Register Register

Author Topic: How to start megamek headless?  (Read 395 times)

demiskeleton

• Recruit
How to start megamek headless?
« on: 17 January 2021, 01:49:18 »
Is there a way to start megamek headless and make it play as the princessbot? I know mekhq does something but is it starting headless or just having bots join via the already running client for the player?

I ask because there is mekwars the persistent game mode but that is all pvp and to be honest me and my friends are casual and prefer the PVE with persistent campaign so i was wondering if i could hack together some kind of persistent multiplayer campaign but would need to enable the server to start games with princessbots on its side.

sshagent

• Recruit
Re: How to start megamek headless?
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2021, 08:42:20 »
Yeah this is something I'd kinda like to see.
I host a dedicated server, and me and my friends regular do cooperative megamek's versus hordes of bots.  Excellent fun.  What would make it better is some kind of campaign management.  Being able to fire up scenarios from the command line (along with the bot) means i could knock up some scripts to generate content, fire up servers...mail friends their battle is ready.  and potentially process the results on a leaderboard.  But not possible :/  Sadly I'm not a java guy either

oh and just in case you just want to start a dedicated server and thats all you wanted its...

/usr/bin/java  -jar  MegaMek.jar -dedicated -port 2346 -password mytopsecretpassword
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 08:45:38 by sshagent »

rjhancock

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2021, 16:31:25 »
MegaMek needs more work to get to this point, but these are all things I'd also like to see and trying to plan out for either the 0.49 dev or 0.51 dev run. Once I have the time to work on it.

sshagent

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2021, 14:38:15 »
Sounds promising.  Thanks for the reply. 

rjhancock

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2021, 10:32:00 »
Keep in mind these are things I want to add that I believe would be of benefit to the overall package. Does not mean the core team will accept said contributions.