Author Topic: Mechwarriors who canonincally owned more than one mech at the same time  (Read 978 times)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Re: Mechwarriors who canonincally owned more than one mech at the same time
« Reply #30 on: 20 September 2024, 01:10:02 »
Oh the new leader of the GDL, Ronan comes to mind. He had a Gargoyle that he then gave up to another Mechwarrior after receiving Grayson's refitted Marauder from his parents (which I believe is supposed to be an 11D).

And his sister started with a Hatchetman but after their mission on Pandora switched to a salvaged Shadow Hawk
That what does not kill us has made it's last mistake!

We are eternal! We are etheral! We will fight you until the skies fall and the heavens burn!

Remember: retreat hell!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2024, 11:02:38 »
The MWO 'legendaries' fictions aren't canon though. Randall Bills, who write them, did when he was in charge, but they were never officially recognized by CGL, and once Randal stepped down they were decanonized because of how badly they screwed up the tech timelines.

Sadly parts of Sarna.net hasn't been updated in a long time.
Sarna puts it as follows:
"Although MechWarrior Online as such does not fall under the current criteria for Canon, the fiction going with the games' "Hero 'Mechs"—written largely by Randall Bills who at the time was also the incumbent BattleTech Line Developer at Catalyst Game Labs—was expressly declared fully canonical. At the same time, the Hero 'Mechs themselves and the configurations offered by MechWarrior Online were still not considered canon beyond what was expressly put down in the fiction pieces."

As far as I know this accurate. Randall, with CGL line developer hat on, explicitly said that the MWO fluff pieces he wrote for PGI are canon. I'm not aware of any official ruling to the effect that says Randall's writeups aren't CGL canon anymore, beyond the special edge case rulings clarification regarding the MWO-only 'Mechs that don't apply here.
Can you point me to the publication or statement where they were de-canonized?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 20 September 2024, 13:58:58 »
Well there you go, Thanks Frabby.
I was wondering how Randall's stuff was supposed to be Non-Canon.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • Duke-in-Exile of Tamar and Skye
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2024, 17:31:19 »
Does it count if you're retired? Cranston Snord and Lisa Steiner I both owned mech collections, and they're far from the only ones.

"You went from annoying the writers so badly that they killed Caesar Steiner just to spite you, to becoming one of them." -3rdCrucisLancers

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2024, 19:17:56 »
Sure, that counts as long as the mechs were still operational or in a state where they could readily be made operational.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman