Poll

Of the types of (print) sourcebooks described below, what would you like to see more of? (Pick TWO):

Era Reports (Contains fluff, tracks, and RPG data on a given swath of history)
131 (14%)
Historicals (Contains focused information on battles of a specific war or wars)
229 (24.4%)
Field Manuals (Contains force rosters for factions at a single historical point)
155 (16.5%)
Technical Readout (Contains stats and images for units in a given historical period)
187 (20%)
Plot Sourcebook (Contains fluff and specific rules/units for the current timeline)
215 (22.9%)
Other (Specify in your comments)
20 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 536

Voting closed: 02 September 2011, 19:08:05

Author Topic: What Kind of Sourcebooks Suit YOUR Fancy?  (Read 38514 times)

tzu13

• Corporal
  • Xin Frickin' Sheng

The lurker formerly known as Tzu13

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
Re: What Kind of Sourcebooks Suit YOUR Fancy?
« Reply #91 on: 16 August 2011, 11:42:29 »
This probably doesn't count as a sourcebook, but I voted for "other" ... I would like to see more of the map packs. 

The quality of the Catalyst maps is absolutely amazing! and I LOVE the tiles that came in the Lakes & Rivers and Cities & Roads sets!  I have both infact. And even got the bonus dropship tile for preordering the Cities & Roads set!

I ALSO have Map Compilations 1 & 2 which were all FASA reprints, as well as the all original Map Pack 7 from FanPro (which is actually designed for all 9 maps to be able to be used together!).

I'd like to see MORE sets with high quality maps and MORE tiles because of how versatile they are. 
* A wider variety of tiles would be cool though - canyons/chasms, other dropships, larger buildings, gun emplacements, defensive walls, etc.  all of these would be VERY cool!
* A new assortment of map designs would be great too! Map Pack 7 from FanPro gave Us a military base/space port (SO COOL!), but how about a mech repair facility or something as large as an entire city, a mountain range/ridgeline?  how about BRAND new combat arenas with new and interesting environmental rules like a jungle, swamp, icefield, etc?

Bottom line, for Me one of the largest factors in adding replay value to BattleTech has always been the environments themselves ... not the fluff, not a whole bunch of new mechs or whatever, but being able to go somewhere new and do something different.

You guys are doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work, and thank you for actually taking the time to ask Us what We'd like to see and for taking Our suggestions seriously!

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #92 on: 16 August 2011, 12:25:11 »
Haven't read through this thread, but I'm sure I can't be the first to suggest Historicals & Plot Books.

TROs are a given; they're gonna sell well every time, CGL's gonna keep making them, so I decided not to vote for them. However, the plot books are /the/ way of progressing the storyline, while Historicals have many, many volumes of material to expand upon, allowing everyone to visit (and re-visit) their favorite eras.

I read the plot books faithfully, but I pour over the Historicals.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #93 on: 16 August 2011, 14:31:09 »
My second vote would be other.......more AToW books, i really like the rpg aspect of BattleTech

Tizona

• Sergeant
  • Caput Castellae
« Reply #94 on: 17 August 2011, 02:18:08 »
Haven't read through this thread, but I'm sure I can't be the first to suggest Historicals & Plot Books.

Just voted those two myself.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #95 on: 17 August 2011, 04:00:17 »
I loved the Historical: Reunification War and Era Report: Age of War.

It would be nice to get (a) more books from these time periods or (b) a report or TRO detailing the House and Periphery armies of the Age of War and Star League period.

It's nice to have a bunch of Star League units floating around but what exactly are they fighting against? :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

battletech_pandemonium

« Reply #96 on: 18 August 2011, 10:05:26 »
intersellar opts :) please

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #97 on: 18 August 2011, 10:08:15 »
I personally voted for Field Manuals and Historicals.

However in retrospect, although I loved the first Field Manual series (hence the vote), I think there's only so many Field Manuals you could ever need given the comprehensive nature of them, and the finite amount of factions in the Battletech Universe.

I however love the Historicals for many reasons. Firstly, they keep previous eras alive, and also shed light on previously unexplored conflicts. There are so many product possibilities here.

Field Manuals & Historicals....I would love to see something similar done covering a number of minor conflicts such as Operaton Guerrero....

I know I personally have posted a couple of times specifically regarding Operation Guerrero as well.

