Author Topic: The Khans of Blake  (Read 754 times)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
The Khans of Blake
« on: 23 June 2024, 11:58:45 »
Given a joyful discussion about a merging of the Home Clans and the Manei Domini
(https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61902.msg2016534#msg2016534)

I think we could continue in this thread.

How would that work?
Clans and WoB are even less likely to merge than Davions and Liaos, they are incompatible on every level and religiously hostile to each other
I really don't know where people get this idea of those two doing anything together

Think of the Inner sphere as ex lover and both Home Clans and Manei Domini as ex girlfriends.
Both were betrayed by their ex (as they understand the issue, they have not done anything wrong), and now they are very angry.
You know what angry ex girlfriends are capable of?

And if they get in touch with other, understand thart they have a common enemy, they might combine their "forces" ...

BTW both Comstar/WoB and the Clans do have a common past: both are the ancestors of the first Star League. Both tried to save/revive the Star League, both failed due the unrelenting crimes and treason of the Inner Sphere people.

-------------

So this new power would have the technological edge of both the Clans and WoB. Frightening  :evil:
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: The Khans of Blake
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2024, 15:49:37 »
Both factions also have great reverence - cults of personality, really - for their founders. There is potential for a Father, Spirit, Son trinity here with Aleks Kerensky, Jerry Blake, and Nicky Kerensky, respectively. I'm thinking such a religion would start as a deliberate syncretizing of the two cults, but would gradually develop into a more-formal faith, complete with sermons in High Domini.

The culture would likely remain predominately Clan-based, with the Word of Blake slotting mostly into the Technician and Scientist castes. The Manei Domini could form a parallel armed force; they wouldn't have standing in the Hall of Khans, but could supplant the Watch (and they'd be much better at it). The Word could also make up an entirely new caste devoted to religious pursuits. The Cloud Cobras are the most likely to support this.

The military would be fearsome, indeed. Interface cockpits combined with Clan-spec weapons are scary enough in the Parash 3 and Stormcrow III; adding in Blakist cyberwear would be terrifying. For narrative purposes this would have to be limited in some way, so perhaps the concept of the 800 is brought back in a slightly different way: each Clan has ~150ish elite warriors, each with both a Bloodname and an Ascended name. There would be plenty of "lesser" warriors of course, and given the Manei Domini belief that the first sacrifice of flesh must be in battle, these guys are going to be absolutely headstrong. Maybe they'd even prefer light and medium 'Mechs, heavy on speed and guns but light on armor.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2024, 12:46:07 »
I would include the "MD" into the ranks of the warrior caste.
There might be a limited number of Ascended names, each stands for something unique and to get this Ascended name awarded they have to fight a Trial of Ascension.

Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2024, 14:50:46 »
Given a joyful discussion about a merging of the Home Clans and the Manei Domini
(https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61902.msg2016534#msg2016534)

I think we could continue in this thread.

Think of the Inner sphere as ex lover and both Home Clans and Manei Domini as ex girlfriends.
Both were betrayed by their ex (as they understand the issue, they have not done anything wrong), and now they are very angry.
You know what angry ex girlfriends are capable of?

And if they get in touch with other, understand thart they have a common enemy, they might combine their "forces" ...

BTW both Comstar/WoB and the Clans do have a common past: both are the ancestors of the first Star League. Both tried to save/revive the Star League, both failed due the unrelenting crimes and treason of the Inner Sphere people.

-------------

So this new power would have the technological edge of both the Clans and WoB. Frightening  :evil:

You clearly don't know how ex girlfriends function

Ex girlfriends don't become buddies, they simply keep trying to get back with ex boyfriend and in the process they will be trash talking (or worse) the other ex girlfriend

ComStar and Clans tried to restore Star League

Word of Blake came into existence with sole reason of genociding Clans

There's no scenario where these two groups interact in any other way than trying to exterminate each other on sight

Home Clans severed links with rest of mankind in 3090-ish, they know everything about WoB and they will kill them on sight

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2024, 00:27:47 »
This is incredibly far-fetched but it would be a good fan fiction or thought exercise for sure. 

How about if the Manei Domini who wished to do so could fight Trials of Position, and form their own galaxies. 

Also...  they would do this only in certain Clans, and not necessarily the strongest.

