Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 80729 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Shipping used to be a lot cheaper. In fact, early in KS's history it wasn't unusual for shipping to be included in the pledge. That did change fast when creators started getting burned.

Wasn't any better about  blowing the timeline though.

So many people are in the mindset of to "covid is over so the world is back to normal now." They don't seem to get that it's impact on the shipping industry is still being felt, and issues with different major shipping canals since are only making it take longer to get back on track.

With the timing thing, anyone who's done a kickstarter should know by now that six months late is early.  For anyone who it's their first time, it's their own fault for not doing research before jumping into crowdfunding.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
A friedn who runs a webshop and orders from a German distributor says it's on their system now and should be out the end of next month.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

klarg1

• Captain
I was perusing the comment section on KS to see if there was any information about which wave of shipping people would be in. The amount of negativity is astounding! It seems like a lot of people were expecting shipping to be $20 or something along those lines and are acting like they expected the packages to arrive a week after the campaign ended. While I can certainly understand being impatient when there's something you want very badly and it hasn't arrived yet, I also understand that things take time. I thought CGL has done a pretty good job of being honest and transparent. I just don't understand the level of vitriol and venom being spewed out. If I ever back another KS, I will definitely be steering clear of the comments section!

In my experience, that is pretty typical of Kickstarter comments.

I see you have already discovered the solution.

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
Hey guys, Quick question: Since I paid for the shipping today, Would that possibly mean that my orders will be in the first wave of shipping maybe ??
Nothing has been said publicly about when you had to pay shipping to be put in wave 2. Just remember that Wave 2 will be shipping immediately after Wave 1 so you will be getting your stuff around the same time the last people in Wave 1 do.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Looking forward to the photos of the terrain pieces when done.  :cool:
If it ever stops raining here so I can get them done!
I'll post pics in the terrain section later.
I have 3 different sets of Geo-Hex Battlescape and all the specialty caves as well.
I'm working on a makeshift photography area in our storage room for it.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
So many people are in the mindset of to "covid is over so the world is back to normal now." They don't seem to get that it's impact on the shipping industry is still being felt, and issues with different major shipping canals since are only making it take longer to get back on track.
I think it's more likely this is just the new normal.  Between companies not wanting to roll back more profitable policies/pricing and a general drop in worker competency/ethic, my family has just come to accept it.  I started a list of all the associated product/service quality things I used to encounter once every few years that I now encounter monthly, but I stopped because it was too depressing.
Luckily, there are still efforts like CGL offsetting some shipping costs to show that there are companies out there that do care.

CDT Special Agent #343

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
I think it's more likely this is just the new normal.  Between companies not wanting to roll back more profitable policies/pricing and a general drop in worker competency/ethic, my family has just come to accept it.  I started a list of all the associated product/service quality things I used to encounter once every few years that I now encounter monthly, but I stopped because it was too depressing.
Luckily, there are still efforts like CGL offsetting some shipping costs to show that there are companies out there that do care.

Oh yeah, the shipping stuff is definitely not on CGL. And as far as I'm concerned, they promised to ship in June, so as long as they throw my box on a truck sometime in the next six weeks, I'll consider the promise fulfilled. And if it's later, well, I can wait on my toys.

I can - and have - criticized Catalyst before, but I think all of the screaming about shipping is a nothingburger spread by those who already have an axe to grind.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
In slightly different news: the Star League Command Lance is up on the Catalyst Store (Thunderhawk, Phoenix Hawk, Atlas II, and pre-painted Orion). I just ordered and got the “product has shipped” email. They’ve also got the Urbanmech LAM box up, too.

Luciora

• Major
I placed my order last week and it still says unfulfilled.  Konda odd, considering how fast everyone else is getting the thier CGL store orders. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I placed my order last week and it still says unfulfilled.  Konda odd, considering how fast everyone else is getting the thier CGL store orders.

You might contact them, I got mine yesterday when I ordered last Friday evening.

The Orion is mocking many of my half painted mechs . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Teejay75

• Private
The Orion is mocking many of my half painted mechs . . .
Well he is a Kerensky…

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
Honestly I'll be happy if I get my orders before the fourth of July so I can partake in some old fashioned fourth of July fireworks ya know  azn :cheesy:
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

SANSd20

• Sergeant
They’ve also got the Urbanmech LAM box up, too.

