Author Topic: A sample from one of my ongoing projects: Crossbow and Javelin  (Read 520 times)

Mechanis

• Corporal
I have a perhaps slightly excessive number of projects, but this is a sample from one of those.

Code: [Select]
Javelin 3
Range: (5) 6/12/24
Damage: 5/Msl, 3 C10
Heat: 4
Critical Slots: 2
Weight: 2.00
Ammunition/Ton: 16
Battle Value (Ammunition): 200 (25)

Javelin 5
Damage: 5/Msl, 5 C10
Heat: 6
Critical Slots: 4
Weight: 3.50
Ammunition/Ton: 9
Battle Value (Ammunition): 320 (40)

Javelin 7
Damage: 5/Msl, 7 C10
Heat: 8
Critical Slots: 6
Weight: 5.00
Ammunition/Ton: 7
Battle Value (Ammunition): 440 (55)

Javelin 9
Damage: 5/Msl, 9 C10
Heat: 10
Critical Slots: 8
Weight: 6.50
Ammunition/Ton: 5
Battle Value (Ammunition): 550 (69)

Quote from: Javelin Long Range Tactical Missile System
A cutting edge technology developed by the Fortress Republic, Javelin missiles are perhaps the ultimate evolution of the Long Range Missile. Five times as powerful per missile as any previous LRM system, and with greater maximum range and superior accuracy, the Javelin is a weapon of shocking power that can blast apart even an Assault Mech, at long range and in short order. Only the fact that this devastating technology had only just entered limited service when the Republic fell prevented its full impact, and while data and materials have made their way to the Great Houses and other powers, even the Clans have had difficulty mass producing these extremely sophisticated weapons.
Quote from: Game Rules
Tech Base: Javelin missiles are available to both Clan and Inner Sphere technology bases.
Unit Restrictions: ProtoMechs and Battle Armor may not mount Javelin missiles.
Game Rules: Javelin missile launchers receive a -1 modifier to all To-Hit rolls and a +1 modifier to their Cluster Hits rolls to represent the increased accuracy of their sophisticated guidance systems. Javelin launchers may use Narc-enabled, Artemis-enabled, Laser-Guided (TAG), Inferno (Javelin), Mine-Clearing, FASCAM/Mine-Deploying, ANARC and ATAG alternative munitions.
Construction Rules: Javelin missiles may be mounted by all units which may carry standard missile launchers in accordance with their core construction rules. Javelin launchers are compatible with Artemis IV and V fire control systems in accordance with the specific construction rules of those systems.

Code: [Select]
Crossbow 3
Range: 3/6/12
Damage: 3/Msl, 3 C3
Heat: 2
Critical Slots: 1
Weight: 1.50
Ammunition/Ton: 27
Battle Value (Ammunition): 70 (8)

Crossbow 6
Damage: 3/Msl, 6 C3
Heat: 4
Critical Slots: 2
Weight: 3.00
Ammunition/Ton: 13
Battle Value (Ammunition): 140 (18)

Crossbow 9
Damage: 3/Msl, 9 C3
Heat: 6
Critical Slots: 3
Weight: 4.50
Ammunition/Ton: 9
Battle Value (Ammunition): 200, 25
Quote from: Crossbow Short Range Tactical Missile System
The Crossbow is a cutting edge close range missile system developed by the Republic of the Sphere during the Fortress Republic, and the technology has proliferated to other powers with its collapse. Longer ranged, more powerful, and more accurate than any previous Short Range Missile system, Crossbow launchers can be devastating to unprepared enemies who expect traditional SRM launchers, and they are supplied with nearly every conceivable alternative warhead available to their standard counterparts.
Quote from: Game Rules
Tech Base: Crossbow missiles are available to both Clan and Inner Sphere technology bases.
Unit Restrictions: ProtoMechs and Battle Armor may not mount Crossbow missiles.
Game Rules: Crossbow missile launchers receive a -1 modifier to all To-Hit rolls and a +1 modifier to their Cluster Hits rolls to represent the increased accuracy of their sophisticated guidance systems. Crossbow launchers may use Narc-enabled, Artemis-enabled, Laser-Guided (TAG), Inferno (Crossbow), Mine-Clearing, FASCAM/Mine-Deploying, ANARC, ATAG, ANARC-I, ATAG-I, and Swarm (Crossbow) alternative munitions.
Construction Rules: Crossbow missiles may be mounted by all units which may carry standard missile launchers in accordance with their core construction rules. Crossbow launchers are compatible with Artemis IV and V fire control systems in accordance with the specific construction rules of those systems.

Quote from: Laser Guided ammunition
Similar to Semi-Guided ammunition for conventional missile launchers, Laser Guided ammunition is a special TAG enabled munition type. This sophisticated guidance system is superior to nearly all previous precision guidance systems at the expense of being completely dependant on the use of Target Acquisition Gear.