I have found that outside of previously published scenario books, Historicals provide a wealth of information for creating canon scenarios. I think playing the game has so much more depth if you know which units are fighting which.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #98 on: 18 August 2011, 10:55:06 »
I don't know if anyone else has said this before, but I'm trying to run the CBT Solaris 7 game here on the boards and would consider it a blessing if we had a full update on the game world post 3085.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #99 on: 18 August 2011, 12:01:59 »
I don't know if anyone else has said this before, but I'm trying to run the CBT Solaris 7 game here on the boards and would consider it a blessing if we had a full update on the game world post 3085.

YES!
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #100 on: 19 August 2011, 07:10:44 »
Historicals and Other.
Historicals, because it lets you focus on little bits of history you wouldnt normally see, and because it makes the people who refuse to go past certain times a bit happy to be tossed a bone now and then. (I wouldnt mind one based on the Nova Cat Abjuration, not I think that'll ever happen)

Other: Just...in general. There's a bunch of PDF only products I really like. Objectices is fantastic. The dossiers are great too, although I prefer the ones that focus on a specific unit.

TRO: I love TROs, but I didnt vote for them. I know they're really popular, so I dont think they need any real support as I figure you'll do them anyways. I dont really 'get' the entire 'to many' crowd as is. We have new equipment, and advanced equipment coming out all the time. As much as they talk about 'flooding' the field, as the time line progresses people are going to use that technology.  TRO 3150, for example, is going to be 50+ years since the last TRO release. The time might have been a bit quieter, but to believe nothing worth noting is going to be developed and distributed between the two?

Konig-Wolf

• Corporal
  • The Lion of Silesia...ready to roar.
« Reply #101 on: 19 August 2011, 12:49:36 »
Historicals and Other.

Historicals due to the myriad of reasons already list.

Other because it will allow the CGL Team to explore stuff beyond what we are used to. Things I would love to see:

-More Time of War material, expanding on the fantastic work in the core book.

-More information for Interstellar Operations when it comes out.

-I'd like to see something that finally discusses all the "what-if" scenarios and potential alternate universes that the CGL Team has thought up. Doing alternate histories for BT is something that's been going on for a long time...might as well bring it to the masses officially too.

-Jeff "König-Wolf" James

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #102 on: 19 August 2011, 15:37:18 »
Oddly enough, the Field Manuals have been getting extensive use to help determine force compositions for particular units, where they can be found and so on, when designing campaigns for home games.

Time will change many things for factions. It'd be interesting to see what new forces crop up, how they're deployed, where they're stationed, what tactics they generally use. It'd also be interesting to see how doctrines and equipment dispersion has changed with different areas.

I'd be all over a Field Manual/Era Report hybrid.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 19 August 2011, 19:50:25 »
TRO: I love TROs, but I didnt vote for them. I know they're really popular, so I dont think they need any real support as I figure you'll do them anyways. I dont really 'get' the entire 'to many' crowd as is. We have new equipment, and advanced equipment coming out all the time. As much as they talk about 'flooding' the field, as the time line progresses people are going to use that technology.  TRO 3150, for example, is going to be 50+ years since the last TRO release. The time might have been a bit quieter, but to believe nothing worth noting is going to be developed and distributed between the two?

Agreed, it is a valid point that there are a crazy number of designs out there but there's a crazy amount of more advanced tech that's just starting to hit mass production.

Black Omega

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 19 August 2011, 23:00:52 »

(2) Plot Sourcebooks that contain information that cannot be trusted as canoical are beyond worthless to me. Soucebooks have to be trustworthy, or they're of no more value to me than fanfiction, regardless of their company origin.

I couldn't agree more.  Well said.
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #105 on: 20 August 2011, 06:10:46 »
Historicals & TRO's for me Please, to me these both seem to cover the "bases" well.

Dave.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #106 on: 20 August 2011, 08:16:14 »
Historicals and plot sourcebooks for me

Likewise.

I have enough units, more metal than I'll ever paint.  Give me the universe. (oh, and LAMs) :-)
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Voodoo

• Master Sergeant
  • This is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd warning...
« Reply #107 on: 21 August 2011, 07:28:39 »
I chose "other".  Although there are a lot of things I would like to see, and buy, I would really like to see a Merc's Handbook 3085 with some fantastic fluff on several of the predominant merc units of 3085.  Now that it seems we will not be getting any more of the "merc themed scenarios", this would be a great place to highlight some of them.  Priced under $30, I believe this would sell.
Forum Miscreant...and then some.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #108 on: 21 August 2011, 07:34:18 »
I chose "other".  Although there are a lot of things I would like to see, and buy, I would really like to see a Merc's Handbook 3085 with some fantastic fluff on several of the predominant merc units of 3085.  Now that it seems we will not be getting any more of the "merc themed scenarios", this would be a great place to highlight some of them.  Priced under $30, I believe this would sell.

