Register Register

Author Topic: Bridges...brain issue  (Read 421 times)

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
Bridges...brain issue
« on: 30 September 2022, 17:54:05 »
So, I've apparently forgot how bridges work in the Map editor.

I have level 0 map with a road up the middle.  The road crosses a -15 level gorge, requiring a 2 hex bridge.

What level is the bridge set to?  I thought the bridge would be level 0, same as the road in the preceding hexes before the gorge, and after the gorge?

Bridge level 0
Hex level -15

But when done this way, i cross the bridge.  Swear I've done it this way before and it worked.  What am I doing wrong?

Using Stable 48 version of Megamek.

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
Re: Bridges...brain issue
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2022, 21:02:54 »
the vehicle/mek needs to be in 'climb mode'

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2022, 22:43:42 »
So, I've apparently forgot how bridges work in the Map editor.

I have level 0 map with a road up the middle.  The road crosses a SUB-15 level gorge that is two hexes across, requiring a 2 hex bridge.

What level is the bridge set to?  I thought the bridge would be level 0, same as the road in the preceding hexes before the gorge, and after the gorge?

Bridge level 0
Hex level sub level-15

But when done this way, i cross the bridge.  Swear I've done it this way before and it worked.  What am I doing wrong?

Using Stable 48 version of Megamek.

what is the CF of the bridge? If the unit crossing that bridge doesn't exceed the bridge's CF, when the unit SHOULD cross the bridge. Are you trying to create a situation where that bridge is intentionally causes units to fall into the gorge?

the vehicle/mek needs to be in 'climb mode'
I thought 'Climb Mode' was for making a unit travel into a building intentionally?
« Last Edit: 30 September 2022, 22:46:54 by ThePW »

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2022, 04:17:19 »
Its a fun little quirk of the game that it treats bridges as buildings as far as moving is concerned.  You have to use climb to use the bridge otherwise the unit will try to go 'through' the bridge instead of going on the bridge.

Also, on custom maps you make the bridge level the same level you want to cross, so a 15 level deep gorge will need the bridge to be 15 levels high.

Register