Author Topic: Rattler and support crew and other questions.  (Read 969 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Rattler and support crew and other questions.
« Reply #30 on: 12 July 2024, 00:09:41 »
Completely overthinking the art: The Mammoth is a big ship. It's diameter (at the widest part, I assume) is given as 277m, that's a circumference of 870 meters. looking at the size of the cargo doors below the engine gondolas, those might just be big enough to actually fit a Rattler through (or maybe it's a bit to narrow, but within reasonable customization range. You may need to remove the turrets, but that's where that loading time comes in again.
That was where I was at, looking at the art & a rough guess at dimensions based on the width, yeah, its just about exactly the size of a Rattler at 90m*42m
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: Rattler and support crew and other questions.
« Reply #31 on: 13 July 2024, 13:42:48 »
Perhaps we were underestimate mammoth..

So I had to go read up on the Argo.
  It's definitely not modular.

The one that got transported in pieces was a 1 off.
The ship had been damaged so badly it was due going to be scuttled.
Instead a Naval Merc unit sold off some mechs they had captured & did some back room deal shenanigans to buy the old hulk instead of it being scuttled & sunk.

It was already ripped to shreds so they cut it into sections (not modular, just flat out cut it to pieces).
Shipped it, and then, when it got to where they wanted it, it took them 3 months of repairs to get it seaworthy again.   (Honestly, I'm surprised it was that quick, LOL)

When the unit was due to move, the planetary government was trying to buy it off them so it wouldn't have to be moved again.

But like I said in my first post, the Rattler appears about the same size to fit in a Mammoth door w/o being taken apart.
Assuming someone could somehow get a Rattler off the WoB or the RotS government.  (yeah right) 
I do wonder if any of them somehow survived on any TH world outside of the dozen on Terra.

Anyway it's correct that argo isn't something like modular ship, and the case I have mentioned was simply get the divided parts and reassemble on elsewhere, which indeed takes some hard work to be complete.

Also, for surviving ones? Maybe there are one or two? There is no must, after all, you know. It's unlikely that the coalition force are actively utilize those during the purge of the blakist, but the chance is higher for the lords of the liberated planets. I don't think that the rate is high, for I wonder that someone can neutralize it so easily without make it no more than a ruin, but consider its size it may have some remaining parts to be usable.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2024, 13:49:34 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »