Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration: Control, we have cleared the tower!  (Read 8334 times)

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
The Starliner needs to be renamed the Minnow.
Problem is their not lost, their held up.  If they ever name the second capsule, I doubt Boeing or NASA would let the crew name it the Minnow unless their not paying attention..
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
I thought it was a done deal that Starliner gets renamed The Flying Bathtub.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
What about Plummet? Or Hotel California?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Interesting news from Mars, apparently data from the old Mars Insight Lander indicates there a reservoir of liquid water under the surface.

The lander was design to listen to Mar's underground and the seismic signals received indicates there water way down below the surface.  The Report indicates that probe was measuring how fast seismic waves travel.  The techniques they used on Mars is the same as how water is determined on Earth, along with oil and gas.

Scientists believe the reservoir is 6 to 12 miles (10 to 20km) underground.

I read this report on the BBC News website.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Couldn't we just genetically-design plants that require more CO2 for photosynthesis, thereby reversing global-warming?

Interesting news from Mars, apparently data from the old Mars Insight Lander indicates there a reservoir of liquid water under the surface.

The lander was design to listen to Mar's underground and the seismic signals received indicates there water way down below the surface.  The Report indicates that probe was measuring how fast seismic waves travel.  The techniques they used on Mars is the same as how water is determined on Earth, along with oil and gas.

Scientists believe the reservoir is 6 to 12 miles (10 to 20km) underground.

And I will wager there are microbes there, similar to the ones ancient-Earth had(has)(with the same DNA due to cross-contamination, billions of years ago).

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Couldn't we just genetically-design plants that require more CO2 for photosynthesis, thereby reversing global-warming?

And I will wager there are microbes there, similar to the ones ancient-Earth had(has)(with the same DNA due to cross-contamination, billions of years ago).
I think the main issue is the radiation.  Mar's is lacking strong magnetic field.  Without global Magnetosphere, everything vulnerable to being sterilized.  The southern hemisphere possesses strong remanent magnetization.  Which essentially left over when the Mar's dynamic core was still spinning.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
I think the main issue is the radiation.  Mar's is lacking strong magnetic field.  Without global Magnetosphere, everything vulnerable to being sterilized.  The southern hemisphere possesses strong remanent magnetization.  Which essentially left over when the Mar's dynamic core was still spinning.

We need to send D.J. Qualls to get that core spinning again.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Aaand it's now official - Starliner is a lemon, and the crew will be returning on February's scheduled SpaceX crew change mission.

Starliner will make an uncrewed re-entry in September (they have to clear the docking port they're blocking, in case of any other problems). Given the service unit with the faulty thrusters will burn up, there's little more to be learned. Quote:

“If we had a model, if we had a way to accurately predict what the thrusters would do for the undock and all the way through the de-orbit burn and through the separation sequence, I think we would have taken a different course of action, but when we looked at the data and looked at the potential for thruster failures with a crew on board … it was just too much risk with the crew,”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/aug/24/nasa-astronauts-return-february-spacex

"If we had a model" ... they have obviously not been able to replicate the problem groundside. Gremlin or systemic failure? 2-3 more years testing may tell that tale. Assuming NASA doesn't stop funding ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Its too bad about the Boeing design. It would be better if there is competition for space, its the only way its going to grow and be more useful for the future.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Agreed, provided the competition isn't just gulping down funding.

Has Blue Origin shown any interest in getting into the ISS supply business?
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Can't the astronauts just ride down like Sandra Bullock in Gravity?

Radiation is an issue, but, like could have contaminated Mars when it had a magnetic-field and, subsequently, survives now underground. Or, Mars' microbes contaminated Earth, as Mars was probably more stable earlier than Earth.

Luciora

• Major
Something to chuckle over, while camping, and saw some particularly bright stars/planets while looking up on the way to the washroom.

Jupiter and Mars, and oh!  The moon's near Uranus!

