Register Register

Author Topic: 0.48.0 Aerospace Movement Question  (Read 247 times)

ThePW

• Warrant Officer
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
0.48.0 Aerospace Movement Question
« on: 26 October 2021, 09:29:29 »
I know the concept of Rolling your Aerospace unit to bring forth less damaged armor into view towards your enemy units. What I'd like to know is, on a space map, can you Turn your facing but continue to travel in the desired direction, but allow you to bring more weapons to bare to a enemy unit (Example your moving from 0200 to 0205 at 5 Velocity and no increase in Thrust and you wish to turn your nose towards hex 0199 or 1998 while continue to coast into 0206+ at 5 Velocity)? Does MM allow that or will the game think that by turning, you want to start moving into that new hex-heading that your nose is facing (i.e. the game isn't Aerospace Rules accurate as yet)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: 0.48.0 Aerospace Movement Question
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2021, 09:50:04 »
I've not used it, but I believe there's an option in the Game Options to switch on the 'Vector Movement' optional rule. Is that what you're asking about?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2021, 10:05:47 »
As Simon points out this is entirely dependent on if using Vectored Movement or not.

So it's not really a question of is MegaMek doing things by the rules, it's a question of which rules is it using?

Default Aerospace rules would result in MegaMek thinking you were wanting to turn.  Vectored would not.

ThePW

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2021, 10:11:12 »
As Simon points out this is entirely dependent on if using Vectored Movement or not.

So it's not really a question of is MegaMek doing things by the rules, it's a question of which rules is it using?

Default Aerospace rules would result in MegaMek thinking you were wanting to turn.  Vectored would not.

Ok, TU. I knew it was either going to be 'able to do it' or an option-setting. Now a follow on question: Vectored Movement is something you desire to use in space but not in atmosphere (ground maps)?

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2021, 10:47:41 »
Vectored is for space only.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2021, 17:36:10 »
I'd guess in atmosphere it would be called "a flat spin".  8)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

ThePW

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2021, 19:22:15 »
Vectored is for space only.
so i need to make sure its NOT CHECKED when i play with aerospace on Ground Maps (or will it be ignored because the game knows its not on a space map)? I usually play with a saved list of options (based on year) so i just want to know if i can leave it selected as ON and not worry if the map in play is not space...
« Last Edit: 26 October 2021, 19:23:58 by ThePW »

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2021, 21:44:55 »
To be honest I don't play with ASF much so I'm not sure if MegaMek is coded to use the right rules for the right situation despite what is checked.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2021, 11:37:22 »
so i need to make sure its NOT CHECKED when i play with aerospace on Ground Maps (or will it be ignored because the game knows its not on a space map)? I usually play with a saved list of options (based on year) so i just want to know if i can leave it selected as ON and not worry if the map in play is not space...

MegaMek is smart enough that it applies the right movement rules based on the combat environment.  I've played space battles with vectored movement, then subsequent battles on the ground map with regular ground movement rules without messing with the options.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register