Author Topic: MotW: Bloodhound  (Read 1408 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
MotW: Bloodhound
« on: 07 October 2024, 13:57:24 »

Seriously, it looks like one of those weird tropical fish grew a rugby players' legs.

I've done a lot of older units over the last couple of years- both in terms of in-game production and real-world timeline. Vulcans, Hermes II, the Osts recently, the Trebuchet... and I wanted to write up something about a personal favorite Mech of mine from more recent times. A silly-looking oddball with a surprisingly-effective repertoire behind it, the kind of Mech most people look at and shrug, but ends up being a diamond in the coal mine. And you know what? I'm oen of those players. I never would have given this a second thought if not for having ended up with one in a grinder game a few years ago. I was impressed- and by coincidence ended up with the miniature in an eBay lot around the same time, which prompted even more research into it. It's been a favorite since, and so today let's give some love to the Bloodhound. (A prior article exists from 2005, I'm safely saying that two decades is enough time for me not to be stepping on toes here.)

Born as a counter-insurgency machine, but proving to be a very capable scout-hunter (and scout itself!), the FWL commissioned the Bloodhound as an answer to the rise in House Liao's fortunes, combined with the frosting-over of relations with that nation. Not only had the Confederation reabsorbed St. Ives, not only were the effects of the Xing Sheng movement creating ripples across Capellan society, not only were the new focus on irregular warfare proving effective and very difficult to deal with... the planned marriage between Isis Marik and Sun-Tzu Liao ended. This looked to the League like a possible step towards war, or at the very least opened the possibility that Sun-Tzu might look to drown his 'sorrow' in a few raids along the Andurien border. An answer was needed for dealing with these irregulars, and Earthwerks- as they often did- stepped up with a new idea, the well-named Bloodhound. Stepping into service in the mid-3060s, it was a much-welcomed addition to the FWLM- and, of course, to the Word of Blake, who by this point had worked their way into the League's military and industrial complex to the point that they might as well have been running the show. More than a few of the new Mech, then, ended up in white (or fading-grey) livery within a few years of the debut.

So what makes a standard-model Bloodhound, the B1-HND, work? For starters, we don't need a lumbering assault Mech- that doesn't really do much good against irregular forces. You need speed, flexibility, and weapons to deal with the threat- which tend to be lighter-fare, no need for giant Gauss rifles and the like. So we need a low-weight, simple chassis, and we need it on the quick- the sooner this goes into service, the better. Earthwerks met this in a unique way- if you look carefully, the endo-steel structure is actually that of a Phoenix Hawk, despite not looking much like it. (Hey, if the Falconer can use the Orion's chassis, why the hell not?). The 45-ton size of the stalwart medium didn't change, giving us a Mech that can pack armor and engine rather than a smaller, more fragile unit could. The... interesting... shape includes satyr-style compound legs, an odd flat-sided torso, and a cockpit jutting out from the front- which makes the Mech, in-universe, a bit more vulnerable to infantry shots from the ground, but would give better visibility than the Phoenix Hawk's vantage on top of a humanoid torso.

We need to move fast- a slow unit might not be able to deploy quickly to deal with hit-and-fade tactics so common to insurgents, and so ground speed was extremely important to the design team. An XL engine gives the machine a 7/11 that makes it perfect for the job. No jump jets are installed, which is a pity- particularly since an insurgency might like to hide out in places like canyons, forests, or the urban sprawl- but the speed means that a Bloodhound can rapidly move around the field to deal with threats as they reveal themselves- or escape an ambush before the trap can fully close. Fourteen double-heat sinks allow the Mech to stay cool under fire from shoulder-launched inferno missiles (always a threat in this environment), even while using its weaponry.

