Register Register

Author Topic: 'Mech With Most Miniature Sculpts  (Read 1579 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
'Mech With Most Miniature Sculpts
« on: 19 May 2022, 06:52:57 »
So, I've seen this posted at least twice on FB.  They were wondering which 'Mech had the most sculpts, and at least one they said they thought it was the CatapultUsually, I'd have simply gone, "Huh, that's interesting. now I'm wondering also.", and then continue scrolling.   ;D  But in this case, I think I had the answer.

Several years back I commissioned CSO Artist wackrabbit to paint 1 of each of all the Mad Cat sculpts for me, minus the 2 Museum Scale sculpts.  A few years before commissioning wackrabbit, I'd commissioned SpacemanSpiff to paint my RP/IWM MS Mad Cat and Microsoft MS Mad Cat for me, in matching Hell 's Horses schemes.  (They Look INCREDIBLE!!)  So I gathered up my CBT Mad Cats, including at least 1 plastic and the 2 Battleforce scale ones, and sent them off.  I Eventually got them back, and Yes, they all look Amazing also (all 14!), including the Aidan Pryde that he painted as a Snow Raven in dress uniform!   :thumbsup:

Anyway . . . here is the list of Mad Cat minis I came up with, and posted as a reply to the 2 FB posts.

Mad Cat - Original Sculpt
Mad Cat - Original Resculpt
Mad Cat - Resculpt
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - Citytech Box Set 1994
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - Introductory Box Set 2013
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - CI KS Sculpt
Mad Cat - Battleforce Sculpt
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - Original
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - Microsoft Special
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - CI KS Sculpt
Mad Cat - Pryde
Mad Cat - Kell Hound (RPE/MFUK Sculpt)
Mad Cat III
Mad Cat IV
Mad Cat MK II (Enhanced)
Mad Cat MK II (Standard)
Mad Cat MK II (Standard) - Resculpt
Mad Cat MK II - Battleforce Sculpt
Mad Cat MK II 4
Mad Cat MK II 5
Bounty Hunter Mad Cat S Mech

I used a combination of the XL file I've got to help keep track of the minis I own, Sarna, and of course IWMs site.  Now, in addition to wondering if I missed any, I'm also wondering about the 2 Reculpts on IWMs site. 

Which is the FIRST Resculpt?  They've got AR20-603, as well as 20-603RE?  And now double-checking I see I've made an error.   :-[  I was seeing the "Mad Cat "Timber Wolf" Prime 20-9120", "Mad Cat "Timber Wolf" Prime AR20-603", and "Mad Cat "Timber Wolf" Prime 20-603RE" all in a row, and "Thinking" (apparently didn't do ENOUGH of that!), that the first one was the Original sculpt.   :-[  Now I think the OS is "AR20-603", though the pic listed is shown to be painted in 2013 by Dave Fanjoy, while the "20-603RE is shown to be painted by Ray Arrastia in 2008.  ???

So I guess I need to remove "Mad Cat - Original Resculpt", and just leave "Mad Cat - Resculpt" on the list?   ???  Since I've got the CI sculpt listed also, and Yes, it's a "Resculpt", it's also Obviously a newer, slightly different  Resculpt, while the older Resculpt is really only a slightly large Resculpt than the original.

Also, on my XL file I've got a MC II listed, but I'm unable to find it on IWM's site, so I changed it on my list to MC MK II.  Double-checking I can find the PARTS for a MC II, oddly enough.   ???  The arms (Mad Cat II arm sprue 20-983ARM) and missile launchers (Mad Cat II missile rack 20-983MSR) have the same base SN as the "Mad Cat Mk II (Standard) 20-983".  So yes, now my OCD Alarm is going off.   ::)

Anyway . . . Do I need to remove "Mad Cat - Original Resculpt", dropping the list from 20 to 19?  I believe the RPE/MFUK sculpt should stay, because it WAS an Official, Licensed mini while it was in production.  Not sure I missed any, but also wondering (like the FB People), is there a 'Mech with more sculpts?  Or did I actually get it right for a change?   ;D  As I told the guy on FB, if I hadn't already had MY group painted by wackrabbit, I wouldn't have given it this much thought!

Crap! Also now thinking I listed the BF MC MK II as the "Mad Cat MK II (Standard) - Resculpt", IN ADDITION TO showing it as "Mad Cat MK II - Battleforce Sculpt"!!  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Yes, listing them all by SN would be The Way To Do It!!  ::)

Edited to add the Bounty Hunter S!   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 19 May 2022, 15:52:06 by GRUD »
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Prometheum5

• Private
Re: 'Mech With Most Miniature Sculpts
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2022, 12:49:01 »
Here's an additional wrinkle, do you count the Bounty Hunter variant Mad Cat? That has unique parts.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2022, 15:54:21 »
Here's an additional wrinkle, do you count the Bounty Hunter variant Mad Cat? That has unique parts.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

I HADN'T, and I've got the 2 Bounty Hunter Lance Packs, both also painted by wackrabbit:-[  So now my post is Edited to add that one, Thanks!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2022, 16:13:01 »
Point of order.

