Author Topic: Black Water  (Read 5945 times)

Katarn04

• Private
Re: Black Water
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2024, 23:32:44 »
Justin took a knee in the center of the group, pulled his helmet off, and took a deep drink from his hydration pack. Blinking sweat droplets from his eyes, he glanced at the others. “Hydrate, people.”

Ken pulled a beer bottle from a pouch and took a swig. “Already on it, sir!”

“Dude, if CID catches you with a ****** beer at a mockup, we’re all in deep shit. Put that away.”

“It’s just root beer.”

Justin laughed. “You’re a dick. Chug it, I’m sticking you on Green Squadron for a stint.”

Ken’s eyes grew wide, and he immediately shotgunned the root beer. The carbonation brought tears to his eyes, but he finished. “Sorry boss.”

“Next time, when I say water and any sort of sports drink, bring water and any sort of sports drink. Clear?”

“Clear.”

“Alright boys and girls, I’ve worked you harder than an ugly stripper after Christmas, so this was the last run. We’ve tested everything. We’ve thrown every wrench we could think of, any wrench the other Troops could think of, and every stupid decision MIIO could possibly make, and we’re still clearing the facility and taking control of everything in less than two minutes. For a facility of this size, that’s impressive.”

He paused and removed his sunglasses. “SMEAC is as good as it’s going to get, but we went WARNO – and strange wording on that warning order – to recon and execution quickly, so if you have any issues or concerns, raise them now.”

Sera shook her head. “I’m not comfortable with MIIO’s planning and targeting priorities. They’re not playing nice with DMI, and we’re getting Eiffel Towered as the new result. I don’t like it.”

“I don’t like it either,” Justin replied. “I do think it’s just a turf war, and as one of the few other SMUs, we take the…well colorful way you put that.”

“I knew he had a weakness!” Tom Jenkins called. “‘Colorful’ jokes.”

Justin turned. “I gave your mom all the coloring she could handle last night. It was like painting the walls of a cave with Twinkie.”

Jenkins bent over with laughter, and Justin continued.

“Do we have any other objections, questions or concerns?”

Nobody said anything.

“So, take the night off – unlike Tom’s mom – and keep it safe. I’m not going long with this. Commander Rollins IS coming with us, by the way. He’s leading the Troop, not me, so best behavior after tonight, ok?”

“Hooyah,” they answered collectively.

He nodded and stood up.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2024, 07:48:28 by Katarn04 »

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2024, 15:59:48 »
The final plan deviated from the original kicked around by the Frogmen after they received the WARNO – warning order. With a four-level Escape and Evasion Plan, One Troop joining the operation as the blocking force, and a dedicated Rabid Foxes Extraction Team pretending to be Davion Guards Special Forces, Justin barely recognized the thing. He reflected on the changes when he stepped in the shower after his second workout, and he continued that reflection when he sat down on the room’s couch and flicked on the holo. He found nothing worth watching, of course, so he turned it off and pulled a book from the shelf.

He laid on the couch with the book, a historical fiction piece following a Roman officer stationed in Moesia Superior with Legio VII Paterna during the Crisis of the Third Century, and a glass of twenty year-old Chianti Riserva. The others, he knew, were down at the E Club, the Enlisted Club on post, drinking heavily and enjoying a final night of freedom before the tension and excitement of battle – and the horror – but it was something he never truly enjoyed. Alcohol and SOF troops tended to go hand-in-hand, but Justin had never been a heavy drinker. He rarely dated, too, and saw little need for frivolous, lust-induced dalliances.

He heard the ringing. He wanted to ignore it, but a quick glance confirmed it was the secure line. Swearing loudly, he picked it up and pressed answer. “Zibler.”

The metallic voice sounded like something out of a bad spy holo. Instinct kicked in, and he pressed the record button and a trace. The secure line had been clearly hacked.

“Master Chief Petty Officer Justin Zibler of the Federated Suns Navy: listen carefully. Your operation is compromised. You must abort.”

The words shocked him, and a well of fear erupted in his gut, but he kept his voice calm. “And who are you? How are calling from the secure line?”

“That is not the question you should ask. You are compromised. Gold Squadron is not the leak. DMI is not the leak. Abort the mission.”

“What’s your evidence?”

The voice hesitated for a single heartbeat.. “You cannot trace this call, so do not try. It is your secure line.”

You clearly don’t know my sister.

“I still need evidence. Is it MIIO?”

“I am trying to help you. You will learn.”

The line disconnected.

Justin dialed another line. Margot, touring a base on another continent, answered immediately and formally until she heard his voice. “What’s up?”

“We’ve got a problem. Hold one. I’m connecting Rollins.”

He answered as quickly. “J, ma’am; what’s up?”

“We have a huge ****** problem. This is secure?”

Margot disappeared from screen for a split second. “Yeah, but not as secure as in person. I can be there in two hours.”

“Yes, but this can’t wait. We’re compromised.” He played the message, and their faces darkened. Margot asked for a replay, so he did it again.

“I’m looking Admiral McCampbell in,” she announced, and a moment later, the Admiral’s handsome face appeared. Directly descended from United States Navy Captain David McCampbell, a legendary aviator from the Terran Second World War, the Admiral  had spent his entire career in MRTs. He was the Bullfrog, the highest-ranked and longest tenured Frogman of the Navy, with more bling on his chest that a metallic peacock. Ironically, his ancestor had battled the great founding ancestor of House Kurtia, Admiral Takeo Kurtia, at the Battle of Leyte Gulf, where United States Navy forces crushed Imperial Japanese Navy battle groups in the largest naval battle ever fought. Zibler hoped that spirit remained.

Margot explained the situation. McCampbell’s face darkened, and Justin felt the officer’s eyes bore into his skull. “Your assessment, Master Chief?”

“I believe it,” he replied after a moment. “I don’t know who the caller is, but it feels legit, and I don’t want to take the risk.”

Margot cleared her throat. “I agree with the assessment, Admiral.”

“And I agree with all of you. Scrub the mission, commander. Get everyone back on base immediately.”

