Author Topic: Real Life Laser AMS!  (Read 253 times)

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
Real Life Laser AMS!
« on: 14 July 2024, 03:25:10 »
South Korea has developed an actual laser Anti Missile System.
https://x.com/mason_8718/status/1811373267976163347

The footage is unreal.

Frabby

• Major
Re: Real Life Laser AMS!
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2024, 04:00:22 »
Not only anti-missile. The real kicker on the modern battlefield is that this system can zap drones for (reportedly) under two bucks a shot. That is a gamechanger in a world where shooting down a drone is currently more expensive than building the thing.

Of course, the drawback of the system is that you need to hook it up to a really solid power line. We have Laser AMS now but fusion power is still 40-ish years out.  :rolleyes:
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2024, 05:56:34 »
I'm paraphrasing a quote from the Fringe thread, "once laser anti-air systems are developed, aircraft become scarce on the battlefield."  This just set the bar for entry.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2024, 06:48:49 »
The Israelis were working on one for years... I'll believe this one is operationally deployed when I see it.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2024, 07:30:30 »
This is the new arms-race of our time, expect a lot of developments in this decade.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2024, 07:58:21 »
The British Dragonfire is supposed to deployed by 2027 time will tell I guess
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2024, 08:18:12 »
Even if the power issue isn't fully settled, it's still a great plus for fixed installations and massive targets with integral power sources (coughaircraft carriercough).

Energy storage density is always gonna be a pain.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2024, 08:51:09 »
Lasers on ships have other challenges too... the Navy has been working on them for over a decade.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2024, 19:30:55 »
I know from experience that, lasers AMS can only engage one volley of TVLGs at a time.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2024, 20:55:33 »
Not sure about laser AMS, but Vulcans can defend against nearly as many TVLGs as they want, with diminishing chances, of course. Or are we not bringing Renegade Lengion into this?

As Kamas alluded, once these types of systems get on-line, we will start to get back to our roots: the Ogreverse and Slammerverse. I can't wait. Good times in those places.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2024, 00:18:14 »
I feel like that's fine for a drone, but I'm not sure how well it works against something moving fast or even dodging.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2024, 00:48:29 »
I think both the South Korean and the Israeli systems are primarily intended to stop "nuisance attacks" more than repell an artillery barrage. A small number of simple rockets or drones.

E.g. Ukraine could really have used such systems against Shaheed (sp?) Drones, but would still have needed something heavier to take down an Iskander.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2024, 01:17:39 »
I think I want to see some actual data on how these perform in real-world conditions before celebrating.  Especially how they perform in things like rain and fog- I have a feeling that that will be a big test for them.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2024, 00:29:10 »
The Turkish laser system supposedly already saw use against drones in Libya, but there is no independent confirmation on that.
Shoot first, laugh later.