Register Register

Author Topic: Pictures of the Omega  (Read 26644 times)

Atlas3060

• Plodding along...
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • WHAP Wielder
Re: Pictures of the Omega
« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2012, 11:18:29 »
Ah crudstunk, now I need to make a Wobbie OPFor.
Kerensky: Ahh! After 300 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Terra!

Blake: Toyama-5, Kerensky's escaped. Recruit 5 House Teens with attitudes.

GO GO COMSTAR RANGERS! *Guitar Riff*
--Intercepted transmissions from children's programming on Terra 3057

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2012, 11:26:18 »
Definatly going to need at least three of these. Please say they will be available soon and to us non-con attending peoples?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2012, 11:58:45 »
wow, that is really awesome!!!!!!!!!!

No, it's an Omega.  Much bigger than an Awesome.   ;D

It does look nice, but I have a hard time buying one with all the CAV minis I have of roughly the same size and shape.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2012, 12:31:27 »

That Mech seems like a good excuse for placing a big order. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society

Nekhron Kirov

• Private
  • Warrior, Poet, Evil Genius, Nerd Lord
    • Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2012, 12:34:00 »
Well, being an "Old Schooler", I think that this will just eventually lead to 500 ton mechs, I see no need to do away with the 100 ton limit rule.  But that is just me..

On the other hand, however, the beauty of the Battletech universe is that one can choose the Era that best suits them.  If I am not mistaken, the superheavy mechs come in Dark Age (correct me if I am wrong).  I am all for having different things for different players, as it promotes diversity in the game.

Star Col. Cmdg, 88th Crimson Cavalry Cluster, Iota Galaxy
    "Vos Canere Non Velieris"  -  (You Cannot Hide)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • Death from above
« Reply #35 on: 29 May 2012, 13:37:17 »
I kneel humbly before the mighty awesomeness that it is the Omega. Just when I think they dropped the ball they sent it right to the moon. Made of win and awesome!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2012, 14:34:23 »
Will there be a special large hex base for it as well?

Look at the bases > hex category on IWM store to see all of the hex bases available.

Degman

• Warrant Officer

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Master Unit List - List of all canon units, faction availabilities, Alpha Strike unit cards, Battle Values
Combat Manual Lite series - Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2012, 16:26:47 »
3 gauss rifles and 2 LB-10X's, 2/3/0 and max armor for 150 ton chassis. The best part...it can take a Guass slug to the head...AND LIVE! Beautiful sculpt!

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2012, 16:32:30 »
Well, being an "Old Schooler", I think that this will just eventually lead to 500 ton mechs, I see no need to do away with the 100 ton limit rule.  But that is just me..

On the other hand, however, the beauty of the Battletech universe is that one can choose the Era that best suits them.  If I am not mistaken, the superheavy mechs come in Dark Age (correct me if I am wrong).  I am all for having different things for different players, as it promotes diversity in the game.

There were pokes back to the Superheavy even pre-Dark Age- it's just the first successfully fully constructed designs were the Blakist models, namely the singular Omega line. As a fellow grognard of sorts, I'd honestly have a look at the construction rules before judging, the units were better balanced than I expected beforehand.

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 29 May 2012, 19:40:06 »
the sculpt IS amazing!  and make no mistake, I plan on buying multiples; but I too wish that the mini reflected the 3 level high nature of the super heavy class.

Deathknight69

• Lieutenant
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #43 on: 29 May 2012, 19:58:43 »
This BETTER be available to the general public or I will go on a rampage.
2nd'ed and 3rd'ed and 4th'ed , etc, etc.

I'd almost commit a crime to get this hunk o' pewter, lol
« Last Edit: 29 May 2012, 20:01:12 by Deathknight69 »
TLR2-O Templar Omni-Mech -> Gotta Have  & Luv It!!
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: 29 May 2012, 20:45:42 »
The official annoucement has been made about the Special Pre-Release of the Omega Super-Heavy Mech. Owe, I was wrong about the number of pieces, its 23 not 17.....

If you are at Origins, it will most likely be Friday that they will show up at the show.

Yes, this will be for general sale a few weeks after GenCon on IWM webstore as a online exclusive product.

General308

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 29 May 2012, 20:52:02 »
I think the size is good and is pretty much what I had in mind when I did the visual design for the OMEGA (a mech this big requires all caps!). If it helps you get over the whole levels thingy, just consider that it is (at least) 3 levels wide  ^-^

But how to you get over the whole level thing?  Height wise it is out of scale. Having to pretend in your mind it is three levels tall when the minis sort of throughs out the whole point of minis and  playing with terrain.