“Yes sir,” Justin and Rollins replied. They disconnected, and Zibler selected a premade recall order. He sent it as a massed text and leaned back. The responses immediately came in, and he replied with what he could. They gave ETAs and he stood and reached for his wine bottle.

He felt it, a stillness in the air. Then the metal flashed, and he tasted blood.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2024, 07:18:38 by Katarn04 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2024, 18:51:50 »
Ironically, his ancestor had battled the great founding ancestor of House Kurtis, Admiral Takeo Kurtis, at the Battle of Leyte Gulf

Autocorrect? :D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2024, 18:58:43 »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2024, 19:41:49 »
If you're getting mystery phone-calls telling you your mission op is compromised, it is probably compromised-at least, at their level of operations it's probably compromised-someone who shouldn't know about it knows about it, someone who shouldn't be talking has commenced running their yap.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2024, 20:45:21 »
If you're getting mystery phone-calls telling you your mission op is compromised, it is probably compromised-at least, at their level of operations it's probably compromised-someone who shouldn't know about it knows about it, someone who shouldn't be talking has commenced running their yap.

Exactly Canon! It’s the “oh shit” factor and you should immediately abort.

PsihoKekec

• Major
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2024, 01:12:20 »
       Margot disappeared from screen for a split second. “Yeah, but not as secure as in person. I can be there in two days. I have a jump circuit.”

If she has a jump circut and can be on world in two days, how are they conversing in real time? That was next to impossible before the HPG network went down and completely impossible after the collapse.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2024, 06:54:08 »
If she has a jump circut and can be on world in two days, how are they conversing in real time? That was next to impossible before the HPG network went down and completely impossible after the collapse.

Dude I COMPLETELY forgot about that. Even with the HPG network intact - and by 3152, there is still no indication that it is intact - or with the black boxes, there is no way that is possible. I’m putting her back on planet.

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #38 on: 03 June 2024, 23:02:20 »
IV

She showed nothing on the outside, but internally, she practically laughed with glee as she made a quick, efficient thrust with the tanto. Seeking to drive the blade between his ribs and into his heart and lungs, she barely registered that he had somehow sensed the attack. Only when his muscular left forearm, top out to protect the vital blood vessels under, came between the blade and his torso did she fully understand.

Blood sprayed from the arm, but his right palm lashed out and smashed her nose the same moment she cut his arm. She tried to bring her elbow up, but he slammed his forehead into her face and drove forward. His left arm, oozing blood, smacked into her groin and his pounded his right knee into her ribs. Her fingers slipped from the tanto, which clattered to the floor. Panic set in. The Davion was big, strong, explosively fast and extremely well-trained and experienced. If he managed to set the plum clinch, he would beat her to death. She had no doubt about that.

She locked her fingernails into the gash on his arm and twisted. He groaned but snaked his right fist around and punched her in the side of the neck. The shock of the blow stunned her, but she dipped her head and broke from his grasp easily, surprisingly easily.

Then his left elbow cut upwards and crushed her collarbone. She screamed, but his right palm smacked into her again. She felt a searing pain burn through her right eye, and she ducked again before he could gouge it out. She heard a crack and fell to the floor. Her right foot bent at a weird angle, but she felt no pain. That was a bad sign, but she at least knew the poison she laced her blade with would start to take effect before he could interrogate her.

The first punch landed the second she hit the floor. She saw red, blood, her blood, gushing from three holes in her chest. The barbarian had drawn his sidearm and shot her as she was falling. Enraged, she raised her head.

She saw the flash, the fire, and then she saw and felt nothing else.

Justin fell to his left knee. He placed his pistol on the table and sent a text. ALL PERSONNEL SHELTER IN PLACE. I HAVE BEEN ATTACKED. POISON BLADE.

It hurt to breathe, and his eyes gradually lost focus and darkness encroached. He felt the rest of his body fall forward. This is how I die? At least that bitch is dead.

He slipped into the warmth of sleep.

He felt pain, a sharp prick, in his right shoulder. His lungs suddenly felt as though they had burst into flame. Somehow, his back arched and he sucked air through his nose and mouth. The pain died, and someone rolled him to his side. He vomited hard, but his vision began to clear.

“You’re alright, J. I had antivenom.”

Justin laughed. Sera’s voice rang like an angel. “How,” he gasped. “Did you get here? How did you have an antidote?”

“I didn’t go out, and I’m Pararescue. That others may live. We always have the solution. In this case, it’s a universal antivenom developed in the 21st century.

He vomited again. It was continuous for almost two minutes, but when it stopped, the powerful, painful cramping in his abdomen and the feelings of paralysis and suffocation subsided. “You saved my life. You said antivenom?”

“And you saved mine before. It’s what we do. Yeah, antivenom, a universal antivenom developed for neurotoxins in the 21st century. The blade was probably coated in blue-ring octopus venom.”

A million questions flooded into Justin’s mind, but he held back. They wouldn’t help, and things were still dangerous. He needed to get a line on his people, immediately, but his head still swam. What is going on? Why try to kill us?

Another thought struck him. He assumed whoever attacked him wanted to kill everyone, but he didn’t know that. This could have been personal.

Yelling from the hallway caught his attention, and his room door opened suddenly. Ken, wearing a duffle over his shoulders, stumbled in, dragging the body of a much smaller Asian man behind him. The man’s arms bent at weird angles, but the pair of pruning shears jammed through his neck told Justin that the fight was vicious.

Sera moved to him. “Are you hurt? Did he cut or stab you with anything?”

He shook his head. “He tried to shoot me. If the cat hadn’t bit my toe at the last minute….”

“Yeah, well he pissed off the wrong guy. Damn, Ken; pruning shears?”

“It’s what I had.”

“And you what, just rushed him after he fired?”

Ken nodded. “Yeah. I have his piece, too.”

The frogman carefully placed the duffle on the floor and opened it. Justin handed gloves out. Sera took a seat facing the door, her M42B Carbine over her lap while the two pulled a sophisticated sniper rifle, another tanto, and a needle pistol from the bag.