We need a Mech that can take a beating, because the best Mech isn't doing you any good if it's mangled and has to return to base before the threat is neutralized. In the case of irregular forces that might be camped out waiting for their opportunity to hit a target for weeks, their patience is plenty enough already that they'll be happy to not spring their ambush until the local Locust driver has to withdraw for repairs. With durabliity and ability to survive and remain in the field being important, we find a very surprising 9.5 tons of armor in place. This is standard plate, so we don't get the bonus points afforded by ferro-fibrous, but we also have plating that can be rapidly replaced from older stockpiles of parts- making repairs cheaper and faster, getting the machine back in the field quickly. The protection might not allow it to survive a rampaging Ti Tsang, but shoulder-launched missiles and the like, no problem. The legs and center can each hold out an AC/20 round, while the side torsos and arms are a little thinner, but fine for the job at hand. The rear is reasonable, able to hold a medium laser without breaching, and since insurgent movements likely will resort to ambushes and other dirty tricks, that's important- you may not be able to predict when the back shot comes at you. In case the armor does get breached, CASE in the right torso helps keep the destruction of the missile bin from obliterating the entire Bloodhound.

Big engine, tough armor, we probably went light on weapons, then. We didn't do so bad here, really- it's a reasonable punch for a Mech this size. However... well, remember what we're expecting to fight here. Groups of infantry hiding in the jungle, or moving between buildings, etc.- not a lot in the way of armored units or Mechs. It's important, then to mount the kind of weapons that infantry dread, like machine guns and SRMs. So... we didn't do any of that. Three ER medium lasers are a pretty handy battery against light armor, but not of great use in the intended role. These are mounted in each arm and in the head, allowing the Mech to lose a limb without a huge reduction in power. A single ER small laser in the left arm supports these weapons, though the wish for an MG instead is very strong. The hefty punch though comes from a Streak SRM-6, in a fun pod on the right torso that looks like it came straight off of a modern-day attack helicopter. While the muscle of the missile rack is very handy against light armor, it's worth remembering that Streak systems can't use alternate ammo types like flechette or inferno- the kind of thing that kills infantry off. Crud. But, we DID do one smart thing, and brought a Beagle probe, allowing us to detect hidden units- the kind of thing an irregular unit relies on as a tactic, so while we might struggle to deal with the threat, we at least know it's there!

As such, we end up with a Mech that is quick, tough, well-armed for a job it wasn't supposed to do, but not particularly good at its intended job. What it DOES do well is detect units for the rest of its team, deal with light vehicles and light Mechs... it's a premier scout hunter, people. Seriously, it eats bug Mechs alive, even upgraded ones, and handily matches up against units like Jenners with ease thanks to its armor and efficient weapons. It can stay in the field for ages- the only weapon needing ammo is the Streak, and it famously doesn't fire unless it gets a lock, so we can hunt down enemy Mechs for days if we need to. It's tough enough to take a beating if it needs to defend itself against its prey when cornered, and it's fast enough to pace most smaller Mechs. So while Earthwerks didn't achieve what they wanted to, they built a fantastic Mech for a job they didn't mean to fill. Worth noting- with high speed, the probe, tough armor, and good long-term weaponry, the Bloodhound also makes a good scout itself- or, if you get your hands on one, an excellent strike-and-flee machine for your own insurgency.

Marik had a hit on their hands, if not quite the way they planned, and it was only natural to make a few small changes to make the Bloodhound even better. So as the FedCom Civil War came to its close, and the Word surprised everyone with their little tantrum, we got a new version. The B2-HND is a simple change to a few systems to give the Bloodhound a Gaurdian ECM system added on with the existing Beagle, a great combo for the kind of work the Bloodhound is intended to perform. Losing two heat sinks is a little tough to stomach, though reasonable, but the remaining half-ton from their removal is used for a second ER small laser, in the right arm this time to mirror its twin. The opportunity to drop the existing small and use the resulting ton for a flamer was missed here, and it would have been a much better move for the designed job- as it is, it's a little more muscle against light armored targets, and while that's nice, it's not all that helpful.

