Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 40022 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
What's most interesting to me on that is the landing gear. Commercial landing gear isn't as rugged as military, like the C-17 and C-14, for operations like the ice runway.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
They got there from Capetown and back on a single tank of gas, though... I guess that made the risk worth it...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Also they were nowhere near a full load.  12 tons of cargo is about a fifth of the max load of a 787, and I can't imagine the low number of passengers added that much more.  Plus, they were landing (and taking off) with only a half tank of gas...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Also they were nowhere near a full load.  12 tons of cargo is about a fifth of the max load of a 787, and I can't imagine the low number of passengers added that much more.  Plus, they were landing (and taking off) with only a half tank of gas...

honestly i suspect they'll never try to fly that route with a full load.. the lighter the load, the less gas it'll need to make the trip.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Good point!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
It's a little over 2600 miles from Cape Town to Troll Station.  Loaded with payload a 787-9 can fly 9000 miles as some of the longest scheduled flights. 12 tons of cargo, and 45 passengers is a pretty easy flight. A couple of years ago a Airbus 340 did the same flight.

The longest scheduled flight of a 787 is Perth, Australia to London UK.
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA9/history/20231117/1130Z/YPPH/EGLL
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
So here's a mini-poll.  Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jets, do you prefer the rounded French nose cone or the pointy German one?

French:

German:

Personally I'm more fond of the pointy nose, it just looks faster - even if it's a subsonic aircraft.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2023, 23:56:06 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
I think the rounded nose fits the rest of the aircraft a little better.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
So here's a mini-poll.  Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jets, do you prefer the rounded French nose cone or the pointy German one?

French:

German:

Personally I'm more fond of the pointy nose, it just looks faster - even if it's a subsonic aircraft.

Pointy nose only with the splinter camo. Also, I made a typo in the other thread. Obviously Alpha Jets would be DEFA and not ADEN cannon. Same difference! Also, they seem to be popular commercial aggressor aircraft, flying with both Top Aces and Qinetiq

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
It depends on what's behind the nose cone to me.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
My first reaction was the rounded nose, but as I looked at the images longer, the pointed nose is etching away at me.

Really, I am with Daryk insofar as the functionality wins out for me on this one. I believe the German aircraft had more utility, especially at the outset. According this website:

"Although the Alpha Jet came in different variants, here is a tip on recognizing the two main types of this successful fighter jet. Alpha Jets with a rounded nose were used for training purposes. Indeed, a round nose delivers enhanced stability during the flight stage, an advantageous benefit for training pilots. Conversely, a sharp nose is the distinguishing feature of the attack version of this aircraft."

In the meantime, have an Alpha Jet with delusions of being a Big Cat:

And this...this is a beautiful aircraft. I shall be stealing this scheme.

Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

Just thought I would share.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
That's a pretty good reason.

And it's always the most expensive plate they break, too.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
That's a pretty good reason.

And it's always the most expensive plate they break, too.

And the plastic cup doesn't do it for them, only the glass ones will work, lol

Edit: Unless you were enjoying what was in the plastic cup, then all bets are off.  THEY KNOW!
« Last Edit: 18 November 2023, 21:29:36 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

DOC_Agren

• Major
Some of us (at least) are working to bring OPSEC back as more than a suggestion...
Good Luck...  DC leadership doesn't care about..  my household can tell you of my rant on Abbottabad raid and then fact they said who did it before they got back stateside.   And the Books and Movie afterward...
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

DOC_Agren

• Major
Pointy Nose
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Rounded for me. If we only talk aesthetics.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
i have to say i think the rounded looks better, but i'm wondering what the difference is beyond appearance? does the military version have additional sensors in the nose or something, or was it just a visual recognition feature?

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
The German "pointed nose" has better/more well-defined ground attack abilities. Never a mention that the French "rounded nose" has an edge in A2A, that I have found.
--A. Duritz

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/78hqknKq8P4

Kitbash of an X-29 with F-20 kit parts in a 1980s F-16 paint job. He's got multiple longer videos about the process including all the ways an F-29 wouldn't actually be feasible  :cheesy:

Still though, It really brings those Stingray ASF vibes, no?  :grin:

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

Here's an interesting short read about when the Harrier II's were retired and sold to the USMC to be used as spare parts. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-the-legendary-harrier-ii-jet-was-retired-by-the-raf/ar-AA1kvH1a?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6118401f49e848e489acd32cf8ffa6a8&ei=43

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That was a remarkably low price!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Only 2.4 million apiece, that's pretty damn cheap for a modern fighter yeah. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Only 2.4 million apiece, that's pretty damn cheap for a modern fighter yeah.

cheap enough Pepsi could finally give that kid his fighter plane.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
I stumbled over this, and thought I should share

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Spooky?  That doesn't look like a C-130, though... ???

DOC_Agren

• Major
Spooky?  That doesn't look like a C-130, though... ???
Spooky the AC47 model.. also know as Puff, the Magic Dragon in Vietnam.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Ah, I didn't realize Puff had the same technical call sign as the later version!

DOC_Agren

• Major
Gunship family
AC47Spooky (6 of these are Basler BT-67 [AC-47T] still flying and fighting in Colombian Air Force) 
AC119 Stinger
AC-130A, E, & H Spectre
AC130U Spooky
AC30W Stinger II
AC130J Ghostrider (current model USAF)

Register