Register Register

Author Topic: MRBC Fee, Advance, Signing Bonus - what is the point?  (Read 1100 times)

Strategiusz

• Recruit
MRBC Fee, Advance, Signing Bonus - what is the point?
« on: 18 August 2018, 06:46:16 »
Advance 0-25%
Isn't it always better to get money as early as possible so the maximum (25%) should be always taken?

Signing bunus 0-10%
Looks like free money. Why anyone would like to set this to less than 10%?

MRBC Fee
Why to pay this? Has it any impact to the game?

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
Re: MRBC Fee, Advance, Signing Bonus - what is the point?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2018, 16:05:33 »
Those options allow you to set the flavor of your campaign. Is is one where mercenaries have to compete for every credit and barely scrape by? Take a low advance and no signing bonus. Is being a mercenary a lucrative choice? Large advances and signing bonus. You could also use them to make variations in factions. Kurita is not likely to give very good terms, while Steiner tends to be more generous. Or you decide how the employer deals with mercs. The fee is paid if the MRBC takes a role in negotiating and securing the contract. It's up to you to decide whether that's how you're getting offers.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2018, 17:17:48 »
Advance 0-25%
Isn't it always better to get money as early as possible so the maximum (25%) should be always taken?

Signing bunus 0-10%
Looks like free money. Why anyone would like to set this to less than 10%?

MRBC Fee
Why to pay this? Has it any impact to the game?

as I understand it.

advance is much like the np30 contracts many retail businesses use, its essentially a loan against the value of the contract. to use an example, you negotiate a contract for a year of duty you get a certain percentage up front, to pay your expenses incurred while performing the contract, but the people that front said money want a return (typically ~5-10%)

signing bonus, the contract issuer is desperate to get someone to take the job, so they offer some extra money up front, to "sweeten" the deal.

the MRBC fees are that they get involved in guaranteeing that everyone involved acts in good faith for the terms of the contract.

Mukaikubo

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2018, 19:26:56 »
Additionally, unless my memory fails, those things were all involved in the contract generation shown in the Mercenaries field manual that was the only thing going when MekHQ was getting off the ground, and nobody's really wanted to take them out once we got a ruleset (ATB) that doesn't use those at all.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2018, 20:03:14 »
These strike me as more of a roleplay element not really suited to fully automated play like against the bot. A large advance payment is a serious measure of trust by the employer and would really only be extended to a unit that has a reputation for sticking things out. Otherwise you risk mercenaries ducking out on you with a hefty chunk of your money already in their pocket when things go wrong.

The signing bonus would to me seem more like an additional incentive to get a specific unit on the job. It's not something you put into the contract itself, but something you extend on an individual basis. It also might be useful for a bit of shady manipulation, like the signing bonus goes directly to the commander rather than the company warchest.

Of course, this is assuming you aren't working with a stupid or desperate employer. In which case you might find the advance and signing bonus are the only thing's you're able to collect when things go wrong with them.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2018, 21:56:44 »
Advance - generally no reason not to take the 25%. If you fail the contract early, you still keep whatever money you got. The rule itself is from Field Manual: Mercenaries (Revised), which stipulates that you can take up to 25% of the contract payment in advance from the escrow account set up to pay your guys.

Signing Bonus - there was a mechanism in Field Manual: Mercenaries (Revised) where you could convert unused negotiating points from that system to straight up bonus money, so this feature is probably there to support that. I use a house rule for AtB, where I can convert unused negotiation rerolls to a bonus percentage point.

MRBC fee - this is purely a roleplaying mechanism, but is also a rule from FMM:R, as most "reputable" contracts go through the MRB or MRBC. I usually leave it on, as I'm pretty sure my battalion of mech-equipped veterans isn't taking 100+ million-c-bill contracts from random sketchy guys in fedoras in the back of an Arby's.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2018, 22:01:47 »
MRBC Fee also has to cover the cost of the MRBC having to hire a few guns themselves so that the sketchy guys in fedoras from the back table at Arby's are deterred from showing up to tell them who everybody's new favorite units are.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2018, 23:56:19 by Easy »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2018, 08:43:30 »
The advance, signing bonus, and MRBC boxes are all from Field Manual Mercenaries and earlier rules. If you are using those you might want to pick up a PDF copy of those rules to fully understand what they are for and from. The current rules from Campaign Operations makes no use of any of those, though you can continue to make use of them in your own campaign (among other retired rules).

Additionally, unless my memory fails, those things were all involved in the contract generation shown in the Mercenaries field manual that was the only thing going when MekHQ was getting off the ground, and nobody's really wanted to take them out once we got a ruleset (ATB) that doesn't use those at all.

Highly inaccurate. AtB is NOT official BattleTech while the rules from FMM(r) and Cam Ops are. Unless MekHQ no longer supports the canon rules for Field Manual Mercs the MRBC fee will go nowhere. MekHQ was designed as a means to track and BT campaign based on (then) current rules. AtB came along as a means to more easily create said campaign but also changed the canon rules in some ways. As such it was added to HQ to automate contract and scenario generation, not as a rules replacement.