OK, so we made a Mech that was great at hunting light armor and scouts, but not so great at dealing with infantry and the like. Well... back to the drawing board. Debuting just after the end of the Jihad, and into a universe that saw both a drawdown in heavily-armored Mechs and a hot spot to end all hot spots in the remains of the FWL, as they turned guns on each other, the new B3-HND looked at the original plan and said 'let's try that again'. Keeping the speed, but slightly less armroed, the Mech now leans heavily into dealing with infantry, both armored and squishy, with a pair of medium pulse lasers leading the show, one in each arm. These are backed by handy ER flamers (finally!)... two in EACH arm, allowing you to roast large numbers of rebels and dissidents at once. The Beagle remains to help find targets for these weapons, but interestingly we also add a fluid gun to the right arm. If you've never used one, you have all sorts of dirty tricks to use from one of these oddball weapons, and it's a far better idea here than you might expect. Two tons of 'ammunition' (?) are stored in the right torso, allowing one to switch between a couple of ways to utilize it. The author suggests a combination of oil slicks and marshmallow creme. (You brought four flamers, what else are you going to do?). A drop to eleven double-heat sinks is reasonable so long as you don't push too hard, and as a final treat battle armor attempting to swarm a Bloodhound now get a face full of the B-pod mounted in the center torso, presumably on the underside of the odd-shaped torso.

So, there you have it. A unit that few players will be able to claim to really love using, but which deserves far more respect than it gets. It looks weird, and it's not all that great at the job it got built for, but if you get past the former and just rethink how to use it, you have one of the best scout/scout hunter units in the Inner Sphere. It's THAT good, far more than the sum of its parts. I've said before that this is overall Marik's most useful asset in the late-Civil War era and leading into the Jihad, and I stand by that bold statement- and it's easy to see why FWL units likely used their Bloodhounds to the point of exhaustion dealing with Word infantry forces as that war heated up. It's also easy to imagine why, with hordes of hostile and sometimes cybernetically-augmented troops in mind, the B3-HND was brewed up. Anyone with one of those in the heavily combined-arms oriented Dark Age has a true king of the battlefield in their posession.

Thoughts? Stories of use? (Probably not a ton of those, sadly). Changes? Bring 'em on.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: MotW: Bloodhound
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2024, 14:46:45 »
It is strangely tragic to me that they never got around to making a Bloodhound carrying a Bloodhound active probe.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2024, 16:10:30 »
I feel like the intent of the first two Bloodhounds wasn't to counter irregular infantry, but to counter said infantry's support, in the form of cheap light mechs, cheaper light vees, even cheaper clandestinely-armed IndyMechs, and VERY cheap support vees like technicals and such. Use them to pull the big teeth out of an irregulars force, and partner it with a Stinger or somesuch to take out the infantry. These are Marik machines after all, they're always designed to work in teams. :evil:
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2024, 17:27:17 »
The League already had a lot of infantry-removal options in the 40-45 tonnage range like the Vulcan, Hermes II, and Firestarter Omni.  With the Bloodhound, they may have been looking more for something capable of recon and anti-scout duty.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2024, 17:36:34 »
The League already had a lot of infantry-removal options in the 40-45 tonnage range like the Vulcan, Hermes II, and Firestarter Omni.  With the Bloodhound, they may have been looking more for something capable of recon and anti-scout duty.

Bloodhound finds the bad guys, calls in antipersonnel buddies, and is armed to survive an encounter with unpleasant surprises that have actual armor dots?
My wife writes books

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2024, 17:50:36 »
I feel like the intent of the first two Bloodhounds wasn't to counter irregular infantry, but to counter said infantry's support, in the form of cheap light mechs, cheaper light vees, even cheaper clandestinely-armed IndyMechs, and VERY cheap support vees like technicals and such. Use them to pull the big teeth out of an irregulars force, and partner it with a Stinger or somesuch to take out the infantry. These are Marik machines after all, they're always designed to work in teams. :evil:
And against the capcon, it can help counter battle armor, albeit not as effectively as it can help hunt vehicles and light mechs.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2024, 18:46:03 »
I  likewise think the load out makes sense when considering how common BA had become in the IS when the mech was produced. Likewise, I believe this was before the TW infantry rules that gave us incentive to use MGs for anti-PBI so why not have weapons that can handle most problems. Especially considering guerilla forces in the BTU have often had access to light armor vehicles and light mechs, might as well be ready for anything. 

