Author Topic: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs  (Read 7430 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs
« Reply #120 on: 10 March 2024, 14:19:33 »
Know what cracks me up?  When the Aerospace Cabal was working on the LAM rules that eventually ended up in the RS 3085 book, the first thing we did with our new construction rules was make sure we could recreate the canon LAMs with them.  After that, we threw out a few conjectural ones.  Mine actually was an UrbanMech LAM, which Joel B-C told me to hang onto because he liked it enough to try to get it included (which obviously didn’t happen).  It also scares me how many years it’s been since we worked on that project.

I found a bunch of my old emails, and yeah, it's been a hot minute. What amuses me is that it was the height of "the devs hate WarShips" sentiment, while an entire team was quietly working behind the scenes on all things aerospace.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 10 March 2024, 14:27:16 »
Thanks for all the additional information about the back history of LAMs in Battletech!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #122 on: 10 March 2024, 14:32:40 »
Agreed, that's interesting stuff.

I do think LAMs can afford to be better than they used to be - the limiters feel like they've come off a bit on designs recently and it's exciting.  If AirMech mode doesn't exist, a pox upon it, then in both Mech and ASF mode I think it's fine that a well designed LAM is better than a badly designed mech or fighter, as long as a well designed mech or fighter is better than the best designed LAM.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #123 on: 10 March 2024, 14:44:52 »
even with the limits on the structural stuff, you can do some interesting things with them. they just all have trade offs. small cockpits, composite structure, IJJ's.. combined with how potent that newer weapons can be (especially when combined with DHS to deal with heat) and the options for bomb bays and internal fuel tanks, and there are a lot of options. though i think that most of the canon ones tend to skew too much toward combat and don't really play around with roles that LAM's would be ideally suited for. with their mobility, fitting LAM's out with Recon Cameras, deployable sensor dispensers, and comms gear could create a spectacular forward scouting unit, for example. and while those tend to be overlooked by players due to the combat centric nature of the game, they could still be interesting fodder for scenarios or to take as a supplemental unit within a larger force to gain useful abilities. and that sort of loadout is something the SLDF could do, no need for post-clan tech.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #124 on: 10 March 2024, 14:52:39 »
I really don't understand why people still worry about LAMs.  Outside using MegaMek (which thank god has all rules plugged into it.)  Their highly complicated to use since you got operated out of 3 rules books on table top.

Quote from: Rules
Mech & Air Mech Modes
Total Warfare - Mech based Movement, Aerospace Fighter Rules
Interstellar Ops - LAM rules - 106 - Points other books 
Tac Ops 1st Ed - 1 Table - Turn Modes (pg 2) Move Radius - (Pg26) Fail Piloting Rule/turn -0
Strategic Ops - High Altitude (Fighter Mode)

Tac Ops and Interstellar Operations, most of the rules are in Interstellar,
Tac Ops mostly contains info related to Hybrid Modes WIGE Movement and of course Total Warfare

Tac Ops it mostly just needing the turning Radius optional Rule, which is not Optional for LAMs
The Rule itself is optional for things other than LAMs, but Lams have to use it is all.

Having UrbanMech LAM or any other one, won't be like the ye olde days. Where rules were untested, maybe sometimes someone miss using the rules.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #125 on: 10 March 2024, 15:12:21 »
I think it's fine that a well designed LAM is better than a badly designed mech or fighter, as long as a well designed mech or fighter is better than the best designed LAM.

This is a very fair mindset for LAMs, and I'd love for this to be a guideline for them going forward, if it meant actually getting to see more of them. Now that we're entering a new era in the current timeline, it feels like the right time to be able to do things like this.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: 10 March 2024, 16:42:26 »
Compared to a Battlemech, you lose the opportunity to make it a quad or a tripod, you can't make it a heavy or assault 'mech, you can't make an omni, you lose many of your alternative structure options (though composite is still useful; Reinforced is too heavy to be practical on a LAM though), advanced engine options are out (Compact doesn't count), advanced gyro options are out (Compact's actually good in general here, but there's not enough weight to go around), advanced cockpit options are out besides smalls, advanced armors are out.  Weapon-wise, the no-split rules doesn't really matter since with all the restrictions there's not enough weight and so many crits that there's never any situation you'd need to do so, so in practice it just means you can't mount Arrow IVs or Thumpers on your LAMs.

Compared to an ASF, the 'Mech pays an extra 10% weight for conversion gear, another 10% for internal structure (5% with composite), a flat 2-3 tons for the gyro, a flat 0.5 tons per thrust point via jump jet (1 ton with IJJs), loses all of the free hardpoints an ASF enjoys, and loses 2 safe thrust points compared to an equivalent ASF at same weight and engine rating.  Other than LAM-specific features like AirMech mode, the one boon LAMs get is a ton of fuel that is effectively free, but that weight doesn't offset any one of these features.

