Register Register

Author Topic: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts  (Read 4025 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
Re: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts
« Reply #30 on: 17 October 2021, 09:18:45 »
The Savage Coyote has an airfoil?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #31 on: 17 October 2021, 11:07:50 »
Apropos of nothing, I've just discovered there are two Canis Savage Coyote sculpts. One has the airfoil on top as a separate piece; the newer one I got from IWM earlier in the year has a solid loaf on top. I shall have to paint the underpart darker.

This has been known for quite some time. There are a few minis with sculpt variants like this, such as the Defiance, which is available with either a single piece torso or a split three piece torso. Examples of both Savage Coyote variants are on CSO.

https://camospecs.com/?s=savage+coyote

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2021, 18:08:27 »
The only Savage Coyote sculpt on sale at IWM is AR20-960, which has a solid top (no "airfoil").  If I remember correctly, the CamoSpecs artist noted that he had to drill through the base to create the "airfoil" look. 

Please let me know the variant torso part number if I'm wrong...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2021, 19:57:39 »
The only Savage Coyote sculpt on sale at IWM is AR20-960, which has a solid top (no "airfoil").  If I remember correctly, the CamoSpecs artist noted that he had to drill through the base to create the "airfoil" look. 

Changes like that usually were not given a separate number. Ral Partha or IWM just replaced the original part or sculpt without fanfare. The original "tall" Scarabus is another example. They shortened the sculpt and added a "backpack" for detail, but it's the same stock number.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #34 on: 18 October 2021, 20:42:39 »

A sculpt variant is not a separate saleable unit. Stuff like that is done to correct some kind of problem with the original. My guess would be that the variant with the spoiler came first, because that piece is such a pain in the ass to keep straight, does not connect well, and is easily mistaken for a piece of sprue.

A good example is the Goliath 2H, the one with all the rocket launchers. The sculptor only looked at the art, not the stats, and created a mini with four boxy rocket launchers, because that's all you could see in the art. However, the stats showed six. Clearly, the art was at an angle where the other two were out of sight on the far side of the 'Mech. IWM discontinued the four launcher model, and corrected the mini to have the proper six launchers. It did not get a second stock number, because it replaced the first version. This is what happened with the Savage Coyote.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #35 on: 19 October 2021, 04:09:39 »
Well, today I learned the Canis is called the Savage Coyote ...  :wheelchair: Got a couple of builds going, and obviously had a senior's moment :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 October 2021, 07:44:05 »
I have talked to Mike about this and he said some of the changes (excluding the Goliath issue) happened when the mold was worn out. Odd are the savage coyote mold ripped at the airfoil or is was a pain to cast (to many mis casts) so it was filled and new mold done.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #37 on: 20 October 2021, 12:49:17 »
Well, today I learned the Canis is called the Savage Coyote ...  :wheelchair: Got a couple of builds going, and obviously had a senior's moment :)

Well, the Canis is there, it is just a different mech...

abou

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 27 November 2021, 22:33:17 »
I just put together my Ostwar. I've been really excited about painting this mini because I think it looks good and has a neat place in the universe history.

Pros:
1. the miniature closely adheres to the artwork AND includes three varieties of missile launchers
2. the many parts can initially be a turnoff, but allows for multiple poses that only require pinning rather than cutting (which I am fine with, but others may not be)
3. the independent feet allows for more options when basing, which I think is very cool
4. mold lines were minimal and fairly easy to clean up, except for one

Cons:
1. the need to pin every joint can be a negative if you are not prepared for it; however, you sacrifice something for posability
2. the one mold line that was a concern was the socket in the torso for the waste -- I needed a 5/32" bit to drill that out

Finally, the big concern:
3. Something that I have noticed is that many of the newer miniatures have fairly shallow details. I don't know what the cause of this is, but I wonder if it has to do with the 3D sculpting tools and printing for the master. I compare the Ostwar and Highlander to older, hand-sculpted miniatures and there seems to be a clear difference. Panel lines seem to almost disappear and I am concerned that once I primer and paint, these lines will disappear. I'm not sure if this is something lost with the mold-making process or if this is from the master itself, but I did want to point it out.

StCptMara

• Major
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2021, 06:49:23 »
Finally, the big concern:
3. Something that I have noticed is that many of the newer miniatures have fairly shallow details. I don't know what the cause of this is, but I wonder if it has to do with the 3D sculpting tools and printing for the master. I compare the Ostwar and Highlander to older, hand-sculpted miniatures and there seems to be a clear difference. Panel lines seem to almost disappear and I am concerned that once I primer and paint, these lines will disappear. I'm not sure if this is something lost with the mold-making process or if this is from the master itself, but I did want to point it out.

I have been using Army Painter brush on primer almost exclusively, and find it goes really thin, but has good teeth. Maybe that would be a solution? (I live in Florida, where spray primer sucks: either it is too humid, or, since we only get non humid weather when we get the NW Florida Winter, too cold, for spray primers to be reliable)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 29 November 2021, 16:57:46 »
It doesn't matter which medium the model was sculpted in, light details are light details. Most of the models made in the last 6 or 7 years that have light detailing, I believe, were hand sculpted, such as the Dragon II and Templar III that I can name off the top of my head and, from the look of the torso missile launcher and arm panel lines, so is the Ostwar.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #41 on: 05 December 2021, 12:51:04 »
the zibler turret  :(

this required the full breadth of my experience, patience, and modest skill with tiny bits to not toss the teeny bits and go with the HPPC config

NOT recommended if you have tiny pieces that have to be glued into very small holes