Author Topic: RISC Discussion thread  (Read 1436 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
RISC Discussion thread
« on: 06 September 2023, 07:57:25 »
I know that the RISC as of Ilclan era is no longer a relevant entity, but I find some of the tech they came up to be rather interesting and creative. Like the Hyper laser for example. But the most promising ones that stuck out to me most as a player of battletech was the RISC Laser Pulse Module. The concept behind it and the way it works both in game and in universe intrigued me about the RISC's other projects like the advanced point defence system. Never used them myself either in homebrew construction or in gameplay. but I find myself drawn back to the RISC's developments even if a good chunk of those projects didn't see prime-time.

so what are your thoughts on the RISC and it's R&D while it was around? Both from a lore and gameplay perspective.

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: RISC Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2023, 08:04:26 »
In universe, they were pushing the limits of tech to see what they could do to get an edge and their success rate was… okay?

It’s called out that people who salvaged RAF mechs would see them start exploding or failing right away from RISC tech, yet the RAF didn’t see those failures. That means that RAF was able to avoid the failure rates of the equipment as written into the rulebooks, which means they weren’t as comically suicidal to equip as they are on tabletop.

So one of those things that were better in lore than in game.

I also think there’s room for a delightful TRO:RISC with a bunch of examples of RISC modified RotS mechs.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2023, 09:14:21 »
I find the pulse laser module a great development although limiting due to the chance for burnout. Haven't used the Advanced Point Defense although I like the concept and putting it on Battle Armor is a fun addition.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2023, 09:26:38 »
In universe, they were pushing the limits of tech to see what they could do to get an edge and their success rate was… okay?

It’s called out that people who salvaged RAF mechs would see them start exploding or failing right away from RISC tech, yet the RAF didn’t see those failures. That means that RAF was able to avoid the failure rates of the equipment as written into the rulebooks, which means they weren’t as comically suicidal to equip as they are on tabletop.

So one of those things that were better in lore than in game.

I also think there’s room for a delightful TRO:RISC with a bunch of examples of RISC modified RotS mechs.
Which suggests the issue was maintenance and the knowledge needed to do it properly.
No doubt toned down versions of some of it will eventually show up as new tech during the ilclan period, representing versions that have had bugs worked out and limiters put in place.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2023, 09:31:26 »
yet the RAF didn’t see those failures.
Really?

That would be very nice.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2023, 10:06:26 »
Which suggests the issue was maintenance and the knowledge needed to do it properly.
No doubt toned down versions of some of it will eventually show up as new tech during the ilclan period, representing versions that have had bugs worked out and limiters put in place.

Yeah. Definitely seems like there was institutional knowledge for operation and maintenance. Unfortunately, that increases the odds that no nation picks the tech up.

Wolves in theory should have access to the records, logs, manuals, etc. to do something with it, but that would make the wolf touman increasingly bland as they just get to have and use everyone’s tech.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2023, 12:10:11 »
Wouldn't the RISC facility and tech be something the Word was working on prototyping? The Republic just used them as needed, damn the possible failures?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2023, 05:45:00 »
Wouldn't the RISC facility and tech be something the Word was working on prototyping? The Republic just used them as needed, damn the possible failures?

TT

RISS was founded by Levin and situated on Devil's Rock. They might have used whatever was left of the Word's databases (remember they tried to burn their own records which was quite succesful) but at the same time why didn't they then use the Celestials as base for new Mechs? I think RISC is more Republic gear then anything Word related. The glaring Word tech the Republic used is the Wall and whoever launched Clarion Call. And of course the Tripods which are a derivative of the Omega mech

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2023, 13:58:40 »
Cosmetically, they are distinct.

Black Ops, a great way to root out opposition.
Scare tactics, great way to train in secret.

Also, Mechs to Plows was heavily encouraged, unless you want a RotS virtual army and warship support to show up on your door step, with Clan tech allies...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2023, 14:55:17 »
Good RISC

APDS (super AMS) is a good and more realistic depiction of automated defense systems.

Agreed that Laser Pulse Modules are solid options.  I’ve used them on TSM designs where I needed to generate extra heat, on top of the range/accuracy advantages.

I very rarely use XXL engines, but Super-Cooled Myomer works great with XXL engines, negating the high heat from ground MPs using those engines.

Viral Jammers are hilarious against opponents that like to running a lot of ECM/stealth or a lot of C3 or other advanced targeting systems.

Bad/Indifferent RISC

When it fails, Emergency Coolant System basically disables a mech between engine hits and added heat.  Coolant Pods or Radical Heat Sinks are better solutions at lower tech.

Same goes for the risk of engine hits with the Heat Sink Override Kit.

Hyper Laser has a really high risk of failure for not much more damage/range than can be achieved with Clan-grade ER PPCs and Capacitors or Improved Heavy Gauss.

Not sure Repeating TSEMP is worth the risk of failure when a design with more than one regular TSEMP cannon can still attempt a shutdown every turn.  Maybe on smaller designs.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2023, 14:58:48 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2023, 21:35:36 »
those ones you list as 'good RISC', are also the ones i could see being developed into something more stable later on, either using samples of the RISC hardware and datafiles, or being developed separately from first principles based on what those could do.

i'd imagine that the Advanced AMS would be some of the first to be redeveloped. since the base hardware for it should be fairly similar to standard AMS, so getting it to defend an area instead of just the unit it is mounted on would be a case of modifying the mount for wider and faster traverse, and improved sensor systems and software.