Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 7: Inbound From Jump Point  (Read 43196 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 7: Inbound From Jump Point
« Reply #360 on: 23 July 2024, 14:48:33 »
A gentleman on CGL's bad side (so I won't mention the name) ordered and received an ISSBA box from Amazon, did an unboxing & review on YouTube.

I haven't even received my shipping email yet, but KS products are already up for retail.  Suffice to say, I'm not happy at the moment.

The only way someone could have gotten a box from this Kickstarter via Amazon is if someone who was a backer was turning around and scalping through Amazon.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #361 on: 23 July 2024, 14:59:06 »
It was being sold by Amazon, and got taken down after a few orders were placed.  Simplest explanation is they accidentally broke street date and fixed it when it was pointed out.  Similar to the mess-up with Encounters: BattleTech and B&N where the change in street date wasn't communicated.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

thedancingjoker

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #362 on: 23 July 2024, 18:49:58 »
Well, new update came out and said that 13 orders of that forcepack were sold on Amazon before the street date error was corrected.

Also, apparently we are only 1/3rd of the way through shipping orders, meanign the shipping process will be taking around three months total, which seems long to me, but admittedly I only have experienced this from the consumer end.  Still other companies has distriution systems that can do MUCH better with big pre-orders.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #363 on: 23 July 2024, 18:56:45 »
Do those companies regularly handle preorders for as many different items at one time as we see with all the force packs and extras?

Also, there's always a chance that things will speed up as time goes on.  Not necessarily a high chance, but it could happen.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Teejay75

• Sergeant
  • Omega Lead wannabe
« Reply #364 on: 23 July 2024, 19:46:27 »
Maybe I’ll get mine by Halloween. :undecided:
Edit: After reading the transcript for the Newsday stream, QML should at least have my order, so that’s encouraging. Maybe I’ll get an email sooner rather than later. As far as the Amazon kerfuful, while it’s really not CGL’s fault, I fear it’s going to be another black eye for them perception wise. I’m really glad that they’re not going to be doing any more big kickstarters moving forward. The way a segment of the backers has freaked out has really been depressing.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2024, 20:03:55 by Teejay75 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #365 on: 23 July 2024, 19:49:20 »
See, I got my confirmation email on the 12th . . . and I have not gotten a shipping notice.

Just out of curiosity- those notices come in the morning?  I keep checking my email at work during the day and never did that before . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

General308

• Captain
« Reply #366 on: 23 July 2024, 21:57:37 »
The only way someone could have gotten a box from this Kickstarter via Amazon is if someone who was a backer was turning around and scalping through Amazon.

You might want to look at the most recent Kickstarter Update because it go up for sale on Amazon and a small number of copies were sold.  13 to be exact

Also seems that cookbook isn't original at all and has real issues

General308

• Captain
« Reply #367 on: 23 July 2024, 21:59:22 »
It was being sold by Amazon, and got taken down after a few orders were placed.  Simplest explanation is they accidentally broke street date and fixed it when it was pointed out.  Similar to the mess-up with Encounters: BattleTech and B&N where the change in street date wasn't communicated.

While it is the simplest explanation for this to happen twice with products on this is a really bad look for CGL.  Even more so when you remember what happened with the Shadow run product a few years back

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #368 on: 24 July 2024, 01:30:51 »
See, I got my confirmation email on the 12th . . . and I have not gotten a shipping notice.

Just out of curiosity- those notices come in the morning?  I keep checking my email at work during the day and never did that before . . .

My shipping email came 15 days after the address confirmation, and 12 days after the Address lock, near the end of day on the East Cost, about 4:30 PM EDT.  Tracking number was made the day before, and I received the email after it was picked up by FedEx.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2024, 01:35:54 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #369 on: 24 July 2024, 04:34:28 »
Yep; from update, it looks very much like my shipping window will very much intercept the week I'm away. Typical. Whelp, no pont making the daily Backerkit checks, though now.

Though CGL seem to getting as many naturals 1s as I am (and worse as in this one specific instance, mine is only an annoyance), with the unfortunate mess on the cookbook and that Amazon bog-up.