Justin whistled. The rifle, sporting a free-floating long rail system and a custom, very expensive scope, appeared to boast a cold-forged, free-floating steel barrel with chrome internal lining and an attached suppressor. “This is aircraft grade aluminum. The upper and lower receivers are precision machined and matched in a way I can’t even explain. It’s in 6.5 Creedmoor. That scope is entirely custom.”

“This shit is seriously expensive,” Sera said, making a face. “Too expensive for ISF. The ****** Collective dotes on the Samurai MechWarriors, not ISF hit squads unless they’re DEST, who are MechWarriors to begin with.”

Ken nodded safely. “You know something,” Justin said. “What?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you, boss.”

“Let me guess: some sort of Shinobi thing. Spirit Cats?”

“I know you doubt them, but if you pull open a pocket, you’ll probably find an origami cat.”

“I don’t doubt their existence. I doubt I’m important enough to send one after me.”

“Ziblers have killed a lot of Combine warriors throughout history.”

Justin slipped the gloves on and moved to the body of the woman he killed. He probed carefully, with a healthy respect for booby traps, until he found what he was looking for. The paper felt heavier than it should, but the cat it formed was unmistakable. He held it up for Ken to confirm.

“He’ll have one too,” the commando announced.

Justin nodded. “MPs will be released to come to us soon. DMI reports suggest they work in four or five man teams. I doubt they’ll come after us again, but the others…”

“Are grouped together, with a Rabid Fox Extraction Team as backup,” Sera replied. “This attempt failed. They won’t go for your sister, either. She’s just as operator as you are, and you absolutely destroyed that woman. You too, Ken.”

“Mine was a dude, but yeah.”

“Why? I mean, we’re good – I think we’re better than any ninja – but it seemed…easy,” Justin said.

Ken shrugged. “It’s just different. We trace our lineage directly to the U.S. Navy SEAL teams that landed on New Avalon with Terran Alliance Marines. The Foxes trace theirs to Delta Force and the British SAS. Nekakami traces theirs to Shinobi clans of feudal Japan. They’re Old World, not used to the skill and brutality that we can bring. They’re better at pure assassination of political leaders and corrupt DCMS MechWarriors than we are, but they’re…a tool of a more civilized age, and times have changed.”

“I wouldn’t call feudal Japan civilized, or any feudal society for that matter, but I take your point.”

Sirens grew louder, finally, and the communicator rang. Justin picked it up. “Zibler.”

“J, we’re getting the team back on base. There were two more attempts and both failed with no losses to us, just some minor injuries.”

“Thanks, Commander. We take any of them alive?”

“Not really. The one who survived immediately committed suicide with some sort of poison. There might be more out here, but we’ll do better against threats together. See you in 20.”

“Yes sir.”

He disconnected, but the phone immediately rang again. Justin glanced at it, then the others. “The door is locked?”

Ken nodded.

He answered. “I figured you’d call back now that your little friends are dead.”

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 04 June 2024, 00:30:36 »
So I reckon medic injected him with something similar to atropine?

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #40 on: 04 June 2024, 00:35:30 »
So I reckon medic injected him with something similar to atropine?

Very good!! Medic?

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 04 June 2024, 04:24:52 »
Medic?

Fancy titles and additional training aside medic is always a medic. When I or my buddy is bleeding, I'm going to be screaming for medic, not any longer title.

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #42 on: 04 June 2024, 06:44:24 »
Fancy titles and additional training aside medic is always a medic. When I or my buddy is bleeding, I'm going to be screaming for medic, not any longer title.

No, I was asking if you were one, though as former CCT, I have to defend my AFSOC brethren haha. PJs attend the same selection and pipeline we do, save they go to New Mexico for EMT-Paramedic. They are dangerous! Haha, but you seem to know a bit of this.

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 04 June 2024, 06:59:49 »
Never been a medic, just a regular infantry, but atropine was part of our NBC training and first aid training, not that we ever got issued it. Only in case of war, just like morphine for medic kits. 

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #44 on: 16 June 2024, 21:34:25 »
Margot Zibler jumped from the VTOL, a Kestrel that AFFS SOF troops loved, and raced inside the compound, barely registering that the checkpoints were now manned by significantly more dangerous troops in PAB-27 armor and full battle rattle. She didn’t bother with a single modicum of restraint, either; when Justin stood up from the chair with his heavily bandaged arm, she flew across the floor and wrapped her brother in a giant hug.

“Uh, you know I’m a lot bigger than you, right?” Justin mumbled.

“I don’t care. You still hug like a bitch.”

She pulled back just slightly to look at him. “What the hell happened?”

“I pissed off the wrong people?”

“I think they pissed off the wrong guy. You walked away. That bitch didn’t.”

Justin raised an eyebrow, but she shook her head like an angry, stubborn mare and met his stare. “Don’t start, J. I’m pissed. I’m allowed to be, and if you give me some stupid ‘it’s just me, I’m not important’ bullshit, I swear to God I will put you in an admin or training role so quickly that you won’t have time to strip your equipment down. Now what the hell did they have to say when they called you?”

He shrugged. “He said the team that attacked us went rogue and did so against orders from the clan and the Coordinator. He said we should be allies in this fight.”

“Did you believe him?”

He shrugged again. “I don’t know. Nekakami aren’t noted for being particularly reliable sources. I barely believed they even existed until now; like the Samurai with seppuku, where we have a handful of reliable cases and a ton of aggrandized mythology and lies, there are very few solid, reliable sources of Shinobi. I can’t trust an organization like that, and common sense tells me not trust the enemy to begin with.”

Margot laughed. “You’re a ****** nerd. Finish that doctorate already.”

“But I do want to agree to the meet.”

“Absolutely ****** not!” She screamed, surprised that Rollins and a few of her brother’s teammates had jumped up to yell the exact same thing. The chorus of voices seemed to bury Justin, but he remained at the epicenter, the eye of the verbal storm, as calm as anything she had ever seen him be. She smirked, even though she knew what it meant.

When the storm died down, J stretched his arms out to either side. “Look, people took a shot at us. They failed because we’re better fighters, period, just like DEST failed to stop us because we’re better players at the pure Direct Action game. They’re not going to try again.”

“You don’t know that!”

He met her stare. “Are you here as a superior officer, or as my sister?”

