Author Topic: need an updated workstation/laptop  (Read 195 times)

elf25s

• Major
need an updated workstation/laptop
« on: 27 August 2024, 17:53:13 »
over past 15 years i had used hp 8770w workstations
i had used 2 both had died after serving me well
both had unique feature that i cannot seem to find anywhere...both had 2 hd sata bays with option to turn cd/dvd rom into a hd caddy.....that is what they got me hooked on
is there another model out  there that has ability to have 2 hd build in?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Re: need an updated workstation/laptop
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2024, 20:04:59 »
They make retractable cup-holders:

Actually, I'd just go to a Computer Repair-Shop and check out refurbished laptops.   Last one I got, the one I'm typing on, for $100 (2008 Dell) in 2014.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2024, 20:41:02 »
that pic...it brought back some bad and i mean bad memories when i did pc supporting the 90s
i am still traumatized over this in particular...
i just walked out of the call center and screamed so hard i could not speak for 2 weeks...after i came back i quit.

ok had easy and difficult issues but this one was a ...i have no words ...spent 2 hours with this woman telling me that her coffee cup tray on her computer broke....2 bloody god forsaken satan spawned hours,,,,
nope never again there is only so much one can take of human stupidity without either going insane or worshiping elder creatures in order to end the world to get rid of the stupid
and yes my right eye still twitches from anger over that one
« Last Edit: 28 August 2024, 20:50:15 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2024, 21:48:09 »
over past 15 years i had used hp 8770w workstations
i had used 2 both had died after serving me well
both had unique feature that i cannot seem to find anywhere...both had 2 hd sata bays with option to turn cd/dvd rom into a hd caddy.....that is what they got me hooked on
is there another model out  there that has ability to have 2 hd build in?

Oh gosh I'm not sure that'd be common, especially since everything switched over to M.2 with alacrity.  :undecided:
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2024, 10:00:24 »
i like having 2 because i can use linux and windows without them being on one drive
once i had both and it was a mess.
on one i had a third hd for storage and back up only and i found it unweildly to use
personally i just like the hardware and flexibility it offers on hp 8770w workstation. i can swap hd to make it into a gaming laptop
and with docking station into a media powerhouse. one time i used one of the machines as both projector and music machine for my friends party with 6ft tall speakers and a projector control with no issues...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: Today at 20:18:22 »
You've got a better shot finding a workstation that can accommodate two M.2 sticks, tbh, and I would gear your search towards that unless you really truly must have a mechanical drive. In that case, I would search for used and vintage older laptops.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: Today at 20:38:16 »
You've got a better shot finding a workstation that can accommodate two M.2 sticks, tbh, and I would gear your search towards that unless you really truly must have a mechanical drive. In that case, I would search for used and vintage older laptops.
hp elite 8770w workstaton has two hd bays which i swapped years ago for ssd. there is an option to swap cd/dvd rom to another hd ssd
i am looking for similar machine with 2 hd bays and at least i7 proccessor or higher...amd seems it does not like me
i need two because i use both windows and linux os on 2 seperate drives. why not one? tech issues and i found out early on they sometimes cross each other than i have to untangle them. also its cheaper than having two pcs

Register