Trying really hard to order this one...
Mecr KS back #244

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Its tough to buy, no record sheets, and a joke.
But it is nice to have.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
And here I thought this was a 'no one is gonna buy it' product? Are you saying the initial outrage it wasnt something 'useful' was wrong?  :wink:

Greatclub

• Captain
And here I thought this was a 'no one is gonna buy it' product? Are you saying the initial outrage it wasnt something 'useful' was wrong?  :wink:

We knew it was going to sell. We just wish it was something useful instead of a show piece.

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
We knew it was going to sell. We just wish it was something useful instead of a show piece.
If you don't want it as a show piece, there's always kitbashing or terrain pieces, if you had it and needed something to do with it. Maybe discovering a destroyed Star League research site...? :cheesy:

Charistoph

• Major
If it was one of the original 3 LAMs, or even the Wobbie one, I'd be interested.  But since the only reason I even have UrbanMechs is due to gifting and using them for scenario mooks, I can't see a reason for ever procuring the Urbie Lam.

Now, the MegaUrbieZord, that I might be interested in.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
**Mod Notice**

Before you lot start another pages-long exchange over the absolute value of Urbanmechs and/or LAMs and/or Urbanmech LAMS and/or things you personally like and/or things you personally dislike, I'm just going to go ahead and post this friendly reminder about Rule 3...

3. Don’t start trouble
Posts the Moderators consider overly confrontational will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, trolling and ignoring in thread requests from moderators.

Additionally, this rule covers actions that span more than a few posts. This includes deliberate, conscious and continued antisocial behaviours like thread crapping. If you have a problem with the basic premise of a discussion such that you wish it weren’t taking place at all, just ignore it. Blotching the thread with confrontational posts that don’t add anything to the discussion will infringe rule 3.

And now I'm off, onto my next Mod adventure.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
In my case, Ray addressed my concerns about the pack.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

psionics313

• Private
how is discussing about urbie lams and it's efficacy "starting trouble"
Rust, Dust, and Guts

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die

Because the mods remember previous arguments.

Charistoph

• Major

Some are salty about the attention Urbies gets.  Some are salty about LAMs in general.

Put them together and you get a salt mine ready for people to want to explode.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

DarkSpade

• Major

It's less "starting" trouble, and more "a continuation of past" trouble.

If I remember correctly, the conversation wasn't nixed.  It was just moved elsewhere.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

psionics313

• Private
Seems suspect. ISF is watching. Carry on.
Rust, Dust, and Guts

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Seems suspect. ISF is watching. Carry on.

No. We listen to the mods here, because they've been doing this for literally decades and know what topics set people off. Don't let the paranoid brainworms from other places infect you. The mods are tyrants in the shadows, they're fellow fans who can be trusted to head off what flame wars they can, and stamp out those they can't.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Yeah, the mods here are the friendliest and most approachable I've ever seen on a gaming message forum.  They're just trying to keep things friendly and polite.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Charlie 6

• Captain
Yeah, the mods here are the friendliest and most approachable I've ever seen on a gaming message forum.  They're just trying to keep things friendly and polite.
Why is there no like button on this flippin' forum?  Seriously it's been 13 or so years of thankless work of by these folks keeping this site one of the nicest on the internet and we still can't afford a like button?

If anyone wonders why the Kickstarter is successful/even happens it's because the community fostered here and cared for by the mods and the members.

Now I just need to find places for the stuff I'll likely never paint but hopefully my kids will (one was reading Warrior: En Garde tonight, so there is hope).

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Some are salty about the attention Urbies gets.  Some are salty about LAMs in general.

Put them together and you get a salt mine ready for people to want to explode.

And yet the UrbieLam may help startup the LAM lance where we see the Wasp, Stinger, and Phoenix Hawk LAMs.  With the lance being filled by the Shadow Hawk, Scorpion, or Champion (or all the above). 

And we may not see anything either and the UrbieLam set is just an April Fools Jokes that became “reality”.

The only constants are death, taxes, and any dice I use fails me when I Alpha Strike.

Charistoph

• Major
And yet the UrbieLam may help startup the LAM lance where we see the Wasp, Stinger, and Phoenix Hawk LAMs.  With the lance being filled by the Shadow Hawk, Scorpion, or Champion (or all the above).

I don't anticipate a Lance Pack of LAMs ever happening (though, you're missing the Wobbie Pwwka).  You're talking about a dozen models in one box.  That's the same as the Mercenaries box or (almost) the Alpha Strike box.  That's going to be a big box.