There's a lot of restrictions.  Some of them seem like they have a balance dimensions (though for some of them I disagree on them), but quite a few of them don't.  I don't think a LAM quad or tripod would be particularly good, but how does restricting them from the LAM classification balance them?  Ditto heavies/assaults.  The Champion and Scorpion LAMs appear to exist solely to show that they never work, but why they need to never work isn't clear.  Feels like a restriction for the sake of itself.

I think it's fine that a well designed LAM is better than a badly designed mech or fighter, as long as a well designed mech or fighter is better than the best designed LAM.
Yeah, this sounds about right.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 10 March 2024, 17:36:40 »
I don't think a LAM quad or tripod would be particularly good, but how does restricting them from the LAM classification balance them?  Ditto heavies/assaults.  The Champion and Scorpion LAMs appear to exist solely to show that they never work, but why they need to never work isn't clear.  Feels like a restriction for the sake of itself.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if someone tried to create a quadruped that was both a LAM and a QuadVee. Would one have to set aside 20% of its weight to cover both sets of conversion equipment, then?

Actually, now that I think of it, perhaps the tracks/wheels would could be used both in ground vehicle mode (for driving on the surface) and in aerospace mode (in order to take off and land on a runway)...

-----

By the way, how much of a difference (if at all) is there to the use of LAMs and QuadVees over in Alpha Strike, as opposed to Total Warfare?

Rules-wise, at least, both unit types are covered in Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition. But in terms of their actual use on the tabletop, do the AS rules help or hinder either type in any appreciable way?
« Last Edit: 10 March 2024, 17:45:16 by Nerroth »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #128 on: 10 March 2024, 18:09:25 »
Canonically, there are no successful quad or 60+ ton LAMs because nobody bothered doing more than the most-cursory development of them. If you want to ignore the 55-ton limit, have at it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #129 on: 10 March 2024, 19:31:18 »
LAM's would make very good scouting and recon units. Can cover lots of ground fast, put a active probe and see what you can find
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 10 March 2024, 19:39:09 »
Canonically, there are no successful quad or 60+ ton LAMs because nobody bothered doing more than the most-cursory development of them. If you want to ignore the 55-ton limit, have at it.

This is incidentally also the reason Silver Bullet Gauss can't switch ammo types, and it's very nearly as unsatisfying there as it is here.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 10 March 2024, 20:53:00 »
Urbie QuadVees? I like it!   :grin:

The 10% (15% for BiModal) for conversion system doesn't help any LAM but I felt it was a fair trade off for their mobility. Adding in Avionics and Landing Gear stacks the trade against LAMs a little as they take up 6 critical slots but I think it's still an acceptable trade off. The rest of LAM's construction restrictions (No XLE, FF, ES etc.) used to make sense until the introduction of QuadVees. Now the restrictions don't make as much sense and some feel like pure nerfing.  I hope the needless restrictions get reversed. I'm also hoping the lack of tech restrictions for QuadVees will open the door for more advanced LAMs with fewer tech restrictions. I don't think we need to go all the way back to zero restrictions but it would be nice if there were fewer.

I like those write ups in TRO:3085 and I hope the UrbanMech LAM gets published.

It would be nice to see more LAMs that weren't designed to slug it out. LAMs are good in other rolls. Why not have LAMs for them? I liked the Mk1 Wasp LAM being a bomber until the bomb bays were nerfed. And I can totally see a LAM with the equipment you mentioned. LAMs are already good scouts. Why not use that equipment to make them better?

XTRO: Boondoggles did give reasons why the Champion and Scorpion LAMs didn't work but I don't think those reasons need to apply to the entire class. I also don't see why other techs couldn't get them to work eventually. I wouldn't mind there being Quad LAMs, Heavy and Assault LAMs or even Tripod LAMs. They wouldn't have to be TriModal either. It would be nice if the Thorizer came back too.  :evil:

A flying QuadVee would be fun.  :evil:

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #132 on: 10 March 2024, 20:59:39 »
How were bomb bays 'nerfed'?

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
One basic design-flaw with LAMs I've noticed in 3025 is, "Where's the fuel"? 

Going to say this: I have never used Aerospace mode in combat on LAMs...In fact, I have rarely used 'Mech mode on LAMs...Once they get to the battlefield, it is AirMech mode the whole time. This is because I use them as fast raiders and harrassment units, not sluggers.

Aerospace mode is no joke especially with 100-point bombs; a direct hit from a dive-bombing LAM in Aerospace-mode is no laughing matter; wait, it is if you get a head-hit!  I've literally destroyed Clan assault-stars using LAMs.

I've used LAMs as ambush-mechs using this map (upper right corner (it's a webp)): just stay in cover until you win initiative.

https://www.picclickimg.com/oN8AAOSwwC5kx5Ej/Battletech-Maps-Pack-1991-X-8-Fasa-Corporation.webp

I think AirMechs get a lot of flak (pun intended) in part because they were originally anime inspired. Because anime has a different feel people say LAMs don't fit in with BattleTech and that they're too anime-y. That attitude rarely seems to apply to other anime mechs though even though all the original BattleDroids were inspired by Anime. So it's a bit weird, and while BattleMechs are capable of a wide variety of movement types, I think the lore does a good job of making the universe it's own thing.
. . .