I likewise have slept on this mech in part due to the art (it's not terrible, more of less a Bushwacker's little brother) The Bloodhounds only real flaw is that it will always be compared to ether more versatile mechs like the Phoenix Hawk or cheaper lighter mechs like the Firestater.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2024, 18:57:21 »
Bloodhound finds the bad guys, calls in antipersonnel buddies, and is armed to survive an encounter with unpleasant surprises that have actual armor dots?

Quite possibly.  Since the FWL didn't share a border with the Clans at the time, it was a mech that was situated where it could either outrun or outfight most things it encountered.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2024, 21:39:34 »
I think Weirdo is on to something with the idea of countering infantry support. The Bloodhound is well suited to wiping out transports and pinning insurgents down. Half of countering insurgencies is just being able to catch them. And taking out their "heavy" support with impunity means that your own infantry becomes more effective as a deterrent.

As for weaponry, I think it actually has a good selection for countering insurgents. It might not have the humanitarian crisis abilities of the Firestarter, but it can sit outside the range of any infantry weapon that doesn't need a crew and laser them until they submit or break. And if they try to run it has the speed and Active Probe to give chase. And it has incredible ammo endurance to continue those low level skirmishes for day, or even weeks, which means the cost of operations might actually be against guerilla warfare. It's not for clearing trenches, its for chasing down a few dozen guys in trucks smashing up a checkpoint or hitting a warehouse in the boondocks.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2024, 07:15:44 »
All good points, for sure. But... you know you're going to deal with the ground guys as part of a counter-insurgency op. They may have small Mechs, they may have APCs, they  may have a Demolisher (hey, shit happens!)... but they WILL have infantry forces, varying in quality from highly trained 'volunteers' from the CCAF's elite forces who just happen to be involved somehow- wink wink- all the way down to handing partisans and angry mobs some molotovs and hunting rifles. This WILL be part of your job- dealing with those folks.

The Bloodhound does an otherwise fantastic job of setting up to deal with that kind of situation, but even a single flamer, SPL, MG with half a ton of ammo, SOMETHING to deal with the one thing you know above all else will be in the OPFOR... it's a great Mech, I stand by that- there are very few scout-hunters out there that compare. But its only real opporunity to do damage to infantry is pinprick shots from lasers (inefficient), or doing the old zombie-stomp. Not a great idea. (I honestly don't recall if Streaks can even target unarmored infantry!)

But, it does put a giant, flashing exclamation point on why the B3-HND came to exist. "Hey guys, I have an idea! Hear me out... yes, I know, but we don't build the Firestarter here in the FWL. Yes, I know Steiner would sell the plans for 10 C-bills and a cup of coffee. Just shut up for a moment. What if we make a FWL Firestarter... out of an existing Mech... that was already made off the chassis of ANOTHER existing Mech... that had a couple of MGs and could do the job we need actually now that I think of it WE MAKE TOO MANY ER FLAMERS AND SHOULD PUT THEM ON A MECH IN LARGE NUMBERS."

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2024, 09:14:08 »
Another angle on the lack of infantry killing power is that a Bloodhound pilot isn't going to be tasked to do body count of the dead, or search the bodies for intel.

I think the Bloodhound is meant to work with a team. Infantry units, special forces, intelligence types, maybe even law enforcement in some situations. Your own set of ground pounders.

In this scenario the Bloodhound is meant to crack open the hard nuts of resistance. The insurgents are in a building, in a cave, in a bunker. Maybe they are mobile and are in vehicles trying to flee or attack. They are determined to go down fighting. The Bloodhound is meant to supply the anti-armor and nut-cracking support that a light infantry force will lack.

Also the art depicts it having 2 hand actuators. If that's true (I haven't checked) that's another pro in the column, because manipulating the environment can be a good way to deal with certain problems. The insurgents are covering every known entrance to the building? Have the Bloodhound use its hand actuators to create a new entrance. The insurgent nest is covered by netting? The Bloodhound can use its hands to pull away the cover. Think crude combat engineering tasks.

