Register Register

Author Topic: At what point do you end a successful AtB campaign?  (Read 531 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
At what point do you end a successful AtB campaign?
« on: 15 August 2022, 08:54:59 »
This was partly inspired by a current General Discussion thread about the desired size of a mercenary force to play.  In a successful MekHQ/AtB campaign, when do you determine that you 'won' and roll up a new mercenary force?

I stop when my force becomes too much of a chore to manage.  Unfortunately that means tank and spaceship crews make this happen faster.  But I'm thinking if I got to that point, I'm doing something right and decide to quit ;D

Where do the rest of you call a successful game quits and start over again?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Flame_Draken

• Private
Re: At what point do you end a successful AtB campaign?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2022, 09:49:42 »
I usually start anew when I'm coming back to MekHQ after a long break.

I normally play a merc unit for a few months real time then something distracts me for a while.  The unit usually has grown to a regiment or larger formation by this point and coming back means I take time figuring out what I was doing before. 

Lanceman

• Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2022, 10:11:24 »
One option instead of quitting/starting fresh is the cataclysmic event. Your unit's too big? Turn off AtB for a bit and send them on a custom mission where DOOM falls on their head. Fight hard, be ravaged, and come out with a leaner, meaner force ready to be rebuilt into something different.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2022, 12:00:01 »
One option instead of quitting/starting fresh is the cataclysmic event. Your unit's too big? Turn off AtB for a bit and send them on a custom mission where DOOM falls on their head. Fight hard, be ravaged, and come out with a leaner, meaner force ready to be rebuilt into something different.

That sounds like a neat idea and a fun way to put a nuke on the map  >:D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2022, 12:09:51 »
A few times it's when things are going predictably well, and another contract is reduced to just grinding it out as opposed to trying something different.  As others noted, sometimes it's been when the unit is too large (that was around hitting a Level IV at the end of the Jihad).

Most of the time it's when a new release comes out that solve a few annoying issues, and it's easier to start fresh than transfer things over.  Not so much at this point, as I've modified the availability XMLs so that takes a bit of diff-checking to merge in added units.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2022, 12:20:45 »
For me, it is usually when I decide to play a different era.  For example, playing a game now that I started in 3034 and am currently in 3050.  I will probably start a new one in the 3rd Succession War next.  Or, like dgorsman said, when a new version comes out I will just start up a new campaign.

Ironboot

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2022, 12:44:53 »
I like to start around the year 3000 and play up to/around the Clan invasion.  I will start of with around 10-12 mechs and build up to a battalion of mechs with a lance or two of armor and a couple of infantry units.

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2022, 07:28:04 »
You guys have successful campaigns!?  :))