Laser Guided ammunition can only be fired at a unit which has been affected by one or more friendly TAG system(s) in the same turn. Laser Guided missiles do not make a To-Hit roll, and automatically strike the same location as the TAG, though must still make a Cluster Hits roll normally. If multiple sets of TAG are affecting the target, divide all available Laser Guided missiles evenly between the TAG hit locations after resolving Cluster Hits Table rolls. If the target is protected by an Angel ECM System or Nova CEWS, add a -1 or -3 modifier (respectively) to the Cluster Hits roll of each Laser Guided missile attack. Guardian ECM Systems have no effect on Laser Guided ammunition.

Quote from: Inferno (Javelin) & Inferno (Crossbow)
Inferno missiles are one of the most useful alternative munitions available to modern launchers, and the advanced Javelin and Crossbow missile launchers are no exception. Both advanced systems have their own specially designed Inferno warheads which are extremely dangerous to any unit vulnerable to excessive heat.

Javelin Inferno missiles are always fired as an indirect fire attack, but do not require a spotter if the firing unit has Line of Sight to the target. Rather than inflicting damage, Each Javelin Inferno missile adds 3 heat to the target, plus 3d3 additional heat or anti-personnel damage. Against Battle Armor, each Javelin Inferno missile automatically kills 2 troopers (barring Battle Armor equipped with Fire Resistant Armor) instead of inflicting conventional damage. Any hex which is struck by a Javelin Inferno missile attack is also immediately set on fire, per the rules for standard Inferno missile attacks.

Crossbow Inferno ammunition also adds 3 heat to the target for each missile rather than inflicting conventional damage, plus an additional 4d3 anti-personnel damage against infantry. Against Battle Armor, each missile automatically kills 1 trooper (again barring those equipped with Fire Resistant Armor) rather than inflicting conventional damage.

Quote from: ANARC/ANARC-I ammunition
Recent advancements in miniaturization allowed by study of advanced Clan technology has allowed the combination of Artemis and Narc guidance systems into a single, unitary package which can combine the effects of both systems in a single missile. The heavier missiles of the advanced Crossbow system further allow this technology to be combined with an Inferno Missile to create the nightmarish "ANARC-I" missile type.

ANARC missiles combine the effects of Artemis IV or Artemis V and Narc-enabled ammunition. For the Crossbow ANARC-I missile, treat as a standard Inferno SRM for damage purposes, including the effect on Battle Armor, though it retains both NARC and Artemis functionality.

Quote from: ATAG & ATAG-I
Much like the ANARC munition, advances in miniaturization and programming have allowed older Artemis guidance systems to be extended with an improved form of TAG guidance. The missiles used by the advanced Crossbow launcher are even large enough to allow this to be combined with a standard SRM Inferno warhead for a weapon which is extremely dangerous.

In addition to the properties of Artemis guidance, ATAG missiles receive an additional -1 To-Hit modifier and +2 Cluster Hits modifier if the target has been affected by a friendly TAG system in the same turn. For the Crossbow ATAG-I missile, treat as a standard Inferno SRM for damage purposes, with the above effects applied.

Quote from: Swarm (Crossbow)
Not to be confused with the Long Range Missile ammunition of the same name, Crossbow swarm missiles take advantage of the larger size of these weapons compared to their SRM predecessors to fire three-pack "bundles" of smaller missiles, offering superior ability to find gaps in enemy armor.

Crossbow Swarm ammunition fires 3 smaller missiles for each standard missile the launcher would usually fire. Each of these missiles deals 1 point of damage and each missile rolls for hit location individually, though the full salvo makes To-Hit and Cluster Hits rolls as appropriate for their type, with all relivant modifiers applied.

Quote from: Javelin Mine-Clearing & FASCAM ammunition
Javelin missiles are more than large enough to deploy mines and remove them. In fact, the large size of these missiles actually allows them to be highly effective in this role.

Javelin Mine-Clearing and FASCAM ammunition both target a hex, rather than a specific unit. In the case of the former, make a standard Cluster Hits roll to determine the number of missiles able to successfully engage in the target area, then destroy 10 points of Mines for each missile. Standard units in the hex also take 1 point of area-effect damage as an Attack from Above per missile.
For FASCAM ammunition, again make a standard Cluster Hits roll to determine the number of missiles to successfully engage in the target hex, then add 8 points of Mines per missile to the target hex per the rules for mine deploying LRM ammunition. Javelin FASCAM ammunition may deploy any type of mines, but all mines in a ton of ammunition must be of the same type.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2023, 18:52:59 by Mechanis »

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
Re: A sample from one of my ongoing projects: Crossbow and Javelin
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2023, 13:36:09 »
So is this from You Get The Horns, 3299, or something else entirely?

Retry

• Lieutenant
Re: A sample from one of my ongoing projects: Crossbow and Javelin
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2023, 17:20:46 »
Both (but especially the Javelin) are overtuned.  As in it's better to use those than IS (and even some Clan) energy and ballistic weapons against Reactive Armor opponent, overtuned.