You've listed off 5 DIFFERENT mechs there.

If your checking most sculpts of a mech, I feel like, it has to be the SAME mech.

TimberWolf  =/=  MadCat-II or III  etc etc.

If you limit it to a single chassis then the Catapult does have a decent chance at "Most".

Original Metal
FAT-a-pult  (Cititech-II?)
Plas-Tech-apult.
Intro Box 25yr?
Intro Box Atlas Cover?   (Possibly the same as above but better quality plastic used?)
Kickstarter
I vaguely recall a Catapult-K option but not sure on that.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2022, 19:49:50 »
We have the limited edition Catapult and the new Kickstarter Arrow IV version from IWM as well.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2022, 20:27:34 »
I think the Shadow Hawk has a good chance of rivaling the Catapult now too.

The Mechs of the Fortnight usually has a mini count list too, although a few have to updated with the new releases, KS plastic and metal.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2022, 20:32:53 by Luciora »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2022, 23:57:54 »
It's coming soon, but there's also the Mad Cat TC limited edition mini.

But yeah, counting the Mad Cat MK II, III, and IV is like listing all the Marauder sculpts and counting the Marauder II, Dragon Fire, Maelstrom, Hector, Marauder IIC, Nightstar, Behemoth, and Marauder Battle Armor.  Which would have at least 21 minis if you did that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2022, 00:11:56 »
Original Metal
FAT-a-pult  (Cititech-II?)
Plas-Tech-apult.
Intro Box 25yr?
Intro Box Atlas Cover?   (Possibly the same as above but better quality plastic used?)
Kickstarter
I vaguely recall a Catapult-K option but not sure on that.

Ral Partha long legs
Fatapult was PlasTech (citytech2 was javelin, orion, centurion, victor)
C4
Beginner Lance Metal
Ravenpult (2007/10 introbox - based on above)
Ravenpult (2013 introbox with better plastic)
Big K (IWM special edition K2)
Kickstarter
IWM nuMetal - C1/K2/C3

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2022, 12:19:11 »
Ral Partha long legs
Fatapult was PlasTech (citytech2 was javelin, orion, centurion, victor)
C4
Beginner Lance Metal
Ravenpult (2007/10 introbox - based on above)
Ravenpult (2013 introbox with better plastic)
Big K (IWM special edition K2)
Kickstarter
IWM nuMetal - C1/K2/C3

Thanks for clarifying the plastic, I was thinking their were 2 of them for some reason, a really BIG one & a WIDE one but I think it was the WIDE Atlas from the same set that I was actually remembering.
"Ravenpult" lol, I like that.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2022, 08:47:59 »
I would say yes to adding the stock #'s.
I'm only seeing one Mad Cat resculpt on my master list.  May one of those reflects the Mechwarrior 3 Box Set sculpt?

CDT Special Agent #343

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2022, 17:13:31 »
I would say yes to adding the stock #'s.
I'm only seeing one Mad Cat resculpt on my master list.  May one of those reflects the Mechwarrior 3 Box Set sculpt?

I've since looked it over, and think I goofed and added the BF mini as one of the Resculpts AND as the BF mini.  :-[  Doh!

Anyway, here's my NEW List, and I guess I have to say it's of ALL Mad Cat Sculpts.  Yes, Technically, they're NOT all "Mad Cat Prime" sculpts, since some are the 2, 3 and 4 Models.  Still a large "Family" of 'Mech minis though!   :thumbsup:

Mad Cat - Original Sculpt - (AR20-603)
Mad Cat - Original Resculpt - (20-603RE)
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - Citytech Box Set 1994
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - Introductory Box Set 2013
Mad Cat - Plastic Sculpt - CI KS Sculpt
Mad Cat - Battleforce Sculpt - (20-9120)
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - Original - (DL-681)
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - Microsoft Special - (No SN That I Could Find)
Mad Cat - Museum Scale - CI KS Sculpt - (DL-684)
Mad Cat - Pryde - (20-381)
Mad Cat - Kell Hound (RPE/MFUK Sculpt) - (MFUK-001)
Mad Cat III (Standard) - (20-331)
Mad Cat IV "Savage Wolf" Prime - (20-5025)
Mad Cat MK II (Enhanced) - (20-5040)
Mad Cat MK II (Standard) - (20-983)
Mad Cat MK II (Standard) - Battleforce Sculpt - (20-9111)
Mad Cat MK II 4 - (BT-353)
Mad Cat MK II 5 - (BT-351)
Bounty Hunter Mad Cat S Mech - (No SN That I Could Find)

Removed these 2 from the Original List, because again, I think I goofed and basically listed the 2 BattleForce minis as Resculpts.  :-\
Mad Cat - Resculpt
Mad Cat MK II (Standard) - Resculpt

Also Note, by "(No SN That I Could Find)", I mean that the IWM site had no SNs for those 3, NOT that I tried scouring the Internet to find one for any of them and couldn't.  If someone else wants to look for them, and quote a Source, be my guest! :thumbsup:

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2022, 08:13:23 »
The Mad Cat Mk II, III, and IV are as much a "Mad Cat" as a Vulture is a Mad Cat or a Locust is a Mad Cat. They are related in cosmetic features and name only, but totally different chassis.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2022, 15:44:58 »
The Mad Cat Mk II, III, and IV are as much a "Mad Cat" as a Vulture is a Mad Cat or a Locust is a Mad Cat. They are related in cosmetic features and name only, but totally different chassis.