Oh, you son of a bitch. Sorry, mom.

“As my sister,” he said, smiling. “That’s your ‘apologize-to-mom-for-calling-me-a-son-of-a-bitch’ face.”

“For a smart guy, you’re an idiot. The giant hug and the sanitized BDUs should have given that away. I’m Margot tonight, concerned and loving – if really pissed off – sister, not Field Marshal Zibler. Besides, this isn’t my command.”

“But it is mine,” Rollins interjected. “And I say this is stupid.”

Margot sighed. “Yeah, but if you order him not to do it, he’ll just go anyway.”

“Yeah, and then I’ll have to Court Martial a 37 year old perma-bachelor with nothing to live for but the nation and the teams.”

“Hey!” Justin objected.

“Oh, sorry, and the Roman Catholic Church and the models he paints.”

“Hey again! We’re Ambrosian Rite!”

Margot laughed. “Yeah, but if we let him go, we can set up all the security we want, with operators.”

Rollins nodded. “Agreed. That means get the hell out of the room, Master Chief.”

Justin turned, his sparkling blue eyes wide. “You’re kicking me out of my own op? Why?”

“Yes, I am, and because I said so. Step outside.”

Justin walked out, and Margot turned to Rollins. “He has a point, Commander,” she said, her eyes narrowed. For some strange reason, dismissing her brother angered her a little. “Why make him leave, especially with me here!”

“Sorry, ma’am. I didn’t mean to offend. Your brother has a problem, though; he thinks he’s always right.”

Margot sighed. “No, Commander. My brother’s problem is that he almost always is right, and you know it. You’ve been his friend a long time, which brings me to my next point: do you know a better gunfighter than him?”

He shook his head. “Honestly ma’am, no. There’s maybe five or six shooters in this universe with that kind of natural, intuitive aptitude.”

“And three of them are mine.”

“Nolan, O’Bannon, and Ezzelini?”

“Yeah, plus another, a Major Pallavicini, commanding the 7th Crucis Lancers’ Battle Armor Battalion that survived on Palmyra and ran the resistance for five years.”

“Yeah, I read about that,” Rollins replied. “It was badass. You’re right, ma’am. I’m sorry.”

“No worries, but call him back in now, please.”

There was no mistaking the steel in her voice. She tried to keep much of it out, but she failed. Rollins called Justin back in. Margot looked both men up and down. “Ok, now I’m Field Marshal Zibler. You’re in on it, but I’m telling you exactly what’s going to happen. If either of you objects, I’ll have this scrubbed well above your heads. Are we clear?”

“Crystal, ma’am.”

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #45 on: 17 June 2024, 23:37:54 »
V

They had only been on station for an hour when the figure slowly approached the perimeter from the wood line. The pouring rain did little to mask the sense of foreboding Justin felt, but he smiled anyway. The fear and excitement blended together in his chest, but he stood relaxed, fully kitted out with the plate carrier taken from PAB-27 combat armor, FAST Maritime High-Cut helmet, AOR 2 Naval Working Uniform, and white-phosphate quad NODs, raised up on his helmet. He carried his custom Serrek 7875L and his M42B URG-I carbine, Upper Receiver Group – Improved.

The figure glided close and stopped only 5 meters away. “Master Chief, it is an honor,” he said as he bowed deeply, his voice scrambled by the internal contents of the Tengu mask he wore over dark, close-fitting clothing and boots. “I did expect you to come alone.”

“I never said I would, and you didn’t come alone either.”

“I am wounded, Master Chief. I…”

Justin cut him off, a rude thing in Japanese culture, but the Frogman didn’t care. “If you lie to me, this will go nowhere but badly.”

“I see. I brought four men.”

“You’re lying again. I saw the Spirit Cat dressed in red,” he sang, his well-schooled baritone voice smoothly pouring from his lips.

The figure stiffened, unable to conceal his surprise from his body language. He touched his mask, and glanced back. “Please remove the IR tags from my family.”

Justin shook his head. “No, and don’t bother trying to play counter-sniper. My people are already moving to alternate positions.”

“Ah, so the Field Marshal is in the field. Your sister is a formidable woman. DEST still has a price on head, as do Clans Ghost Bear and Hell’s Horses.”

“She is probably the best recon operator alive.”

He laughed at that. “Yes, and a peerless hunter and sniper. We know your family well, Justin Mark Zibler. Tell me, does she hide your secret as her own, too?”

Justin smiled. He had expected this, and the Spirit Cat’s desire to regain control was understandable. “She does indeed, sir. I would not suggest using that line here, though.”

The figure shrugged. “Ah, yes, as you have guns on all of my clan. That leaves you and I in the center, and you could easily draw and fire your sidearm before I could clear my weapon. With the rifle, you have an even greater advantage. You are confident.”

Justin tipped his head just a bit. “I am indeed.”

“You should be, Justin Mark Zibler. Your skills are legendary even among your enemies. Let us stop this dance. We are warriors, all of us, every man and woman here a tiger.”

“Ok, let’s but first tell me why you’re here.”

The figure sighed. “I can to apologize. You and your soldiers are not the target, and the attacks on you came against orders. It was, as you say, personal. The woman you killed had a brother that you also killed, personally. He had infiltrated a DEST team.”

“The Vibroclaw suit.”

The man recoiled again. “That is very perceptive, Master Chief.”
      “DEST recruits MechWarriors, not Special Operations troops or infantrymen. They don’t move well. He did.”

“I know you feel nothing but disdain for my country, but…”

“Disdain is weak compared to what I actually feel for your country, ninja. You’re an abomination, born of bloodshed and the slaughter of innocents, of the crimes of Imperial Japan and a society that never once apologized to the millions and millions of people it raped and killed. You continue that to this day, from Kentares to the Dragon’s Tongue. You glorify death. Racism, tyranny, xenophobia and death are your only cultural legacies outside of cartoons.”

“And you are sinless?”

Justin chuckled bitterly. “Not even close, ninja, but at least we admit it and try to do better. Now tell me why I’m here, or I swear to God, I will wipe your entire clan out, starting with you.”