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Looks like Polaris Dawn mission going NO WHERE.   Flight leader Booster B1062 had malfunction after it landed.  It essentially came down hard, landing legs may not had deployed fully.  Thus it tip over and went boom.  So Falcon 9 grounded again pending a investigation. 

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
James Webb Space Telescope picture of Jupiter.   Unique and beautiful at the same time.

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
What's with the poles?  If the sun was behind it, we wouldn't be able to see the clouds so clearly...

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
What's with the poles?  If the sun was behind it, we wouldn't be able to see the clouds so clearly...
I think that's how the infrared imager seeing Jupiter's Aurorae. Those auroras are both in the north and south poles.  That likely what imager picking up.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2024, 19:47:40 by Wrangler »

Daryk

• Major General
Hmmm... could be... thanks! :)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
And that's how a Predator, sees Jupiter.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Got to re-read "Meeting with Medusa" again ... pity JUICE isn't carrying any atmo probes.

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Starliner has landed safe and sound. (Spacenews.com)

Seems there (to me) nothing wrong with the capsule, it's just the service module.  Question now is there going be another test flight require try work out what's going on with service module before another manned flight happens.

Another question;  Is it safe enough to use the capsule/service module for human flight?

NASA seemed to have been spooked by all the problems the Starliner had, frankly rightfully to be concern.  They decided they didn't want risk the crew, given past events and losses.

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
This video came out, this is a youtuber channel called the Space Race.  This is not taking sides or blaming either side.  This video recounts history of the Starliner.   I do think it's actually pretty good.  This is not a pro-SpaceX thing.

Link here.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2024, 15:22:25 by Wrangler »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Seems there (to me) nothing wrong with the capsule, it's just the service module.

No, if you reread the article carefully, one of the monoprop thrusters in the crew module also failed:

One of 12 separate thrusters on the crew module also did not work in tests before reentry. Stich said those thrusters are a different design from those on the service module and it wasn’t clear why it failed.

In some ways, that’s more worrisome than the biprop thrusters on the service module, which Aerojet Rocketdyne probably just used the wrong sealant on (Teflon instead of Kalrez).  Monoprop is supposed to be more fail-safe and shouldn’t have the same sealant issue.

Add in Starliner’s helium leaks and what we’re seeing out of Boeing on the EUS for SLS, and the monoprop thruster failure seems to fit the overall pattern of sloppy work out of Boeing these days.  Very worrisome.

Another question;  Is it safe enough to use the capsule/service module for human flight?

NASA will have to do more analysis and testing to get at root causes and determine whether the qualification requires flight testing or can be done on the ground.  Several TBDs...

NASA seemed to have been spooked by all the problems the Starliner had, frankly rightfully to be concern.

It’s a simple rule — fly like you test.  NASA couldn’t determine from the ground whether Calypso was flying like they had tested, so they didn’t risk the astronauts on the return trip.  With Challenger and Columbia, NASA did not fly like they had tested and 14 astronauts paid the price.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Major General
When companies start reducing engineering margins in favor of profits, regulators MUST step in.

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I do think NASA did right thing, Boeing not the company it was prior to the MD merge.  These last couple years were pretty telling.  Which is troubling.

Wrangler

• Lieutenant General
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Perseverance rover took a picture of a interesting piece of rock September 13th.

This was found in Jezero crater, where there suspected was running water at one point.  I've not read anything about rock being investigated by rover yet.  It would be interesting to see if its old enough it having been there when the water was still flowing.

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
Perseverance rover took a picture of a interesting piece of rock September 13th.
Looks like brand new. There is no dust on it.
(+)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Looks like brand new. There is no dust on it.
Those darker stripes could be dust stuck on rougher surfaces.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Daryk

• Major General
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/magical-equation-unites-quantum-physics-einstein-s-general-relativity-in-a-first/ar-AA1qaihF?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=d59423744a7948f1a3b3fba350c64eae&ei=29

A stab at a GUT?  Or just an error in the math that has yet to be discovered?
Probably the latter, but only time will tell... this isn't the first time a stab has been taken at a GUT.