Register Register

Author Topic: My attempt at updating Noble rules for Stratcon  (Read 962 times)

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
My attempt at updating Noble rules for Stratcon
« on: 26 May 2022, 06:45:20 »
Hi all, I've been procrastinating HEAVILY, and as such, have decided to update the Noble rules to make them play more nicely with Stratcon. In the process I've vastly simplified them (less scenario creation etc.), and would appreciate some playtesting if anyone has time.

In brief, the Noble rules turn MekHQ from a Mercenary mechcommander simulator into a Minor noble mechcommander simulator, it's just intended as a bit of a fun alternative to main MekHQ, and something a bit different to try. It involves owning, protecting, and expanding your own fiefdom, as well as a little bit of mech prototyping as well.

If, like me, you would reach a point in MekHQ where you were overflowing with cash, and it took most of the fun out of it for you, well, give these a try, you'll never be wealthy again! Plus it adds a bit more permanence and fluff for those of you who are fluff heavy, like me (woo Battletech Sims!).

I would appreciate any playtesting, and any constructive feedback, comments, and suggestions. I have created a series of videos on Youtube to accompany the rules just in case any of them are confusing. I'll link them here later once they're uploaded, but for now, the latest version of the rules are attached to this post.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Re: My attempt at updating Noble rules for Stratcon
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2022, 13:14:49 »
Update to 0.26, minor changes only:

Updated taxes/costs to yearly
Extra line to explain that the Character Bio bonuses and penalties must be added manually

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2022, 19:36:25 »
For anyone whose noticed shared stuff from my unit generator, MoleMan is a contributor to that and per my policy has full permission to utilise the elements he has for his sheet.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2022, 08:06:27 »
Ok, so a significant update, and hopefully my final one, this is as far as I'm planning to take them, so if anyone wants to make drastic changes, feel free to run with it, I've had a lot of fun playing them! Thanks to everyone who has contributed, if anyone is interested I'm planning to stream a playthrough of it in the near future, and I'll be using callsigns from those people and other significant figures in the MM community.

Instead of running a mercenary company, these rules are suggested for running a game as a noble. You take the place of a newly ennobled Baronet on a planet of your choosing, and you must juggle the demands of repelling invaders, earning C bills, assisting your Liege lord, developing your lands, and nurturing your successor, all whilst balancing the books!
The aim is to replicate the petty squabbles and naked ambition of Inner Sphere nobles, who are just as likely to try and take their neigbours lands as they are to fight honourably for their Faction leader, and most importantly, secure fame and fortune whilst doing it!

Here is a link to the document and the MM and MHQ options I used to create the rules, feel free to use your own but be wary that they will likely have a small impact upon difficulty, and you may need to make minor tweaks to the Noble ruleset.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bqrc3gZeHEvOFEMOM0Ys4OkLdVU42q5K?usp=sharing

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2022, 09:04:47 »
Very interesting rules, and could even be adapted to RPG style play too if people want.

One idea from another RPG was that workers on your land produced 'gold' and 'service' income.  Gold is obviously used to put money in your pocket, and can be used to hire mercenaries.  Service income is used to produce stuff on the landhold (i.e. building a 'Small Castle').  Could that be a useful option for these rules?

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2022, 06:16:29 »
It's an interesting one, and would replace the 2d6 roll every year I suppose. I won't add it in but feel free to give it a go and see if it works for you?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2022, 13:26:19 »
It's an interesting one, and would replace the 2d6 roll every year I suppose. I won't add it in but feel free to give it a go and see if it works for you?

I'd try to set it up as follows:
The service income gets the 2d6 roll, but you lose all unspent service income at the end of each quarter.  So using the existing sheet, on a 2d6 roll of 9 the Heavy Urban gets 9.6M C-Bills per year.  Converting this to Service Income would change it to 2.4M C-Bills per quarter, but if you can't defend whatever is being built with that Income then you lose all of it.  So if you were building a project costing 5M C-Bills, had managed to keep the location safe for 2 quarters (4.8M C-Bills spent so far), then a raider gets in during the third quarter (where you were spending the last 200k C-Bills) and damages a key item on the map, then the entire 5M C-Bill project is lost.

For actual income, you would only get half the 2d6 roll.  So the Heavy Urban would only produce 4.8M per year as money in your pocket.

You do get 50% more income, but 2/3 of your income can only be used for local projects, instead of being used to hire off-world experts to help uplift your steading, or pay for salaries for mercenaries, or purchase additional weaponry/armor/equipment.  You also take the risk that if a Raider gets in during a Quarter to destroy the on-map MacGuffin, then all the Service income for that Quarter is lost.

One note on the Noble Ruleset tab is that cell B77 says that Maintenance Cost is 1/10 the purchase cost, but cells F83:F90 have the Maintenance calculated by taking the Purchase cost and dividing by 100.

Another way to start would be to change the 2d6 chart on the 'Noble Ruleset' tab, cells D58:D68 to the following:
2 - Badlands
3 - Wetlands
4 - Badlands
5 - Hills
6 - Mountains
7 - Wetlands
8 - Wooded
9 - Coastal
10 - Flatlands
11 - Light Urban
12 - Heavy Urban

Then state that during the start (cell B51), you roll 2d6-2, with any result less than 2 treated as 2.

So when starting out, the percentages of getting the terrain types is:
Badlands - 30.56%
Coastal - 5.56%
Flatlands - 2.78%
Hills - 16.67%
Mountains - 13.89%
Wetlands - 22.22%
Wooded - 8.33%

The least valuable land is the most likely to be allocated to a new noble, and the extremely valuable Flatlands are the least likely to be allocated.  So the player gets plenty of land to work on, and potentially the GM can allow the player to convert some of the terrain (i.e. spending lots of money to convert Badlands to Wooded terrain for a 3* income boost)  Mountains might be worked on by MinerMechs to be converted into Hills (+50% income boost)

For regular 2d6 rolls, the results are as follows:
Badlands - 11.11%
Coastal - 11.11%
Flatlands - 8.33%
Hills - 11.11%
Mountains - 13.89%
Urban, Heavy - 2.78%
Urban, Light - 5.56%
Wetlands - 22.22%
Wooded - 13.89%

Here the Mountains, Wetlands, and Wooded terrain is the most likely to be acquired.  Not sure how that would affect the game.