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 18 June 2024, 00:23:23 »
Why are Spirit Cats working for the DC, after they pretty much exterminated their cousins Nova Cats?

Adjudicator

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 18 June 2024, 01:22:38 »
Why are Spirit Cats working for the DC, after they pretty much exterminated their cousins Nova Cats?

These "Spirit Cats" in question are NOT the Post-Jihad / Republic Offshoot faction of the Nova Cats.

These "Spirit cats" refer to the Nekekami, a kind of secretive ninja clan in service to the Draconis Combine which certainly pre-dates the Clans and possibly the original Star League itself.

To read about their not-insignificant role in canon, refer to the Thomas S. Gressman books of the Twilight of the Clans Saga (Book 3: The Hunters, Book 5: Sword and FIre and Book 6: Shadows of War).
« Last Edit: 18 June 2024, 01:25:13 by Adjudicator »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 18 June 2024, 08:03:36 »
nice balance job keeping the disdain and dislike while still allowing for, if not cooperation, then rationality.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2024, 18:57:24 »
nice balance job keeping the disdain and dislike while still allowing for, if not cooperation, then rationality.

Thanks! I’m kind of leaning on how I, personally, think I would react to this kind of thing. I did have to work with some foreign elements we normally wouldn’t have, and it was interesting.

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #50 on: 19 June 2024, 19:00:07 »
The figure bowed. “May I ask one favor, first?”

Justin wanted to snap at him again; a well of frustration and impatience bubbled in his soul, but he bit it back and stared into the Tengu mask. “Ask.”

“Could you finish the cadence for me?”

“You really don’t want that, ninja. The next line brings a storm of shit you aren’t prepared to handle.”

“I see,” the Nekakami leader uttered, his voice clearly amused. “Death by song. That is fitting from one warrior to another.”

“I’m not a warrior. I’m a soldier. Last chance: why are we here?”

“You are both, Master Chief. Now, we are here for the Black Water facility. Can your sister hear us?”

“She can, but I need to remind you that my people  are a separate command.”

“Yes, but you are classified as a Tier 1 Special Missions Unit as well, equals to the Fox Teams. Your sister has commanded Fox Teams her whole career, and now leads the entire Department of Military Intelligence, something impressive for someone barely in her 40s. She has influence, and I propose a joint operation.”

Why the ****** am I not surprised?

“Let me get this straight: your hooded freaks tried to kill me and my people. We killed them instead, and now you want to work with us hours after we wiped an entire team of yours off the galactic chart permanently? How the ****** does that make sense.”

“I do not claim to make sense in this case, Justin Mark Zibler. I claim that this is necessary, that the war between our nations ended with your victory in the Dragon’s Tongue.”

He shook his head, the Tengu mask somehow appearing sadder. “I know of a greater enemy that hunts us all, Justin Mark Zibler, an old monster, risen from the grave in the chaos of this century. Black Water is the key.”

Justin leaned back and looked at the sky, keeping the Nekakami agent in his peripheral vision. Something about his words felt true, even if he couldn’t exactly place why. He was certainly dangerous – he was probably the most dangerous potential opponent he had ever faced, and while he was 100% certain he could and would defeat the ninja if they proverbially crossed blades in the future, it would take effort – and it was likely safer to just kill him and his team where they stood. Nobody would fault him for it, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. You never could bring yourself to kill defeated and downed opponents. You always feel pity, and that might get you killed one day.

He shook his head. No, it wouldn’t get him killed, and compassion and moral decency were the things that separated soldiers of the Federated Suns from the monsters of the Combine. Rather than a weakness, it made them better than their ancient enemy, and always victorious in the end. Mercy here was the only choice he had, or at least, the only choice he could make.

Finally, he met the mask. “What are you offering?”

“I offer a proposal to you, to Commander Rollins, and to Field Marshal Margot Zibler, the Ghost Walker of the Rabid Foxes. I propose that the Hattori family of the jizamurai class join the ocean warriors of the Federated Suns to save the galaxy from the fires of technocracy.”

Justin stared for a moment, a long moment. He opened his mouth but couldn’t find words and slammed it closed again twice. He felt winded but eager, shocked but alive. He couldn’t possibly mean…

Then Margot’s voice cut through the haze. “This guy is going to get me ****** fired.”

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 20 June 2024, 00:45:07 »
So WoB is coming back to save the Inner Sphere from Clans?

''You are being rescued from the clans (and House Lords). Please do not resist.''

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #52 on: 22 June 2024, 20:19:40 »
VI
Davenport
Verde
Federated Suns
16 July 3152

“How the ****** did you get him to go for this?”

Justin managed to kill the laugh before it left his mouth, and he somehow transformed the hysterical look into dignified anger. “Say that again?”

Ken bowed his head sheepishly. “Sorry. How the ****** did you get him to go for this, ma’am?”

“******, Ken,” Justin said, before leaning his head towards the sky. “Sorry God.”

He turned as Margot casually shrugged. “I’m just an operator until this is over. So, how the ****** I got him to go for this is simple: I asked him. The Prince is a soldier, a great one. He’s arguably the best MechWarriors alive, and he trusts his people to be just as good at their jobs. I asked. It’s pretty ****** simple, right?”

Ken nodded. “Yes ma’am.”

“I’m just an operator for now.”

Justin felt the grin, the “I’m winning against my sister in an argument” grin, tug at the corner of his face. He turned to her. “So, there’s no reason, none at all, that a Field Marshal or any other general officer should actually involve herself in operations. Nowhere in the history of realism has that occurred. You going out there is bad fan fiction, so, if you’re just an operator, why don’t you stay behind?”

“If you’re just an operator, ma’am. And the answer is no, Master Chief.”

“You literally just said you were just an operator!” Justin shot back.

“What, have you never met a hypocrite before?”

“The good idea fairy strikes again. This is stupid, Marg.”

“No, it’s hypocritical. I just said that! Pay attention, Master Chief.”

“******, man,” he replied. “That is….”

“Yeah, you got nothing, J. Because I’m smarter than you.”

“I’m telling mom,” he replied. “She’s probably only three martinis in.”

The doors opened and Rollins walked in with two intelligence officers in tow. “What have we learned?”