At the end of the day, any 'mech is going to have its limitations when it comes to fighting insurgents. It needs those ground pounders to work with it, to actually physically clear buildings and tunnels and forests. To round up the surrendering prisoners and to pick over the bodies and their stuff for valuable intel. The 'mech's role is more akin to helping find the insurgents, helping to pin them down. Eliminating their heavy weapons/equipment/vehicles, and helping to crack open any particularly hard nuts that would get a purely infantry force killed trying to deal with them. But then the rest of the job is turned over to the ground pounders to clean up.

Totally agree that this thing is an excellent scout-hunter. Thanks for highlighting an under-appreciated machine. I've never used it, it definitely deserves a fresh look.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2024, 09:16:17 by Alan Grant »

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2024, 10:07:44 »
I think the Bloodhound is meant to work with a team.

Very much this. Very, VERY few Marik mechs are built to do their job solo, and this isn't one of them.

A good partner that's available in extremely large quantities is the Stinger-5M. A pair of those are available to pretty much every formation in the FWLM, they've got the antipersonnel power in the form of a Flamer apiece, AMS means they can resist missile troops(armored or otherwise), and jump jets means they can get to places the Bloodhound can spot but can't reach.
My wife writes books

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2024, 10:13:39 »
And the Bloodhound's sensor array would be very useful for keeping a Stinger from blundering into something nasty.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2024, 10:51:26 »
The Vulcan is probably a common lancemate.  6/9/6 is good for out-maneuvering most anything an insurgency probably fields, and it has a flamer and an MG for dealing with the kind of light, irregular infantry you'd expect from an insurgency.  Given the time frame of the Bloodhound's introduction, it also has a large pulse laser instead of the anemic AC/2 for plugging hard targets.  For all values of "hard" that apply to insurgencies, in any case.

All that said, the Bloodhound is one of the few Marik 'Mechs I've never tried on the tabletop.  It looks like a good fast striker -- I just usually default to Wraiths or Cicadas if I need something that swift.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

XenopusTex

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2024, 00:30:24 »

I agree with regard to the first version.  DRG activities tend to use some type of transportation.  Yes, you can try to sneak in on foot, but a lot of times it's involving either very light armour assets, technicals, or similar.  Let's face it, humans only move so fast, and we tend to be squishy.  Stronger incursions are usually backed up with a penny packet of heavier armour or even more if big enough.  There's a reason such things as armoured scout cars, etc. exist. 

While the Cappies may be practicing "irregular" tactics, that doesn't mean their units are equipped with such junk as Raiders, Quasits, etc..  Technicals may indeed be a thing, just due to their ease of production.  Kill the support, and the people are kind of in a bad way.

With regard to the second version, I don't like it as a COIN unit.  It has four weapons whose primary reason for existence is to set stuff on fire.  if you're dealing with insurgents, that means they are on your turf.  And, you're using a unit on them that makes a Sherman crocodile crawl in a corner and wimper for mommy?  The Cappies are moving toward your supply/ammo dump.  You find them as they are just about to set charges on the structures... let's spray 'em with a flamer for good measure, eh?  They find their way into the back command area... let's spray the area down with flamers, just to make sure.  Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad weapons choice.  An LMG array... an LMG array ... my planet for an LMG array. 

I like to look at the second version from the other perspective.  While it's certainly not going to hide in too many places, it would make for an interesting ultra-heavy DRG unit.  Would also make a great terror/war crime unit.  Looky, it's an Ignis that walks :)  "We heard you say the planetary governor is ugly...  We'd like a moment of your time."  "It was reported that you voted for the opposition party...".

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2024, 13:12:23 »
I like to look at the second version from the other perspective.  While it's certainly not going to hide in too many places, it would make for an interesting ultra-heavy DRG unit.  Would also make a great terror/war crime unit.  Looky, it's an Ignis that walks :)  "We heard you say the planetary governor is ugly...  We'd like a moment of your time."  "It was reported that you voted for the opposition party...".

