Register Register

Author Topic: Two ATB campaign questions  (Read 1708 times)

plothos

• Recruit
Two ATB campaign questions
« on: 29 October 2021, 12:00:19 »
I've read a lot of posts about the first of these inquiries, but haven't found much about the second. I've read what I can find in the ATB documentation, but questions persist, so I thought I'd float them, because I feel like I'm missing something important.

The first concerns shares and retirement. I know that I can turn off retirement rolls and that I can modify the rolls as well, so I'm not so much asking because it's breaking my game, but more that I'm wondering "That can't really be how this is supposed to work, can it?"

Basically, and I'm new to all this, running my first try at a campaign. I gave myself a bunch of staff and a good chunk of starting money, some good mechs, etc. because I knew it'd be complicated and I didn't need it to be punishing before I had it figured out. So I was fine getting past this and playing on. But omg, that first after-contract retirement roll was a big wtf moment! I take a contract for some 20mil, and get a few mil in salvage along the way, spend some on repairs, etc. I have shares enabled (I think it was on by default?) because it says it may help retention and I wanted to keep a happy crew and get them leveled up. But the shares hit me like a freight train at the end of the contract, to the tune of 20mil! So at first, I'm like, wait what the actual frick? I spend 20 mil at the end of a 20 mil contract after paying these guys a salary the whole time. Like, they seriously expect all gross revenue in return on top of salary?? As far as I could see, there wasn't any way to adjust the amounts? But this is like 1mil per dude, when they're getting paid like 10-20k over 6 months. So, they expect a bonus of 50x salary at the end??? Then, after paying this, 1/3 of them "retire," which is to say the 25 year old mech driver who signed on for 2k/month up and leaves after 6 months and gets a 5mil payout as some kind of golden parachute or something? WTF is this? Ahem, anyway, so yeah. I know I can turn it off, and I have, but what the heck is up? Is it really this broken, or do I have a setting to adjust somewhere? I like the idea a lot. I don't mind paying the pilots more. It just seems like feast or famine here on the staff management tip.

Second question:
I am trying to buy some standard, run-of-the-mill medium lasers. I've had my full-time Admin on it for 6-8 months. She can't find a one. It's listed as "impossible" and a mouse-over tooltip in one menu says it's "extinct." I'm very confused. To refit or repair so far I seem to have to use the GM gift, which feels like cheating, and I want to use this system properly. It just doesn't seem to be possible to buy basic stuff. I'm sure this one is pilot error, but I have wracked my brain looking for settings or other ways to order and can't find it. A little help with the economy here would be appreciated.

Thanks guys! I love this program, and that's why I want so much to understand and make better use of it. I appreciate all the help you've been giving me.

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Two ATB campaign questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2021, 20:20:12 »
On the second point, fresh starting units have very low unit ratings, which makes even basic purchases difficult to impossible.  I recommend staying away from long term contracts to start with, as multiple successful missions build up that unit ranking high enough to where you *can* purchase that stuff.  Recon raids and short objective raids are ideal.  Also, salvage rights are very important early on where you can't purchase items yet.  Strip everything you find and don't plan on fielding.

The "extinct" bit is a bit puzzling.  If you've still got it, post a screenshot.  I've seen similar oddities, such as RAC ammo unavailable for purchase even though the weapons were available.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2021, 05:43:52 »
On the first point... the shares payout is a bit higher than normal, but definitely working as intended.

The retirement rules are extremely harsh, and I've got a rewrite project planned because of it
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

plothos

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2021, 09:59:07 »
On the first point... the shares payout is a bit higher than normal, but definitely working as intended.

The retirement rules are extremely harsh, and I've got a rewrite project planned because of it
Awesome, thanks. If I may add my two cents, there should be some kind of loyalty system or something as well as the payouts being based on tenure with the group. A simple model for loyalty might be found in some of the Romance of the Three Kingdom games, which integrated a loyalty score, ways to increase with gifts and visits, as well as personality conflicts causing drops, etc. Don't know if you were looking for ideas or not, but figured I'd make a suggestion.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. This is a great program already!

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2021, 21:25:21 »
I am looking for ideas, but I'm keeping it isolated to a channel on our Discord for my sanity.

It will also be my sounding board once I start the project.

And glad you're enjoying it
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to go...
Re: One More ATB campaign question
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2021, 18:35:17 »
because i do not want to create another thread when this one can work as well...

Ok: 0.48.0

Something I'm noticing. At some point during the set up process while selecting units, I am losing the ability to delete any bots generated, both in terms of deleting the unneeded bot or even changing aspects (such as individual camo, switching units to different bots or to my force or even pilots). Parts of the interaction become greyed out and thus unable to edit or even remove the bot or it's assigned units. This seems to be happening even 'once in a while' so i cannot exactly determine if "it's Me" or not. Is it actually me, screwing up?

1) Start up lobby from MHQ
2) Once my force is propagated, select Game Options (in this case, rules for 3069, to ensure the correct year IG)
3) Create Bot(s) with desired settings
4) Set Battlefield start locations
5) Add units (friendly, enemy)
6) Edit Bots to reflect designated targets or buildings <--- this the problem?
7) Maps, planetary settings
8) Start shooting