They would avoid the Wolves, Falcons, and Bears.  I think they would join the Blood Spirits first (because irony rules), then the Snow Ravens, half of the Kindraa, and the Diamond Sharks would press for their own deal with WoB and eventually get it done. 

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2024, 00:30:48 »
The Adders would also be like "we were slow about adopting the Elemental.  Let us not be slow about this!" 

They would want into the Blake club, and then push to shut anyone else out who was not already in and try to create a power block in the GC.  The WoBly Clans.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2024, 00:34:47 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2024, 01:34:27 »
This is incredibly far-fetched but it would be a good fan fiction or thought exercise for sure. 

How about if the Manei Domini who wished to do so could fight Trials of Position, and form their own galaxies. 

Also...  they would do this only in certain Clans, and not necessarily the strongest.

They would avoid the Wolves, Falcons, and Bears.  I think they would join the Blood Spirits first (because irony rules), then the Snow Ravens, half of the Kindraa, and the Diamond Sharks would press for their own deal with WoB and eventually get it done. 
The Adders would also be like "we were slow about adopting the Elemental.  Let us not be slow about this!" 

They would want into the Blake club, and then push to shut anyone else out who was not already in and try to create a power block in the GC.  The WoBly Clans.

Holy cats!

WoB would meet the Society sooner rather than later.  I think WoB would protect the Society's existence and they would exchange notes for technology and science in general.

These three responses from me combined would be a really fun divergence from canon.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2024, 20:43:56 by rebs »

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2024, 09:42:18 »
they might even form their own Clan ... Clan Star Sword ...

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2024, 20:31:57 »
they might even form their own Clan ... Clan Star Sword ...

That's not how you name a Clan

Clan Star Swordfish, that's how you name a Clan

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2024, 20:48:48 »
As a total aside, I’m betting Jennifer Winston would go on and on about different furry critters she just adored, night after night.  Her, sitting there on the bed with her cat ear headband talking about critters in the air, ocean, forests and even those Burrocks how inspiring they would be, etc.  And Nicky with glazed over eyes, nodding like a bobble head….

Between that constant overly-cute rambling and the damage caused by the Eden Brain Fever, it was a highly effective furry brainwashing.

Just as Jenifer Winston knew it would be.   :mafiosi:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2024, 03:06:37 »
@ both Gaiiten and ColBosch:

I have in my AU, Manei Domini lead Society merge.

Treys of Ares SH, each built with Mix-tech and using Uns of Protomechs with MagClamps. Using both NOVA CEWS and c3i amongst their formations, mostly Infantry cyber-implants.

I mean, can you imagine a Sept of Vehicle Choir?

7 vehicles and 3 Infantry Points each, in a Un Choir... times 3 per Trey Choir, add another Trey Choir and a Command Un Choir.

Yeah, I've gone off the deep end... but still.

Makes you wonder if the magic carp was smoked or raw filet, don't it?

TT

Oh and add in another Sept of "Support", 2 Treys of Mechs and a Aero Un.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2024, 03:08:18 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2024, 06:16:53 »
Besides, I wonder what access the Home Clans did have on WoB technologies.
The Scorpions captured Waypoint 531, an WoB outpost (preparation for the Homeworlds invasion) captured by the Dark Caste. There were still a cache with WoB tech left.
While the Dark Caste (The Jaguar) took half of it, the Scorpions captured the other half.

The Star Adders later killed the Jaguar and (very likely) captured some of the tech.

Maybe even a Memory Core might have captured by the Scorpions and/or Star Adders.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2024, 06:41:21 »
Just FYI, I have one thread down in Fan Fiction already ("Together in the Dark") for my take on how the Blakist remnants made contact with the Homeworld Clans, and I'm planning on doing a second thread for sourcebook-style information. It won't fully match Gaiiten's vision, nor do I mean it to dominate the conversation, it's just my own thoughts.

My concept is that both the Blakists and HW Clans are seeing their societies stagnate and become unstable. The capture of Terra by Alaric is the precipitating event: suddenly, both the Third Transfer and Hidden Hope doctrines have been firmly nullified. There is a new Star League centered around an ilClan, and neither the Word of Blake nor the traditionalist Clans can ever be a part of it. I've moved my musings to Fan Fiction because what I think would be the end result of such a merger can't really be called "Clan" anymore. Also, because it's actually fan fiction and not discussions of canon. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Register