Poll

How Many Explsives Can You Afford, Per 30m?

It's Got'a Be a Twenty
5 (100%)
Just Get to Twenty, Within Four Turns
0 (0%)
Only Infantry is Cheap Enough
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Quick'n Dirty Mine Removeal  (Read 582 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Quick'n Dirty Mine Removeal
« on: 27 May 2024, 18:37:55 »
 :undecided: The Age Old Question: How do you handle a minefield, once detected where you can lest afford it?

… I can only hope you didn't just find it by mistake.
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Quick'n Dirty Mine Removeal
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2024, 18:54:11 »
Do I have enough missile boats on hand? Plough the field.
(artillery is a subclass of this case.)

Do I have a useful quantity of jumpers? Go over.

Am I CCAF? Penal battalions.

Otherwise? Go around if possible.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2024, 18:59:39 »
Anyone remember if it has to be LRMs? Would a MRM-30 get the job done?
Goose

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2024, 19:36:13 »
An MRM-30 would be in fact usable to clear mines as is an RL-20, artillery, or Mine Clearance Missiles (SRM or LRM) if you have them. My preference is to go around or through with an Assault Mech. Its only leg damage and not a huge threat, more psychological than anything practical, armor is cheaper than ammo and we can get the combat engineers to clean it up afterward.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2024, 19:39:51 »
Anyone remember if it has to be LRMs? Would a MRM-30 get the job done?

LRM-20s, ATM-12s firing standard or HE,  ATM-9s firing HE, MRM-30s or 40s(maybe 20s, I forget). I forget if RL-20s can do it.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2024, 22:30:39 »
Any missile system that can put out 20 points of damage in a single salvo clears it, IIRC.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2024, 00:28:52 »
While there is special ordinance that will help out, clearing mines with artillery, one advanced rule for another, is probably the most effective just cause of how OP artillery is as an anti-everything tool.  Artillery place minefields countered by other artillery seems par for the course for the only tool to deal with artillery being artillery lol.

In lore, I think the RL20 and MRM20 as dedicated mine removal rocket systems makes a ton of sense based on using cheap ammo in a small package thats still useful in a fight, and would have allowed those classes of weapons to really shine/have a purpose.  But then they made mine clearance ammo, and that advanced ammo just ruins any point to bringing 20 racks for mine duty, by letting swaths of small launchers clear mines by the half dozen.

In games, heavy or assault things moving first to find the mines is the strat I use.  There is anti-jump mines so jumping over isnt always gonna work.  Mines are best used in my games to cover the rear and screen lights.  Using BSP mines I have got the leg damage to stop a 30 ton light from getting my backfield objective quickly via the direct route, and I have used them offensively to mine the hex where my rear would be in a midfield woods firepoint on the map, so the light/medium backstabber runs into mines when going for the rear shot, which can cause a PSR and make them fall out of arc, saving my big shooty mech from the backstab.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2024, 03:29:14 »
In Order On Board Arrow IV  .

Off Board Long Tom

The Unit varient of the Pegasus Scout down grades the SRM 6s to SRM4s and has 2 tons of Ammo one of which is mine clearing if I have no or poor intel on the mission .  I have 3 sweeping in advance  of the unit one of the 3 has a good chance on detecting mines .

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2024, 15:04:05 »
We have something about hovers being an exception to ground-bound units triggering landmines?
Goose

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2024, 15:13:43 »
They don't trigger mines very easily, but it's still possible for them to do so. How often do *your* opponents roll 12s when it would hurt you the most? :cool:
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2024, 06:28:38 »
Just shoot the HE rounds of artillery would be enough. Else, you can call your dropship and either crush those minefield, or just ride it and move over the minefield.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2024, 03:51:00 »
The Quote  "  A mine field detected when ypu can least afford it . " Presumes one of two things . The first you were fed very old or false intel and you did not have 3 active probes  with you and find out about it when you walk into one .

In the first example you aren't equipped to properly detect and clear it . Sonthe least bad option is single file conga line with heaviest leg armor first . Use pavement whenever possible as fascam is visible and obvious and Command Control mines can only set off once .

Second you went in cold or had solid intel about the mines and have made contingencies for it .

Register