Author Topic: Myomer robot replica fauna?  (Read 172 times)

Khanwulf

• Recruit
Myomer robot replica fauna?
« on: 30 September 2024, 13:52:04 »
Hello knowledgeable folks, I have a lore-ish question as to whether there is any canon indication that quadrupedal robot/vehicle versions of large fauna (e.g. horses, big cats, etc.) were ever created, even during the heyday of the Star League?

For example, we now have primitive robotic dogs. If done with myomer, they could easily be more realistic and function. Scale that up to human-rideable size, and you basically have a quad civilian robotic beast.

My interest was piqued in this after seeing art on the intertubes, expressing how the pilot of (at least some) quad battlearmor might basically sit in one in the posture of a motorcycle rider. And then, thinking "where did this approach come from", and working back into robot fauna.

So... thoughts? Anything official out there along these lines?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Myomer robot replica fauna?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2024, 15:09:57 »
I'm drawing a blank. Despite the presence of nearly-perfect myomer bionic limbs for humans, BT's robots have traditionally been big metal robots as envisaged in the 1980s. The The cover of the Black Widow Company shows the wreckage of such robots at Natasha Kerensky's feet.

The closest might be some highly realistic android "of dubious moral value" (love dolls) made on Dustball. If you can make those then you could probably make well-disguised animals.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2024, 17:26:45 »
The closest might be some highly realistic android "of dubious moral value" (love dolls) made on Dustball. If you can make those then you could probably make well-disguised animals.
Is that in one of the older sourcebooks?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2024, 17:32:00 »
Seems like there was an OLD 1st Ed. MW RPG Scenario, where they had human-size security robots to deal with.  I can't remember if it was one of the early Sourcebooks, or an issue of BattleTechnology, or even Challenge magazine though.   :undecided:  The latter 2 would make it "Non Canon", if that matters any.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

[spoiler]Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here![/spoiler]

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2024, 18:09:42 »

i have no doubt that for a suitable price, Dustball would be willing to make highly realistic robotic dolls of whatever the heck you want, for whatever purpose you want.

Register