Register Register

Author Topic: How Big Of A unit can you make On Mega mek HQ  (Read 787 times)

warhammer74

• Sergeant
  • Oh look its a bird
How Big Of A unit can you make On Mega mek HQ
« on: 14 July 2021, 02:37:44 »
Was wondering how big of a unit TOE wise can you make on MekHq?  May not be playable but how big division size to big.

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
Re: How Big Of A unit can you make On Mega mek HQ
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2021, 08:05:17 »
I think we have players with unit sizes in the low 30k's.

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2021, 18:46:06 »
The biggest one I heard of, and iirc tried to load, was the Wolf Clan Touman from sometime in 3050-3060 timeframe.  Yes, the entire Wolf Clan ground and aerospace force.

I don't recall if there were any assets bigger than an ASF or lighter than BA, but it had everything in between.

Edit:  Just looked and I still have all 45 megs of it, and it threw up errors loading dropships, jumpships and warships.  Not surprising really, as the file I have is dated from 2013 and wont run on modern MHQ.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2021, 18:50:37 by Flame_Draken »

rjhancock

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2021, 21:31:12 »
I think we also have a campaign file from someone that is in the 300M range.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2021, 08:24:12 »
MegaMek's force generator will make entire armies.  I've had it generate entire Clan Truman's for kicks :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

epic 2.0

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2021, 14:41:47 »
speed starts to degrade I find once you get to about brigade size or bigger.  I have the equivalent of an SLDF mechanized division built, over 10k personnel and 30 years of game history.  Now at approx 106 MB unpacked.  ... the file has also been thru more versions of mekhq than I can even remember.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2021, 18:06:07 »
That sounds like it's living up to your username!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2021, 08:22:50 »
speed starts to degrade I find once you get to about brigade size or bigger.  I have the equivalent of an SLDF mechanized division built, over 10k personnel and 30 years of game history.  Now at approx 106 MB unpacked.  ... the file has also been thru more versions of mekhq than I can even remember.

Gosh, my campaign might end up like that.  I currently have a Trinary of 'mechs and a Star of aerospace fighters.  I have another Trinary's worth of soon-to-be abtakha that are going to form an additional Supernova Trinary I will control, probably in another Cluster.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2021, 18:36:03 »
Mine is good sized, though small compared to some others

I have 10 Warships (all sizes)

1 Jumpship (but it is a Leviathan)

5 DS (all sizes)

44 Aero

12 Gun Emplacements

2 Naval Ships

17 VTOLs

4 Support

86 Infantry units

45 BA

654 Mechs (but I sell off most of the ones I dont think I would use and the number has been as high as 900 mechs)

and it is only 41 MB

« Last Edit: 27 July 2021, 18:38:24 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

Cambo

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2021, 02:41:43 »
The biggest one I heard of, and iirc tried to load, was the Wolf Clan Touman from sometime in 3050-3060 timeframe.  Yes, the entire Wolf Clan ground and aerospace force.

I don't recall if there were any assets bigger than an ASF or lighter than BA, but it had everything in between.

Edit:  Just looked and I still have all 45 megs of it, and it threw up errors loading dropships, jumpships and warships.  Not surprising really, as the file I have is dated from 2013 and wont run on modern MHQ.
I was the author of that file.

The way MekHQ loaded saves changed, I talked to a dev and they fixed it for me.  It briefly was part of the dev releases, but at 50+ megs it was considered too big for the release package (I think it may have pushed for the gz compressed file format to be developed though).

Anyways here's the fixed version.  It's not been updated in quite a while, and some of the data here has since been invalidated by the lastest Tukayyid book. 

I was thinking about updating the icons, but it's a lot of work.  Anyways here ya go.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3bdslpqb6awtvl/Clan%20Wolf%20TOE30520606.cpnx.gz

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2021, 17:34:00 »
I was the author of that file.

The way MekHQ loaded saves changed, I talked to a dev and they fixed it for me.  It briefly was part of the dev releases, but at 50+ megs it was considered too big for the release package (I think it may have pushed for the gz compressed file format to be developed though).

Anyways here's the fixed version.  It's not been updated in quite a while, and some of the data here has since been invalidated by the lastest Tukayyid book. 

I was thinking about updating the icons, but it's a lot of work.  Anyways here ya go.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3bdslpqb6awtvl/Clan%20Wolf%20TOE30520606.cpnx.gz

I'd recommend waiting on force icon changes, as a rework is currently under way.