“If I may, sir,” Ken said, standing. “We learned that the Field Marshal is a hypocrite, that the Master Chief is dumber than she is, and that their mother lives in Drunkville.”

“We’re from Saginaw!” Justin retorted. “That didn’t warrant a mention.”

The comms unit dinged, and one of the analysts pressed a holographic icon. A shadowed face appeared in the center. “Has your prince decided?”

“Marshal Zibler here. Yes, he agreed.”

The figure paused and then nodded. “You are fortunate to have such a warrior for a leader. Who will head the operation?”

“Technically, it is a AFFS JSOC operation, with Department of Military Intelligence Section Six operators serving as the Special Reconnaissance element, and two troops of Gold Squadron, MRT WAG, Federated Suns Navy, serving as the Direct Action element, working in tandem with Allied Insurrectionist Forces who serve in an intelligence role.”

The tengu mask nodded. “This is acceptable, if you are true to your word.”

Justin physically bit his tongue and smiled at the mask, a bitter, hollow smile. “Given recent history, I would suggest proving the Combine is capable of keeping its word and that you and your people are capable of keeping your word.”

The mask bowed perceptibly. “Perhaps this will set your mind at ease, Master Chief.”

As he spoke, two small windows appeared at the bottom of the holo, one with a blueprint projection of what Justin believed was the facility, and the other video footage from the inside. Even he whistled. “Yeah, that puts my mind a little at ease, ninja.”

“You pushed for this to work, Master Chief. Your doubts were healthy, and now we can achieve victory together. We will update you as we gather more intelligence.”

The holo cut out. “He’s clearly planetside. The videos aren’t live, obviously, but they are only a few days old I think. Do they have access to their own HPG?”

Margot looked at the analyst. “Most HPG stations are still down, but anything is possible. These people are dangerous, in some ways, namely intelligence gathering and infiltration, better than us. Now, I am very confident that we’re better at Direct Action, but still, demonstrate extreme caution with this group, but use what they can give us. Rollins, Zibler?”

Rollins shook his head, but Justin cleared his throat. “Right. We’re definitely better fighters, but their intelligence capacity is better than anything I have ever worked with. Keep sharp, people. We can’t afford any screwups.”

He listened to the rest of the briefing, and when it ended, he was the first out of the room, the pent up fury inside pushing him to love faster. The whole operation set his mind reeling; he hated the Combine, passionately, because of his excellent grasp of history and because of his love of his nation. Working with them hurt his soul. Rage threatened to explode within, so he did the only thing he could.

Justin fled, to the only place that ever gave him comfort.

Margot followed the sound, and she found him exactly where she thought she would. He stood in the center of painted red square, his M42B URG-I carbine held at modified compressed high ready, horizontally above his right shoulder. He wore full kit, and the plies of 6.8x51mm brass, hair slicked back with sweat, and brass rakes indicated he had already run a course or five. She smiled at that; no matter what kind of “cool guy” job you had, in the military, everyone cleaned brass, policed cigarettes from the ground, and generally cleaned things nobody had any business cleaning. It was the way.

She grabbed soft and hard ear pro from the line and walked to the red square next to her brother, her own M42B at high port in her right hand. She knew he felt her presence, but he said nothing and worked through the drill, snapping his rifle from modified collapsed high to presentation, which meant turning the rifle horizontal to its rightful position while presenting, and chained shots, first one, then two, then three, four and beyond, presenting the rifle and firing in sequence from his initial stance. After a few sequences, he transitioned to his support shoulder and replicated the exercise.

Transitioning a weapon from primary to support and back again was standard practice for AFFS and Free Worlds League SOF, a legacy from their shared U.S./Commonwealth heritage. Everyone did it well, but most shooters needed thousands and thousand of practice rounds to gain that proficiency. That was not the case with Justin and never had been. Margot was never one to believe in the “over-the-optics” myth – combat shooting forced operators to fire several shots without using sights initially with great accuracy, but shooters always found their optics as quickly as they could – but Justin always intuitively seemed to know where the target and his barrel were in relation to each other. That’s why she always considered him one of the best five or six gunfighters alive; he could simply could put the shots where he needed to. It was intuition and natural ability honed to supernatural perfection with thousands of hours and millions of rounds. He couldn’t teach it. He couldn’t even put it into words, but Margot just knew that, if something had blinded him, he would still be able to land every single one of his shots in whatever he needed to kill. He had done it before.

Finally, he finished and changed his magazines. “Everything ok?”

She sighed. “What was that about today? You’re the one who argued for working with these people. You said we could trust them. Today, you acted like we couldn’t trust him, so I need to know what the ****** is going on.”

Justin slipped the selector’s switch to SAFE and lowered the weapon. He still wore a single point sling, which made transitioning shoulders easier but left the weapon to dangle kind of uncomfortably, but the awkward released position didn’t seem to bother him. “We can still trust them. He just….”

His voice trailed off, and Margot forced annoyance and frustration away. “He just what, J? He pissed you off with his ‘keep your word’ bullshit? He pissed me off too, but I didn’t snap.”

“Yes ma’am,” he replied. “Sorry ma’am.”

“Oh don’t you dare pull that ma’am bullshit on me right now. You’re going to tell me what the ****** is going on with you before I beat your ass up and down this course.”

He turned to face her, his face white. “Do you think you could?”

“You’re ****** right I could, Justin Mark Anthony Zibler.”

Her use of his confirmation name forced him silent for a moment, and he blinked. Pushing her hands down to her side, she waded in. “I’m one of the best ****** long shooters this nation has ever produced, and I am one hell of an operator. No, I’m not as naturally gifted as you – nobody can shoot like you can; it’s God-given talent maybe four other people alive have – but I am no ****** slouch and you know it.”

He raised his hands. “Marg, I never thought or meant to suggest otherwise. I know how good you are.”

“I know you know how good I am, you ****** idiot, but let me ****** finish. I’m an even better sister, and you’re going to give me that same respect by not ****** hiding. You don’t like being the center of attention because the last time you were, it almost ruined your life, but this op is putting you at the center. It’s your op. Now what the ****** is eating at you?”