I was going to say, "Um", Dougram and Macross, but yeah; Battletech is based off of Anime: well, based off of '70's & '80's.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 10 March 2024, 22:00:18 »
I recall 60+ ton LAMs and non-bipedal LAMs both being called out as explicitly illegal with the current LAM construction rules.  Am I incorrect?
Aerospace mode is no joke especially with 100-point bombs; a direct hit from a dive-bombing LAM in Aerospace-mode is no laughing matter; wait, it is if you get a head-hit!  I've literally destroyed Clan assault-stars using LAMs.
100-point bombs?  Where are you getting those?  Base HE bombs is 10 points per, clusters 5 points in a larger area.  FABs don't get you there either; largest I think gets you to 100.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #135 on: 10 March 2024, 22:05:49 »
60+ ton lams have been strictly illegal from a rules perspective since BT Compendium (1990). i did enjoy the Champion LAM in boondoggles. i like that those kinds of products exist so some genuine batshit envelope-pushing has a place in the (relative) canon.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
One basic design-flaw with LAMs I've noticed in 3025 is, "Where's the fuel"? 
It hasn't been invented yet. :wink:

Fuel wasn't a thing for LAMs until BTM:ROW. Seriously, they don't even have fuel points in AeroTech, however that works  :headbang:
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #137 on: 10 March 2024, 23:46:09 »
one of the reasons that the current rules give them free fuel points. works out to about half a ton's worth. not much, but they only use it when in fighter mode (or in orbit in general) so is enough for getting to and from a planet to orbit, with a little for atmospheric fight across long distances. so long as they avoid any dogfighting along the way.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 11 March 2024, 00:47:53 »
How were bomb bays 'nerfed'?

The way the original Bomb Bay rules could be read that 1 ton bombs took 1 critical slot and 2 ton bombs took 2 slots. Now bombs take up as many critical slots as they do bomb slots.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=2708.msg66979#msg66979

So a 5 slot bomb takes up 5 critical slots. That's 5 tons of bomb bay for a 1 ton bomb. That's a big nerf.

I recall 60+ ton LAMs and non-bipedal LAMs both being called out as explicitly illegal with the current LAM construction rules.  Am I incorrect?
100-point bombs?  Where are you getting those?  Base HE bombs is 10 points per, clusters 5 points in a larger area.  FABs don't get you there either; largest I think gets you to 100.

The Champion Heavy LAM and Scorpion Quad LAM are in XTRO: Boondoggles. So you can build them but they get the Illegal Quirk.

Bombs in Aerotech 1 came in ratings from 10 to 100 points. The bigger the rating the slower they made the fighter but the bigger boom made up for slower speeds.

60+ ton lams have been strictly illegal from a rules perspective since BT Compendium (1990). i did enjoy the Champion LAM in boondoggles. i like that those kinds of products exist so some genuine batshit envelope-pushing has a place in the (relative) canon.

Me too. :)

It hasn't been invented yet. :wink:

Fuel wasn't a thing for LAMs until BTM:ROW. Seriously, they don't even have fuel points in AeroTech, however that works  :headbang:

Maybe it was because fights didn't last as long in AT1 because armor was thinner as it had to cover more locations.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #139 on: 11 March 2024, 01:17:10 »
The way the original Bomb Bay rules could be read that 1 ton bombs took 1 critical slot and 2 ton bombs took 2 slots. Now bombs take up as many critical slots as they do bomb slots.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=2708.msg66979#msg66979

So a 5 slot bomb takes up 5 critical slots. That's 5 tons of bomb bay for a 1 ton bomb. That's a big nerf.

That's not a nerf, it was clarifying a rule that people were misinterpreting. The entire reason the Wasp Mk. I has a five-ton bomb bay is to allow it to carry a single Arrow IV AGM...which, by the way, makes it the lightest 'Mech capable of making a nuclear attack.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #140 on: 11 March 2024, 01:31:56 »
I'm not a fan of transforming mecha on an asthetic level but oh man would I get behind a single-form Clan Snow Raven Airmech.  It would fit well with the Ravens bluring the lines of clan society and their focus on Aerospace.  I like this idea a lot actually.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #141 on: 11 March 2024, 02:15:35 »
That's not a nerf, it was clarifying a rule that people were misinterpreting. The entire reason the Wasp Mk. I has a five-ton bomb bay is to allow it to carry a single Arrow IV AGM...which, by the way, makes it the lightest 'Mech capable of making a nuclear attack.
Most people do not use nuclear attacks, so from that perspective it is like paying 5 tons for a single arrow attack, which does feel like a bad deal.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #142 on: 11 March 2024, 03:14:01 »
Maybe it was because fights didn't last as long in AT1 because armor was thinner as it had to cover more locations.
I mean, fuel points are a thing in AeroTech, just not for LAMs. It took BTM to give them 30.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

LAMFAN

• Corporal