Looks great however

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 29 May 2012, 21:36:38 »
i have to say that some of my excitement is diminished because of the price tag, it seems a little outrageous.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 29 May 2012, 21:45:34 »
It is outrageous only if your getting it early, but when it gets its online release its really only 45, with the shipping and handling thrown on top. Definitely will need the three I said earlier, I'm already imagining what color schemes there going to get.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 29 May 2012, 21:50:39 »
That looks cool.
But for that price I would want it to be half again as tall as that Atlas.
Not the same size as a SuperHeavy CAV at twice the cost.

Hmmmm.
Time to go figure out a parts list to bash one.

klarg1

• Lieutenant
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2012, 21:57:49 »
  But how to you get over the whole level thing?  Height wise it is out of scale. Having to pretend in your mind it is three levels tall when the minis sort of throughs out the whole point of minis and  playing with terrain.

Looks great however

It's out of scale based on the rule saying it is 3 levels high. If you take the Atlas as the "gold standard" for 100 tons, it's way too big, in terms of over-all volume. It looks like it is at *least* twice as wide and twice as deep (front to back). That suggests close to a 4x mass increase, rather than 50%, as suggested by game stats.

If it helps, you could consider 2 levels being the height of an 'average' battlemech, with the big assaults actually standing noticeably above it, just not enough to warrant a rules change. The Hunched posture of the Omega would then make it the bottom end of the super-heavy height range, and not much taller than an Atlas.

That shaping issue is a common problem with chicken walker / pod shaped 'mechs. They tend to get sculpted to be close to the height of the humanoids, and should really be shorter (in many cases), to preserve the same overall volume. Quads are sometimes even worse.
Read about my travails with miniatures:
http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com/

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2012, 22:38:54 »
I love the sculpt, but this would have been the opportune time for IWM to begin using CAD and resin casting to keep the cost down and get the proportions and scale correct.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2012, 23:10:10 »

Aside from the rules being balanced, which they are, the Omega is a one-off mech (while perhaps a precursor to Dark Age +100 tonners from clix).  The Omega was only seen on Terra, and only a few were seen, so its the equivalent of XTRO designs.  If going over the 100 ton limit were to initiate an arms race I'd be in agreement but its not.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 29 May 2012, 23:15:57 »
That looks cool.
But for that price I would want it to be half again as tall as that Atlas.
Not the same size as a SuperHeavy CAV at twice the cost.

this was what i was thinking.

It is outrageous only if your getting it early, but when it gets its online release its really only 45, with the shipping and handling thrown on top. Definitely will need the three I said earlier, I'm already imagining what color schemes there going to get.

so really they're only paying 5 bucks more cause people at the cons don't need to pay for shipping.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 29 May 2012, 23:27:46 »
Ah, S+H is the rub! If your ordering from IWM your not probably going to just order a Omega by itself, your probably be going to take the oppurtunity to order several other mechs as well. So that ten-twelve bucks spent is for multiple models and not just one!  :)

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 30 May 2012, 00:02:19 »
Ah, S+H is the rub! If your ordering from IWM your not probably going to just order a Omega by itself, your probably be going to take the oppurtunity to order several other mechs as well. So that ten-twelve bucks spent is for multiple models and not just one!  :)

the 35$ is the rub, i was just pointing out the small difference.
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 30 May 2012, 00:09:49 »
Other diffrence is, is that people pay to attend those con's. So in the end there paying even more for the mech, just to get in and get it! I'll happily wait for it to show up online and I'll pay a heck of a lot less to boot to get the Omega for my collection.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 30 May 2012, 00:14:50 »
Other diffrence is, is that people pay to attend those con's. So in the end there paying even more for the mech, just to get in and get it! I'll happily wait for it to show up online and I'll pay a heck of a lot less to boot to get the Omega for my collection.

so will i, all i'm not trying to justify its costs, and various others associated trying to get one, i just believe its expensive when there are example of minis of similar size for much less.
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2012, 00:16:05 »
so will i, all i'm not trying to justify its costs, and various others associated trying to get one, i just believe its expensive when there are example of minis of similar size for much less.

True, true.  :)

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2012, 00:20:02 »
:o :o :o :o :o [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] [drool] O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) [brew] [brew] [brew] [brew] [brew] [##] [##] [##] [##] [##] [skull] [skull] [skull] [skull] [skull] [applause] [applause] [applause] [applause] [applause] [rockon] [rockon] [rockon] [rockon] [rockon] [AAAH] [whipit] [neko] [neko] [neko] [neko] [neko] Okay now 17 parts is cool also.  O0

What he said with a generous helping of   [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy]

HeadlessHorseman

• Recruit
  • Better to light a single candle than curse darknes
    • Irish Dragoons
« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2012, 01:13:15 »
Hello from the Hollow,
   I'm not sure whether I like this sculpt or not.  I do have one of the original, 4 barrel Monsters and I still have trouble with the looks of the turret layout.  This one is better, bit I'd sure like to see one up close before I shell out $35.00 +++
Remember, you can't reason with a headless man.

The Irish Dragoons

Register