Be nice if things (anything, anywhere) went without everything being on fire at least once wouldn't it?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #370 on: 24 July 2024, 06:22:03 »
While it is the simplest explanation for this to happen twice with products on this is a really bad look for CGL.  Even more so when you remember what happened with the Shadow run product a few years back

Major retailers breaking the street date for a new product has nothing to do with CGL.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #371 on: 24 July 2024, 07:18:53 »
Amazon sellers have been doing this for years, I honestly don't trust anything on Amazon that hasn't been vetted elsewhere.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #372 on: 24 July 2024, 09:10:12 »
Amazon sellers have been doing this for years, I honestly don't trust anything on Amazon that hasn't been vetted elsewhere.

The Inner Sphere Battle Armor Platoon that was up on Amazon was Sold By and Ships From Amazon.  It was not a third-party seller (those are on eBay).

General308

• Captain
« Reply #373 on: 24 July 2024, 09:41:38 »
Major retailers breaking the street date for a new product has nothing to do with CGL.

Sure it does.  Those retailers don't have the product unless CGL releases it from the distributor.  Or CGL is not being really clear with their distributor about the release dates for product.   Which frankly is more  important CGL is clear with Kickstarter stuff than normal stuff

General308

• Captain
« Reply #374 on: 24 July 2024, 09:42:26 »

It wasn't an Amazon seller it was direct through Amazon which is why those of us that saw it were shocked

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #375 on: 24 July 2024, 09:56:33 »
...wait. Folks were shocked to see a megacorp ignore an agreement made with a smaller party when the chance arose to make a bit of money?

Quite frankly, I find the idea that anyone was shocked...to be incredibly shocking.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #376 on: 24 July 2024, 10:01:10 »
I see absolutely no problem with the fact that 13 - in words: thirteen - packs were mistakenly available early outside of the Kickstarter. CGL has made sure that no more are released prematurely. What more could you want? That no mistakes happen? Where people work, mistakes happen! Those who are free of their own fault...

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #377 on: 24 July 2024, 10:06:41 »
Sure it does.  Those retailers don't have the product unless CGL releases it from the distributor.  Or CGL is not being really clear with their distributor about the release dates for product.   Which frankly is more  important CGL is clear with Kickstarter stuff than normal stuff

I mean... yeah... Kickstarter products were always going to end up in the hands of retails since that was the whole point of all of this. You get the products to the retailers while you're getting products to the the backers so the retailers can start selling as quickly as possible once the street date hits.

None of that leads to CGL being at fault for one of the biggest companies in human history ignoring the street date and accidentally selling a handful of products earlier than they were supposed to.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #378 on: 24 July 2024, 10:11:51 »
I mean... yeah... Kickstarter products were always going to end up in the hands of retails since that was the whole point of all of this. You get the products to the retailers while you're getting products to the the backers so the retailers can start selling as quickly as possible once the street date hits.

None of that leads to CGL being at fault for one of the biggest companies in human history ignoring the street date and accidentally selling a handful of products earlier than they were supposed to.

That is why you don't put it in the hands of retailers before backers.  That is CGL choice to do that or to wait to give them the product till they ship the kickstarter.  Sorry BT CGL is the one at fault for making that decision.  CGL and CGL alone.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #379 on: 24 July 2024, 10:13:39 »
That is why you don't put it in the hands of retailers before backers.    That is CGL choice to do that or to wait to give them the product till they ship the kickstarter.  Sorry BT CGL is the one at fault for making that decision.  CGL and CGL alone.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #380 on: 24 July 2024, 10:17:59 »
That is why you don't put it in the hands of retailers before backers. 

Why would they back a Kickstarter if they could just cut out all of the hassle and buy it from their FLGS or online from Amazon or eBay?
« Last Edit: 24 July 2024, 10:48:38 by Ghaz »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #381 on: 24 July 2024, 10:22:59 »
That is why you don't put it in the hands of retailers before backers.  That is CGL choice to do that or to wait to give them the product till they ship the kickstarter.  Sorry BT CGL is the one at fault for making that decision.  CGL and CGL alone.