He sighed and glanced down. Margot felt sadness and the urge to comfort her brother tug at her heart suddenly, and she felt horrible, but he began speaking before she could apologize. “It’s me,” he announced, his voice agonized. “I got a look inside of myself, and I hate what I see.”

Margot inhaled sharply. Her brother was a deeply compassionate and moral man, but his self-image could often turn bad. When it did…well it wasn’t pretty.

“What the hell do you mean? What’s wrong with you?”

“I’m…prejudiced. I held the Combine thing against them from the beginning. That’s…I’m awful and judgmental and quick to anger and…”
      She held a hand up and cut him off. “You have never held anyone’s skin color, sex, religion, orientation or anything of that nature against anyone, ever. You have treated every DCMS detainee with the same kindness you show everyone, so don’t give me that shit.”

“Yeah, because those are individual people. They’re the product of a tyrannical and xenophobic system that represses its own citizens so badly that most are illiterate, but I still…hate the Combine.”

“You hate a nation that is so evil that it represses its own people. You hate a nation that glorifies death and violence, that worships the men responsible for the Nanking massacre on old Terra and the cult of death those men worshipped at. You hate a nation that has killed probably billions of innocent people, our people, throughout history, and you hate a nation that still is somehow worshipped and glorified by countless individuals through space and time. That’s not prejudice, Justin. You don’t care about race or faith or sex or what a person identifies as. Hell, you’re basically a hippie surfer, but you hate something with reason. That doesn’t make you awful. It makes you human.”

He rocked back a little in shock. “But..”

“There are no ‘buts’ here, J. You could let that become prejudice of course, but you have never done so. You’re working with them now, and you never let the citizen aspect ever stop you from being kind. I know this because I have seen it. You don’t like the Confederation either, or the Clans, but you have been repeatedly decent to individuals from those places. Hell, I have your file, idiot; I know you don’t trust the Draconis March, either.”

“It’s not the March. It’s the loyalties of the March under Sandoval.”

She laughed. “Yes, dumbass. Now say that again with the others?”

“It’s…it’s not the people of those nations. It’s the system. It’s Kurita and its death cults. It’s the Confederation and its inhumanity. It’s…”

“It isn’t the individual people or the families or even the soldiers. It’s the systems, the tyranny, and the genocide. Don’t get it twisted, J; the Combine is evil and always will be evil. The system makes it so, but the people are victims, and every blow we strike against that system is a blow landed for humanity and decency and freedom. That’s our duty.”

“De oppresso liber.”

“Exactly, though you don’t get to say that shit, swabbie. That’s an army thing.”

“So,” he started, his mood already lifted. “You really think you can take me on this course?”

“God no, but I’ll beat your ass on the UKD. You want odds?”

“Out there? God no, in turn.”
      “So we’re even,” she relied. “Equals?”

He nodded. “Yeah, we are.”

“Except I’m cooler  and better-looking, you ****** nerd. So pick the drill, Master Chief. I need to put some ****** rounds down range. Running DMI sucks and I miss the teams.”

« Last Edit: 01 July 2024, 21:11:15 by Katarn04 »

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2024, 08:37:32 »
The next few days saw the teams run mockups again while pushing through SMEAC, the sequel. Justin hated planning, but the military had hammered METT-TC, an acronym for Mission, Enemy, Terrain, Troops – Time and Civil considerations, into his head so heavily that he could analyze mission plans in his sleep. Reconnaissance was critical – he always considered it the most critical element – and a Rabid Fox Infiltrator Mk. II recon team led by his sister, who somehow managed to unrealistically bully everyone into ignoring the entire Field Marshal thing to get back in the operational side one last time, had already departed. They would free fall – High Altitude, High Opening or HAHO in this case – practically from low orbit and keep eyes on the facility for days before the assault. Two suits, Margot’s and another operated by Master Sergeant Karl Echbert, came equipped with its standard Magshot Gauss Rifles. The other two were the “Sensor” variants, which sacrificed the Magshot for a machine gun and improved sensors. They would prove critical in the verification stage.

Margot could scrub the mission if she felt the Nekakami lied, or really for any reason, and her people had several extraction plans in place. If they scrubbed, the recon team would meet the assaulters at the nadir system jump point. They would likely full abort by that time, but until then, with the HPG network still mostly down, the assault teams would continue.

Justin walked in and flicked the lights off. Once again, a holo of the facility appeared in the center of what the operators called “the classroom.” Both troops gathered around it, and Justin nodded at 4 Troop’s Chief, Abebe Kimani, who flashed a bright smile that clashed brilliantly with his almost black skin. Kimani was a great chief and an incorrigible prankster, but he was all business today. “Alright people, final check in. Take it from the top. What’s our primary objective, Ken?”

Ken touched an icon, highlighting two key areas in the building complex. “Our primary objective is the recovery of these two hard drives, possibly linking remnants of the Word of Blake to the Combine’s Black Dragon society, which should also be entirely dead, and to the invasion of our space. Our secondary objective is the destruction of the mainframes with demo charges.”

“Yeah, that sums it up. Two Troop, what is our task?”

Tom leaned back. “Waterborne infiltration of the Black Water facility via its seaborne gate for the submarines we didn’t know they could launch. We will conduct the strike and recovery, and Four Troop will hold the perimeter of the building and defend the land route. They’re cordon, were strike.”
      “Because you won rock – paper – scissors!” Abebe shot out.

“Hey, sucks to suck. Alright, we’ve been over this a thousand times. We’ve run the mockups a thousand times. We’ve insulted Tom’s mother a thousand times. Before we let the intel nerds back in, are there any objections to any elements of the plan, any calls for abort?”

One by one, the MRTs shook their heads and gave verbal acceptance of the mission. Zibler nodded. “Alright, we’re a go then. Primary extraction is VTOL flight from the DropShip. Secondary is a direct landing. Tertiary is a swim out to sea, or really, we deploy the Zodiacs and motorboat our way to the birds, drive the ramp and go, just like Tom’s mom.”

He glanced out of the room. “Alright, bring on the nerds.”