Missed it by just over a month!  :thumbsup:

It's coming soon, but there's also the Mad Cat TC limited edition mini.

But yeah, counting the Mad Cat MK II, III, and IV is like listing all the Marauder sculpts and counting the Marauder II, Dragon Fire, Maelstrom, Hector, Marauder IIC, Nightstar, Behemoth, and Marauder Battle Armor.  Which would have at least 21 minis if you did that.

Anyway, here's my NEW List, and I guess I have to say it's of ALL Mad Cat Sculpts.  Yes, Technically, they're NOT all "Mad Cat Prime" sculpts, since some are the 2, 3 and 4 Models.  Still a large "Family" of 'Mech minis though!   :thumbsup:

I Acknowledged they're NOT all simply "Mad Cat", but they ARE all in the Mad Cat Family.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2022, 16:26:52 »
The question was which mech had the most minis, not which mech family did.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2022, 18:50:10 »
I can't help that.  ;D 

I Obviously misunderstood the Question.   :-[  Then someone said having the SNs would help, so I added them and deleted the 2 Duplicates.   :thumbsup:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2022, 20:56:36 »
I believe the Catapult and or the Shadow Hawk have the most sculpts for a singular chassis.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2022, 09:50:16 »
Grud, the list is still missing the MW3 sculpt.

CDT Special Agent #343

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2022, 17:59:23 »

Is that the mad cat from 10-844 clan mech MW3 pack? Is there anything special about it? Picture looks like the 20-603 mad cat.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2022, 18:58:34 »
Is that the mad cat from 10-844 clan mech MW3 pack? Is there anything special about it? Picture looks like the 20-603 mad cat.

Took me some digging on Sarna, and it's listed as being in: Ral Partha Mechwarrior Box 1: Clan Mechs

I Think I've got the 2 MW and 2 MechCommander Lance Boxes, but not certain "Where" in my house Exactly they are.   :-[  But I DO know all 4 are in the same large box I received them in!   :thumbsup:  ;D

And I'd never thought to Compare any of them to other minis before, so I've no idea if it's any different or not.   :-\  Sadly, Sarna doesn't have a pic of the box or minis inside.   :(

And I just realized, even if you discount/eliminate the various III, IV, and MK II sculpts, there are still TWELVE sculpts of the "Mad Cat".   :thumbsup:   People keep saying "Catapult" but I've yet to see a list by SN.  :-\

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2022, 00:37:16 »

12 if you count the new double packs, Catapult CPLT-C1 / K2 20-5182 and Catapult CPLT-C3 / C5 20-5189 as 2 each and remove the Catapult II.

11 Shadow Hawks, not counting the IIc, or the LAM.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2022, 01:53:45 »
Thanks for the link!   :thumbsup:

But . . .

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Sorry, but if we "Can't" count the Variants of the Mad Cat (III, IV, and various MK IIs), then we can't count Variants of the Catapult either.  Right?  So the -C2, -C3/-C5, -C4, -K2, -K4 can't be counted, and neither can the Catapult II.  The CII is 5 tons heavier, like some of the "Disqualified" Mad Cats are lighter or heavier.

I don't make the "Rules", and I don't understand What they are either!   :D  But "Fair is Fair", right?

Same goes for the Shadow Hawks.  No Variants, No LAMS, and CERTAINLY NOT the IIC, which is 10 tons lighter.  Granted, the Clans kept it MUCH closer to the original than they did with the Phoenix Hawk IIC at least!   :o

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2022, 02:28:55 »
In that case, the Mad Cat Pryde, Bounty Hunter Mad Cat S, and Mad Cat TC can't be counted either.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #22 on: 03 July 2022, 23:47:18 »
Don’t have the box in front of me, but that sounds right.  It has a few extra details on it.

CDT Special Agent #343

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2022, 10:02:15 »
What about the Mad Cat from 10-842 (sometimes with a P) that had plastic parts? I think the plastic bits (legs and arms IIRC) are the same size as the metals, but I haven't compared the one I have.

Prometheum5

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2022, 10:26:40 »
What about the Mad Cat from 10-842 (sometimes with a P) that had plastic parts? I think the plastic bits (legs and arms IIRC) are the same size as the metals, but I haven't compared the one I have.

The Partha Plastic was straight resin copies of some of the metal bits so the Mad Cat should still be identical but I think I'd count it as another mini version as well.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2022, 17:41:46 »
Don’t have the box in front of me, but that sounds right.  It has a few extra details on it.
According to www.heavygauss.com (Fanjoy's site), it has "more detail on the side torsos and toes".

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2022, 19:47:07 »
According to www.heavygauss.com (Fanjoy's site), it has "more detail on the side torsos and toes".

hmm, now I am curious, wonder if I can find the molds the next time I am at IWM.