Register Register

Author Topic: Alpha Strike and the MW:DA/AoD fanbase  (Read 3290 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
Alpha Strike and the MW:DA/AoD fanbase
« on: 12 April 2013, 19:26:24 »
As noted on other boards, the Quick-Strike rules currently buried in Strategic Operations are in the process of being spun off into their own supplemental rulebook; which will be known as Alpha Strike.

At the moment, the PDF unit card sets for QS/AS run only as far as TRO:3060, but the Master Unit List website has a number of Jihad-era units statted up; and in time, one hopes, the Dark Age minis in works such as Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries will get their turn to be put through the same conversion process.

So, in principle, we could one day see a brand new rulebook for Alpha Strike, and a set of Dark Age unit cards based on TRO:3145 done up to work with it.

But for those who came into the setting through MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction, my question is this: do you think that AS can become, in a sense, the spiritual successor to MW:DA/AoD?

Not in terms of game mechanics, of course. But in the broader sense of allowing players to re-use their Clix minis to fight things out in the Dark Age once more (or to slug it out in whichever eras end up being supported by the AS rulebook), and perhaps in helping to introduce new players into the broader BattleTech universe without having to dive headlong into Total Warfare. (Not to say that there is anything wrong with "classic" BT, only that it isn't necessarily for everyone.)

Or do you think that the nature of the MW:DA/AoD fanbase is such that AS wouldn't go over in quite the same way?
« Last Edit: 12 April 2013, 19:28:29 by Nerroth »

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
Re: Alpha Strike and the MW:DA/AoD fanbase
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2013, 21:15:47 »
The potential is certainly there ... I will at least check out the new rule book. One problem will be sustainability ... with no new plastic N-scale miniatures coming out (that I'm aware of), that might put a limit on new people coming in and picking it up. But with the sheer number of old MWDA minis out there, it makes sense to try and capitalize on that resource.

ChrisSymons1981

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2013, 05:27:13 »
One problem will be sustainability ... with no new plastic N-scale miniatures coming out (that I'm aware of), that might put a limit on new people coming in and picking it up. But with the sheer number of old MWDA minis out there, it makes sense to try and capitalize on that resource.

Hypothetically speaking, would there be a market for companies like IWM and the like to  make models to help out with this problem? They could possibly make the minis out of plastic/resin to help keep the appropriate costing down.
You Say Fiery Crash? I Say Dynamic Entry.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2013, 06:44:30 »
Plastic is a non-starter - the initial costs are way too high and the return on investment for a subset of BattleTech's fanbase would be way too low to make the money back quick enough.

Resin is more of an option, and IWM do have some small experience on that front.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2013, 08:14:00 »
I'd certainly consider picking them up ... I really don't know how many others would go for it ... certainly there's an active set of people that paint and mod the old minis that might ... but whether that's a large enough group to support production ... ?

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2013, 23:55:03 »
There is always the Museum scale line which is neat (I seriously need to pick up some Bmers). Every unseen except the OST's have been available from Japan at some point in the last 29 years in N-scale.

Speak not of the rule of twelve but know ye well that they are out there as well.

jasper_ward

• Corporal
  • The Wolf Pack Expands
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2013, 11:43:24 »
I've been using quick strike with dark age era games for awhile now, looks good, less scary when a new drops one. (makes sense since I have almost 1-3 of every mini that came out) and I don't see a reason to repurchase metal for what I already own) that said I also enjoy my metals for star league through jihad. I'm still debating pulling dials and rebasing since I haven't played a clix game in over 4 years

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2013, 12:18:55 »
My club and I play a number of different sci-fi games (Mech Attack, Pz8 Sci-fi, FWC, etc) with our MW minis that have been rebased. 

None of them has the patience for CBT, but I'm really hoping to get them into Alpha Strike when it is released as it seems to be more our speed/complexity.  I like other games too, but Alpha Strike and it's encompasing of any BT unit ( if you take the time to convert) really appeals to me.

I don't see any new N scale miniatures coming out as a result of alpha strike, but this really could put alot of MW figs back on the tabletop.
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/