Register Register

Author Topic: Not Understanding the RAT Generator  (Read 633 times)

johnboyjjb

• Sergeant
Not Understanding the RAT Generator
« on: 17 July 2022, 18:25:24 »
Looking at the default -editratgen tables, it looks like the Lyrans, the FWL, and General all have access to the Mackie in both 2398 & 2440.

BUT when I try to create a mech lance in 2439 for any faction using RAT Generator, Formation Builder, or Force Generator, the only unit that shows up is the Lumberjack and only when Cargo is checked (or a few other specialty checks).

Am I understanding something wrong or is it not working as it should be?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Not Understanding the RAT Generator
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2022, 18:34:31 »
Looking at the default -editratgen tables, it looks like the Lyrans, the FWL, and General all have access to the Mackie in both 2398 & 2440.

BUT when I try to create a mech lance in 2439 for any faction using RAT Generator, Formation Builder, or Force Generator, the only unit that shows up is the Lumberjack and only when Cargo is checked (or a few other specialty checks).

Am I understanding something wrong or is it not working as it should be?

The unit is introduced in 2439 so you want see it appearing until 2440 on the RAT generator.  It was a decision we made because we don't know when a unit is developed in the early and the logic was in that year the numbers would be very low.

You can open an bug report and request we consider the year the unit is introduced. Links in my sig

I've opened an issue on this.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2022, 18:51:41 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

johnboyjjb

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2022, 21:20:07 »
I see. I just have to grind through another year. Thanks.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2022, 10:01:05 »
Speaking of RATs - are units in the MegaMek RATs drawn using 2D6 or D12, or some other dice?  I was wondering about it based on a current thread in the General Discussion board that mentions that unit commonality isn't supposed to be a thing with RATs, but 2D6 is used to roll them anyway.  This biases the RATs against units assigned to the edges of the bell curve.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2022, 10:36:15 »
Speaking of RATs - are units in the MegaMek RATs drawn using 2D6 or D12, or some other dice?  I was wondering about it based on a current thread in the General Discussion board that mentions that unit commonality isn't supposed to be a thing with RATs, but 2D6 is used to roll them anyway.  This biases the RATs against units assigned to the edges of the bell curve.

RAT text files are in the format { unit name }, { weight }, with the unit chosen by a random number using those weights.

For a 2d6 system, this means you'd use a weight of 1 for rolls of 2 and 12, 2 for 3 and 11, and so forth, up to a weight of 6 for a roll of 7.
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2022, 10:44:21 »

It's weight based.  Check the ...docs/RAT Stuff folder, specifically rat-generator.txt.  Also helps to look at the raw XML files e.g. ...data/ForceGenerator/2750.xml.

Code: [Select]
The core of the generation system is the availability rating.
This is at a minimum a value in the range 1-10 that indicates how likely it is to find that unit in a given faction's military in a given year:
1-2: Very rare
3-4: Rare
5-6: Common
7-8: Very Common
9-10: Ubiquitous

The availability rating is converted to a weighted value by the formula wt = 2^(av/2).
Every two steps the av code increases doubles the weight and every two steps it decreases cuts the weight in half.
Numbers above 10 and below 1 are possible (-1 av is half as common as 1), but 1-10 is the range for base values.
Av rating of zero has a special meaning in the data files.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2022, 11:29:20 »
It's weight based.  Check the ...docs/RAT Stuff folder, specifically rat-generator.txt.  Also helps to look at the raw XML files e.g. ...data/ForceGenerator/2750.xml.

Code: [Select]
The core of the generation system is the availability rating.
This is at a minimum a value in the range 1-10 that indicates how likely it is to find that unit in a given faction's military in a given year:
1-2: Very rare
3-4: Rare
5-6: Common
7-8: Very Common
9-10: Ubiquitous

The availability rating is converted to a weighted value by the formula wt = 2^(av/2).
Every two steps the av code increases doubles the weight and every two steps it decreases cuts the weight in half.
Numbers above 10 and below 1 are possible (-1 av is half as common as 1), but 1-10 is the range for base values.
Av rating of zero has a special meaning in the data files.

The RAT generator is a completely different beast than normal RATs and should be accessed and adjusted via the Editor.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2022, 11:35:19 »
Thanks for the explanation  :thumbsup:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register