They aren't, but this exchange doesn't seem to be going anywhere productive, so I'll let someone else take over.

Gotthammer

• Private
« Reply #382 on: 24 July 2024, 11:24:11 »
I've worked for companies that have broken street date for products supplied to them, and currently work for a multinational retailer where we had issues with our own stores breaking street date on our own product. 99% of the time it comes down to people not having the space to store stuff in a warehouse indefinitely - Liya wouldn't hold Amazon's order forever, and CGL wouldn't have the space either. Cheapest solution is ship it to Amazon and make it their problem to store.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #383 on: 24 July 2024, 11:34:16 »

Let me explain how distribution works in the real world. Warehouses cost money. The vast majority of companies cannot afford to maintain their own warehouses, so they rent space as needed, such as when a big production run arrives from overseas. The goal is to minimize the amount of money spent on overhead like warehousing, so you want to move your product from the warehouse to the distributors (who *do* own their own warehouses) as fast as possible.

Amazon is a special case. They are a retailer, but they are also huge enough to be their own distribution network. Infamously so, if you've ever seen any news about them. So as soon as you can, you want to ship to them. They're usually great about street dates, especially when it comes to toys, since so many are released in the Christmas season. (Whatever this year's Hot New Toy is, it's already in Amazon's warehouses.) There is no point to *not* shipping to them early, except in the handful of cases where something slips through the system and gets listed ahead of time. A CGL product just happened to pull the short straw this time.

It's no big deal. It just seems like a huge problem to people who are paying too much attention to all this.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #384 on: 24 July 2024, 13:07:27 »
If 13 people gettng thier subpar battle armor before the rest of us is the worst thing to happen this whole kickstarter, I'd call it a success.

Way better than another kickstarter I backed in April 2022 that hopes to deliver this November.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #385 on: 24 July 2024, 13:40:24 »

Haven't gotten anything in several months.  The old emails i have that go into backer kit say everything is good.  We'll see what happens.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #386 on: 24 July 2024, 14:15:37 »
I do not feel good about my 200 dollars worth of shipping charges  :blank:
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #387 on: 24 July 2024, 16:30:04 »
Let me explain how distribution works in the real world. Warehouses cost money. The vast majority of companies cannot afford to maintain their own warehouses, so they rent space as needed, such as when a big production run arrives from overseas. The goal is to minimize the amount of money spent on overhead like warehousing, so you want to move your product from the warehouse to the distributors (who *do* own their own warehouses) as fast as possible.

Amazon is a special case. They are a retailer, but they are also huge enough to be their own distribution network. Infamously so, if you've ever seen any news about them. So as soon as you can, you want to ship to them. They're usually great about street dates, especially when it comes to toys, since so many are released in the Christmas season. (Whatever this year's Hot New Toy is, it's already in Amazon's warehouses.) There is no point to *not* shipping to them early, except in the handful of cases where something slips through the system and gets listed ahead of time. A CGL product just happened to pull the short straw this time.

It's no big deal. It just seems like a huge problem to people who are paying too much attention to all this.

I would agree it is no big deal except for two things.  Battletech Encounters and Shadowrun sprawl ops.   This isn't a one of situation were CGL has had this sort of problem.  Now than goodness in this case people who saw it spoke up even though those people were told they were crazy.  Because if not it would still be for sale.  But because people spoke up yea at lest it got caught fast.   

General308

• Captain
« Reply #388 on: 24 July 2024, 16:43:42 »
If 13 people gettng thier subpar battle armor before the rest of us is the worst thing to happen this whole kickstarter, I'd call it a success.

Way better than another kickstarter I backed in April 2022 that hopes to deliver this November.

Leviathan?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #389 on: 24 July 2024, 16:48:39 »
Leviathan?

No, an RPG I backed.  Which, in my opinion, is worse because it's just books.  Especially since another RPG I backed this May delivered its PDFs the same day as the two year old one.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Register