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2024, 10:20:33 »
Bremond
21 July 3152

Hypoxia could kill just as easily as enemy fire, especially on a HAHO – High Altitude, High Opening – drop. To counter this, the teams began pre-breathing exercises with pure, 100% oxygen to flush the nitrogen from each Frogman’s bloodstream. After this, they immediately switched to carefully-maintained and tested oxygen bottles, which, in theory and often in practice, would prevent the nitrogen from returning and protect the operator from decompression sickness. The Pararescue Jumpers assigned to the troops stood and walked to each member, checking them for signs of the hypoxia, and they checked each other constantly. Justin had another way of helping.

Blessed with an excellent, bluesy voice and good training, Justin loved music, to the point that songs often gave him goosebumps and brought powerful emotional responses from his soul. He was also an excellent pianist, but his weapon of choice,  pre-jump, was his voice, singing cadence. Despite holo myth, voices could not be picked up under stealth conditions in the air, and signing would not be heard. Two Troop grew to love the habit, and responded out of comfort. Most of them were adrenaline nuts, but none were psychopaths or sociopaths – those kinds of people always called selection – and they still felt fear.

“Dropship siting on the landing strip,”
      “Dropship sitting on the landing strip!”
      “Frogman daddy gon’ take a little trip,”
      “Frogman daddy gon’ take a little trip!”
      “Mission, top secret, destination unknown,”
      “Mission top secret, destination unknown!”
       “Don’t even know if we’re every coming home,”
      “Don’t even know if we’re ever coming home!”
      “We gon’ stand up and  hook up, shuffle to the door,”
       “We gon’ stand up and hook up, shuffle to the door!”
       “We gon’ step right out and count to four!”
       “We gon’ step right out and count four!”
      “If my chute don’t open wide,”
      “If my chute don’t open wide!”
      “Baby I got a reserve by my side!”
      “Baby I got a reserve by my side!”
      “And if that one don’t work too well,”
      “And if that one don’t work too well!”
      “I got a one way ticket to Hell!”
      “I got a one way ticket to Hell!
      “I’ll nod to Satan and stab Kurita through,”
      “I’ll nod at Satan and stab Kurita through!”
      “Then I’ll ****** his wife and his mamma too!”
      “Then I’ll ****** his wife and his mamma too!”
      “Sound off!”

Then the red light turned on and the Jump Master stood. Justin joined him, and the others rose, the Sea Fox Battle Armor suits in the front. Rob Irving would be the navigator tonight; with HAHO deployments, the jumpers formed a stack, with the lowest jumper serving as the navigator for the group. His Sea Fox carried a second GPS system and a beacon, and the Troop would follow, within close visual range of each other. This was due to the long “flight time” of HAHO; unlike HALO, where the drop time probably totaled about two minutes, HAHO descents usually hit the 45 minute mark. Being together and navigating were critical, especially with the brutal cold.

The troop stepped forward as one. Justin met all of their eyes, even the towering Sea Fox suits, and blinked back his own tears. I have never been more proud. Nodding, he turned and faced the black sky and the black ocean below as the doors opened.

Green light.

They stepped into the darkness.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2024, 10:23:11 by Katarn04 »

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #55 on: 26 June 2024, 10:24:38 »
Ok guys, from this point on, there is going to be a ton of violence. It’s a warning and a request: what do readers want to see from me here, given the general tone and my obvious Federated Suns bias?

PsihoKekec

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 27 June 2024, 00:44:58 »
Violence in BattleTech? What is this world coming to?

I can't speak for other readers, but I consider ultraviolence aimed at Kuritans to be fun reading.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #57 on: 27 June 2024, 03:24:03 »
Use the Alien movie as your template - what's inferred, but not shown, is usually more horrifying than explicitness.

"She jabbed at his face, hooked. He recoiled, screaming, and clutching his eyes. As she stepped forward, there was a wet squelch."

vs.

"She stuck her fingers in his right eyesocket, hooked her nail in, and pulled. 2.4lb of force was sufficient to rip the eye out of the socket, like a bloody cocktail onion, or bad pickled egg. He screamed and clutched at the bloody socket. She shook the eye off her finger to the ground, and stomped on it as she stepped forward. It burst like her opponent's morale - messily."

Same scene; I prefer the former :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #58 on: 27 June 2024, 06:43:30 »
Use the Alien movie as your template - what's inferred, but not shown, is usually more horrifying than explicitness.

"She jabbed at his face, hooked. He recoiled, screaming, and clutching his eyes. As she stepped forward, there was a wet squelch."

vs.

"She stuck her fingers in his right eyesocket, hooked her nail in, and pulled. 2.4lb of force was sufficient to rip the eye out of the socket, like a bloody cocktail onion, or bad pickled egg. He screamed and clutched at the bloody socket. She shook the eye off her finger to the ground, and stomped on it as she stepped forward. It burst like her opponent's morale - messily."

Same scene; I prefer the former :)

Bear with me, brother! I’m a little lost here. Is this just an example? The only eye gouge was Justin’s attempt on the Nekakami - it’s a fairly standard SOCP strike in that sort of encounter, themselves admittedly rare. She slipped that, and I didn’t mention the amount of required force, which is not 2.4 lbs lol. Was this just an example? I reread it and asked for help, and it didn’t read like the bottom paragraph, but I definitely appreciate the insight because I DO get very technical with my writing. I spent almost 21 years wearing a fun-colored beret or a high-cut, fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, the Horn of Africa etc….for almost the entirety of it, too, and I just finished a PhD, so technical is my default. I will absolutely use your advice because I feel I lose some readers.

With that said, many of the canon writers, and I love them, have no concept of how combat actually feels and flows, and how soldiers, especially elite soldiers, think and react. CQB, which is what I mostly deal with in this portion of the writing, is a game of inches, where one toe pushed slightly out of position can get you shot. The action flows like water, your team and you flow like water, but your brain operates in short, choppy steps as it pieces things together.

Katarn04

• Private
« Reply #59 on: 27 June 2024, 06:44:31 »
Violence in BattleTech? What is this world coming to?

I can't speak for other readers, but I consider ultraviolence aimed at Kuritans to be fun reading.

And this is why I love you.