disappointed that the artwork for Malvina Hazen’s Shrike was so completely wrong (wrong paint scheme, wrong weapons loadout). But the fact that Legends II is even coming is enough to get me excited.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #1165 on: 13 December 2023, 21:10:51 »
Hopefully Legends II is a little more polished than the first. I’m still disappointed that the artwork for Malvina Hazen’s Shrike was so completely wrong (wrong paint scheme, wrong weapons loadout).

Well all of the artwork just showed stock/primary config weapons loadouts, didn't it? Because they didn't make any changes to the existing 3d models. Same deal with Kerensky's Orion. There's a standard Orion weapon loadout listed and the art is the standard ON1-K even though we already had a record sheet for his custom variant with the snub PPC and gauss rifle. (Although the writeup then describes that version.)

Edit: well I just noticed Shin Yodama's Phoenix Hawk has his custom loadout listed in the specs so I was wrong about there being consistency on whether the specs were always stock. But the artwork is definitely all stock. I imagine it just wasn't feasible to customize the geometry instead of painting over the existing models.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2023, 21:17:00 by Middcore »
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1166 on: 13 December 2023, 23:51:15 »
Be that as it may, I would still expect an art book, especially one that specifically showcases the Mechs of notable characters and advertises the camo specs of those Mechs on its back cover, to get the art right.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1167 on: 14 December 2023, 08:07:07 »
Where is her mech's paint scheme described, and does it still force us to try and paint a ludicrously detailed bird over a chest with extremely deep details?
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1168 on: 14 December 2023, 11:39:43 »
Where is her mech's paint scheme described, and does it still force us to try and paint a ludicrously detailed bird over a chest with extremely deep details?

In both Flight of the Falcon and A Rending of Falcons, and no, LOL. Franz Vohwinkel also did an accurate job of it for the German cover of the former.

Emperor Ediger

• Recruit
« Reply #1169 on: 14 December 2023, 17:03:29 »
In both Flight of the Falcon and A Rending of Falcons, and no, LOL. Franz Vohwinkel also did an accurate job of it for the German cover of the former.

Thanks, I've been looking all over for an accurate Malvina scheme to paint, though those checkerboards scare me just a bit  :laugh:
Personal Units: Pleiadan Dragons (Mercenary), The Blessed Blade (Word of Blake), Jormungandr Galaxy (Rasalhague Dominion)

Favorite Factions: Clan Star Adder, Rasalhague Dominion, Federated Suns, Marian Hegemony, Rim Worlds Republic

"Gamers don't look up" - the Highlander about to land on my head