I don't think 70 pages of "They're dead" would sell well at all.  Not a lot of mercs left  at that point...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Minchandre

• Corporal
« Reply #109 on: 21 August 2011, 18:49:14 »
I'd like to see Handbook: Clans of the Inner Sphere and Deep Periphery.  This can cover the Bears/Rasalhague, Falcons, Wolves/WIE, Horses, Ravens, Sharks and Scorpions/Ice Hellions.  If the Major Periphery states get a Handbook, I don't see why at the very least the IS Clans don't get one too, if only to complete the Handbook series.

I know this is a little delayed from the original post, but I just want TPTB to know that there are at least two fans who would love a Clan Handbook.

tzu13

• Corporal
  • Xin Frickin' Sheng
« Reply #110 on: 21 August 2011, 21:33:47 »
I know this is a little delayed from the original post, but I just want TPTB to know that there are at least two fans who would love a Clan Handbook.
Well, if it's placed post 3085, it would certainly make for a much shorter book.  ;)

The lurker formerly known as Tzu13

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #111 on: 22 August 2011, 03:30:42 »
Hard to choose, but I'd say Historicals and Era Reports to balance things out for folks that may not like the ongoing plot direction? That way you're keep two different subsets of fans happy, the Bring on the new stuff! crowd, and the BOO keep it old school! crowd. Also it would seem like the most profitable arrangement, that way both major sides of the fan base are spending money!

Honestly if it were up to me for some reason there'd be more of everything.  :)

555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

brathac3108

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Solaris7.pl
« Reply #112 on: 22 August 2011, 07:40:07 »
Historicals and Plot Sourcebooks for me. There's never enough to read for me.  :)
www.solaris7.pl - BattleTech in Poland
Catalyst Demo Agent #465

garysc18

« Reply #113 on: 22 August 2011, 07:51:05 »
I'd go for Historicals, as there is so much still to explore in the BT universe.

On the second vote, and as stated by Herb it won't happen, but I've always liked scenario packs (more in the FASA vein, than as 'tracks') as these also added flavour to the BT background.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #114 on: 22 August 2011, 08:46:23 »
Battlecorps publishes old-style scenarios on a semi-regular basis.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
« Reply #115 on: 22 August 2011, 17:33:24 »
I voted Historicals.  I'm not a fan of anything after 3057ish, but I snap up stuff from before that as soon as I notice it.
Wow, that's pretty modern.  I'm running an ATOW campaign that kicked off on 3010 and would sure love more detail on the 3rd succession war.  We started that far back because:
  • we don't need 5 incarnations of a medium laser to move a plot
  • none of the crew were fans of the clan era
  • during the 3sw a modest group of PC's could actually have a chance to shape history

I may run a reunification war campaign someday, but nothing after 3050 has caught my eye.
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

hellghost

• Recruit
« Reply #116 on: 23 August 2011, 11:10:48 »
Three Fans ^^
But a Historical About the Third Succession War is a nice too !^^

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #117 on: 23 August 2011, 11:38:24 »
Wow, that's pretty modern.  I'm running an ATOW campaign that kicked off on 3010 and would sure love more detail on the 3rd succession war.  We started that far back because:
  • we don't need 5 incarnations of a medium laser to move a plot
  • none of the crew were fans of the clan era
  • during the 3sw a modest group of PC's could actually have a chance to shape history

I may run a reunification war campaign someday, but nothing after 3050 has caught my eye.

Well, I prefer 3025 era :)  However, Clan on Clan fights are fun as well.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #118 on: 23 August 2011, 13:31:37 »
While I can appreciate people enjoying a specific era, 3025 has been done to death. There is an abundance of material out there detailing campaigns, scenarios, TO&E, TROs for equipment and fiction from BattleCorps and the numerous novels out there.

I prefer Catalyst spend its limited resources on eras which have yet to be fleshed out, like the Age of War, Star League or Republic.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #119 on: 23 August 2011, 16:04:38 »
I voted Historicals and Others. I love TROs as much as the next person, but it sounded like Herb was asking what do we want _more_ of, so I took that as relative to the status quo. And we've been very lucky in the TRO area lately.

I chose Others instead of Plot Sourcebooks because I wanted to be explicit that my personal (emphasis on personal) preference is for "looking back with all the facts" type books. I'm like to know the whole story. While there might be some bias in the telling, from an in-universe narrator, I like me some facts wrapped in narrative flavor.