Author Topic: The Mercenaries Rulebook and Battlefield Support.  (Read 321 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
The Mercenaries Rulebook and Battlefield Support.
« on: 12 September 2024, 14:17:27 »
First off sorry for those that don't have it yet.

I'm reading over the Battlefield Support rules.
I think we might use some of these in an upcoming game.

Pretty sure the examples given on page 16 section 2 Battle Value Integration
are incorrect. That confused me for a bit. I know I need new glasses but I think
the chart is correct and the example wrong.
When I cross reference these on the chart shown earlier I get completely
different numbers for the Battle Value of Strikes.

At any rate I'm not real into using the vehicle Battlefield Support rules, but the
Strikes rules seem like a fantastic way to add attacks by Air, artillery, and even
use mines. With the cards it seems simple to use these attacks as well as
to use the Battle Value that players are already given.
Ever make the lance you really want but even after adjusting skills your either
over or under?
If both players agree you could make up the difference with support strikes.

For those who've read these rules-What do you think of them ?

Prometheum5

• Master Sergeant
Re: The Mercenaries Rulebook and Battlefield Support.
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2024, 14:45:18 »
I'd recommend checking out this thread where we discussed the BSP rules if you haven't already https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=85916.0

BSP is neat, you should definitely give it a shot.

DevianID

• Captain
Re: The Mercenaries Rulebook and Battlefield Support.
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2024, 02:12:20 »
I've been using BSP for a while.  BSP solves a lot of problems that crop up with combined arms play, from an organizing a game point of view.  Running infantry, air, artillery, and vehicles with TW+strat ops+tac ops requires too many books.  When questions come up it grinds games to a halt.  Further, I play lots of campaign games, and in a campaign the TW rules are crazy deadly to non-mechs, to the point that collecting xp and leveling up your infantry and tank crews is almost impossible, and really demoralizing.

The full TW rules for tanks and such work best in pick up games with force building restrictions to prevent abuse.  A pair of tanks with a mech lance is fine for rules complexity for a pickup game for example, and friendly list building restrictions should weed out people running 20 blocks of infantry at the door. 

In story campaigns 20 BSP infantry isn't the problem it is compared to TW rules, so I'm much happier running lots of infantry with the BSP to recreate specific narrative battles.

Register