Author Topic: MegaStrike 0.1 pre-alpha Release (For real, this time!)  (Read 275 times)

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
I suspect most people thought this had died. It turns out that 80 hour weeks are not conducive to side projects. Who knew! But the semester began to run down two weeks ago and I have (finally) got something that (almost) works (if you squint at it just right)!

Here it is! https://github.com/jonathanabennett/megastrike/releases/tag/v0.1.0-pre-alpha

There should be working executables you can download to run the game. Sorry they are so large, they include all the images and assets. Should you want to install manually, follow these steps

For Windows:
1) Install Java, Clojure, and Leiningen: https://applab.unc.edu/posts/2019/09/11/how-to-install-clojure-on-windows/
2) Download the Github repository
3) cd into the directory and type: lein run

For MacOS and Linux:
1) Install Java, Clojure, and Leiningen on your computer
2) Download the GitHub Repository
3) cd into the directory and type: lein run

What works:
  • The Lobby (exported from MegaMek) will let you build two forces of whatever size you want or just load a test game I've created for... testing
  • The Game view will let you deploy, move, and shoot on a flat, featureless plain.
What will work next:
  • Loading and saving games. I would especially like to support the scenario format from MegaMek, but initially it will be a custom format.
  • A working Windows Executable build
  • Terrain (first for show, then for movement, finally for combat)
What is ages away from working:
  • An AI opponent
  • Network Play
  • Flying units (VTOLs included)

If something isn't working, please open a GitHub Issue so I can try to address it: https://github.com/jonathanabennett/megastrike/issues
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: MegaStrike 0.1 pre-alpha Release (For real, this time!)
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2024, 15:53:12 »
I can report that I was able to install lein and get the game to come up on Windows, much easier process than anything before. I tried the executable as well, but it makes Windows Defender absolutely flip its lid (specifically reporting that it contains malware identified as Wacatac.B!ml) . That's probably not your fault, it loves to give false positives with .exes, especially if it's not "well known" software.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2024, 16:06:16 by Lanceman »
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
Re: MegaStrike 0.1 pre-alpha Release (For real, this time!)
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2024, 08:47:06 »
I can report that I was able to install lein and get the game to come up on Windows, much easier process than anything before. I tried the executable as well, but it makes Windows Defender absolutely flip its lid (specifically reporting that it contains malware identified as Wacatac.B!ml) . That's probably not your fault, it loves to give false positives with .exes, especially if it's not "well known" software.

Ok, the windows defender thing is useful to know. I'll research how to report that as a false positive.

In the dev branch, I just got camo working and the next step is parsing scenario files (which I almost have). Then terrain and the vehicle movement modes.

I expect this to be a productive summer as the usual things I fill my time with fell through so I'm going to focus almost exclusively on this.
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.