I see it as more of "so you decided to run your cell out of a flammable warehouse". As much fun as we have describing infantry as squishy, even a light building does wonders for their durability. But ER Flamers let you clear them out with moderate safety, then use the Fluid Gun to keep any subsequent fires from spreading. Not exactly humanitarian award material, but an effective strategy for people who just came off the worst meatgrinders of the Jihad.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2024, 14:45:03 »
You can also load the fluid gun with Inferno Fuel.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #17 on: 09 October 2024, 15:15:17 »
You can also load the fluid gun with Inferno Fuel.

Honestly, unless you're facing a lot of tanks or *really* need to be able to ignite five hexes at the same time, Inferno usually isn't worth it in this weapon.
My wife writes books

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2024, 16:49:13 »
Honestly, unless you're facing a lot of tanks or *really* need to be able to ignite five hexes at the same time, Inferno usually isn't worth it in this weapon.

I usually don't use fluid guns myself but the option is there for those who keep asking "but why not Firestarter?"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2024, 19:44:24 »

What is worth it in a fluid gun, though?

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 09 October 2024, 22:08:39 »
Ah the Bloodhound. One of the two nice things Marik received in TRO 3067. The Bloodhound works nicely against other small mechs, a fast heavy scout in a scout unit, or even a harasser when teamed up with Wraiths and Erises.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #21 on: 09 October 2024, 23:45:05 »
I wonder if the flamer version was made in memory of the Manei Domini infantry, especially stuff like the Tau zombies? Rooting out WoB cells would have continued well after the official end of the Jihad, and the FWL would have faced some of the hardest fights for that, given how entrenched the WoB was in their space.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2024, 07:36:57 »
I wonder if the flamer version was made in memory of the Manei Domini infantry, especially stuff like the Tau zombies? Rooting out WoB cells would have continued well after the official end of the Jihad, and the FWL would have faced some of the hardest fights for that, given how entrenched the WoB was in their space.

WHICH Free worlds League? there were three of 'em (minimum) after the Jihad and they were pretty intent on killing each other as well as killing the WoB.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2024, 08:48:16 »

Coolant, Corrosive, Flame-Retardant Foam, Oil Slick, Paint, Water. Water is really the least efficient of those choices, but has the benefit of being the most flexible, able to do three jobs, if not as effectively as the more specialized ones.
My wife writes books

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2024, 10:39:57 »
WHICH Free worlds League? there were three of 'em (minimum) after the Jihad and they were pretty intent on killing each other as well as killing the WoB.
Looks like it was commissioned just before the break up so take your pick.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2024, 12:24:06 »
Most of what I came to say about one of the ugliest mechs in the game was uttereted in the last day from other posters.  I was wondering the FWL wouldn't take a existing chassis and modify it to the same standard and quick research showed that the Cicada was produced on Gibson which would likely have been more concerned about fulfilling WoB obligations (and the fact you need content for TRO 3067).

I have used 2 out of the 3 variants of the Bloodhound and it's a solid mech.  Possibly a little BV pricey for my personal tastes.  When I've had it on the table it has been neglected by my opponent and while I can't say I've done anything noteworthy with it that's kinda of the point.  As a FWL mech it is a team player and it preforms its role well.

At some point I'd like to see an update with updated electronics.  A Bloodhound or a TAG included.  However since it isn't a vintage mech and the art isn't anything to write home about I don't think this mech is going to make a comeback anytime soon.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2024, 14:40:10 »
Very nice article about a Mech I've always overlooked. I may have to give it a bit more thought in the future.

As a side note, it does have some very useful quirks for its role: improved sensors and protected actuators. That should come handy in irregular warfare.
Jude Melancon lives!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2024, 17:48:42 »

MARSHMALLOW CREME.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2024, 18:07:35 »
As a side note, it does have some very useful quirks for its role: improved sensors and protected actuators. That should come handy in irregular warfare.
That's really good and now I really wish it had a variant with a Bloodhound Probe.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2024, 18:23:36 »

Register